Vidya shouldn't be a business

Turning video game development into a business killed it.
Instead of people wanting to make a good/interesting game they just want to make a product that sells. Overall quality has suffered tremendously from this.
Indie developers could have saved this but instead they too just want to make a quick buck.

No one wants to make great games anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0G9gCNz2Xcw&#t=2m56s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wait…was it ever NOT a business?

>Holla Forums "capitalism did this" thread
Out.

No, gaming used to be fully communist back when games were good. Remember, comrade?

Anything can be a hobby and anything can be a business.
You can shove things up your ass for fun, or broadcast it online and get paid to do it.
Does it stop being fun?
If you give in to the demands of the people giving you money, maybe, as you gotta keep to a schedule and won't be able to just do it whenever you feel like it.
The key is moderation, compromise, make the games you want to make but also mkake some money in the process.
Good video game development is all about something Holla Forums will never understand: finesse.

It was always a business aside from the creation if Pong you retard.
People should eat shitshitno matter how ba it is if its marketed well enough.
That and brand loyalty plus globalisation which doesnt happen with smaller studios.

Kill yourself

No you kill yourself Holla Forumsirgin mobile-tard.

Gaming was always a part of business, you've just grown up but threw away your economics book, that or you ate the damn thing

What?

You heard me you racist transfaggot.

Again, what?

Lel, is that really a thing sjws do? I mean writing the cis part in racist in italics?

Capitalism didn't do this. High turn-out numbers for people attending universities did this. When everyone goes to uni, degrees and what not are valued less and less, since almost everyone has one.
This is basically a similar effect to affirmative action. The industry is shit simply because the people in it are shit.

The lack of a proper meitorcarcy did this.

This +

Are you fucking autistic? Can you not read English you hetero-normative furry otherkin degenerate?

You suck for bumping this thread you gay fucking Holla Forumsyp.

Found the vegan book eater

You wish, faggot.

Nuke the Nips again, ==now==.

Overall quality suffered because of the exponential growth of the cost of a game. You have to make a million seller to be able to recoup the costs of making a good game to today's standards in graphics, audio, gameplay, everything. So yeah, you either sacrifice in some of these fields (like indie devs do), move to a third world country to pay your employees less (honestly surprised not more games are designed in the developed world and sent to be programmed in india or something) or whore the shit out of your game to sell it.

It's a pretty similar situation to that of movies. Whatever Marvel shits out will sell a lot because of aggressive marketing campaigns and a plot aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Is that the fault of big bad capitalism? Not really no, you can just diss the high budget productions and retreat to more indie shit, some of which is good. And that applies to both film and video games.

Is that the fault of the shit industry? Not really, the industry just reacts to what the average motherfucker wants. Which is, graphics. You can jerk off to pretty pixels, but it's harder to jerk off to tight gameplay.

games as a business may have hurt community utopian pc gamers, but in reality if games never became a major industry we would have never seen the likes of shadow of the colossus, just as an example.

Games used to be more diverse in how they would be broadcast and advertised across the world, with both Japanese and Western games getting shown off thoroughly at major trade shows and traditional advertisement in the late 90s and early 00s. These days you are likely to see 10 Western game ads for every 1 Japanese game ad. I think the obvious agenda against japanese games by western journalists has hurt them tremendously, and hurt the western industry significantly.

Ultimately, the true enemies are the normalfags that make up the LCM. All we can do is scream at them to inform them of their shit taste in vidya and hope some listen.

How?
You're stuck here screaming at other people that have your same exact opinion, normalfags don't know this place exists.
Or that you exist.
They don't hear you, the only people that hear you are those that are already in Holla Forums.
You're screaming into an eco chamber.

¬_¬

All you have to do is try and find good games

It's out of early access by the way

Nothing should be a business. Capitalism has always been shit.

In communism, the whole state is one huge business.

NeetSoc is another autistic materialistic ideology about turning your heritage into a manufacturing machine.

I'm a distributist, okay. I don't care about high civilization and welfare and stuff. I just want people to actually have a sense of sharing goods and job ownership.

I mean what good is the internet if all you're falling for is what's the most marketed?

Oh no, I meant IRL. That is, if you ever go outside you fucking NEET Holla Forumstarded nigger.

FUCKING MODERATES

Yes because games back then were so much better.

Were you homeschooled as a kid or something?
You're the biggest sperg i've seen on Holla Forums, and that's saying something.

That makogif needs some music to go along with it.

Clearly you don't remember the sperglord with "a wife and three kids"

At least console games knew their place.

No, I'm saying that you're absolutely retarded to call me that.

Are you implying I don't have those?

And I'm saying you're a fucking kike if you don't think you're a moderate, you SJW nigger.

fucking up redtext
get out gnew/fag

FUCK YOU
U
C
K

Y
O
U

You're a cuck tbh.

It was always a business. If it weren't then games would have never progressed beyond the most basic form of RPGs and shitty text adventures. You'd still be playing shit like Elona and nothing else. Can you honestly say that would be enough to retain your interest in the hobby? I understand what you're trying to say, but you've definitely worded it wrong. It's not the developers fault gamers are some of most cucked and stupid consumers in history, if enough people had really shown they weren't going to take stupid shit like horse armor then we never would have started down the very real slippery slope. When it was always about money you can't really blame businesses for taking the opportunity when customers are lining up, cash in hand to get a corporate cock up their ass.

NO U

No. Games have been a business since day one. The problem is how the business is run, not business in itself.

I wish summer would fucking end.

Sure, very few of these games even come close to PS2 era games

But who says you won't enjoy these games?

After all having fun is the whole point of playing video games, isn't it?

Two more then I'm done unless someone wants a recommendation.

There's a reason why I posted a trailer for Infinity instead of Zero.

I want to make great games, user. Trying to skip the low-tier indie bit. Talking to investors about an asynchronous scrolling shmup in which you customize a defense grid of drones to ward off other players's customized ships, and I'm starting on mobile! HAHAHAHAHA

No timers, energy bars, cash performance items, or gay shit like that. Want to bring it to other platforms following the inevitable iOS success and expand the game itself as I do.

**After that, my second project is a 3d mmorpg in which the class you select determines whether you play the game as a shooter, micro-management rts, puzzle game, cuhrazee action title, or dogfighter, with lore jusitification for all of these.*

western indie games, eh, probably won't have any highs and be a dull, boring experience in mediocrity

for a 27 minute long game this was one of the most satisfying games I've played. sequel is supposed to be longer.

You do know you're on Holla Forumsirgin mobile's data plan, right?

Follow your dreams faggot.

Just fuck up my spoiler, hombre.

Note: Mostly a multiplayer title.

I knew you'd show up, carry the torch buddy. We may not have similar opinions but all we can do is try and hope people play what we post.

I really wouldn't try this as a second project. Just trust me on this.

I don't care. I know someone out there plays what I post and I hope they enjoy it, and maybe in turn they'll post games they enjoyed and someone else, maybe myself would play it.

In fact, if you are an indie developer, hell, a developer of any budget tier you'd be stupid to ignore comiket every year. At that point you're deliberately sticking your head in the sand and competing only locally, with competition who's only inspiration is nostalgia and their contemporary, local competitors. You're destined to stay forgettable, mediocre, and boring. Just look at indivisible compared to valkyrie profile. At a glance you can tell immediately which one is more fun to play, even if you've played neither.

thanks m8, even if I am naturally adversarial I appreciate the gesture.

I love the western game industry, and when I see how it's suffering and how people refuse to say it, insisting it is the Japanese industry that is suffering, I'm noticing a cancerous pattern that spells the death for Western excellence I adored so much from the 90s and early to mid 00's. Back in the days where Japanese were huge and touted as game changers, and Westerners imitated and had to experiment to make their own niche, they seem to have forgotten and fall into blissful ignorance that to me, explains the lack of creativity and defines a generation of failure in game design.

Be sure to check out Fairy Bloom Freesia too.

Personally I don't really care west vs east, I just want to shill games that personally I enjoyed and wish people would play before going THERE ARE NO GOOD RECENT VIDEO GAMES AT ALL

have there been any megaman X clones or inspired by games in comiket? I haven't had the time to go through all the entries.

fug forgot a video

Last but most certainly not least(Note: No PC port yet(?))

KOKORO IS NOT A SLUT SHE IS A GENIUS

YOUR WAIFU A SHIT, A SHIIIIIIT
O
U
R

W
A
I
F
U

A

S
H
I
T

A

S
H
I
I
I
I
I
I
T

I care more about inciting of competition and envy, which fuels a desire to overtake and surpass competition. People who say there are no good recent video games, or have nothing to look forward to seem to be suffering most of all from ignorance.

yes, unsurprisingly it is more touhou related. Actually, thinking about it, it reminds me more of donkey kong country. I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

I usually check edelweiss, the c90 page is already up and I'm very excited for it to be populated by August.

The game looks rough but I'm very excited to see it more fleshed out and polished up to a proper, 60fps demo this year.

youtube.com/watch?v=0G9gCNz2Xcw&#t=2m56s

The best part so far seems to be the map aesthetics.

No, people buying shit games because they have shit tastes is what killed vidya. Its inevitable but good games will still be made every now and then.

This too. Look at pictures of developers in the working back then and look at them now.

Incompetent hipster faggots ruined Science Fiction and now they're after vidya.

To build on this, pre-Pong vidya was more or less confined to universities because they were the only places with enough computing power to make and play games. Once it left the confinement of universities, it became commercialized.

Its got nothing to do with it being a business its because the people who run the business don't play videogames and don't give a shit about videogames.

Fuck off gook.

That's the spir-
Sod off shitposter

Nigga, what the fuck are you talking about? Vidya has always been a business. From the very first Colecovision unit, Space Invaders cabinet and all other shit - it's all been made for profit.

You can go to >>>/lv/ if you're all about non-commercial vidya.

So now indies (not the clique ones)
Who make shit in their bedrooms are going to be the next golden age?

The only issue is:
- Keeping them uncucked/unjewed
- Letting people know their work exists
- Accepting the few faulting steps for a first time devs- for the chance of fostering something better.
- Getting good teams of people together to make more ambitious projects that humiliate the mainstream.

It was always a business, but reputation and the guarantee of quality used to play a big role in what made a game a success. The whole point of game journalists and critics was to keep that good thing going, because it's now obvious that no one fucking listens to real consumers. So, if you need someone to blame, they're it.

some games were just that, people making fun games, of course that is only 1% of vidya.

I just got here, wat do?

all impossible, you'd have a better chance of building a rocket and colonizing mars.

Lurk more fegit

i meant i just opened the thread, hence >(1)

Don't be gay.

the issue isn't the game industry user, its you. and now its too late for you to do anything about it

Everything should be a business.

Dubs

Imagine a world where only feminists that are willing to meet government demands and diversity quotas can make games.

They said the same about a rocket breaking the atmosphere, the UK becoming independent, or people making fun of SJW.

Times are changing.
Don't deny the world your influence.

* in a competitive and truly free market- yet also somehow able to be protected by manipulation and deception (via an informed consumer, a watchdog group, or a trustworthy governmental body- in order of most desired to least)

You mean the future?

Try not to blend in so desperately newfag

Why do faggots keep using this despite it having no relevance at all? I saw some guy calling out another for "trying to fit in" for calling out a painfully obvious shill.

Well, he's either shitposting along with me, or I shitposted so hard he took me seriously and is pretending he knows about terms I just made up.

Yeah, he sure showed someone referring to Holla Forums's meme image as a collective the error of his ways.
I never see you faggots saying this when it comes to the word "Feminism" but I guess it's different when someone says "Holla Forums"

Are you fucking kidding me? "Mobilefag" is easily decipherable. Even if it's not a widely accepted term, it can be inferred to be a smartphone gamer by someone whose brain is half-cabbage.

I was just attaching mobile to Holla Forumsirgin like the phone company. Never seen anyone say Holla Forumsirgin mobile and it sounds fucking retarded.

Vidya was always a business, whether you want to admit it or not. The main issue is that now, publishers want to milk the consumer with even more money with microtransactions, and they decided that games must cost a billion dollars to make instead of trying to make a game with a smaller scale and scope to appeal to a niche audience. They also always want to kill off their competition, instead of doing their own thing.

Well no one on Holla Forums has an opportunity to use it, since no one here is retarded enough to play mobile.
Unlike previous iterations of my supreme autism, I have absolutely no regrets on that one.

Business didn't kill games' large studios with >100 people did. Once games have hundreds of people working on them like Assassins Creed they need everything to be pleb tier and committee approved because of the massive capital at risk

Supporting (good) independents is great but the best thing consumers can do is support 15-50 size studios like Taleworlds

yes, I remember

You're talking to burgers dude, they don't have Virgin Mobile in the states.
Only Virgin Cucklactic.

I am a burger. I was just shitposting. Now stop bumping this shit thread faggot.

oh boy, another salt and sanctuary-like

Wow this thread is still up? Bumping with some more video games

I wish marxist influence would fucking end.

jews ruined it? you dont say

OP you remind me of those morons who think Kickstarter is a good idea.

Look at my Japanese games: studios like Gust and Falcom make games for a profitable niché audience and they budget them accordingly. The Nipponese who make those games need to pay the rent as well. They know their fanbase and what those fans want.

It was a business for most of its history. The (arguably) best period of PC gaming, 1998 - 2002, was during this majority "business" period. The problem isn't vidya as a business. The problem is vidya as a colossal, mainstream industry. When it was still niche, things were better. It ended up in a vicious cycle: 1) More attention brought in more shareholders which 2) resulted in bigger blockbusters which 3) resulted in a larger audience. And the whole thing kept repeating until we arrived at our current state.

Well sure but those big triple A games like Elder Scrolls, GTA and Uncharted do make a profit.

I don't play triple A games anymore but they do have a place in the market.

Gaming has truly become Hollywood.

I always predicted this.

it's always been buisness. It's going cinemantic, streamlined and mainstream that fucked it.

kickstarter could have saved supreme commander 2 if it were around at the time

It was always a business focused on making money, the difference between then and now is back then devs had more respect for their customers and were more passionate about the products they were producing. Overly controlling publishers headed by people who've never played a good vidya game killed the industry.

ideally nothing should be a business. business promotes kikery

That's retarded.