I want to play hard games, give me recs

I'm bored. So bored. I don't know what to waste my time on next. Everything I play is casual diarrhea that requires 0% brain activity to play successfully. I want to be challenged. I want to think.
What are some not shit games that won't completely disappoint me?
The four most recent games to disappoint me horribly are Grand Knights History, UnReal World, Wild Arms, and Warhammer 40k Squad Command.
All were brainless baby games. I'm really, really sad after all these letdowns because all four greatly interested me when I read a little about them. I'm a mega fan of Vanillaware's art, I'm deeply interested in survivalists, I've seen every western genre film worth seeing and I've always wanted to get into Warhammer but don't know where to start.
Seriously, I haven't been this disillusioned towards video games in years, and I have nothing to do now.

Some other notes
-I prefer turn-based to live action
-I've already played all SMT games to completion
-the only things I can play right now are PSP, PS1 and PC games compatible with extremely low specs. my computer is so shit that I get 2 FPS when I attempt to emulate DS games
-I try to avoid stuff like Monster Hunter because I have no friends to assist though I have unironically considered making a craigslist ad basically saying "hey, this isn't japan, no one here carries around handhelds and talks to strangers, there's no shame in it and no other way around it, why don't you come over to my house and we'll play monster hunter together"
-conversely, I avoid fighting games for the same reason, although I have great interest in the genre and memorized movesets in Capcom VS SNK 2 despite having no one to play with but the computer
-I refuse to play garbage roguelites that don't have true permadeath. Rogue Legacy and The Binding of Isaac make me sick to my stomach.

please help. and if you live in arizona, let's play monster hunter co-op

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.develz.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh, I forgot to mention I have a vita, too, though the only difficult games I've seen in its library so far are the project diva and natural doctrine.

The MH clones on the vita are especially terrible and insulting to my intelligence. The monsters in Toukiden literally just stand there in complete stillness for long periods of time.

but you said you wanted something hard
well try playing crusader kings 2 with the game of thrones mod as stannis, you'll die very early on since the westerlands outnumber your armies nearly 3 to 1
otherwise if you don't feel like a total pansy, play severence sword of darkness

Turn-based wasn't always shit. It used to make you feel like a chess master when you won hard battles.
Blame Nintendo and Square Enix for ruining that completely. And so early, too, long before the normalfag invasion ruined every genre. Final Fantasy and Pokemon fucked the shit out of turn-based games before anyone even knew what happened.
…and yet people still recommend both those shitty franchises on this board.

Try a good, non-casual Doom mapset. Ancient Aliens came out recently, and it's really good - perfectly encapsulates the ideas of Doom's design, I think, and with that it really requires you to git gud for it.

Lots of autists that go to offline meetings,someone will have mh
They range from 20-50$ and can emulate a shitton of games

I have never heard something retarded

Halo 2 on legendary

Cuhrayzee pic related. Super C (Contra game, much better than original) on NES. Gunstar Heroes on Expert. Cuhrayzee is always good and Super C and Gunstar are two of the best run n guns ever.

You don't name "JRPG"s and then expect someone to take you seriously, user.

both genres aren't played for difficulty eitherway but rather you play them for interest and their experience

nvm OP go die in a fire. My recs are too good for your lame ass.

He was shitting on turn-based games, I listed two turn-based games.

Semantics autism.

Preference doesn't mean I won't play anything else.

bump

If you don't care about cheating AI, galciv 2 on suicidal should be hard enough.

Roll a die. If it lands on anything other than six you lose.

That'd certainly be deeper gameplay than a majority of post-square enix's entry into the RPG genre games.

umihara kawase series

It baffles me that you could get through every smt game and still think of monster hunter as anything more than a mildly challenging

Try roguelikes. POWDER runs on everything, even PSP.

IVAN
Tales of Maj'Eyal on Insane or Madness
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri on Transcend

I take it you like older SMT then so have a look at this, it's like those, Revelations the demon slayer is a pretty cool game.
It's a GBC game should run on a potato with an emulator.

For your PS1 try Kings Field, it looks pretty cool for a PS1 game and is pretty fun to boot I hear people say it's like dark souls but I don't see it.

I'm not as good at live action games. As soon as I got to the high rank quests in Freedom Unite, I decided it was time to stop, since I was having to go through every quest with my backpack filled with high level items and exclusively use the objectively best weapons available at the time rather than weapons I'd prefer to use. It sucked the fun out of it.
Added salt to the wound when I'd look up playthroughs of guys getting through quests I was stuck on, and there'd be zero solo vids and 200 co-op ones.
I've heard they casualized the fuck out of the series after Freedom Unite though so this may be why you're claiming the game is mildly challenging solo. I highly disagree in regards to Freedom Unite, and this is coming from someone who beat Dark Souls naked.

Undertale is actually pretty hard if you do a pacifist run and just dodge attacks/talk during battles.

We both know right here that's bullshit.

I'd recommend Rabi-ribi, Bunny Must Die and Fortune Summoners, but those are platformers and require little thinking but are pretty hard. What's great about platformers (and fightans) is that once you master controls/character the game gets immensely more fun. It gets better as you play, so there's no defined barrier but at some point you just go "woah, that was shit, I don't know why I am still alive".
Steamworld Heist is semi-turn-based but I can't say it's was hard on pre-hardest diffuclty, on hardest it might be Fun, give it a try. Underrail is just good and turn-based but not hard. You'll probably love Divinity: Original Sin if it'll run on your toaster, the game has nice amount of challenge even though it can be munchkinned to hell.

And in case you haven't played yet: Jagged Alliance 2 1.13, Silent Storm 1, old X-COMs and Men of War series.

Friendly remainder that games like chess, shogi, go and many others are turn based.

crawl.develz.org/

Just keep making less and less practical builds until you go insane, is my suggestion. Alternatively, do stupid challenge shit, like a level 1 run of FF9. Turn-based games are only as hard as you make them on yourself, except games that're shit like Lunar: Dragon Song.

As someone who couldn't beat DMC1 on normal mode and has terrible reflexes, i'd like to say difficulty is variable to the individual, and, i'd argue, variable in quality, as well.

For example, Okage is a game with a fair amount of stupid design choices; someone with good reflexes might quit it after an hour, but a slower, more stubborn person would push through to beat it. Is that not, also, a form of difficulty?

I played dungeon crawl for 4 years already.
stopped reading there though

Thanks for the recs fellers, i especially like this one and will be playing both of these starting tomorrow.

Not sure why my ID changed, I guess my new ISP gave me a dynamic IP. About time I got one of those.

Astro Boy Omega Factor.

Normal is already challenging, but then you also get Hard mode.

Have you done the MuMo challenge?

So you suck

Do you one better
Far Cry 1 on Realistic

But that's not hard, except the 4 main chokepoint of the game.

Play the RTS games, the first line, get the original dawn of war 40k goty and the dark crusade expansion

-ps1 and any ps2 era Armored core
-king's field
-wonderful 101
-Illbleed
-thunder force 4
-ninja gaiden black
-Steel lancer arena international (sequel to phantom crash, probably the hardest on the whole list, possibly tied with some of the late era ps2 armored core titles)

>the second Nine-Ball while ascending the second

and if you're concerned about any discrepancy in versions I killed FU g-rank golden rajang with a below average equipment solo. Point is that you're being prety hypocritical, wouldn't have been so bad if you just left it at 'I don't like/can't play action games'

I was going to complain about this practically being a blog post and that you should take your woes to some social networking site but then I remembered where I am
kek

Well in the past I've always sucked at stuff like Touhou which is what the battle system has elements of, that's probably why.

Fucking casual

I beat it naked already.
I thought it was shit. It's a very obviously unfinished game, and all fun stopped after O&S. I won't be replaying it ever.

The DS Fire Emblem games on Lunatic difficulty.

If you didn't beat it while stoned off your ass then your play through didn't count.

Go grab some kush, pick up the controller and start over you fucking casual.

Sorry, I don't condone degenerate behavior.

more autism over semantics

who is this semen demon?

Quek
I don't like playing hard games anymore. That game broke me. Now I just want to play nice easy games that will make me feel happy and reward me with lights and different flashing colors every so often while playing soothing music.

Spacechem and TIS-1000.
Put that mind to good use.

maybe you should play pinball, its not always that easy but if you want flashing lights and ridiculous sound effects to reward you then thats what its all about.

divine divinity original sin

Phantasy Star 2. Battles are easy, but the level design is fiendish.

Touhou Genius of Sappheiros. The game doesn't fuck around from the first major boss on and the endgame bosses are some next level shit.

Fire Emblem 5 has some sadistic gameplay mechanics and map design.

They aren't the gods gift you think they are kid.

Well now you have. Your own post.

Damn what an ugly bitch.

Aren't the servers for Grand Knights History down? Of course it was boring, the game's multiplayer was the whole reason anyone gave a shit about it.

Most of my experience is in platformers, but Hagane on the SNES was pretty good, although with proper knowledge of movement mechanics, you can utterly trivialize some early parts of the game but other than the first level it generally requires you to know what you're doing and use all of your movement options to do so.
There's a glitch that lets you shred a lot of the bosses like paper too, but if you don't know it, they still take time and even then the glitch isn't something that you have to time properly.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts games are also pretty tough if you play them on professional.

Oh hey, someone else knows this game exists.
I still have the cart around somewhere.

To be fair, a good portion of FU's difficulty came from ass–retarded hitboxes which later games did improve, although Tri is way easy (and doesn't have a G-rank) Going into G-Rank solo, MH games are still challenging and 4U added 140 guild quests which beefs up monsters further and gives them harder AI

buy Moe Chronicles

That is a fucking crime and you know it.

If you want to use your brain get into grand strategy and simulations. I highly recommend DCS, Victoria 2 and KSP with the RP-0 modset.

the real crime is that people who shovel shit into their mouths like you aren't banned

not a hard game, faux dungeon crawler.

Try Underrail.

What is that "coming soon" game at the bottom?

I'm a KH fanboy and to call them cuhrayzee is a fucking crime, gas yourself

Seconding this user's suggestion of Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 mod. The installation process is part of the difficulty, so you've got no excuse not to clear at least Drassen.

Some of Jagged Alliance 2's virtues:

Hit up a NES emulator and play Castlevania and Castlevania 3 (Famicom version for dat sweet VRC6 soundtrack) without assist characters. No savestates. They'll whip you into being a real man. Then play Super Castlevania IV or Dracula X Chronicles/Rondo of Blood. X Chronicles has 3D graphics with art by Ayame Kojima but runs at 30fps whereas Rondo just runs at 60fps with a 90's anime artstyle. X Chronicles has the original and Symphony of the Night as playable unlockables anyways.

chawhawhaw

What about dungeon travelers 2?

Holy shit anons why so aggressive, you guys should go get laid or something.

There is nothing wrong about having opinions on an anonymous imageboard.

same thing. the only two recent dungeon crawlers that aren't shit are strange journey and the dark spire. etrian odyssey 1, 2, 3 were 6.5/10, but then atlus killed the series by adding difficulty settings and story mode.
maybe some of the japanese wizardry clones are decent, i can't read gook to know.
i don't know what's with this fad developers have lately where they've been pumping out horrible, casual non-dungeon crawlers weekly.

Only 7 of the 18 are by Platinum, and it should only be 6 without Korra needlessly included. Not every game you think is by Platinum and Hideki Kamiya was actually made by them.

what

We Shall Wake

back to cuckchan you go

Do the devs go here or something?

No you don't

see
and

Gunstar Heroes is mediocre as fuck and nowhere near the top tier of run 'n' guns.

How about playing relatively OK games and gimping yourself?