Is final fantasy still relevent?

Is the series still as popular now as it was ten years ago? Has the fanbase changed in any significant way sense then?

Other urls found in this thread:

gematsu.com/2013/11/media-create-sales-111813-112413
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I would say the fan base for the game has shrunk significantly.
It seems like a lot of people don't care for it anymore.
With that being said, I've been playing FF9 for the first time and it's pretty good.

the decade of XIII pretty much put it on ice if not killed it entirely, and I don't think it's ever going to be like the old days where new, huge numbered titles in the series came out in quick succession

I think the trainwreck that XV is going to be might kill the console franchise entirely. Square will turn around and focus on mobile gaming and CG movies.

Last true fanbase FF was FF9.

Once Kingdom Hearts and FFX became popular in the US, the fanbase changed drastically, especially because Anime suddenly became more popular too and a lot of fanbases mixed together.

FF12 was sort of a backlash against neo-FF games and fanbase as well.

The Final Fantasy name still holds an incredible amount of weight. The problem is not even Square Enix seems to know what it represents anymore. They obviously need to take blame for things like XIII and XV barely resembling a FF game, but I think a lot of the blame goes to these stupid fucks who claim turn based gameplay is old and boring. People have been complaining about it for awhile now and SE seems to think they're just giving people what they want. (We can thank them for never getting another real Final Fantasy Tactics too, since that's obviously way to slow and difficult for everyone's button mashing ADD JRPG needs.)

This. Between the 14 disaster and the shitshow that was the 13 trilogy, the series is in a bad place right now. If 15 doesn't do *AMAZINGLY* well, we can pretty much consider the series dead.

It's dead Jim.

You guys seem to forget how many chances big videogame franchises get. Just look at things like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. They were turning out even bigger trash for awhile yet they're some of peoples most anticipated games.

Please elaborate.

Nah, it's toast. A whole generation of kids grew up not knowing final fantasy during the decade of lightning. TES is the new FF.

Why did they even waste so much time and effort on that trilogy? 13 I could see as a failed experiment and an honest mistake, but they followed it up with two sequels that absolutely no one wanted. They had to know those games were going to fail. It's almost like someone at the company was deliberately trying kill the series.

Once you have all the assets it's way cheaper to work with that than make a completely new game. I think I read there was tons of unused assets after just making the first one too. As much as most people hate them they really didn't sell bad either.

I think the last good Final Fantasy were X and XII. They were alright.

I think after a second playthrough IX and Tactics might be favorite.

They're pretty much dead.
But if they announce FFXVI, Medieval style, going back to the origins, without some retarded class system, with an actually explorable world, quests, etc (MAKE IT AN RPG AGAIN, NOT A PLAYABLE MOVIE), they might return it again.

Remembering that Vid related was a Gold Mine that was thrown into the garbage, and could have represented truly Final Fantasy's "Reborn"

Any reliable links for the sales numbers?

why can we never have nice things

my brother loved FF and that shit killed it for him, so he jumped ship to SMT and never looked back.

Lightning was Nomura's waifu tulpa. Almost like the plot of a FF game, he harnessed the power of a massive corporation to try to bring his creation to life so he could finally be happy and despite everything crumbling around him and misery spreading across the land he kept pushing harder until everything was ruined.

Most normalfags I know are dismissing FFXV as boyband weebshit. Only oldfags and weeaboos care about the franchise at this point.

Actually, I think shit went downhill after VII.
FFVII stepped up VI's technological integration and changed the series forever.
After it, every game tried to be just a different version of VII - many succeeded - but eventually the series was derailed from what it represented, with only "edgyness" fuelling it, ignoring every other thing that made the other games great.

This. People don't realize how huge that is.

It's the reason we call them "metroidvanias" and not "metroids".

there is your problem

X had the best battle system.

I dont know about you but I do love FFXIV, its like WoW but way better which is something that I have wanted for a while.

the popularity of the series has greatly diminished and nobody but XIII is to blame for that. the quality of the actual games mind you I cant say for certain seeing as I haven't played type-0 or teh XIII sequels but I do know that FFXIV:heavensward is absolutely amazing, one of the better games I have played in a long ass time.

No, do the wrong thing once and forever tainted.

The only time there's actual sales numbers for the west is if the company gives them out themselves, but if you search "[game name] media create sales" you can find most things for Japan. Here's the last one for you as an example.
gematsu.com/2013/11/media-create-sales-111813-112413

14 is great. I treated it like a regular FF that just happened to be online. Had a ton of fun. Went through the story and does the dungeons and trials (I think the fights are fantastic, challenging and clever).

Why does japan catalogue and/or report that data so much more than america?

That helps a bit, I'm just against using sites like VGchartz and the like.

The biggest shame about the declining popularity is that it won't silence the crowd that legitimately things kefka is the most well written character in fiction.

Fuck off gook.

If anyone does anything for sales instead of for the thing they don't deserve to be doing it.

How long have you been playing XIV? I had similar feelings until about 2 patches into Heavensward.

Shit is as deep as a puddle.

FFXII was an anomaly when it comes to modern FF because from what I remember, it wasn't initially supposed to be a mainline Final Fantasy game but just got so big that the higher-ups turned it into a mainline game – kind of like what they did with FFXV.

9 was shit.

XII aside from the ending and a section lacking detail was amazing. Some doorsbhad stretched textures which didn't blend in with the pixelated look.

It was wonderful an that was the standard, innovated level up, combat system, and controls like past games did. Everything technical was better than before such as graphics an sound.

Animu filth made noise to fit in and receive attention. They have never likes anything truly and after giving into bad things maybe that is good on their part, suchbparasitic things are carried with them making wonder impossible. Attoning for their treason needs to come first otherwise they are seeking to have greatness attributed to their opposite of it.

Showing them how it's done may help. Force them into acting within the situation not drawing from an image, get them to do and discover themselves.

Backlash may not have been the correct word because that implies that they were actively giving the middle finger to the turn Final Fantasy had begun to take.
It's more like it was a retreat and reversal from the FFX and KH style of games, both design wise and mechanic wise. The world was more open and less linear. It leaned toward SRPG rather than ARPG. Everyone's outfits weren't comprised entirely out of belts, and so on and so forth.

You have to go back.

That's how FF games in the past worked. They kept them going, going on a journey with the characters as they did so. The story made itself, they just did their best for it to have what it is. Free of anything unwonderous.

It seems FFXII was Vagrant Story 2. Instead of doing things as Basch, they went with going along for the ride with Vaan. By themselves all there us fine, with ascocciations it might not be. Would be a great game for kids.

A more adult story and perspective might have been against the look of such a world. In it learning how it is rather than making it what it should be goong to the worst. XII sailed on the surface of things with other characters handling the rest. That or it's all good, Vaan or Balthiers perspective, make it good presenting it so, don't give into aiding it's flaws by accnowledging them as so. Deny their existance as anything but perfect.

You're upon my things. They are not you, nor should they be unless treasured as themselves.

Nothing much, just sitting around watching Love Hina and playing Tales of Zestiria and stuff. What are you up to today?

Well, apparently the way stores buy games from the publishers works quite a bit different and puts them more at risk, so maybe that's why it's available. It's just a guess though.

VGchartz is known to be completely inaccurate guesswork, while even Nintendo acknowledges Media Create's numbers.

Games can change their style, but still be fun. The problem was that 13' wasn't fun at all.

ARR revitalized 14, and it's a decent MMO. It doesn't help that ESO and GW2 are meh, Wildstar is more or less dead, and WoW is shooting itself in the foot with or without Metzen.

9 had a lot of story problems that were never explained fully (Ratley, Lani being a waste of time, Necron), and a really stupid card game. Rest of it was okay.

I would love a single-player FF based on XI.

XIV was a colossal trainwreck when it first launched. XIII's assets were recycled for two sequels to minimize costs and keep revenue flowing while they remade XIV from scratch. It wasn't just the blunder of Toriyama, it was multiple mistakes that compounded one another and forced S-E into that situation.

The brand still has marketing power, which is why they keep using it. The actual game series it used to represent is long dead. Square-Enix has no in-house talent left.

It's not a proxy coward.

In pushing nothingness you don't push it away from you.

I don't thing it matters who they have, it matters how much they try.

You can drop the babbys first buddhisim metaphors any time now dipshit.

No. VII broke JRPGs and FF has been shit ever since.

Yes, even IX.

Yeah, It's a shame that GameGear didn't have more JRPGs. Now that you can emulate 16bit systems on just about anything it kills the purpose of a lot of it's titles. I could recommend Shining Force though if you're interested. You might like that.

I like it when people try new stuff, but games that change the whole gameplay type to something so unproven like XV should just stay as spinoffs or start another subseries. Final Fantasy is such a long running, established series that it just seems crazy to practically change the genre of it like that. Don't you at least feel bad for that guy with one arm who could never play Tales games and now he can't play Final Fantasy either?

The WoWfags that jumped ship seem to be going to 14, it not abandoning MMOs entirely.

May god have mercy on the 14 players.

This will probably happen once XI stops making them money, whenever that is.

We need a snes throwback like the new Dragon Quest XI, not something like theatrhythm or final fantasy explorers or dissidia. The name does has selling power still but they are too focused on reliving the glory days through all these spin offs. Oh well nothing beats the classics anyway, but they are even butchering those too with these terrible android ports. FF15 will be a failure just like 13 because attempts to "innovate" I'm not saying they shouldnt try but it they are not selling the same game that sold them so many copies and that is what the fans want

Ivalice seems like a great setting for an MMO. Wondering why they never really did anything with it.

Or how about a remake of Crystal Chronicles for the Wii U? Being able to play with others online without needing a GBA+cable for every person.

FF hasn't been relevent since X

Nigga fuck you I like mix-and-match classes like with FFV and the Tactics games

unless you meant something else in which case I've goofed

each of the tactics games, you could get broken powerful. And it would be kind of lame if they nerfed moves

another reason why square needs to burn. If they're going to put good ideas like that in the trash.

Yea, the change has to make sense; not something like XIII or XV.

Last time I played FFXIV, everyone was chill. Even when the PS3/4 guys struggled with tanking, people tried to help them; then again, I stopped right before Heavensward came out, and I didn't beat Vanilla's story yet*.

*I'm playing it again if they add XI's Orcs, Quadav, or Goblins as playable characters.

Yes it is relevent. More then ever actuelly.
It sells like hot cekes.
Where do you think money for FF7 remeke ceme from?

Of course it isn't

I still can't pronounce half of the race names from XIV let alone most of the character names.

bamp

The best part is the fact they got the guy who turned FFXI into a playable game to fix FFXIV. There was an event in FFXI that more or less alluded to that FFXIV is the future so I will still call shit by their old name.

Stopped being relevant after 7.

Man, 11 was really top notch.

What?

You've got to be shitting me…

no

And FF14 is generic wowclone too.
All is different is visual style and setting.
All you do is spam hotkeys in certain order.
All these mmos are identical to easc other, don't even pretend they aren't.

FFXI, not FFXIV dipshit.

They are the same game with different graphics.

Ahh you are trolling. I was worried you were being serious for a moment.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you literally play ANY videogames?

Fucking fanboys.

haah waaw

Can't tell if you're legit retards or just blinded by some shitty nostalgia.
Or both.

Here is a tip: when trying to get funny replies, you have to be factually coherent, but in implications absurd. If you are factually incorrect, no one will put energy into responding.

Like calling it a WoW clone would work if it came out post-WoW, not years before WoW. You gotta put more energy into it.

Cidney will make Final Fantasy great again!

It's okay to admit you don't know anything about FFXI user.

FFXI is an overwatch clone. I said it faggots, fite me irl.

Oh, so it's WoW that is FF11- clone?
Ok.

At least put some research into your baiting.

Here is another tip: you NEVER quit the act. Once you are identified for trolling, you double down. Then people who were on the fence might be irate enough to start replying in earnest, and now you really got them.

This is very low energy. I am disappoint.

I'm not trolling.
Two game play literally the same, so I assume one is cloned off the more popular one.
Well it turns out FF11 came out first, what a shocker.

Now you've wasted double dubs on such shitty bait.

There you go. You need to sell the idea you are serious. Otherwise people won't respond. Sort of how you don't respond to raving people on the street.

But you are still mitigating your own sentences. The reason people get mad and respond is because of the verbosity of the trolling. You need to phrase everything like an assertion. This will make people feel challenged.

Listen to this man, low energy shitposter. Also, at this point you can't double down on such shitty b8. You either need to make an argument that creates a divide in the group or use arguments that are so outlandish it would be a chore to even correct you. You really need to go back to cuckchan and sharpen your teeth there m8.

No. Not even close.

Are you extremely young? I'm not saying that as an insult, genuine question, because even asking this is confusing given how big Square was even 10 years ago (which in my opinion is after their peak anyway).

Do you not remember when Final Fantasy VII basically moved mountains in the video game industry? Do you not remember the SNES era of JRPGs where Square reigned supreme to the point where Nintendo handed them their star to use?

Final Fantasy and Square used to be the biggest deal in gaming, period. These days the name isn't really worth shit aside from weeb nostalgia. Any person I've talked to about Final Fantasy XIII absolutely hates it, and anyone excited about XV I just remind about XIII and they instantly lose all hope.

SquareEnix really had a chance to capture a modern audience with XIII and they blew it so now the series isn't worth shit other than "yeah, it will probably look pretty good". Honestly I'm willing to bet Kingdom Hearts 3 will outsell Final Fantasy XV.

As for the fanbase, they were already falling apart by 10 years ago, Final Fantasy XII was a very divisive title as well because of it's MMO influenced battle system. Mix that with the lukewarm X, and the straight up MMO XII and you had a fan base already basically in shambles.

The fanbase and power of Square were at their peak in 1997 and the following years, everything since has been a slow decline regardless of quality of games simply because they lost the casual fans who would move on to more action-oriented games, and they lost their hardcore audience by trying to be original/pander to casual gamers. Here we are in 2016 and I feel Final Fantasy is on it's deathbed, which is why they're finally pulling the trigger on the FFVII remake, one last cash in before they close the coffin.

To be honest, if Square didn't let Toriyama ruin the game with his waifu shitposting it could have been somewhat decent.

The battle system was also a little shit. I mean not the worst I've seen, but not enough to draw in either the casuals or the old fans.

But visually they had some nice stuff going on and they really had a good marketing campaign that got normalfags hyped as fuck to have Grandad Final Fantasy back, the game could have really been a hit were it not for, as you said, Toriyama running wild.

The better one if you want to cause chaos is the first one, the divide.

The second one just gets people to post smug anime girls, which is nice when you want to increase your stock.

I've never played any of the games so I don't give a shit whether it's relevant or not. I'm glad I never got into it so I saved myself from disappointment. They could stop making games and I wouldn't give a shit.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the influx of newfags. The best situation is if you can b8 the newfags to the point everyone else jumps on them as well. So you get to derail the topic on top of increasing your smug stockpile!

No, she won't.

no

played since about the end of ARR.

I do have to admit patch 3.1 was pretty meh but 3.2 was in my eyes pretty damn cool.
3.3 is also pretty good even if its a bit sparse.