Edge

So, what's your opinion on this game?

Ow the edge.

I thought it was the coolest shit ever when I first saw the commercials

Now that thats out of the way:

That pretty much sums it up

pump action smg

It was actually really fun. It was the Sonic Adventure 3 that we deserved.

Mediocre at best, which describes almost every modern Sonic game anyway. The branching story made it retarded even for Sonic standards, controls were slippery as usual, and most guns/vehicles sucked. It was mindlessly fun to run through the later levels with a gattling gun shooting everything that moves though.

Clearly that was an AK74

Remove anything Sonic-related and SEGA could've had a new IP.

This. Maybe there'd be potential for a dark and gritty platformer/shooter to rival Ratchet and Clank. Could've been Kid Icarus Uprising before Kid Icarus Uprising.

It was OK when you play the levels like a normal sonic game.

Unfortunately, in order to get access to more levels, you have to do stupid shit like detonate bombs, kill every single enemy, or destroy this bullet sponge vehicle, all of which kill the game.

It's pretty terrible, but not as terrible as ebin memesters on the internet would lead you to believe. It's a 3/10 game, not a 1/10.

more endings than any bioware game

I say this in every thread relating to Shadow The Hedgehog, but here it goes again:

The most amazing thing about Shadow The Hedgehog is the direction its story took. Literally all they had to do was make an extremely babbified MGS1-style storyline that involves uncovering a conspiracy about what really happened on the ARK.

How bad the gameplay is isn't surprising if you know about the internals of Sega's dev teams at the time (tiny and desperate). The theme isn't surprising if you know about the market at the time. (Rapidly increasing edge and violence.) The fact that they went with fucking aliens is surprising, because they pussied out only after they already decided to go with violence and guns.

Loads of fun if you love laughing at edgy shit. I still get a kick out of Shadow blowing up the internet.

This kills the /k/

"Black" aliens.

Levels were still okay to go through on neutral runs, once you got used to the momentum system. This was still the game that ruined Shadow's character entirely.

Besides the obvious ow the edge, it's just mediocre. Better or worse than Sonic Heroes. While it controls like soap, it's less frustrating as the level designs are now more coordinated than Sonic Heroes. I thought the run and shoot aspect was a good idea. But I felt like they should've just had Shadow shoot with a gun like with his Chaos powers or whatever. Or have Metal Sonic or a Gamma expy. It's cutscenes are like a bad blockbuster, but it's possible you can have some fun with it. I recommend it if you want to laugh at the edge while still having some fun even if overall the gameplay is meh.

Also reminder that Shadow was supposed to look even more edgier until Sega for once went "yeah, nah too much"

not edgy enough

Sonic Adventure 3 with a little more edge.

no chao garden/10

Him pumping the SMG never fails to get a laugh out of me

It wasn't fun.
The first two stage tiers were not good enough to play through 25 times.
I couldn't take anymore after two endings.

Thats just some kid's OC right..that isn't the actual concept for Shadow internally from Sega?

Thread over

This isn't true. You have meters to measure your karma and having higher meters will make that team work with you.

That would just mean you take a different path

Not like it's the first time they've teamed up with Eggman.

Everyone bitches about him being emo, this was the game that made him not emo anymore.

They did this with Sonic '06, and I honestly thought it was a good idea. That game had plenty of good concepts, if only it was actually finished.

It has potential to be good, not great, but good. The branching story based on how you completed missions was interesting, and the exploration of his character could've been interesting. Alas… The Last Story fucks everything up, and nothing goes as deep as it could've. Oh well, it was mediocre.

BLACK-HEARTED EVIL

BRAVE-HEARTED HERO

i like the opening

I AM ALL I AM ALL I AM

I fucking loved this trailer and song so much waiting for this game.
But it took me a long time to get the game, and I ended up reading a lot about the negative reception until I eventually got a copy.

Damn, the Crush 40 nostalgia feels good.
I feel like launching audiosurf and playing the Crush40 cover of Seven Rings in Hand, just like back in high school.

Despite the guns and motorcycles, and executing Sonic in the middle of the street Zeta style, it was an okay game.
What's funny is that Shadow is one of the rare games that did changing the game world trough gameplay rather that cutscenes and qtes, pretty good.

I like the music and the progression system.

wake me up

Shadow wasn't emo to begin with. In SA2 he had something more of a friendly rivalry with Sonic, to the point where Sonic was legitimately sad he was gone. It was obvious that they would have been buddies if it wasn't for his warped memories and unceasing devotion to Muh Ria.

In Heroes, Shadow spends most of the game bewildered and passive because he represents the player's confusion at him surviving atmosphere re-entry and being under Eggman's care. Although Shadow never learns the truth himself (regardless of the player getting clued in on the possibility of him not being the original), he eventually gives up on his quest and decides to just tag along with his newfound friends for whatever antics they would have gotten into in the future. He's more or less happy with how he is at the end of the game.

Shadow the Hedgehog, the game, completley reverses all of Shadow's development and turns him into a sociopath. There is no going back once a character kills motherfucking Sonic the Hedgehog, even if it's not really canon. Even after this game, Shadow is more of a stoic anti-hero even after allowing himself to abandon his past and live for the now for the third time. Whatever happened to "I'm the coolest"?

Sonic 06 before Sonic 06.

Lost Impact still pisses me off.

This is the the truth about Shadow's character across the game.
And another reason ShtH sucks.

A pet peeve of mine is how badly they redid some levels from earlier games, especially the stages on the ARK.

Collect-a-thon objectives should've been skipped, or at least reduced to 90-95% required not 100%. Lost Impact and Central City were the worst.

It's 10 for the first, and variable for the rest. Still too much though I agree, even if you use the infinite chaos control glitch to fast-forward through levels. That glitch is also one of the reasons the speedrun route for the game is so boring compared to other 3D Sonics.

Glimpsing the thumbnail it looked like he was wearing a schoolgirl outfit.

That is some Ken Penders shit right there.

WE HAVE TO GET RID OF THE BLACK ALIENS

Is there a game that isn't for kids?

Just played it to completion about 3 months ago for the first time actually. A lot less cringy than I expected it to be, but I tend to have a pretty high tolerance for that stuff. Had more fun with it than I did Heroes, not really analytic enough to say anything meaningful about the level design other than it would be pretty fucking frustrating without the teleporter pads so that's probably a good sign that it's shit. One question I kept thinking of throughout my multiple runs of the game is just how badly does Sega treat their voice actors? Because it seems like pretty important characters have an entirely new (usually much worse) voice every other game. Vector suddenly sounds like discount Kermit, Charmy got fucking throat cancer and started using generic surfer dudebro lingo when he used to be adorable in Heroes.

I went in with the intent to give it a fair shake since I've been sick of the "le so edgy" memery for what feels like years now and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it even for how short each route is. I'd really like to see them give it another attempt because the core idea they were going for had a huge amount of potential and Shadow's probably my second favorite character next to Eggman. People shit on Sega a lot more now, but I think they'd have to try pretty hard to execute it worse than they did a decade ago. The game is definitely bad, but not at all irredeemable. If they ever truly get Sonic back up on his feet and are planning on making another shitty storybook spinoff on the side, I'd implore them to give Shadow a try again instead.

Also the soundtrack was bretty gud. Embed related is a pile of shit as a whole, but goddamn that guitar riff starting at 0:23 is the best I've ever heard from any video game soundtrack.

Is there even a single alien that was actually black? They all looked pretty fucking gray to me.

aside from black doom himself and the hilariously named black bull, of course

Shadow is the cuck slayer?

ive never played it so my opinion boils down to high-larious youtube comments

Plus points
1.It's auto aim is fucking magic and always seemed to work on what you want it to, I don't get it.
2.more endings then every bioware game combined
3.if you plug a second controller it can control the assist character.
4.The gun that shoots the Tutorial robot and chicken gun which are rewards for beating the game are pretty cool.
5.It explains it's the SA2 shadow all along and not a clone which was hinted in heroes.

Negatives.
1.It feels slippery like Sonic Heroes
2.Like a bioware game only 1 ending matters
3.Level design is mostly boring a part from the 2 cyber space levels
4.The sonic race level is just a timed mission and doesn't give a visual of racing sonic.
5.Chaos blast is worthless when it also gives you unlimited ammo which is miles upon miles more effective
6.Remember how a positive was it explained shadow, that's only during the true final boss after playing for 9 minuets in a 3 minuet boss fight that you're super shadow so your ring counter is draining so you have to go out your way heavily for this and it's in an off handed line from Egg man and one of the previous paths continues the Shadow is a robot story and I still see people think he's a robot because they didn't get that far into the game because of the next point.
7.You need to play through the game 10 times to get the last level of it, it's impossible to not play through certain levels twice and you still have to play through the first boring level 10 times which is a boring lull.

I think it's a bunch of good ideas for gameplay that didn't work out due to multiple reasons.

Typically yes. However it is hampered by the level design and camera in stages like G.U.N. Fortress with all the 90-degree turns down stairs and stuff blocking your way. And in straight sections often the enemies aren't spaced out enough to mow them down at speed.

Not to mention if you want to do one of the paths you have to wait around for the timer to expire.

Chicken gun? The vacuum thing? That was a funny weapon if a bit overpowered.

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR
LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

So whats the deal with kill la kill being called edgy, literally every other character is actually edgy but KLK just gets thrown in there

cause kill la kill is literally sonic adventure 2.

see

It's an old shitposting campaign from when KLK was new.

It was most likely Quentin, from his obsession with people not liking DmC.
3 times a day, the he would make a thread "Why isn't there a KLK video game" then fill his own thread with bitching about how "edgy" Ryuuko is, and basically try to convince people that not seeing Ryuuko and Donte as equal was wrong.

He did the same thing for MGR too.

i dont know, its just a cute cartoon. doesnt seem that edgy

I cut myself today.

Holla Forums will defend anything that is >10 years old.

Fuck off cuckchan

Guess I don't have to defend you, then.

X7 is good

The game had good ideas, but the team and the hardware of the time were simply not good enough to pull it off.

Mechanically, it's an alright game, if monotonous. If Shadow didn't slip around like he's on ice, it'd be a solid 7/10 for gameplay.

The story is a little convoluted at the best of times, and to make heads or tails of it you must play every ending with no level select. This is bad enough that i could only give a 3/10 for coherency.

It wraps up Shadow's Arc in the games while explaining how he even existed in the first place. That said, saying it was aliens is lazy. It makes sense, but it's lazy. A solid 6/10 story wise.

Overall, it is better to just read a plot synopsis or find a half-decent fanfiction that takes place during your favorite path, since it's a pretty mediocre game. Still, at least it's not Mighty No. 9.

My favorite path is 'Miracle of Love'

Fuck you

The episode she wakes up from being Zandatsu'd by her mother till when gets the other life fiber ripped off the show suddenly gets dark out of no where and the MC for the start of it becomes a edgy fuck saying lines right out the shadow the hedgehog and riding a bike like he did in that game.

That section of the show was most peoples most disliked part and with fans of KLK making memes out of fucking everything in the show as it was happening her being an edgy little fuck between those like 5-6 episodes left a really bad taste in everyone's mouth with the character.

Then the series ended off with her literally going super shadow and the meme train of her being an edgy shadow the hedgehog like character never stopped flowing in.

Art like this in mass quantities doesn't just happen, something has to trigger it.

I played this when it was new, the whole thing. 100%.
Years later I decided to play it again after hearing all the jokes about it, and I couldn't control Shadow at all. The controls are fucking garbage and I have no idea how I did it back when it was new.

She slits her wrists to power up.
They also have the same color scheme.

Wasnt KLKs whole schtick taking cliches from various anime and turning it up to extreme levels?

Could've been Devil may cry with shadow but Sega was huffing paint and fucked it up.

How does the last story fuck everything up? It still explores his backstory and character, as you were saying. Did you expect the endings where you shoot Sonic in the face to be canon?

There's also a secret story that includes every level, rather than a short but branching path, but you have to get all A Ranks to unlock it. >if it wasn't for his warped memories and unceasing devotion to Muh Ria.

He wanted to blow up the Earth. Sonic would be included in that. Doesn't seem super friendly.

Which is his whole character. So basically "he wouldn't have been emo if he wasn't so emo."

Heroes barely has a story, yes. But in what story there is, he doesn't "give up" so much as "not have his story resolved."

Uh… no? It turns him into whatever you want to turn him into. That's the point of the game. He's having an identity crisis and you explore the different ways he can deal with it. Then the canon one involves him becoming a guy with a friendly rivalry with Sonic, which you said he would be in SA2 if it wasn't for all the Maria stuff, according to you, and now the Maria stuff is solved.

Chill out, nigga. After seeing the ending or two where he kills Sonic, we see one where he saves the universe. Then in '06 he's a stoic-anti-hero, as you put it.

It was always pretty out of character, now that I think about it, considering what his actual story is in the game where that line happens.

IIRC Shadow the Hedgehog was the first game where they brought on the Sonic X voice actors. I remember the guy who played Sonic in the previous 3D games didn't know until some autist from Gamefaqs emailed him to ask how he felt about being replaced.

But that's the point. In the end, Shadow learns to not care what his past was, and move on to be his own person. Having the answer, but making it hidden, is pretty cool, IMO. Just going and outright saying it would defeat a lot of the point.

Step up on your edge game son.

No.

Why isn't there any dank OC of that big adorable faggot living up to his name as Black Bull?

Every sanic game with the 3d perspective is shit; it just doesn't work.

I love the japanese conceptions of what's bad ass

Go watch Kamen Rider Amazons.

Jin did nothing wrong. Go away Amazon, your kind are a blight.

I'm not saying Jin did nothing wrong Except telling the green fuckboy that you need to kill something to survive, which was edgy as fuck and ruined everything forever.
Nanaha best girl.

*something wrong.
Shit, I'm too drunk for this.
Polite sage.

replaced fast paced gameplay with guns

BUH Rrrgn Tow te groan! is my favourite maverick!

I think i may been brainwashed into thinking that though.

It's so tongue-in-cheek. This is the Japanese equivalent of Nothin Personnel, Kid. It reminds me of what was going on in all three of the Devil May Cry games.

Dante is legitimately cool. The man lives and breathes style.

i beat this shit years ago

the loading screens were awful

the cutscenes were bad

the controls were floaty

the 'kill everything' missions were fucking awful

the 5 guns sucked balls

it was an all around frustrating and harrowing experience

I beat it 100%

I though it was awesome as a kid, now i think it's hilarious. Still I played the shit out of it and now that edgehog is my favorite character in the series.

I can never forget the indescribable feeling the first time I saw Shadow the Hedgehog load a fucking machine gun. It's just beyond explanation.

How triggered do /k/ommandos get by those first few seconds of the intro?

Why is shadow hanging out with DIO?

Almost as bad as FO3's Combat Shotgun.

Just about every decision they made was the wrong one.

Kill la Kill turns edgy for a couple of episodes, then for some reason it turns into Sanic Adventure 2/Kamen Rider 000 at the end.

Both of them can do time stop obviously. Check out the team blast in Sonic Heroes some time. Or the best cutscene in Sonic 2006.

Why does Shadow just use this to save Maria?
Why doesn't anyone use this to stop Mephiles from even killing Sonic rather than having to go through that pain in the ass End of the World level with spawning instant death hazards everywhere?
Why doesn't anyone use this to stop Mephiles from being released in the first place without having to fuck over an otherwise benevolent god by erasing him from ever existing?
Why doesn't Sonic or Tails use this everytime they have at least 2 Emeralds in Sonic Adventure to stop Eggman from stealing them?
Why doesn't Shadow just use this every time he fails a mission objective in his own game?
Why doesn't Eggman ever exploit this?
Why does Sonic just use this to stop Eggman from kicking off the plot of Unleashed as well as not turning into the piece of shit Werehog?
Why is anyone worried about someone dying or something valuable being destroyed when they have this in the first place?

Because we need a princess to give the funny kiss a hedgehog

Is it bad that I actually really like I Am All Of Me

Almost Dead is better.

Just embrace the edge.

Even bad sonic games have good music, its completely normal.

Because 06 erases itself from the timeline in the end, so none of them currently know how to use time travel with the emeralds as shown in that game.

I can barely think of any mediocre, let alone outright shit music in ShtH.

Only ones that really come to mind are Glyphic Canyon, Iron Jungle and Final Haunt. Meanwhile it has great tracks like Brutal Highway, Prison Island, Mad Matrix, Sky Troops, Lost Impact and Cosmic Fall as well as Cryptic Castle, The Doom and Space Gadget to somewhat of a lesser extent and that's just the stages.

GUN Fortress is a notable mention for being a fucking outstanding track dripping with atmosphere for 2 possible Dark ends of the game.