Original Xbox Thread

Alright niggers, no Xbox thread up to ask so made this one.

What's the limitations of the Xbox for HDD size? Is it 2TB? How easy is it to set up a 1/2TB HDD inside the system, because read about needing XboxPartitioner and shit to get it up and running rather than dropping in and hoping for the best.

How do you install XBMC as the startup dash over Unleash?

If my Xbox is connected to my modem via ethernet, can I transfer shit wirelessly from laptop? Stupid question, I know.

How do you set up XLink Kai?

Any niggers playing Conker or MechAssault?

New CoinOps worth shit or still stick to individual emulators?

Anyone even update emulators on it anymore? SMS one was terrible for Triple Trouble SMS hack last time I tried.

Other urls found in this thread:

coinopsproject.freeforums.org/index.php?sid=15bae5342e2fd617320f2b7a7104f859
mega.nz/#!HIw1VCDA!7s1cpk-oIU14iC_Fps_s5O_rARLQbNf5xLBzvVxXzac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

2TB is the limit, use xbox partitioner. xbpartitioner is a bit picky, so what you do is first set the partition you want (probably everything on a single drive), apply it and let it do its thing. Then do it again, this time with the default 120gb F: drive and the rest on G:. Apply it again. Then re-do it with your desired partition.

I'd suggest going with something like a 500GB ide drive instead. I don't like playing with sata adapters, and have heard a lot of mixed things about them. If you go with trusty 'ol IDE, get an 80-pin ide cable to get a significant speed boost (10MB/s average to 15MB/s average.)

find the directory where your dashboard is installed. If you did a standard SID softmod procedure, it'll be called evoxdash.xbe or maybe default.xbe. Usually it's in the root of your E:/ directory.

All you have to do is rename the XBMC .xbe (probably a default .xbe) to evoxdash.xbe and replace the evoxdash.xbe file in your E:/ root directory. I strongly suggest backing up your old dashboard, and if you didn't when you originally modded it, set the system up as a dual boot soft mod just in case something gets lost.

in theory yes, so long as you connect to the same modem you should be able to connect with the ipv4 address. I only ever did it wired straight to my desktop however.

make an account and set up the pc client, if your xbox is connected to anything it can get internet from, it should be easy enough. Mostly people play halo 2, but there's a few groups out there you can find on the internet and you can try to arrange some games with them.

I personally like coinops a lot.

Dude, usually for these things I only owned/played a small amount
But for this one I played a shittone and a lot I considered to be no-named gems. Good to see metal arms, and kung fu kaos getting some love.

Partitioning sounds difficult, but probably easy enough.

Mainly plan on using it as a media center with a good amount of games/emulators, so thought to get as much HDD space as possible.

Gonna try to set up FTP then when order parts. Should be interesting to see if it works.

Where is CoinOps even released? Can never find a d/l link outside IsoZone.

The Custom controller for the game is absolutely amazing to me, but as I don't feel like shelling out a couple hundred dollars for one right now, is it required to play the game?

it's required to play the game. Try to snipe it on ebay like I did, got mine for $135. Just make certain it comes with the pedals, some resellers are jews and don't have them.

coinopsproject.freeforums.org/index.php?sid=15bae5342e2fd617320f2b7a7104f859

Thank you user. Might consider putting coinops on another consoles to try it.

you can always just run it as an application.

Maybe. More wanted use out of the spares I've got.

Outside Unleashed, Coinops, XBMC and Dragon, anything else worth a whirl?

Or good skins for the dashes.

tHc Lite, neXgen, and NeoDashX. They're a little novel, but some are pretty cool. tHc Lite integrates a lot of things like the music player well into the dashboard.

Holy shit, those look cool. I especially like the one that's a PC case. I wonder if the parts from my rig would be able to fit in a case that size.

Yeah, a part of me hopes that he didn't gut out a perfectly fine XBOX to do so, though. Here's one where a guy did the same thing to a Dreamcast.

All I want to do is play free games without spending any money!

So, I have a Wii and a PS2 - both modded. As such, I'm looking into getting an original Xbox.

Where's the best place to grab them? Ebay? Is there anyone that sells Xbox units with that one cap already removed?

Even if they don't, it's easy as fuck to do anyway.

Got mines off of amazon for $80. it came with a couple games none of them the ones I could use to softmod, though, HD & A/V cables, plus four controllers, too. The clock capacitor has been removed as far as I can tell, as well.

spend 5 bucks on splinter cell and you are good for life son.

ebay, but if you have a local retro game store they go for cheap as shit because no one buys them. You can probably get one for 40 bucks.

Don't worry whether or not the clock cap's been removed. It's very, very easy. No soldering necessary, you can just pluck it off with needle nose pliers or something.

Amazon if you really need one from online(shipping a beast like that costs money, mines came out to 90 after i replaced the DVD player) or you could try your luck at a yard sale, i've seen em around for ~25 bucks.

I'd go get one at my local retro game store, but the problem is that the dude specifically doesn't take OG Xbox units because he's always had bad luck refurbishing them. The dude really does take the whole "old game shop" thing seriously, and always makes sure that he tests shit and what-not.

Just buy a PC at the point nigger.

I work at a classic game shop, the most successful one in the area. We take everything, pretty much no exceptions apart from shit we really don't want, like complete rockband sets or something. The difference is, we take Xbox's, leave a few on the shelves, and I flip them into coinops boxes with a 360GB coinops install I cooked up myself. It's got about 12,600 games on it, and we end up reselling these xboxes, which we buy for about $15 or $25 store credit, plus a $30 400GB hdd we toss in and end up selling them for 150, or 100 for friends.

To me, the guy running that shop's gotta learn to be a bit more entrepreneurial. Fixing xbox's is pretty easy, of course there's a point where you cut your losses and just sell it for parts online, but otherwise, it's absolutely worth it, even if the thing seems broken.

The shop I work at is the most successful in the region, and has actually put competing gamestops out of business, despite all our current gen games being trade-ins. Way I see it is your local dude has to git gud.

b-but aesthetic

So is there any homebrew program to force games to output at a desired resolution? It'd be nice to force everything to output at 720p since 1080p displays are better at scaling that than, say, 480p (or god forbid, 480i).

you can force games to render internally at up to 1920x1080 interlaced. I strongly suggest against it. Otherwise, if you use a dash like UnleashX, everything is forced to 480p if you have component cables hooked up. Some games need to be patched for 480p fixes. Generally you want these, if you force anything higher, unless you have an upgraded cpu and ram, you will be getting some serious fps issues.

Thats dope but how is that legal? Im pretty sure selling roms is illegal, modding the console itself isnt though I think

Jewbay is okay, I'd go for craigslist though. They tend to go for $20 or so and you only need to remove the clock capacitator if it isnt a 1.6 model. You'll have to be comfortable in opening the system anyway since youll want to upgrade the HDD. The stock one is 8-10GBs only.

I just do the work on 'em, my boss sells them to people one-on-one. I imagine it's sort of like hacked fire sticks. The services themselves may be the sensitive area, but the products are probably covered under US law. There was a few major cases about modding and repairs a few years ago, it ended being in favor of the people instead of corporations.

Any list for games needing patches to 480p?

I downloaded all the 480p patches I saw, but there isn't that many.

All individual or is there a collection up?

I can make a zip and toss it up for you, if you want.

That'd be great user.

mega.nz/#!HIw1VCDA!7s1cpk-oIU14iC_Fps_s5O_rARLQbNf5xLBzvVxXzac

menu and hud translation! ⁽ ´ᵕ`⁾

If you don't mind saying, what region are you in? I'm looking for pretty much what you are describing but not having much luck where I am

Long Island, New York. Not going to get much more specific than that.

Metro area/DC here, Smaller shops away from the DC area had some for $20. It's where I got my 1.6 from when I first bought a hueg. I ordered my second on ebay since it came with a bunch of other stuff and wasn't a 1.6 so xmugen fun was had.

Is there any way I can use a wireless Bluetooth controller for the xbox? I'm sure there has to be an adapter of some kind that can be plugged into one of the controller ports for it.

I've been following this guide, and it says to install Dual Boot Softmod or whatever, but there's another option for either Softmod Menu or MS Dash. I assume the recommended choice is Hacked Dash/MS Dash, but you know what they say about assuming.

Pretty sure not. At best, maybe if you were running Linux on it, but there's no adapter as far as I'm aware that will convert wireless inputs to xbox controller inputs. You could probably hack one together if you have more knowledge than I do about how the controller communicates to the console but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

it's a USB HID

eg, you can splice a USB keyboard to the controller cable and some of the keys will operate the controller pad/buttons.

btw, you can also do the reverse with Xbox360 wireless controllers on the PC if you gut a dead 360 for the controller antennae

Wait, is it really that simple? I mean, I know they're literal USB 1.1 ports just with a funny shape, but if you got an xbox to USB adapter and an RF wireless controller, in theory that should work? Maybe?

I dunno, I don't entirely understand how USB devices communicate such that you could transmit the proper data. Would be neat to play on a hueg with a DS4.

Anyone know where to find downloads for games? I can't seem to find any downloads for the NTSC version of Conker Live & Reloaded.

IsoZone seems to be the best for it.
Emu has some, but have to have an account.

the pal versions of conker is the same as ntsc if you play it on a hacked console.

I know, but whenever I use an out of region version it nags me in the back of my mind even if I don't have to follow region locking.

I understand. I haven't been able to find an ntsc copy of conker, but once I do I'll rip it and toss it up. I'm bound to get one in my store eventually.

What's the best way to copy games to an xbox without a network connection? I've been trying to use an SD card, but the speed is rather low. I have a cable that could be used to connect the USB controller dongle to a USB port on my computer if that can do anything.

you can copy them off a CD or DVD, but I'd really suggest just using your network connection.

Is there anything for Xbox using IDE to USB like WinHIIP for PS2?

Unfortunately not. Out of curiosity, why aren't you FTPing?

Fuck me, I'll never understand the appeal of Tenchu 3, when you get spotted you're fucked and there's no way to retry without wading through a ton of loading screens menus and other bullshit, and all the levels are far too linear and mazelike, Tenchu 1 and 2 had none of these problems.

By the way, for anyone not FTPing because their xbox isn't close enough to their router, you can plug it into a computer that uses Windows (and wi-fi) and bridge the ethernet connection and the wi-fi connection to connect it to your network. Also, you don't need a crossover cable like you'd expect.

Fuck that was a shitty game

What black magic is this? Seriously, bridging is just a straight through? I thought you still needed a crossover cable to do that.

I've only ever just used a standard ethernet cable to transfer games over.

Yeah, apparently not. I think what it does is the driver goes into a mode that acts as if a normal crossover cable were plugged in.

Also, now that I have my xbox set up with it, if I turn my xbox off or disconnect it, my internet connection goes out on my PC. Does anyone else get that?

I mean, I have a switch or router between the computer I'm transferring from but if bridging means I can do this shit wirelessly, fuck having a million cables everywhere.

Huh. I guess that makes sense then. Thanks!

I started playing Silent Hill 2, and after fighting pyramid head and meeting Maria the game keeps freezing.
I think it's a cache issue because I'm playing off the HDD. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm always noticing mentionings of different Dashboards, such as >>9859055

. Is there one that's better over all of them or is it mostly just personal pereference. All I'm doing is waiting for the XBOX to USB cable I ordered to come in the mail, so I wanna make sure I've got the best foot forward for CFW.

unleashx is my favorite, good organization, clean UI, nice skins, and plenty of options for more power users without wading into advanced user territory.

It's easy as hell to manage your dashboards however, so if you don't like one, but find another you want to use, it's very simple to set that as the default.

Mostly just personal preference, XBMC is a good one.