Too many phases

Easy mode
Pretty fun
[Heavy Guard]
[Phoenix Down]
[Heavy Guard]
[X-Potion]

Jesus Christ.
Why do all Squeenix final bosses need 20 phases?

ITT: Bosses with one too many phases

I suppose some might consider the final boss for Wild Arms 3 having ten or so phases to be a bit much, but it's mostly a puzzle boss with a different trick for each stage rather than all of them having an assload of health to burn through. Also, if you're smart, you can set up buffs while leaving the first phase alone as it can't do much in it's amoeba like state, and then cast Permanence so they stay up indefinitely for the rest of the battle, provided you don't let the characters die.

Every single boss in Dragon's Dogma Online has too many phases if you're not overleveled to fuck or have a huge party of all human players playing DPS.
Fuck having 5+ rage modes in one goddamn fight, every second boss battle.

For those who don't know what the "rage mode" is, basically bosses in DDO naturally take like half damage of anything else and have an HP pool of like a billion, but in addition to that, after a certain period of time in the fight, they get super aggressive and their defenses shoot up from "really strong" to "my swords are now feathers", and to snap them out of it you need to climb on it's back and mash a "pull" button that decreases their stamina (or sit around dodging constant attacks that 1 or 2-shot you waiting for glowy bits to pop on them which you hit for the equivalent of like 5 seconds of pulling on it's back). After you finally whittle it's stamina away, it falls over and you do double damage, but it wastes so much time, along with the bosses' normal massive health pools, that each fight feels like a huge slog.

[spoiler]Still a fun game, though.

God damn, now I'm doing it both ways. Accidentally using double * to spoiler on halfchan /vg/ and meguca and shit, and now I'm trying to use old spoiler tags here.
Just kill me now.

Oh, and it also helps that it has about six different final boss themes that play throughout (depending on the phase), so it doesn't wind up feeling like it drags on too long, even musically.

I wouldn't consider the aeon/ yevon fights more than an interactive cutscene since you can't really die in them. Braska's Final Aeon is the real final boss which I fucking curbstomped since I was just too strong from getting all celestial weapons and not running from fights, anti climatic as fuck

Which final fantasy is that one? Lightning returns?

Yep

Same.
I was expecting an epic battle, and I killed him way too fast.

I came here to post Wild Arms 3.

Let's not forget Ayn Rand's favorite boss.

Most of its forms were easy to be fair, but they still come up to about 13 or 14 in total.

You have to go back.

I couldn't help it, I knew I set myself up for it, but the sphere grid is so fucking comfy to manage, also muh ultimate weapons. Didn't bother to 100% the monster arena/kill dark aeons though, too much grinding involved.

Even the Dark Aeons/Penance/Super Bosses aren't that hard end-game.

I read too many guides for my own good. Please make it stop

What game is this Final Fantasy right? I've been really wanting to get into a game like that is it good? I know nothing about it.

And what's this? Persona I think?

It's Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy 13.
FF13, FF13-2 and LR:FF13 all play differently though.

Read the thread. and mention the first as being from Lightning Returns. Other one is Persona 3.

Yes, Purse Owner 3. The first phase is a simple moveset with the weakest attacks and pitiful HP. However each time you reduce its HP to 0 it shifts its moveset to match a certain monster type and gets stronger than before. Eventually the "real fight begins" at phase 13. The whole time embed related plays, which includes a remix of another song that plays when you're fucking around with your purses. Basically this whole fight is supposed to represent the final test for the player.

If by Fun you mean, worst MMO to come out in a long time, fails at literally everything it tries to do, and ruins things from the game it copied from, then yes it's the funnest game ever

newfags: the post

cucks: the post

And to answer your FF question: a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I'll break down the general consensus. Bare in mind that there is no connection between numbered entries so you don't need to start at 1 to understand anything.

1 and 2 recieve some praise, but are very dated and I don't see much discussion about them.

3 got a decent remake for the DS, but isn't really a hype machine either. Was not orginally shipped stateside.

4 is where alot of people became fans. Originally released as 2 for the snes stateside it was remade for the DS under its proper number, and even got a sequel not long after!

5 is decent, but not held in high regard. Wasn't released stateside until it got a rerelease for the gba

6 is one of the entries that many pick as best in series. Originally released as 3 stateside for the snes it was rereleased on the gba under its proper number.

7 is the most commercially successful and is also a contender for best in series.

8 is loved by many, but some do criticise it for doing somethings very differently.

9 is also well beloved, but doesn't stick out too much.

10 for the PS2 is also touted as one of the best, and my personal favorite because of highschool nostalgia. It was the first to receive a direct sequel with 10-2, which was dogshit. Both recieved an HD rerelease for the PS3.

11 is an mmo

12 for the PS2 did alot of things very well, but also had some real annoying shit. A HD rerelease was announced at E3 this year it too got a sequel or something for the DS titled Revenant Wings, but I never see it discussed

13, 13-2, and LR: FF13 wasted an entire console generation on bullshit.

14 is also an mmo that's pretty solid

15 is on the horizon.

These details are rather sparse because more detail from here is best answered by personal research.

I would've put this in the same category, each of his forms leading to death were one hit kills. It was basically two phases. Pre-death and death

jesus christ how horrifying

Actually v came out first to states side on ps1 on the FF anthology. That's also when FF VI got it's proper name too.

Those spoiler tags work here
They have for years

you should have thought it better BEFORE doing it user.

I pretty much agree with these but

9 is criminally underrated, is just as good as 7 and 8, I would personally say it's better than 8 but worse than 7, but that's just my personal taste.

12 did everything right, it just got shit by the press a lot because they were casuals and the game is hard as fuck and, the grind slow and the meme sticked, Besides Vaan sucking as a protagonist I haven't heard another complain about 12 from anybody that actually played it, story was great, characters were really well designed (besides Vaan and maybe Penelo) and their interactions were amazing, Ivalice was masterfully designed, amazing in every way, music was great, not Uematsu great though, combat was really good, bosses were hard as balls, and it was packed to the brim with optional content to explore. XII is easly one of the best games of the PS2.

Also

Ended up using the NG+ crystal because fuck it.

IX isn't like because of the artstyle. I can't touch it for too long either because of that.

But the first 13 are pretty shit because of the weak spells she can use. Just feels like filler. She should've only used medium or above skills.

God damn that looks really good.
They certainly didn't lose their touch with monster design.

Ok so I finished 13 and 13-2 for some reason and this thread reminded me to give lightning returns a try. First thing I see when I play this on my PC with a 360 controller is this shit

Just go back and grind for a couple of hours.
There is no difficulty in jprgs.

I honestly thought it was impossible to stagger him, I'm so fucking pathetic I just looked up how to beat him the first time after I failed

There's an option in the settings to have PC or Controller display.
You need to scroll down the menu a bit.

No levels in this.
You get your stats from equipment and as sidequest rewards.
You can't grind.

Then go do more quests duh.

Can't.
There's a time limit of 13 days, and on the 13th day you have to fight the final boss.
You need to fit in as many quests and shit as you can in those 13 days.

Oh shit, didn't even notice.

OP confirmed for underage or casual as fuck.

>There is no difficulty in jprgs.

>Nigger has 50000000 HP
> FIFTY MILLION HP

Grinding can't save you from everything user.

it looked more like a tick than anything really.

I love me some autistic optional bosses. If I spend half a dozen hours fucking around with side quests and shit to unlock it, it better be goddamn imposing and drawn out.

The problem isn't that dying is actually a threat to you at that point. It's that dying means you lose all your buffs and your DPS suffers and thus Yiazmat can take from 2 to 24 hours to beat. It all depends on how OCD you are with your setup.

nah, I haven't seen a proper rpg with a genuine fuck you boss in a decade.

Fine then. The Last Remnant.

This one requires you to dodge/block and shit.
No menu selection like the previous two; just action shit.

Ah thanks for catching that! Don't know how I missed it when I own chronicles, and knew about anthology.

I was speaking from the pov of public perception, but I should have worded it to reflect that. For what it's worth, I agree.

I classify annoying characters in a narritve heavy game as "some real annoying shit." Along with the whole Zodiac Spear BS. Otherwise you're correct. 12 is probably the strongest mechanically.

This is because of two things: 4 and 12's stick out for me since they are so odd and I have a bias for 10 and against 7. Though to be thorough we should also mention FF7: Dirge of Cerebus

I was giving an itemized list of all the numbered entries so I skipped this over. However I admit it was criminal to neglect it; especially since I ended up naming most of the spinoffs anyways.

In that regard let's also mention Final Fantasy Tactis: War of the Lions which is a remake of the PS1 original for the PSP.
There's also FF Tactics Advance for the GBA which is completely different, but still amazing. It had a sequel titled: FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift that was also well recieved.