Dragon Quest Thread

I've been playing VI again, and it's a much better game than I remember it being. I still don't like it as much as IV or V, but I do think it's at least as good as III. What are your thoughts on the game, Holla Forums?

Also, Dragon Quest thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&u=http://wikiwiki.jp/dqdic3rd/?%A1%DA%A5%DF%A5%EC%A1%BC%A5%E6%A1%DB&usg=ALkJrhhOdB05t_m6nXm8odvZhs5xg5BuSw
nhentai.net/g/68622/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is Dragon Quest VI SFC fully playable in English at this point? Last I looked at the current patch it was still not a 1.00 release yet (which admittedly hasn't stopped some people from making a beta into an official release if there's not enough left that still needs debugging/translating).

Huh… From the sprite, I always thought she had like really long, looped hair.

I'm not 100% sure. I'm only in chapter 2 and the last I played the DS version last time, so I'm not sure how the SFC version gets towards the end. But so far everything has been fairly easy to understand. Sometimes you'll see something like
->6450
before a line of dialog starts and at the very beginning of the game, when you save at the first church it will act like you want to quit no matter which answer you give. Any other time, even at that same church later in the game, it will let you continue. I'm not really sure why it does that, but it's not that big of a deal since you can load the save as soon as you're sent back to the main menu.

So did the DS version coming out in the west halt the fan translation effort for the SFC one or something? Just wondering.

From what I understand, the group gave up on the translation around years before the DS version came out. I think a second group tried to translate the game after that, but they gave up too. I could be wrong, though.

One last thing I forgot to add about the translation: I actually like SFC translation more than the DS one so far. They tell mostly the same story, but it seems like the DS version changed a few things to make the game more "light-hearted". For example, early in the game you have to pretend to be a missing prince, who happens to look exactly like the MC, to get into a castle and advance the story. One of the characters is a general who adamantly believes you are the real prince, until it is eventually revealed you're an imposter. In the SFC version you're told that he was executed for letting you in the castle, while in the DS version you're told that his punishment was being sent to front lines, where a monster killed him. I mean, it's the same idea in both versions, this guy gets killed because of your actions, but it hits a lot harder in the SFC version, in my opinion.

What did the line say in Japanese? Was it changed there too?

I'd say it's the worst game in the series.

That was my question, same. That might have legit been one of the changes made while porting the game to the DS, not in localization.

I don't know. I assumed that both versions were the same in Japanese, but there probably are some minor differences.

What didn't you like about it?

DQVI is the underachiever of the family smushed between overachievers.

I've been playing DQVII 3DS the last few weeks. It's pretty good, though long.

Very long.

I've heard the 3DS version is shorter than the original PS1 version.

It has less padding, but it's still the longest game in the series by far - plus it adds content.

Wow, so with the padding removed and having extra content, does it come out as being just as long? Curious as to how that works out.

I'm only 25 hours in, so I can't say - but I'd imagine they're similar length overall, yeah.

Glad I got the import, at any rate; it's looking like they're really fucking up the localization.

What we know of the translation so far is barely anything with the most glaring example being the wolf boy being named "Ruff".

Don't forget the puns and accents. Playing through DQVII in moonrunes I'll accept that there are some slight accents here and there, but they're not nearly as prevalent as the localizations would have you to believe.

…either way, I'm glad I learned moonrunes.

Wouldn't shock me. They been fucking around with them, at the very least by tossing in localization-induced text only accents for no good reason for years now. Guessing they're continuing to do so despite western fan complaints to keep the newer games in cohesion with the DS ones (I don't mind cohesion in translation, but that's provided the older games had good translations to begin with).

Truer words were never spoken. I played 1-6 in moon and I haven't started 7 yet because it's a huge undertaking, but knowing I will never have to deal with shitty localization feels good, man

With Dragon Quest being aimed at all ages, I assume the Japanese scripts don't use all that advanced of written characters?

Nope. Even if they do, the 3DS games (besides the spinoffs, for some reason) have furigana so you can just look shit up.

nice hitler dubs

Yeah, it doesn't use too many complicated kanji, makes for good practice

Cool. Shame the 3DS is region locked as a default. Not sure why Nintendo sprung for that after the DS had been region free.

I haven't seen the puns in what little I've seen of the translation of DQ73DS and only that vid they made for it getting pushed back for accents.

What's wrong, would talking about your DQ waifus make everyone more talkative?

Of course VI is a great entry in the series OP, it has Best Girl after all.

I do agree with you that it's at least as good as III, but I'd also place it higher on the hierarchy than V, mostly due to more interesting battles and a mega comfy cast.

That being said, it does have some flaws, namely that characters just become faceless blobs of skills and spells if you don't plan out your vocations in advance. Yes, each character does have distinct stats, but because spell and skill damage is static and not dependent on character attributes this is a moot point. If I ever get the dosh, I swear I will finance a hack that incorporates dq8 style Wisdom and Agility. No minimum requirement for magic damage to scale though, with the wisdom stat instead being divided by an amount based on the spell's rank before damage calculation. Something like Wisdom/5 for Sizz, and Wisdom/3 for Kasizzle. Not sure where the caps should be for the first and second tiers, but third tier spells should double in power (200 +/- 12 for Kassizle)

There's also the problem of over powered or flat out useless skills, such as Falcon Slash making the elemental slashes useless, or Spooky Aura being absolutely worthless by working off Whack's resistance table.

Equipment pools for Somnia, Carver, Amos, and Terry are too similar as well. I feel there should have been more claws and hammers for the big man to match his uncouth appearance and blunt personality.

Naw, the worst game in the series is always II or VII, usually the later.

I recently played through Dragon Quest I-III on the Famicom, since Dragon Quest II and III were the only games in the series that I'd never played before. I really can't say anything bad about Dragon Quest I since it's so classic, but Dragon Quest II is a fucking miserable experience. It's the worst in the series by far. I haven't played the remakes yet though, so maybe they improve the game to where it's actually bearable? Dragon Quest III is definitely the one that holds up the best out of the original trilogy, but compared to the later games I just don't like it as much. Which is strange when I see people posting that Dragon Quest 3 is their favorite in the series. I really don't get it.

Dragon Quest 8 is my favorite game in the series, so take that for what you will

What are you smoking?

I played those on the SNES, don't remember II being that bad, for me it was a straight upgrade from I. I remember something about the famicom version having a game-breaking bug in a certain event, that depended on your MC's name or something

Make way for the best game!

Combination of nostalgia, and III being the very first real rpg. 8-bit II is infamous for being tough as nails, but the remakes do a good job of balancing things out without making it too easy. For example, the Frostburn's Thwhack accuracy has dropped from 100 to 12/%, meaning that in a group you'll have a 33% chance for someone to drop dead at worst.

That, and Cannock no longer being a total pussy in battle.

Damn, kek has a funny sense of humor.

I'm sure they must have balanced II properly for the Super Famicom version, but for the Famicom it was just a total mess. It mostly has to do with its development, since they rushed the game out less than a year after the first one. They completely screwed up the balancing since the guy who balanced it didn't consider that the player would have to fight more than one enemy at a time. The game was so fucking hard that NOBODY on the development team beat it before it was released. Also, the Famicom version has an incredibly long password system that I had to take pictures of with my phone just to memorize. I can't even imagine having to write that shit down back in 1987. Be thankful for your save system, anyone who played Dragon Warrior II.

The only saving grace it has is, ironically, the password system, which you can use to get max levels and the best gear in the game anytime you want

how did he get his wings back?

Adding salt to the wound is the fact that the dev team waited till SIX MONTHS after the first was released to even get started on the general outline. The actual development time was less than four months.

Is the NES version better or is it still retarded hard?

I can understand that. Hell, the reason I love Dragon Quest VIII so much is because of nostalgia. I still think it's a great game though. I really really hope they bring back monster teams for Dragon Quest XI.

Glad they nerfed the blizzards though. Considering how surprisingly easy the final boss is in II, it was a real pain in the ass to have to go back to that shrine every time they'd cast instant death on my party members when I was going through Rhone.

My main problem is PIC FUCKING RELATED. In the lighthouse dungeon, I'd always run into five of these fuckers and they'd ALWAYS attack first. All of them would breathe fire which does about 15 damage to everyone in my party when the character the most health in my party has about 70hp. Total party wipe, every fucking time, even when all my characters are at max hp. The most infuriating shit in the game.

I don't think I even need to talk about Cave of Rhone.

If you mean the SNES version, it's fine

Kek'd

Also, and I really hate to say this, but they made the earlier green version just as difficult by changing sizz to act like it does in later titles. 12~17 damage, no fire mitigation at Moonbrooke, and you can fight up to four of the fuckers at once. II is legendary for bad design choices even 29 years later.

The changes from the Famicom version are all graphical as far as I could tell. The localizations never really changed the gameplay, you'll still have to grind for countless hours and you'll get into the same brutal battles from the japanese version. The NES version admittedly does add a cool intro to the game, although I still don't like the translation. And the save system is a life saver too, ESPECIALLY if you want the angel robe later in the game.

Of course, I didn't play past when you get the ship. That's when the real fun begins.

Nah, I meant the NES. He was saying the Famicom version, so I was wondering if they maybe fixed the balance for the North American release, like they did with the graphics on Dragon Warrior.

Still if I hit a wall in the NES version I'll jump ship to the Super Famicom version for sure (that or maybe the GBC).

Damn. I'll still have to try it just because I want to say I've beat all the NES Dragon Warriors, but if it gets shitty I'll just switch to the Super Famicom or GBC versions.

I mean, it can't be worse than Mother right?

The thing about Dragon Quest II is that there are some things that even the remakes can't fix. For example, once you get the ship, you have very little direction. Even the Japanese version doesn't tell you much about what to do. For example, during the second half of the game you have to collect five seals. The game tells you how to get the first one, but after that you have absolutely no direction except the echo flute like in Dragon Quest III. Of course, unless you want to that echo flute in every room you visit, you really have no direction at all. You just have to sail all over the world map looking for clues. The second half barely has any real content at all. It's just sailing from place to place searching for seals and keys, going to a sea cave and then heading to the final boss. Which is a huge part of why I think it's the worst game in the series.

Imagine if the second half of Mother had the difficulty of Mt. Itoi. Where you basically just have to run from every fight. That's Dragon Quest II. And eventually you HAVE to grind the Moonbrooke Princess to at least level 21 so she can learn the spell that lets you walk on those hazard tiles. It takes countless hours. Even longer than when I had to grind to beat Baramos in Dragon Quest III. I would honestly strongly consider the remakes just for the improved EXP gains. But hey, if you like pain, go for it.

I beat Dragon Quest II on a legit Famicom console, but most people will probably just use emulators. You'll still be loading a lot of save states for sure though. Better than losing half your gold and THEN having to pay more to revive your dead party members.

Goddammit. At least Yuji Horii acknowledges how badly they fucked up on it. And at least I can say that it introduced some of the most iconic monsters in the series.

I just read a dragon quest doujin and made this edit to fit the text.

Goddamn it, I forgot the name of that one, pls halp

》 For example, once you get the ship, you have very little direction. Even the Japanese version doesn't tell you much about what to do. For example, during the second half of the game you have to collect five seals. The game tells you how to get the first one, but after that you have absolutely no direction except the echo flute like in Dragon Quest III.
This is a good thing. The whole point of gaming back then was to explore every single pixel in the game, we only two or three games to play to get us through the year.

I don't like II, but these are not flaws, I wish more games went back to pure exploration and discovery.

No, I totally agree. I actually did like the exploration part of Dragon Quest II to be honest. I didn't mean to say that was a fault, I was just using that as an example of why the second half of the game is harder than the first half. The problem I have is that there's really no content to back it up. It just becomes a collectathon since there aren't any bosses, and there are only two more dungeons you have to beat before you go to Rhone. You just visit a bunch of towns and that's it. Dragon Quest III did it much better with finding the orbs because you actually had lot more dungeons to go into and some bosses to fight during your search.

I never noticed this. Does that mean wisdom seeds are useless?

Is that a horse cock doujin?

Wisdom is useless in VI and VII, according to the j-wiki: translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&u=http://wikiwiki.jp/dqdic3rd/?%A1%DA%A5%DF%A5%EC%A1%BC%A5%E6%A1%DB&usg=ALkJrhhOdB05t_m6nXm8odvZhs5xg5BuSw

In III it controls MP growth, being 195%~205% of your wisdom score. It also controls how quickly you learn spells, which means you can learn it three levels early or three levels late. Same for IV, only it doesn't affect MP now.

V is weird, because some people say it's only for monsters to listen to you, or it controls spell evasion.

It is nice to know he's not so full of himself as to ignore the flaws in his work, and as painful as II you're right about the monsters it gave us. Hell, I'd drag my feet through Rhone at level 1 if I got Killing Machines out of it.

Has there been a proper romhack for DQIVjp yet? The entire un-molested English script is on that cartridge, just disabled by default and lacking proper formatting/editing. Half the work of a fantranslation is already done and since IV DS is infamous for being the flat out worst butchery we've gotten so far for an English localization, you'd think people would jump at the chance.

I gotchu
nhentai.net/g/68622/

Ugh, damn video link saved…

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain wisdom doesn't have anything to do with monsters in V.

I've heard about the MC's wisdom affecting the chance to recruit a monster after battle

Huh, I thought each monster had their own rate at which you could recruit them, regardless of the MC's stats. Like, you could recruit every 1 out of 10 slimes you fight, but you could only recruit 1 out of every 100 metal slimes, or something like that. Admittedly, after I got a slime knight and the saber-toothed tiger, I didn't really bother with other monsters, so I don't know that much about the recruitment system. Also, there might be some differences between the different versions of the game.

I don't really know if that's true though, but if it is it probably doesn't matter much.
Also, Slime Knight a best.

I wonder when they'll drop new info on DQXI.

Not sure. Was it just random NPC talk? Because if so, I may have missed it.

Took me 138 hours, but I did most things, took my time, and had to think of where to go at times (one time that sticks out in my mind is I had to talk to everyone in a town I think, and I missed one person so I kept wandering, trying to figure out what I was missing). It was also my first time playing DQ VII period, so lack of knowledge didn't help.

The localizers never tried to make anyone believe there were lots of accents in the Japanese versions, they've always been upfront about adding them.

People keep posting this, yet no one ever posts the gameplay footage from E3 that didn't have any accents in it at all.

If bestiality and preg are the top two fetishes with DQ, what's the third?