So now that the dust has settled what does Holla Forums think of Skyward Sword?

So now that the dust has settled what does Holla Forums think of Skyward Sword?

Sure smells like cuckchan in this thread

Well I just think that now that we know what the new zelda looks like we should reflect on the last one. Perhaps we were too hard on it.

See video

It was fun_

A common complaint I've heard about a lot of the zelda games is that, they weren't bad games, just bad zelda games.

Which sounds about right.

Shit. Too handholdy, too linear even by Zelda standards, Fi was annoying, Debbie was terrible, sky was empty as fuck, dowsing made exploration way too easy, not enough areas even if they did change throughout the game, and the Wiimote Plus mechanics often didn't work nearly as well as they should to keep things enjoyable. I'm pretty tolerant of Zelda games, but this is the one entry I unambiguously consider bad.

That said, I did like some things:
- Getting to know Zelda as a character was a nice change of pace.
- Groose's character development from bully to bro was great.
- It had some nice dungeons, especially the Ancient Cistern and the desert ocean one.
- Dat musou segment on your way to the final battle.

But yeah, it's bad. Settled dust or no.

I liked it but it has plenty of problems.
summed it kinda well.
Its a fun little adventure but it starts to fall apart when you're forced to revisit previous levels and fighting the giant the giant black sleeping bag like 3 times.

Zelda was a qt tho.

This is the game that breaks the zelda cycle by still being terrible when the new zelda releases

I'm a fucking Zelda fag, even have a Master Sword on my wall, paintings, limited edition shits, etc.
BUT NO AMIIBOS, THANK YOU

I was one of the fags that bought the Deluxe Edition of SS, with the Golden WiiMote+ and the Symphony Disc.
To keep things to the point: I've beaten the game once, at that time - 44 hours, not 100%.
Really, the motion controls were extremely retarded, unresponsive and wrist-braking. The game itself was fucking repetitive as you have to do the same stuff all the time in the same places. Fi was cringe and made me want to kill her and that stupid voice. The bosses were bad as well, and the fucking "breakable shields" were nerve-wrecking to the point when I decided to not use them at all.
This was in 2011.

Fast forward to now, 2016. I, entering again in a "Zelda mood" because of E3 rumors about Zelda:BotW, decided to give SS another chance.
I started a Hero Mode game - this actually improved the game a lot, as you had to play a lot more smarter.
This mood improving stuff made me do the side-quests this time, instead of just wanting the torture to end like before.
To my surprise, the side-quests were frustrating: The Harp controls in the Pumpkin Bar made me waste half a day due to unresponsiveness; Fledge's Pupkin Throws were madness and the Cannon-Colorful Island game was made to depress you.
Now, with my revitalized opinion of this game down again, I kept playing, and after beating the first 3 dungeons, all the bullshit started to make me remember why I hated this game so much: Silent Realms and Dragon's Quests. The other 3 dungeons were okay
Then, fucking The Imprisoned over and over - easy, boring, repetitive, yey.

In the end, in Hero Mode, time for Demise:
Easy as fuck, unmemorable, anti-climax villain, that came out of nowhere.

So, here you go, SS is shit.

It reminds of Windwaker in a lot of ways, though. That game was just as empty, despite a better presentation, and had a LOT more backtracking.

I still don't think it was any great shakes, though. Still better than Zelda II and Spirit Tracks (which is damning it with faint praise).

…I want a master sword on my wall

I thought the dungeons were fun, though. Consistently fun- you didn't have any god-awful experiences like the fucking Earth Dungeon in Windwaker, Ice Temple in Link to the Past, Sky Dungeon in Twilight Princess, or Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. Bosses were consistently great, too.

The Zelda series has objectively bad games:
Adventure of Link
The Wind Waker
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword

Spirit Tracks is the only one that is, without a doubt, a bad game. No exploration, easy dungeons, short dungeons, bad gameplay, poor controls, simple puzzles, bad items, little content, and a dull world.

That Zelda sure was a QT though.

If you are searching for an honest opinion: It was a fun game with a mediocre to downright poor story. Dungeon crawls felt good in this game. Other parts, not so much.

There was also frustrating times because it seems the motion controls started to develop quirks on my second play through, which led me to understand everyone's frustration with it.

Overall, the most annoying part was fighting the black thing again and again (not a memorable or remarkable fight) that would morph into the endboss. That fight is boring and feels like it serves no purpose other then to allow the plot to continue. The second most annoying thing is doing things they took the concept of some of the menial tasks (like sailing from windwaker, which I enjoyed, and the twilight princess wolf link sections, which I did not) from other Zeldas and mishmash them into horrible time wasters. They feel like they serve no justifiable purpose except for extending the game, or establishing lore. If these things weren't present or made fun, the game would be drastically improved.

I agree with this user: , It was very handholdy, and fi is not a memorable or remarkable character. She does her function like a Oblivion/Skyrim waypoint system: Spoil the fun by giving the player a walk through. Luckily she does this very little in the dungeons themselves.

On a last note, I think this game suffered from George Lucas syndrome during development: They thought since the Zelda brand is very outstanding in the industry, the developers thought themselves perfect creators and failed to review their how their work mashed together until close to release. The work on the dungeons are spectacular. Still not excusable.

tadtones

I said the Dungeons. The Tadtones are overworld shit, like the Golden Triforks quest in Windwaker.

A man after my own taste, funny how some faggots actually think Navi was somehow worse then Fi.

I think that is actually a way to tell between people who were legit annoyed at Navi back in the day and people just having the Meme that she is annoying imprinted on them and trying to signal with it.

And the field music was amazing, that is something worth saying, even the bad Zelda games have good music.

Disregard my post. This post is the perfect answer.

Used to defend this game a lot, I haven't played it again because I said I would play it again once I lose my virginity.

I don't think I'll be playing again…

I didn't leave cuckchan just to see this kind of faggotry again

When did you leave, 10 minutes ago? This shit has been the norm for months.

Now that the dubs have settled when will you check em?

The other three are shit though

The fuck?

So does this game have an overwolrd or no. I heard different answers on what seems like a simple question.

Wind Waker is a fucking masterpiece user.

does anyone have the iso dump of this game?

I actually do. I dumped my own so i can play it.

>>>/reddit/

Back to leddit

Windwaker's my favorite Zelda game, but it's seriously flawed. It's light on content, the difficulty never ramps up until the last temple (and then ramps back down for the final confrontation with Ganon), the Great Sea is depressingly empty, traveling by boat is slow and tedious, and the game has multiple fetch quests to pad out the time.

Loved it, but I played it on Dolphin.

I love all of it. I think the sea is full of stuff to discover. pretty much every island was its on little puzzle. I love the sense of discovery the game has, i dont think there is anything like it.

I for one am extremely grateful for Skyward Sword, because the backlash against it finally woke Nintendo up to the fact that they had been going down the wrong road with Zelda for a while. It's the worst game in the series, but the fact that Breath of the Wild appears to be an attempt to right the wrongs of Skyward Sword means Skyward Sword, for all its faults, might have had something good come out of it.

Plus, it finally put the nail in the coffin of the idea that maybe motion controls wouldn't suck. If Nintendo couldn't do it with a flagship franchise and special extra tech, it's not going to happen.

Zelda is cute as fuck though. And the "beast" is a terrible monster with a stupid design. I did like the water colour art style though, it really suited the low-res Wii by making things a bit blurry on purpose. Good art direction is more important than "real".

It was pretty awful. Most of the zelda games I wouldn't mind and have gone back to. Skyward sword was barely worth one playthrough. The story brilliantly panders to fans who got into the mythos and characters though.

will you fucking look at that, an actual, living template thread!

Not to mention the X Days to E3 guy.

I love it, too, but I still acknowledge that it's flawed. The fast sail and the removal of a lot of the fetching helped make it a lot faster and more enjoyable in the remake, but the game still needed at least two more dungeons and a mini-dungeon to really reach its potential.

you're right about the rest

It was shit and anyone who likes it is a fag

The thing about WW for me is that is has an amazing sense of exploration is very rare to find, i just love going around seeing what is in the sea, its just weird because for me its pretty much my favorite Zelda game tying with A Link To the Past. As a matter of fact if you have any recommendations for exploration story based games say them user.

These sum up my feelings rather succinctly, but I'll still add my experiences.

It really seems like they spent too much time on Skyloft compared to the rest of the game. I love the Bazaar especially with every shop having its own variation on the BGM and the reactions you get from the guy running the general store. Skyloft is so dense with creativity and interests that it's a fucking singularity in SS. As everyone has noticed, the Sky is pretty empty and boring, but the Surface is just as bad with almost every area being designed with no purpose in mind other than its gimmick, and being a step-stone to the dungeon.

The dungeons themselves are reletively fine, if not particularly challenging. I was most fond of the old factory like dungeon because the time bubble shenanigans were pretty cool. Although I found the old ship dungeon in the same area tedious because of backtracking. The cistern with its idyllic upper half and hellish lower half was really neat, and I found that particular boss very enjoyable. However I had a lager problem with these dungeons in that it never really felt like anything was at stake with them.

In previous Zeldas dungeons were there to be explored for the sake of exploring. In later Zeldas dungeons were explored because the boss inside was screwing with local phenomena. Both are fine, but the latter goes in hand with the heroe's journey where you may be there to get the magical mcguffin, be it a jewel or a sage or a dragon dildo, but you're also making the world a better place one area at a time. So when you've helped everybody and struck down the bad guy you really feel like you've become a hero. In SS the dungeons are just there to be a test for Link to become a hero. In a game with such a cinematic flair this comes across as very bland. If the only reason I'm here is the PDA in my sword told me me I have to then there's a problem.

Which segues into my next gripe perfectly: Fi. I was so excited coming into SS because I couldn't wait to get to know Fi. Then several hours in I learned that all there was to know about her I experienced in the first two minutes of talking to her. At first I thought she was just kinda annoying with the hand holding and robotic. Then I found out she's staying that way for the whole game. What gets me is she not only comes across as waifu bait from Nintendo, but also from her creators. Why the fuck does she dance around so much when you get to your objective? She has no personality to want to dance so why did her programmers make her that way. I know Nintendo did it in part so the player doesn't get bored with exposition, but I seriously thought whoever made her must have programmed these routines as a distraction from some nefarious purpose. That's how jarring it was.

I should give full disclosure in that I never finished SS. I reached the sixth temple, the fire temple, where you had to put out the flames blocking the entrance. The solution was an annoying fetch quest to get the water dragon's bath tub. I was getting fet up with this kind of padding, but I just wanted to get it over with. Cue the contraian robot that loves Fi and hates you for literally no reason to help deliver it. Well that little shit decided he would fly ahead of me to the very start of the level and refused to fly back up, and Fi wasn't telling him to fuck off. That's when he explains that I must protect him the whole way up the mountain. I was fucking infuriated at the sheer amount of BS this was. You mean I have to protect this guy for no reason other than the devs wanted more padding for me to chew on? They couldn't just have the asshole drop it off at the top and let me get to the little enjoyment I can derive from this game? Instead I have a bullshit protection quest, the kind that has been panned by everyone for years for being frustrating and unnecessary? At this point I was pic related, but I figured it would be so hard and bit the bullet. I mostly sniped everything with arrows and got through most of it no problem. I thought it was bullshit they put a giant dude with an ubreakable shield on the narrow, improvised bridge, but several headshots takes care of him. Then I came across the second one though, and I was out of arrows. Nothing else I had was effective so I tried to fight it one on one. Naturally they programmed asshole-bot to practically cling to my asshole so he got hit and I had to start over at the very fucking bottom. At that point I turned the Wii off, not even bothering to save because I was fucking done with this game forever.

TL;DR Everything but Skyloft and some dungeons are boring and frustrating.

My highest hopes for BotW is that it'll bring Zelda back to Link dicking around innawoods, and the story will be told by exploring the environment.

Fi was boring and not being able to skip through the speech bubbles faster was frustrating, but I still liked the game. I know the controls suck, but I guess I just have a tolerance for crappy controls

good game
dont know what everyones got their shit in a twist about. i get the feeling eveyone who shit posts about it never played it

What dust

People still hate this game.

mods hasn't deleted thread yet.

The motion controlled combat is too unreliable for the system they put around it. The durability thing is just annoying. The bosses are samey, built around the combat system. The time desert has a bunch of really cool things in it. The sand sea was fantastic. It's too linear. The sky is too empty to be worth exploring and the flying controls suck.

what does thinking now the Holla Forums has settled of dust now

dubs of course.

gotta check myself.

What the fuck man

filthy cretin

i really enjoy getting dubs like this.

noice.

Too hard to emulate on PC w and X box controller, therefore shit.

okay this time i got it.

emulate these dubs.

Casual.

It's my favourite Zelda game. Loved the music, dungeons, pseudo open world and the motion controls i found to be very fun. Also thought zelda was cutie in it and the story was cute