RTS Thread

Hell♂March♂Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/darthmod-napoleon
moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-mod
moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age/downloads
moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age/videos/co-op-mission-freezing-offensive-hard-playthrough
cncnet.org/
ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Chu_Ko_Nu_(Age_of_Empires_III)
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991423127/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394706226
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363129030
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Warriors:_T-72_Tank_Commander
dawnofwar.com/article/community-team-intro
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Age of Empires MP when

whats the matter wit the old one

Hit the bump limit and was on the last few pages.

ripe

Fuck this game, why is it so hard to build a fucking wall without my villagers being retarded?

its literally point and click m8

I tried that. My villagers randomly stop building for no reason.

AGE OF EMPIRES NIGGAS

Whose up for a game in about 10 minutes, do a show of hand so I can see if its worth hosting a lobby once I'm back from shopping

What happens when you give your peasants rights.

Fuck I thought this was the Otomad thread for a second.

I'm keen.

AIE WHOS READY FER SOME AOE

Still down for it nigga.

Host it then faggot.

Foine then
Holla Forums's funtime palooza 4, you know the drill

I can't find game

well that was lame
ill host the next one now

check the "any" option in the filter

We went ahead with a random. Worst decision ever. Fucking Byzant nigger playing mindgames on me as well.

disappointing.

Just finished.

EXAMPLE OF BYZANTINE MENTAL SUPREMACY

just hosted the next one, get in fegs

Also am I the only one that knows about relics?
Get your a monk and go click on them to pick them up and have him put it in your monastery for passive gold income.

bit of a time waste usually in team games

Good job, you got below 200 gold in a near 40 minute game, kek.

Hosting the next one, get in

gray you faggot he was from the thread

Nigga fuck you, I refuse to put up with that bullshit.

Y THO

Quit fucking up or my elo will get too high and people will think I'm good.

It did fuck my build order a bit
Also I was fucking exposed with half my wall line being taken up by a lake

same, i dont want to get kicked outta lobbies with garbo people like me, and force to get my shit kicked in before i get to get gud

I want to play AoE, not Age of Beta Starcraft 2.

Rehosted, get in

hold up nigga

In all fairness though, Avehand is a fucking retarded Byzant monkey. Get back in m8

new server
Name: Real Holla Forums niggas

we got room for one more

just make sure you say something when you join

Hey RTS, I wonder if any of you remember this RTS I've played years ago.
I want to give it another shot to satisfy my nostalgia.

Let's say you have a "SAMURAI" barrage you send in a villager, he becomes a samurai.
Then you merge two samurai and get a ronin or something.

Pls help, this is killing me.

it's called battle realms

Battle Realms.

Thanks alot guys, that went fast.
Going to play it now.

Next time someone goes Byzantine everyone should gang up on them and build a wall to keep them out and help make Age of Empires great again.

salty

gavin here, sorry m8's, internet in oklahoma fucking sucks

Well, it was alright

GET FUCKED 2v3 YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So we doing another round or what?

Yeah give me a second and I'll set one up.

GAME HERE
Room name is "No Fun Allowed"

Is it any better now? They haven't released an update for a month so they seem satisfied with their current version.

welp
How many people do we have wanting to play, anyway?

at least it was no C&C4 right?

Dunno user, but I made that screencap a week ago or so

WE WUZ CZARS 'N' SHIET

Mods were really good user you have to admit.

dont mind me, just monetizing user made custom maps and goyimizing the interface so youre less likely to play unpopular maps

Get out of here Blizzard!

dont mind me, im just meddling with your game design. hey, make it more accessible this streaming economy thing is too complicated for the call of duty audience who we are definitely going to attract now that were making some changes. wouldnt it be cool if all your space cult robots had names that sound like fisher price toys?

jewtron only has legs because they run the show

Anyone up for some age?

Of jew hunting?

of empires

DON'T YOU FORGET IT REMILIA, THIS SPELLCARD IS THE SPELLCARD THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

And this is why people who 'balance' games are shit at their job.

Noobs, retards and scrubs demand that the rules of the game conform to their play style and it fucks things up for everyone.

A similar thing happened in TW: Kanes Wrath. The epic unit for Nod had a rage generator that caused enemy units to attack each other for 30 seconds and be uncontrollable (only if they had no previous orders such as attacking a unit or moving somewhere). Spammer fags thought this was bullshit because it could wipe out their tank blobs. During a match between two EA e-sport commentators one of them uses the rage gen to cripple the others forces (the whole match was a retarded noob slap fight), faggots use this as an opportunity to bitch about the rage generator and demand change, next week the rage generator gets reduced to a duration of 6 FUCKING SECONDS. If the units affected don't have a previous target this is literally enough time for them to turn and fire 1-2 shots before going back to normal.

While this might not seem like a huge deal you have to take into context the epic units for the other 2 sides.

Gets a fuck huge tank that can instantly process the tiberium it drives over both denying the enemy resources and turbo boosting your economy.

Epic unit can teleport, units it kills generates resources for them, can be healed insanely quick by friendly units.

Not to mention that both of the other sides have more garrison slots in their epic units than nod but hey at least the spammers are happy.

Which brings me to my last point. After all of this shit was said and done, they decided that the pacing of the game was too fast and then proceeded to fuck the economy (and by extension the AI that had been built around that economy) by changing the price of refineries and their sell back value. So now people couldn't spam units anyway, the AI no longer worked, and Nods epic unit became even more pointless to build because it remained a huge resource sink that didn't give you an economic advantage like the other 2.

Years later I am still pissed about how they handled patches for that game.

Kinda like the buggy in Yuri's Revenge that was utterly useless most of the time?

Reminds me of what is going on in a game called Armored Warfare right now Pls no bully Players bitched and complained about MBT's being super OP and so they ended up with massive weakspots on the front, had their armor reduced and mobility nerfed hard. Despite the fact it was the small maps and the 15vs15 clusterfucks that were the issue, not the MBTs. Devs just released a 5vs5 competitive PvP mode that now lets vehicles actually flank and maneuver, suddenly it's revealed that actually MBT's have been heavily underpowered all along. Who'd have known?

IT'S TIME FOR AGE OF SHITTING ON MAIN FAGGOTS

Whose up for a couple of games while we still enjoy this shitpile before we get bored of it in another week or so.

feck off this is abeautiful thing we got here

but yeah im here for one, ill set it up now
Holla Forums's funtime palooza 6, you know the drill

Anyone interested in ever doing a MP game of age of mythology?

I never played Kane's Wrath in multiplayer.

Was the purifying flame upgrade (blue flame, massive damage) as obscene as it appeared to be?

Request from dude in game.

Yep, seems about right

Yes and it was one of the few things that they at first balanced well, and then overnerfed when they fucked the economy in the final patch.

Most mods for the game often buff the upgrade by either reducing its cost or 'slightly' increasing its damage values. If you get what I mean.

When the game first released though, yeah it was overpowered because of the pacing and style of the game. EA wanted to make a lightning quick E-sport game like gook-craft and as a result the game was heavily geared towards building a fuck huge army, no defenses and then clicking attack move at the center of the enemy base.

The Black Hand was purpose built to be a shock unit type side and were overdone in this regard. After the first few weeks most games consisted of Black Hand mirror matches with people either spamming infantry to victory or rushing to get purifiers and doing a base walk with them solo.

So, instead of making other sides and strategies more viable by adjusting other factions to be more powerful and SLIGHTLY increasing the build times for refineries and all other buildings and units (to slow the pacing of the game in a uniform way). They nerf the hell out of the Steamroller sides, increase the cost and build times of refineries by 200%, forget to adjust the AI to handle these changes, and then call it good and abandon the game.

Where can I pick Total Annihilation assuming its not optimized for a my modern rig, why is GOG bad again?

They've started acting like steam, setting up GOG galaxy and the like
Not that bad but a bit concerning

Also they over charge the price of some games, but supposedly thats not there fault

Anyone here got some advice for installing BFME2?
I'm thinking of playing but im hoping there might be some AI mods around that could make it somewhat less shit

It's more than concerning its worrying I saw Grim Dawn on GOG and it needs Galaxy to run.

Why didnt anyone tell me?
I've been playing it on steam because i couldn't get galaxy working on my computer
I didnt actually think it was necessary to play it
fuck now im steadily losing hope in everything

Just to confirm it, galaxy is needed to actually play it and not simply run it online right?

Galaxy is needed to run online.

Ok thats not to much of a problem
Theres probably already away to get around it via piracy

Still I'm guessing they only did it so they could get online games like grimdawn, considering Steam is probably a safer investment against piracy which is tiny

Still it fucks me over, as i cant get galaxy to work on my pc

Decided to check, the engineer in the OpenRA Tiberian Dawn mod still has the old behavior, though it's a nerf from the instant capture in the original game.

I've been looking to play Dawn of War Ultimate Apocalypse, but I have no one to play with and fighting the AI gets boring. Would anyone like to play?

I would, but I'm about to start a LAN party going into next day with BFME2
Shits fucking painful to install

If we manage to get a couple more people I wouldn't mind joining in. I will have to reinstall it again.

Is it bad I no longer want to play that in case they nerf anymore fun strategies? Or should I just go on again anons and see if my flametrooper+APC rush is still effective?

Yeah, sadly it seems no one is biting but if anyone does ever want to play Dawn of War UA or just Dawn of War 1 with any mod just post in any RTS thread and I'll be down to play.

To me there is really nothing better than throwing hundreds of Imperial Guardsmen at a wall of enemies.

Do you have it on steam or something? I only have a pirate copy since I lost my boxed copy last time I moved houses and dunno if there would be version mismatches or problems with pirate and steam versions.

Even if you hated the second game, at least it did some things right. The cover system was great, the units were varied and useful, and combat itself was fun. The main issue was how capture points worked and they should have left some elements of basebuilding in.

I got a physical copy of Dawn of War 1 Platinum I'm that steam faggot who's laughing now you fucking faggots and I never got around to it is it optimized for Windows 7 before I bother installing it with old software.

Has relic ever mentioned that they will release other races for dow3? I got into dow because of the Necrons. I like their design and that they are like a cross between the undead and skynet. No necrons no buy.

They haven't mentioned anything yet from what I remember but chances are they'll be sold as DLC. I'm not looking forward to it.

Never had any problems with DoW1 on win7. It should still work fine, I guess.

If it runs on your computer and you can play multiplayer it should be able to play. I'm pretty sure the version mismatch might be a problem, but if it really is then I'll just go download the pirated version as well.

Is Napoleon: TW good? I remember people having negative reactions towards Empire, but I never followed anything to do with Napoleon.

I might buy it on Sjewam for 6 €.

it is since its the better version of Empire and use this mod to make the game even better

moddb.com/mods/darthmod-napoleon

It's pretty good, there is also an awesome WW1 mod for it called "The Great War mod".

shit, forgot to add this one too

moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-mod

Cool beans, I'll look into them also.

C&C4 does not even deserve to be in the shadow realm, that shit should be banished into the void.

bump

RIP Holla Forums's age of empires sessions

We had a good run.

I can set one up right now if you want?

I'd be up for it. The question is how many people will join.

Looks like maybe just the two of us and a pile of pubs :^)

I'm fine with that My skill level is probably around that level anyway

Game is up.
Room name is Age ♂ of ♂ Empires

Well RIP me

These reviews aren't telling me shit (or maybe I can't wrap my head around the absurdity) but how was C&C 4 shit.

C&C 4 wasnt shit because it doesnt exist
C&C 3 was the last sequel for the C&C franchise

Yeah, DoW1 just werks on win7, but has no widescreen support by default (there may be unofficial patches/mods haven't checked) until dark crusade or soulstorm, i forget which.

I hope you niggers playing AoE aren't supporting the ((( devs ))) who shat out the "HD" fucking shitshow of mod theft.

I'd be down for some Dark Crusade if you have the required mods (auto used abilities, auto retreat, no limits, etc etc). I was going to try UA but it looks complete garbage. Does it play well despite its looks?

What do your hands look like user?

What do you mean by it looks like complete garbage? Do you mean the extra factions they have added in? If that's what you're talking about they are broken and unbalanced so no one plays them except for the inquisition, they're okay.

so anyone wanna play age of empires?
also which version are you playing and on gameranger or voobly?
i've got the good goy HD steam one, but i usually run the one i got from the share threads, since it runs a fuckload better than the HD one

Okay, since everyone is too scared to talk about the forbidden one, I'll do it. Being a C&C fanboy, Tiberian Twilight murdered the series. How?

Because of C&C 4, the Command & Conquer series is dead. Now I'll never get Generals 2 since they turned it into a Free to Play then cancelled it.

Cont.

After the shitshow of C&C 4, EA shut down EA Los Angeles, which was their RTS studio, leaving the employees either unemployed, or absorbed into their other branches. The next few years were sketchy as there was fighting inbetween the EA developers over who would make the next game. At first Visercal was gonna do it, but then they thought of giving it to Dice. Finally, they decided to make a new studio called Victory Games to make the new games.

Victory Games were working on two games. First was Tiberian Alliances, which was a Facebook cow clicker. The other was an actual new game, Generals 2, later renamed just "Command & Conquer." Running on the Frostbite engine, C&C fand such as myself cheered at seeing a new game finally coming, bringing base building and resource management back, set in the Generals universe no less. However that joy quickly died with it was learned that it was gonna be a free to play in similar fashion to League of Legends, with Generals for each faction that have to be bought with real money. The game wasn't even gonna have a campaign at launch. After so much negative reception from the fans and the press, EA just cancelled the game one month before launch, closed Victory Games after just two years of service, and left everyone there unemployed.

Command & Conquer now rests in the EA vault, along with Dungeon Keeper, Mercenaries, and every other Bullfrog and Maxis title.

That pretty much sums it up

Which do you think was more cancerous for the fanbase?
The lack of a campaign, Generals being DLC or the game being Free2gay?

Everything. People wanted a full Generals 2 in one package. You pay once, you play forever. That F2P cancer works for MOBAs, not for RTSs.

but they did, it's called World of Warcraft
Let the dead lie in peace user, nothing good will come out of trying to bring them back to life

This. It's better to learn to live with the pain and just play the campaign every few years and hope you can get some anons for a custom map together or something.

How come no one ever talks about Dawn of the Tiberium age? Literally. Everyone just goes
Well you fucking do.
here: moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age/downloads

Thats it! no extra bullshit files to download or use or whatever.
moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age/videos/co-op-mission-freezing-offensive-hard-playthrough

There's that online-RA1 or whatever it's called. At least it lets you play the campaign, not sure if or how MP works, haven't tried it out yet.

Check out Edain mod for more diverse factions and tons of cool shit. It's for the BFME2 expansion.

because nobody here wants to actually play games, just whinge, dont bother. Get on the Holla Forums discord or some other room and get a games going from asking around there, dont bother in threads.

Yeah it works great, and it hasnt got the balance tourney trash ass fucking that comes with OpenRA

cncnet.org/

It lets you play from C&C95 up to Yuri's Revenge vanilla no bullshit and no mods, it also hosts Dawn of the Tiberium Age, Mental Omega and Twisted Insurrection's online mods.

Yeah, that's the one

Let's say there was a Warcraft 4. What would you want in it? Any new races or mechanics? What would you with the story?

Can i have the story that completely retcons WOW?

DTA is bretty neat but it's missing stuff from RA95 like paratroopers and the superweapons.

Do artillery actually not-suck?

Sure, since I never played wow I am interested to see what happened storywise, but I heard it's a real shitshow, I only know some bits that may count as general knowledge

Sounds like it could be interesting. The lack of a "human" faction is going to rustle some people though, unless you're thinking the humans are going to be in the Horde or Forsaken?
Also have you heard of Dragonshard? It kind of has what you want gameplay wise with the many options for units but limited selection and the less OP heroes, as well as other stuff. It's also pretty fun
It kind of sounds like each faction will be divided in two, so something like the faction tech system from Warrior Kings would be interesting, where if you build one building of a faction you are restricted from the other tech tree, like if you where playing the Elves and you had to decide between the Druid path or the Demon path by building one of their tech buildings.

wut, I've had like 6000 relic gold in 2 hour games which means the difference between a surprise paladin treb sneak attack in my otherwise attrition armies

To be fair, 'humans' were more accurately 'the alliance' and used plenty of elves and dwarves. The only human units were Peasant, Footman, Knight, Paladin and Archmage. That's not even half! Not to mention in TFT you didn't even play as humans.
I've not heard of Dragon Shard. I have played Warrior Kings and just couldn't get into it. Too slow for me, even if I liked a lot of the concepts, like people praying at the shrine and stuff.

The worse part is that humans made up the meat shield of the alliance
It was almost like the alliance was solely constructed to reduce the human numbers
If anyone is at fault for the destruction of the human kingdoms and the spread of the scourge, its the fucking high elves

Literally having eternal life and the unlimited power of the sunwell, the fucking elves still couldn't fight off a bunch of slow dead corpses
It even came to the point that humans were brought in because the shitty elves couldn't get their shit together and by doing so the scourge was able to run amok even more in the lands of man.

Hell, even after the elves were annihilated, their dead came back to cause trouble for humanity, and due to shitty plot armour the edgy ranger was able to slay mankind's true Savior, Garithos

Like fuck, it was at this point that Garithos's character was corrupted for the sole sake of making Sylvanous look good, despite the whore being a edgy 1 dimensional character made for the sole purpose of sex appeal

C'mon user, let's not sell Garithos as more than he was. The real reason you miss him is because he's wasted potential. He played second fiddle to the Dreadlords when he could have been a major villain. He could have stormed in, forced the undead out, reclaimed the kingdom and built a mega citadel that you have to destroy. But instead Sylvanas was the character in the story, and her story was killing the Dreadlords.

Truth be told, other than a few exception such as Illidan fighting Arthas, the Frozen Throne was pretty poorly written.

>the Frozen Throne was pretty poorly written.
I couldn't agree anymore
It added a few interesting characters and the actual maps gameplay wise weren't awful, but the story was just plain poor all around

GTFO elf sympathiser!

Human pride worldwide!

nice meme

Honestly I was kind of pissed Garithos died there. Kael should have been the one to kill him, Kael was loyal until Gary spilled his spaghetti His death was pointless in the story and they kind of built him up. Sylvana's story should have been about trying to free more undead from the scrounge and the idea of dealing with life after being changed into a mindless weapon.

Or hell, just trying to un-un-dead herself. Maybe hunt down an immortal juice to become an elf again.

shame they killed thee series with online

it'd probably get pretty bad around the fourth game anyway

truth be told, i dont think that age of empires gameplay would fit more modern periods.

Are you implying that 3 wasn't bad?

Am I the only person who preferred the first age of empires?
I mean, casually. The kiting got a bit disgusting.

dont worry user i also liked 1 more, just because its in the best time period. thats also the reason why i want 0AD to be good, i mean except for having superior controls to any rts i played

Its no C&C 4 user
It had some good parts and some bad
I large differences between the countries i liked, The Home city shipments were pointless due to how little you could actually choose in variety, some cards were worth more than most of the other cards
Honestly the games biggest fault was with how unbalanced the teams were, also pop limit

Why did they think it was a good idea to grab AoE's pop limit but then make some units worth significantly more than others?

Elephants are worth 7, pretty sure theirs actually a unit worth 11 you can get from a shipment or wonder

Still i wish the game was a little bit more balanced, thankfully counters still worked unless you were fighting fucking Iroquois or china
I dont know who had the great idea to give china walls absurdly high health as well as strong infantry (with shipments) but they pissed me off
And why the fuck do iroquis get a 1 pop cheap infantry uni that has around 1000 health and is ranged?
wtf were they thinking when they added that?

People like to make out Germany was OP, but fuck, Dutch, China, Ottomans, India, Japan and Iroquois come across to me as significantly stronger

Still You can counter ottomans with a little bit of micromanaging and some quick units, Dutch you need to target there banks, India needs wood, take it from them Japan, China and Iroquis are the few i haven't figured out how to counter

I know iroquis have better siege than the other natives but its still worse than western nations, so I might be able to target there base and raze it whilst they attack my walls.

Japan is just a superior team in all aspects, thankfully nothing stands out as too OP because every unit is strong hence all i need to do is target there resources, Burn those shrines, kill their animals and deforest their shitty bushes

China i cant beat, They might have the inability to build units independently
But when they have wall shipments and the chokubo ones (shitty archers), Your fucked
Cheap ranged unit that deals around 80 damage due to firing multiple times at one go

Ok found it
ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Chu_Ko_Nu_(Age_of_Empires_III)
Those last 3 shipments let it deal around 100 damage to light cavalry and heavy infantry, also they're even more cheaper

Normally you could get around this with heavy cavalry but unfortunately Heavy cavalry cost almost 3 times as much as these faggot crossbow men and generally take up 3 pop each

This essentially allows China to defend their walls dirt cheaply and effectively against anything except fucking horse natives

The horse natives have a siege dance and special anti wall horses that move relatively quickly
Even with China, I've seen those fuckers demolish walls within seconds
Unfortunately Those horse men are built from the commander after a shipment is sent or one of the heavy units you ship in, i forget and are relatively slow to build and you can only have so many

still the best game i ever played

The only thing they could do to save this mess is make everything that happened in WoW be set in a parallel universe/alternative timeline. Isn't that kinda what they are doing with that dreadful Draenor expansion?

Also, remember then Humans were awesome?

Is his arm rotating along with the flail?

Looks uncomfortable but it's physically possible, although with armour? Not so sure.

Humans still make up the bulk of the leadership of the alliance, with Paladins and Archmages being able to do some pretty badass stuff. The Knights are also still pretty strong in Warcraft 3.

I don't like that you basically had to grind to get the good cards in Aoe3, making it so that you can't try out other races as easily. I have no idea how to play the chinese though, the fact that you have less control over your army composition keeps fucking with me.

WTF, what is this from?

A little known RTS from 2001 called RTS. It was only popular enough to warrant one expansion (like Battle Realms before it) in which the human character triumphs over the evil undead woman, a plot that would not fly fifteen years later.

good taste user

Pretty much why you never fought many chinese players, Everyone is put off by how fucking different they are compared to standard AoE teams
They also have those cheap suicide boats which rape every sea battle, but thankfully Navy in AoE3 was shit already so noone really cares

Snarkiness aside, what is the mod?

This is the reason I don't download "balance" mods anymore.
While usually the balance teams are quite stupid and can't get a clue, 9/10 of those mods are made by retarded compstompers that can design some nice model sometimes but slap ridiculous stats on it.
I always disliked DoW1 and CoH mods because while balance usually left much to wish for it was better than twisted design philosophy of most modders that usually go around "10 mins no rushing" and "one unit capable of wiping entire army is COOL".

Not to mention they were predominantly naziboos and added multiple ways to allow them camp maps with ridiculous defensive firepower until tanks roll in and crush the allies.

Warrior Kings was fucking great.
Shame no one does the "choose your allegiance DURING the game" thing anymore.

This literally describes almost every single warcraft 3 custom map that i didnt like
Everything God and all those shitty loap remakes gave me a AIDS

I think it had more to do with that the tanks on the nazi's side in CoH were weaker than the allies
I didnt think it unbalanced the game that much because the axis had some pretty neat infantry and other things. Honestly the teams varied greatly so its a bit hard for me to say One side was significantly stronger, However those american fucking artillery tanks that burn everything come across to absurdly strong. Personally i think the developers were westaboos or retardly patriotic. At least the developers for the ex[ansion

Relic have always been Wehrboos user. You should have seen the Panzer Elite when they first came out, holy fuckballs were they OP. Though I think they are also Britboos to an extent as usually the faction that comes around to restore balance and give Allies a doggies chance has always been the Brit faction.

If I dare talk about COH2 for a moment Axis are severely OP in that game. Quite literally US were complete trash and Russians were the only ones with a chance till Britbongs came to restore balance. Even then the balance is fucked at the moment.

Did somebody say Hell March?!

I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do, if it helps I'm playing on the Stronghold Collection.

You mean you need help at holding strong?

Did you remember to collect more stone m'lord?

I spawn with some archers and knight, there're some Turks atop a wall, I remove them, then I set up some hunters and woodshops and granaries, I don't know what to do, I'm not playing Extreme.

Are you playing crusaders trail or what it's called? You are playing stronghold crusader, right?

Anyway, general tips: At the start of each level set the game speed (in the options, or by pressing +/- a bunch of times) so you've got enough time to set your shit up

Get a few woodcutters (3-6 maybe), a few cheese and apple farms for starters, a market (important), a house or two if needed and probably a mercenary camp.
Try and get a tower (of course with a piece of wall and stairs) in the direction of the enemy and put your archers on there, your melee troops below it so they can try and fend off any incursions.
Set up a quarry if stone is available (don't forget one or two oxen) and start building walls to keep most or all your buildings safe, but early on leave a hole in the wall (unless you can maybe fully enclose it) so you can control where the enemy will send his troops in your area and so you can funnel them.

Get enough food so you can give extra rations and thus raise taxes. Early on cheese and apples are good and fast, but if you can get the bread production going (1-2 wheat farms, 1 mill, 6-8 bakeries) you'll get tons of food.
Later on set up 1 or 2 hops fields and 2-3 breweries + 2-4 inns so you can get more happiness bonus from alcohol and thus raise taxes.

Build iron mines so you get iron that you can then sell (same with stone once you finish your castle) so you can get more mercenaries.

Once you've learned the game a bit, opt for european units by building weapon smiths. European troops are generally stronger and cheaper in gold, but they require you to manufacture (or buy) all your own weapons.
Try to keep a logical flow to your building placement (keep the granary near the farms, but not too far from the stockpiles; keep most manufacturing buildings around the stockpile; stuff houses somewhere in a corner maybe)

Oh and don't hesitate to buy a bunch of wood in the first minutes if you need some more to get set up.

The Call to Arms, Nicaea.

Is that one of the mini campaigns? Well, my advice is still in general applicable unless it's a unit-only scenario, in which case good luck

Get wood, get market, get food, get taxes, get units, get stone, get walls, get more food, get more taxes, get more units (possibly get beer, get resources, get weapons, get euro-units)

One last question, what's the main goal of these campaigns it just says to go help the Greeks but the map is small as fuck.

I honestly don't remember, it's been ages since I played the crusader mini campaigns. Usually just play the crusader trail.

Crusader unfortunately wasn't that great when it came to the campaign aspect, the first stronghold had a much more fleshed out campaign

Can someone explain to a nub like me who only played nubish gook click games why do people consider TA better? I thought that the mechanics and overall design of SCFAF is better?

SCFAF is a meme about "better balance" although TA at higher levels of play just ends up being Flash/AK/Bulldog/Goliath spam until you can field T2 air.

TA:Escalation is better than both if only for the fact that it's pretty much TA expanded with slightly less overpowered Flashes. Kinda wished there would be more players for it because the AI is fucking shit and it cheats with a metal extractor that gives them 12.000met/50.000eng.

I was thinking of getting Starcraft 2, how is it not in comparison to the first. If its good does it need Battlenet to run like how if you buy a physical copy for a Steam game the DVD becomes a key you need to play making the whole thing pointless.

It's okay
However the above makes this pointless because fucking battlenet makes it so you literally can't play the game until you fucking download GIGABYTES worth of patches. And it checks ALL THE TIME. So anytime there's even a little patch, you cannot play even the singleplayer.

The wings of liberty campaign was kinda fun. Haven't really tried the heart of the swarm one.

Don't know if more people play the custom map stuff nowadays, but back when I played, you could hardly get any people for certain maps because their lobby system was so shit and nobody bothered making good maps.

Also this. He's not exxagerating. I think wings of liberty alone is at least like 14+gigs

Wings of Liberty is pretty fun. You get to play with all the units, new and old, and each of them gets two upgrades allowing you to customize your army to be what you want it to be. You also get to choose ten out of twenty researches that allow you to further customize. It's pretty cool. The only unit you don't get to see is the Valkyrie.

Heart of the Swarm is cancer. Kerrigan starts out a strong hero unit who gets stupidly strong options as the game goes on. You don't get to play with Guardians, Defilers, Devourers, Scourge. Old Zerg Queen's are gone in SC2, replaced with Queen's that give you more larvae, spread creep and act as early early defense, and then those were replaced by even easier Queen's with an auto-heal function and to compensate your hatcheries spawn larvae at a massively accelerated rate. Maybe even twice as fast, with a cap of 8 instead of skirmish's 3. The game is so stupidly easy and you only get to pick one of 3 boosts that can be changed at any time for about 6-8 units, and then you get to do some five-minute a+click missions to unlock evolutions. On release people were beating it on the hardest difficulty in four hours. The story is cancer. Kerrigan is a mary sue. It undoes plot points from the previous game because they couldn't come up with their own interesting plot points. It's insultingly stupid. And the main villain appears like, 3 times, and otherwise just waits around to die, twirling his mustache evilly.

Why must life be suffering Holla Forums?

I think you'll need to deactivate your other cores and have it just run on one of them. At least I vaguely remember having to do that.

Did you get the gog version?

Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Disc version

Dafug? Why did my ID change?

I think it's not much hassle. But just look it up

Is he right Holla Forums?

Not really no. He is right about one point but gives the wrong reasons for it. RTS as a genre died pretty hard and it's more down to exposure to the genre. If RTS games are hard to encounter then it stands to reason not many people will find them regardless of gender. Also noticed that in his video that the majority of the players that play RTS games are in their late 20's to early 30's? That's generally the age group that would have grown up when RTS games were common and popular. Kids these days hardly if ever play them.

Haha, well okay buddy.

God damn this is by far the most fun map and team setup.

I feel like my wording is shit so I'll try again.

It looks like you failed to mention the very worst part of C&C4; the fact that it wasn't even a C&C game to begin with. Before EALA actually began work on the game, due to budgetary and time constraints, they decided they could skip over lots of the development process by purchasing the rights to a completely unrelated Korean RTS that was in development. They just took that unfinished game, remade the units to look vaguely like they belong to GDI and Nod, and bam, there you have it, C&C4. If you ever wondered why the game used a totally different engine and didn't really resemble C&C at all mechanically, well here's your answer.

Also, for that matter, it's apparent the studio put about as much effort into the cutscenes as they did into the game itself. Seriously, go look at the cutscenes. The sets and props are so cheap and unfitting looking, they probably just found them at some costume rental place. It's also really apparent that all the outdoor scenes were very likely shot right outside the studio's building, especially since there's no effort to dress up these areas with scifi-looking things. They probably just went outside, grabbed some random passer-bys and started filming.

Why does this song remix so well with literally everything?

I think we can all agree that EA is literally Satan

So anons, just started playing Joint Task Force. It feels like it's Men of War before Men of War was a thing?

A lot of music falls into predictable patterns that someone experienced in music can identify. As an outsider to music, the first step is to watch the four chords song

Do any of you fags have men of war as2 and want to play sometime? My faggot friends are slightly worse than I am at it so they don't play the game anymore and games with randoms are awful. I only say AS2 because we'd need to use hamachi or some other program to run the older games in mp while as2 has steam mp without the need to forward ports or use external programs.

AoE2 mp is fine too

I got that for my birthday as a kid and played a shit ton of it. Was pretty fun, the Serbia levels were probably the best.

I just bought it but I m probably rusty as fuck since I haven't touched those games since Men of War. Also yurofag with 140-150 ping when playing with eastern burgers.

To make it clear, unless you're from strayaland I'd be willing to give it a try, but maybe play a few scenarios first to get the handle of things again, I had a decent amount of coop fun with previous games

Same, buddy. What RTS do you like?

I'm trying to get BFME2 working for my Friends pc for a LAN party
its a cluster fuck user, i dont think i can get it working
we might have to resort to playing HOMM3

LAN parties, I remember those, then I moved from Brisbane to Cairns for work reasons.

Dont give up user
Surely someone in Cairns must RTSs

With some luck I'll be able to get NBN from somewhere nearby. Though I blame RTS on a lack of innovation.

How cool would a campaign be if it was played on a Dawn of War style map remembered local, but each skirmish was played against a player fighting the other side of the battle online.

I wish more RTSs did that kind of thing

Gee I wonder why modern RTS games keep failing?

Fuck I m getting tired and might not check up on the thread for a long time, steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991423127/ no bully plz

I wonder if you guys get a worse ping playing with burgers than I would playing with nips, pretty sure I get a better one with the west coast. As if pic related wasn't enough.

K-kane lives guys.

To be fair, RTS AI is really fucking hard.

So that's why you come off as a loud mouth faggot and post that stupid squid like the same faggots who post Tomoko.

True, but being unable to make it any more interesting than "rush at this point, do nothing for x-ty second, build troops, repeat" shows how shit you are as an engineer.

fug

I'll send a friend request I suppose that's alright to do. I'm a western burger though. If you don't want to play the vanilla coop levels then I would recommend the Faces of war or Red tide campaigns.
Links here
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394706226
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363129030

Oh as it turns out the red tide campaign isn't up to date so disregard that.

Different games different mechanics. Starcraft wants to be less realistic and more arcadey/gamish.

I think the real flaw of starcraft was being too small in map size and unit count. It could easily have been about the sprawling battles that Supcom boasts where you set up a series of defenses for each base you own and steadily push across the map with your different forms of vision (radar towers, observers, overlords) but instead it chose to be what it is.

You do that, we'll see how the game handles the ping.

Something wrong with them other than just being glorified skirmishes?

A shame, didn't play this one, but I really liked the emphasis on small units FoW had, gave me a Commando feel, compared to Men of War who often gave you a lot of units (like in the factory defense).

Anyone here played AI War: Fleet Command?
From the wiki it doesn't look too bad

Wait there is actually a game about the original kebab removal?

Nah. Apparently it's about some Serbian general going full retard or something like that.

Shame, torrenting it anyway

There's this T72 emulator that was censored in the west because you played on the "wrong side" or something like that. It's robust and ugly ass russian sim.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Warriors:_T-72_Tank_Commander

I might give it a try but I'm not a simfag.

From what I can remember, the general's name is Arkan Dragovich and he fucked up by attacking Bosnia.

Anyone else feel their despair growing with each bit of new footage of Dawn of War III?

I didn't finish the Twitch interview when the middle-aged faggot with tattoos said we wanna make this game fun master and have it be accessible.

just lovely

I'll just leave this here then.

This is going to disappoint.

I can't bring myself to watch the rest of it.
JUST

I think i might try that mod out for DoW1 everyone likes

What is best RTS and why is it Homeworld.

Because it captures the space opera feel of exploration and the unknown perfectly.

Doesnt it allow actual 3d space?

Yes it has full 3d movement.

Why is god so cruel?

dawnofwar.com/article/community-team-intro

STATE of this "banter"

I wish more games did this
It adds a whole new dimension (quite literally) to gameplay, instead todays RTSs are just bad attempts at rehashing old ones in order to to steal the genre niche or feed on nostalgia

Where has all my hope in RTSs gone?

U should play one vision mod. Doingit4free.

Compatability mode to xp. Then again that was on a Vista tho.

anyone down for some AoE 2v2?

I've got a chem test at 1 PST and lecture after that, so I'll be up for it around 4 PST if you're still around.

I want to think that DoW 3 woll be good or at least okay.
Is this wishful thinking, Stockholm syndrome or battered housewife syndrome?

fug

Considering I played both Dow 1 and 2, I'd say that it's a combination of wishful thinking and battered housewife syndrome.
Have some DoW 2 Elite.

Has nobody told them what happened to Dark Nexus Arena?

good rts games for steam controller?

>controller

DOTA

I don't know what I was expecting

I don't know what I was expecting

pic related

while I'm in support of larger map sizes and unit counts for reasons other than the base game itself, it did indeed choose to be what it was- a solid game. Blizzard avoided overreach and inconsistency by shooting for an obtainable goal with a solid campaign, solid race interaction and counters, and good map design. They promptly forgot the concept of "within limitations" and tried to be a movie, social network, and money-printing engine at the same time instead of a genuinely solid game with SC2, and that was that.
Furthermore, Supcom was released in 2007, a full 10 years of genre pioneering later. Difficult to say Blizzard wouldn't have made the scale larger if they thought the userbase, and their machines, were ready.

Good to see you contribute absolutely fucking nothing to change that then

Why?
I'm just bumping the thread

I can understand where hes coming from but clearly he's still a faggot

The plus side of DoW3 coming out is that DoW2 is no longer the new kid.

Ah
It's like I back in 2007 and Starfags berate other once again….

Why did they make DoW 3 a Warcraft 3? Only cool thing about DoW 3 was the trailer. Becouse it felt like Warhammer 40k.

I seriously hope you guys aren't sinking.

We're crashing this thread. With no survivors!

I just want more games like Endwar because I'm a dumbass who can't into strategy but I like to conquer the world. Help?

Endwar could have been a solid game if it didn't have such massive rock/paper/scissor combat and that retarded camera.

That's kind of what I liked about it, I play Wargame sometimes but it's just too complex for me to be any good at. Endwar is nice and simple, and you get to BTFO the merricans and rooskies.

But you also take orders form a nigger.

meh, you can always play as the americans, i think his pop-sun tzu speeches are fun

Agreed. Balance mods always seem to have bizzare design decisions because… reasons…? Any mod that advertises itself as a balance mod primarily is auto-trashed for me.

Amusingly enough though, your complaints about CoH1 is why I jumped ship to Coh2 of all things. There's a mod called Spearhead that makes things more 'realistic' but the upshot of this is, a sherman or cromwell can take out tanks quite reliably. The t34/84 or 76mm sherman will cheerfully fuck up a panzer 4. Hell, even the 105mm sherman (let along 'proper' tank killers like the IS-2, SU-153 and Pershing and Comet) will fuck up tigers.

Shit, even the american .50 cal team will turn a halftrack into swiss cheese.

Yes, and?

Again, yes and?

Those are both realistic scenarios user. The only "valid" complaint you got is the 105mm Sherman but even then if you hit anything from WW2 enough with HE it will eventually fuck it up.

You misunderstand. I like the mod because it's not a naziboo mod; stuff that could (and did) historically fuck up german stuff does, something both default CoH and mods for CoH1 seemed to refuse to consider.
Then again, Spearhead bills itself as historically accurate mod, not a realism mod.

Ah gotcha user, I apologize. Yeah seems that most modders and even the Relic devs are massive Naziboos. One of the reasons I refused to touch Blitzkrieg Mod was because it went full Naziboo

Spearhead gives the nazi's some nasty stuff (the mp44s especially are vicious) but the point I'm trying to make is, anything they can do the others can usually do back at them. The Stupa/brummbar is fucking savage; it doesn't just hurt like hell but stuns vehicles and infantry from the force of the shockwave.
The sherman 105 does it right back at them, and the KV-2/ISU-153 are fucking terrifying. I did a game yesterday with a friend and very nearly lost a Tiger II (which is stupidly powerful in this game too) to a KV-2. I had to sacrifice a Tiger I.
Brits are hardly slouches either; the Firefly/Comet both really hurt (and are noteably cheaper than german tanks) and I've had situations where a Churchill MKVII has… not beaten a Tiger I, but survived and hurt the Tiger enough to limp off to get repaired.
And the Croc is Death Incarnate for infantry.

I think I may download that user, it seems to make gameplay more fun

This sounds like it becomes Tank War past the midgame.
Is there any way for early units to augment themselves to fight in late game?

Basically, if infantry are in the open they are going to get bullied. But mostly shot; tank machine guns hurt and they suppress/pin. This is mitigated by tanks being expensive to deploy. At the start of the game your manpower is (unless the mapmaker was a 'tard) about 300. Even before you've started building the Tiger II (which is moved from the OKW to OST) your manpower is probably going to be around 200, possibly under. The Tiger II takes 1k manpower and 280 fuel to deploy. Even the 'cheap' Panzer IV is about 400 manpower, and that's a tank two bazookas or one t35/85 away from being a wreck. If I do a compstomp and have the Tiger II, a pair of Tiger Is and some infantry/halftracks and stuff around the manpower income is at 100, which is the cap apparently. Even a 'cheap' or 'shitty' unit like your tier one builders are about 280mp to deploy and 28mp to reinforce, so you can see just how badly tanks… er… tank you resource income.

If tanks drive onto camo'd AT guns, they will wish they hadn't, usually.

Artillery really. Fucking. Hurts. in Spearhead. The Ranger doctrine (yes, doctrines are back, commanders are out) gives them the Long Tom; one shot will oneshot pretty much anything. If it doesn't, then the blast radius will ensure it's stunned or crippled or something. The Stupa is in the german infantry doctrine for example, and while the doctrine is never going to seriously threaten a tank doctrine, the stupa alone will sort out a lone sherman or t34 more often than not.

That being said; infantry in towns are terrifying. Flamethrowers kill gunners, damage the engines, blind/injure the crew (so the los/main gun is shut down for a bit) and on things like halftracks and scout cars can even decrew them entirely. AT grenades hurt too; two AT grenades from the shitty little russian conscripts will turn a panzer IV to scrap. The tricky bit is getting to it, though if you take the Reserve Corp doctrine, you can probably just rush an unsupported tank with a pack of conscripts.

The PIAT, bazooka and panzershreks are vicious; they will reliably twoshot all but the biggest of tanks, you get dedicated AT teams (capped to two) and infantry doctrines usually get more AT options (rangers in the aformentioned Ranger doctrine get the bazookas, for example). Essentially, tanks rule the open fields, but in bocage/urban areas? Infantry are the rapegangs; most infantry (and AT teams) camo in cover too, so they can scuttle along the side of a wall until they're in range with the at weapons. Smoke shells/grenades block lost too, so you can exploit that to get close too since most/all AT teams have smoke grenades along with AT grenades.

Vehicles also make infantry close enough immune to suppression, and the 75mm sherman, t34/76 and all the m3 skdz250 halftracks let infantry fire out of them, so your 75mm sherman can have an AT team with two m9 bazookas on the back too.

The mod is, for better and worse, a very combined arms approach but in a 'logical' way as I hope the above shows; if you're in the open, you're a tank's bitch. If the tank drives onto ambushing AT weapons, they're it's bitch.
If you're in close-range fighting, you're infantry's bitch.
And they're all artillery's bitch.

we are at 301 replies, new thread when?

Should probably be when it get to page 14 or something. Also what do you guys think of Black Moon Chronicle? I just jumped right into it without reading instructions of any sort and got my ass handed to me in the tutorial. The units seem kind of hard to control. Spells seem to be the way to win. Music and setting are pretty kickass though.

Great game of its time.
Now its just a clunky Total War Fantasy with some neat SP

so you homos setting up a game or what?

Soulstorm or Dark Crusade?

Dark Crusade.
Waste too many missions on Waygates in Soulstorm.

Well congratulations, we're at page 15. What is the next step of our master plan?

Starting a new thread
With no survivors
Preferably one talking about what people would like to see in games.