Cash-in Copycats that don't even know what they're copying

ITT: Games trying to cash-in on the success of others without truly understanding why people like what they're copying.

"Souls-Like" games:

What series other than Dark Souls have generated such garbage that misinterprets what makes the thing they're copying so popular to begin with?

Hard Mode: No Cowabotty clones

I wouldn't say though that the appeal comes from pvp really, it goes deeper than that. Fromsoft wanted to make a satisfying game to play, but didn't really understand how to do it. Furthermore they probably realized early in development of Demon's Souls that no matter what they did the A.I was still that an A.I., as such it was limited. They then came up with the idea of the dark wraiths who could match the player in terms of wits not just stats. The darkwraiths are what adds an element of challenge, and unpredictability to an otherwise pretty straightforward game

I don't know about lords of the fallen, but salt and sanctuary emulates every aspect of dark souls including the ebin 2sparse4u lore and easily missed NPC questlines. It also has multiplayer and is easy as fuck with a zweihander.

True, however the longevity of Souls games comes from PvP. Without it's PvP the games would have massive sales drop-off and would be even more niche than they currently are. The PvP adds a lot to the games. Probably more than most people(From Soft especially) understand.

was thinking about this other day.

Metroidvania:
What's it meant to be:

what people think metroidvania means:

Metroid clones that have little platforming sicken me. Especially the kind where's there no platforming in the fucking boss fights.

HAHA GOD WHAT A FAGGOT

Definitely, the pvp serves a huge purpose without it the game is exceedingly dull. I have not played 3, probably never will. But the mound makers sound like so much fun

that pisses me off too.
just standing on the ground jumping over tail swipes and beams in boring.
I want to be frantically rushing about dodging everything.
I also want the boss to be so big you can only see a part of it at a time in most cases.

This. Dark Souls is only played by casuals who can't tell apart difficulty and bad gamedesign. The only true part is memes.

Calling something like Spelunky a Roguelike just because it has permadeath and random generation is kinda like calling Vice City a Doom-clone, because it has shooting and running in it.

:^)

lol

P.T. (Silent Hills demo) clones

I am talking about games like Alison Road, Layers of Fear and Resident Evil 7.

Thats better than pretending to be "hardcore" gamer who only plays "hardcore" games.

It's really not

yeah, no
its primary appeal, whats kept it going for 4 iterations (5 if you count bloodborne, 9 if you count king's field) is its unwillingness to treat the player like a child. No handholding, no obvious solutions, no objective arrows, no "fair and balanced" encounters. The game is trying to kill you and that is truly a refreshing change of pace.

The thing is, almost all games in king's field times were like that.

Its not about "no handholding".

Its just about not being modern.

sauce pls

I'm quoting OP

user don't do this to me pls.

read as: i am afraid to run into anyone who may pose even a slight threat to my very fragile ego

If you want to pvp go play a fucking fighting game, these games are only good for PvE.
Every single fucking souls game has fucking garbage pvp, das2 is the the least shit just by virtue of the slightly less shit but still awful netcode.

i pirate every game and play them offline, fuck PvP

Legend of Grimrock

it became so successful it spawned like half a dozen indie copycats that, just like the Dark Souls copycats, just make you wish you were playing the originals for the first time.

What is street fighter 2

I've seen some shit, but this is beyond shit of my understanding.

All these pve fags in here, DaS/DeS pvp isn't even that difficult.

Demon's Souls is better than Dark Souls.

Really, I just wasnt sauce for the first one, I'm sure I've read it years ago but I can't for my life remember what it was.

don't leave a bro hanging

PvP can be fun user, but saying that it's the focus of the series is incredibly stupid. Even more stupid than lorefags, and lorefags are fucking gay.

Why do people call them Souls games? They werent even the first games to play like that, Phantasy Star and Monster Hunter did them years earlier.

Shouldnt they be called something like Huntan games or Action RPGs?

Have you actually played a souls game? They feel vastly different from monster hunter or any of it's clones. They are similiar, yes, but distinct enough to need to be called by different terms.

Do you think the everage normalfag souls fan has played phantasy star or monster hunter?

And what does baatientertainment's bullshit have to do with the fact that S&S ripped off dark souls in every possible way ?

I've been seeing a lot of dumb shit today.

Why?

It's truly summer now, isn't it?

Like it or not, the pvp is a huge draw. Even more now than the pve, saying it's not is simply isn't true.

The "lore" is shit, memes are cancer and the PvP is utter shit and I'd play a game with good PvP if I wanted it.

Also everything related to the story in Souls is fucking awful. It's told entirely through item descriptions that magically give you random information that you shouldn't have. Most of the story is just speculation from the cancerous fanbase at best and completely made up at worst. It's a perfect example of how not to do storytelling.

I have, Demons and Dark Souls. I ask mainly because of some similarities the franchises all have, even though DaS and DeS have differences in terms of level design and the bonfire mechanics.

Its not like the games are that old, right?

lol

PvP is not difficult AND not entertaining

For normalfag retards, that saw the onlyafro gitgud videos and jumped in the bandwagoon? Yes, of course it i, that doesn't make it less retarded user.

Again, the look and play kind of similar, but the actual combat is incredibly different.

What mango? Google, tineye, and saucenao give bub-kiss.

Listen guys no need to get so uppity. The pvp is one of if not the most important part. It gives it longevity, and variety. It's very challenging no, but it is fun for the most part. PvE is nice, but it is secondary after awhile for many right from the beggining. I wouldn't even play these games anymore if not for the PvP to break up the monotony of the PvE

Maybe you don't actually like these games all that much?

I don't get what they were thinking with Lords of The Fallen. You literally cannot play a heavy weapon unless you exclusively use running attacks, that one shield charge move is OP as shit inspite of looking very weak and the bosses literally had at most two moves that they kept spamming.

Still I'm kind of excited for The Surge and I really hope it's good.

That's compeltely subjective user, and I personally believe your opinion is absolutely retarded.
Yes, pvp is fun, NO, pvp is nowhere near to be the main focus, or the best these games have to offer.

After seeing this webm I don't think I even got to play the game

He's a beautiful ballerina.

Monster hunter is still releasing games, so no. Phantasy star however, thats another story. Phantasy star portable 2 came out a long time ago, but its still not that old. I want to say 2005ish.

video editorfags you know what to do

what's with all these fucking cancerous threads lately?
oh right, it's the current season

i gave it a gentlemans try and i got a gamebreaking glitch after like the third boss and dropped it

the one thing it did right was if you hit enemies with a heavy weapon they'd ragdoll and get sent flying

There's not a specific game in mind, but Holla Forums blames halo for ruining the FPS genre when it weas really shit games tring to copy it poorly and not understanding why halo had the features it had that ruined the genre

Such as them adopting regen health in response to Halo even though Halo didn't actually have regen health, due to them not getting the shield/health interplay

I'm sorry you don't like good games, user

shield regen was still cancer

Every MMO made in the past 10 or so years.

halo did a lot of things right that no one actually copied, like solid co-op campaign with lots of ways to fuck around in levels you've beaten before and actively changing the enemy layouts based on difficulty level. the two weapon limit worked in halo because it had power weapons that would effect how you played the rest of the level. taking the sniper rifle over the rocket launcher would change how you handled the level completely. in these modern games you pretty much just pick two slightly different fucking assault rifles

it also had multiple enemy types during a single sorte which a lot of modern shooters can't pull worth a damn.

Pretty much every boss. They all have three or so attacks and that's it.

The final boss had a very easy to dodge attack, and then for a bit it goes bitch boy mode and spawns cannon fodder that dies in one hit and after like 10 seconds it heals off remaining cannon fodder for shit tier HP.

You can blame denuvo for that shit. I had invisible doors I couldn't go through, lines of dialog that got cut off, a trap that didn't kill me, not being able to save and a bunch of other shit.

It just felt very amateurish for a game made by a known director.

halo 1 shield regen was fucking great cuz it still used health backs. halo 2 onwards it functioned more like regular regen health

Well Dark Souls bosses don't have a lot of variety too, but they don't have attacks that last for 8 fucking seconds and can be evaded by just walking backwards at a moderate speed

There's one boss that gave me trouble and it was all because it had a one shot attack that it did whenever you took its shield down

Also in the game you can sprint and hold your shield up and you'll do a shield charge move that can break walls and stagger enemies. Thing is you can stagger shittons of enemies, including bosses if I remember right.

And breaking someone's guard was a load of fuck. A lot of enemies had great towershields that took almost all of your stamina(all two attacks of your stamina because fuck heavy weapons in that game) to break, and then half a second after the guard break they put their shield up again and it takes all of your stamina again to break it.

The entire MMO category, not even just the MMORPG genre, the whole thing:

What it actually is:

What most think it is:

It's just ridiculous. Intense shooters like Tribes and Enemy Territory have had triple digit playercounts for æons, instanced themepark grindfests with online persistence play typical to MMOs such as Guild Wars work fine without subscriptions using pay2own expansions, intermediate-sized persistent multiplayer virtual world games like Neverwinter Nights work fine on private servers. "MMOs" as commonly exist today, and the people who support them, are a perverse blight on the industry.

An entire game like that would be pretty awesome. Wasn't there a shooter from Capcom or somebody that let players take over enemies in other peoples' games? I think it sucked though, but the idea seemed cool.

Every single thing that's good about Halo (vehicles, enemy squad AI, balanced weapons, super-polished controls, etc…) is a scrap left over from its time as an open-world 3rd-person multiplayer squad shooter.

Regenerating health is always cancer outside single-fight skirmish games, except if there's some limited resource to replace health. Halo makes the trivialization of fight-to-fight health conservation even worse with its constant stream of ammo/weapons off enemies

Fuck you faggot, that is the reason DS 3 ended up feeling so lacking, 70% of the fucking armor is there just for fashion, weapons too, magic is toned down so that you don't abues it on PvP, if i wanted a fucking DS game for the multiplayer part i'd get a fucking fighting game instead

The solstice was less than a week ago, which is as summer as it gets. Try and keep up.
On topic, I've only played Dark Souls 2, and only for like an hour. The PC controls are a hot fucking mess, which is compounded by the fact that your character moves like he's trying to recover from a stroke he had recently.
The single time I died was because I was standing close to an endless drop, and the game seemed to want me to press whatever button on my controller would correspond to A on an Xbox controller, which caused me to swing my weapon, scoot forward a bit, and fall off the edge.
I really don't see the appeal to this game. I'd probably forget it even existed if autists everywhere didn't collectively seem to agree that it's the BEST and HARDEST game with the DEEPEST lore. I'm of the opinion that the game itself isn't hard. It just isn't piss easy like most modern games, what with their objective markers and bullshit like that.
The lore could be interesting, but I can't be bothered to deal with the frustrating control scheme just for that.

that doesn't really make those features less good just because they were taken off the cutting room floor of their original concept

No. Dark Souls 2 is not only a bad "Souls" game, it's a definitively bad game in general.

Shit nigger what are you doing. Go get yourself a controller.

s'cool. Falls in some areas but as a whole I enjoyed it a lot, mainly because I liked the new spear moveset and because of 60 fps. Too bad 3 isn't running well for me at all so I can't play that. Somehow it's running worse than 1.

my first completion of 1 was with a M&KB

I'm just saying that the game as a whole is a mess of disparate abortive elements, so any fun it contains is largely coincidental and unintended.

You didn't use the 60fps mod for 1?
Also if you played the first game with a mouse and keyboard you should know how to play the second with one, and realize that your attack button will definitely not be the same as your interact button.

I don't know about any Capcom examples but Perfect Dark on the N64 had it. It's an interesting concept but it makes difficulty curves wildly inconsistent.

My PC would have most likely exploded with that mod. DS2 was very optimized so I assumed DS3 would have been the same but I guess From "One step forward six backwards" Software decided it was okay

I haven't played DS2 with a M&KB to be honest so I don't know what you're talking about.

forgot my disgrace

Misread your first post.
Issue with the controls there is that your controller isn't properly mapped to the right control.
Not the fault of DaS 2

This shit

Why are memes considered a good thing these days? That's something I've been noticing.
2 years ago memes of any kind were considered shit. if you called it a meme the joke was already dead. Why did we regress?

People just learnt the true meaning of the word meme.

At that point I was referring to it as a series, and not just bitching about 2.

it has the best combat and exploration and invasion mechanics in the series
you're retarded

meant for

But people say that word all the time. People apply it to everything these days.
Might as well call it "idea" instead.

Other thread didn't go so well?

A meme is pretty much an idea.

"Meme" does not mean advice animals, it does not mean a funny picture with a caption on it, it does not mean any given in-joke. It's a squares/rectangles problem. All of those things are memes, but not all memes are those things. A meme is a cultural artifact that propogates due to people sharing it with each other and spreading from person to person. A meme frequently takes on some meaning or significance other than that which it was literally intended to have in the first place. The entire concept of language is a meme - a series of rules applied to arbitrarily-defined grunts and sounds that are tacitly agreed upon by any two or more people hoping to communicate. Every in-joke you've ever had with your friends is a meme. Idioms like "throwing the baby out with the bath water" are memes. Memes aren't intrinsically bad. Without them communication wouldn't be possible. People don't like shit memes like "dat boi" and "Damn, Daniel" not just because they're memes, but because they're SHIT memes.

All three of those are the worst in the series.
b8

I was just typing up something similar.
Thanks for saving me the effort.

read as: i have never played dark souls 2
none of the other games have sconces to light that activate some secret, none of the others have a boss arena that is changed based on how thoroughly you've explored the area, none of the other games have gilligan or anything like him
i can't prove to you that combat is the best because you haven't played it, but the reason you don't like being constantly invaded is because you're a giant sandy vagina

That's my problem with this whole thing. This ironic meme trend is cancer and I want it to end, but it's the entire point and everyone joins in on the cancer.
You're right though.

probably because they're true arguments, retard
i don't see you refuting jack shit so keep your mouth shut unless you enjoy looking like a triggered bitch because other people like things you don't

But aren't all memes by definition shit memes?

I mean they are used as a terrible and cringe inducing alternative to real and meaningful conversation. It's either a incredibly autistic way to convey how special an individual you are.

I think that's why when normalfags use them outside image boards it's so fucking awful.
Because something that we usually see/hear in a closed, anonymous environment where it doesn't really affect us is being used in a open, fully social environment.

Just a theory

It definitely seems like you do

So like I was saying, for non-memelords and non-hipsters, 2 is the best one.
It's the most completed, it has the most viable builds in both PvE and PvP, it has the most fun weapons to use, power stance, objectively the best invasion mechanics, every covenant actually works and is different from the others, it has the most secrets, the best netcode, and the best environments, among many, many other strengths that retards like you are so sure is wrong because lol a meme told me so.

I'd say it's worse when people use them on image boards, because it's stinking up the place with cancer and they know it.

Wasn't Dark Maus some comic about mice as juden in Mousewitz?

On the contrary, it's the least completed, it has the least viable builds in both PvE and PvP, it has the least fun weapons to use, objectively the worst invasion mechanics, every covenant is broken and redundant, it has the fewest secrets, the worst netcode, and the worst environments, among many, many other flaws that retards like you are willing to defend because you like eating shit. Your move.

Well actually, I just play the game to have fun but i guess I'm stupid like that

Jews as rats, it's really perfect.

Looks like someone never played Dark Souls "dexonlynoheavyarmor" 3

read as: i get angry because the other kids don't want to play with me >:'(

*it had the least viable builds in both PvE and PvP until Dark Souls "dexonlynoheavyarmor" 3 came out

Oh, you're 100% right then.

Mindjack, by Square Enix. That's what I was trying to think of.

Anyway, maybe if the game was designed around that happening as the intended mode of play, to account for player skill and so on, it could be polished more. I guess Left 4 Dead might be something to examine, too.

Someone can't beat a souls game.

none of you seem to know why demons souls has online at all. miyazaki himself explained it in an interview as one time he and many others were stuck going up hill in bad weather. Eventually it got to the point where people at the bottom of the hill were pushing them over the top, he wanted to thank them, but couldn't because it would ruin everything set up, but it was a chain of new people helping the next person up, with no thanks or anything.

This was the foundation of why the souls games are online at all. It wasn't about making the next leet esports faggot shit. If you don't understand it, the opposite of it is true for why there is PVP.

It is played for the real time combat, the grinding and customisation, exploring settings.

The explanations don't exist and it is better that way.

Soulsborne is good because they have this throwback thing going on, when games just let you explore a dangerous world, collect loot, and fight big bosses, and didn't throw expository cutscenes at you for a "cinematic experience". If you're patient and smart, they're not very tough. If you rush in expecting to be invincible (like modern games) you simply die. People like the lore b/c it manages to be mysterious but still gives you most of the picture if you're willing to read a bunch of items and talk to everyone.
"Story" does not necessarily equal "art". It's all about presentation. Something like The Last of Us or something might have a technically decent, competent story, but it's all thrown at you in a careless, lazy way. To use a movie comparison, it's like the difference between "Abyss" & "Avatar".

You'd enjoy George Orwell's essay "Politics & the English Language", it's on this very topic. The use of a "meme" (in his time I guess they were just political/social buzzwords) proves that one has nothing new to say and is reliant on cliches, it's sort of a language crutch for people who no think smart. Check out the essay.

double post

Metroidvania inspired games who's upgrades to move on to the next area are just literal keys. Instead of some sort of combat/mobility upgrade.

Aliens: Infestation is guilty of this, so many fucking keycards. I'll admit that it is a Metroidvania that limited by only using "upgrade/items" from the Aliens universe though.

We all clearly like Dark Souls for different reasons here. I play it solely for the satisfying melee combat animations and sound effects. I fucking loathe the rest of the game. No quicksaves, no saving anywhere, losing souls and humanity when dying twice, shit le so dank and grimm atmosphere, shit enemy design, boring level design, shit bosses, simon sez combat, shit music, shit story, shit lore you don't even care about, shit pvp system, and shit fanbase. It's a piece of shit game that I can enjoy for one simple aspect.

my little user can't possibly be this casual

Unfortunately 'rogue-like' now means 'go back to the start if you die, except maybe with upgrades, and the map is a little randomized from a selection of premade sections'

Probably the most Rogue-like game that isn't a roguelike is ARPGs such as Diablo. I always wonder what would happen if an AAA studio took Tom Biskup's longstanding offer and made a big-budget Diablo-ish version of ADOM.

Aren't most of those more modeled on that dopey SCP game?

erectioninprogress.flv

That's one of the most Japanese things I've ever read

Another example is items in later Zelda games, like the spinner and dominion rod in Twilight Princess.

DaS PvP is pure trash, and its PvE is the ONLY redeeming feature about the game.

But user, you can save anywhere. Just exit the game.

I don't care about your autistic taste, you fat weeb faggot.

No, I mean

not

>I'm really bad at videogames but I don't want YOU to tell me that I'm really bad at videogames

Nah, I'm okay with you calling me bad at video games. I mean, it's just a fucking game, holy shit.

Cash-ins like what you've described have been around since the dawn of the patent system and has taken the forms of books and movies.

I should mention Call of Duty 4 because, after that came out, everyone wanted to replicate its success, even Infinity Ward after the leads left to work on FTL. But CoD4 has some things that the copycats could never get right:

As for games trying to cash in on the top-down shooter craze created by Hotline Miami: I'll use 12 is better than 6 as an example:

Oh yeah, and most important about the knife in 12: it has dodgy hit detection. It's the most vital component of any video game weapon.