oocities.org/xo_pitseleh/
legendofmana.info/
archive.is/HU2bb
youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4BxlbmpwA
youtube.com/watch?v=xharVDsxEyQ
forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122505
8ch.net/vr/res/3606.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Never had a PS1, so I had to play it at my friend's house. From what I remember, Crash 1-3, Spyro 1-3, MGS, and Castlevania were good.
someone post a webm of the boot screen

Medievil 1 and 2
Silent Hill 1
Apocalypse
Brave Fencer Musashi
All Crash Bandicoot games (specially the spinoffs)
Earthworm Jim II
Mega Man games
Spyro games

Can summer be over already? I want my board back.

Grandia
Ace Combat 3
Ridge Racer 4
Wip3out
Klonoa
Rayman 1/2
Oddworld
Parappa
RE/Dino Crisis/Parasite Eve
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Suikoden
Valkyrie Profile
Dragon Quest VII
Star Ocean 2

There's a shitload of Mega Man on the console, too

We've had this thread like a dozen times. And a quick google search will tell what are good PS1 and 2 games.

Dubs

The Jap version, not the butchered abortion the West got. I just want the fucking translation patch to be finished already.

Great games, especially 2, which is much, much larger in scope than 3, but sadly missing the "internet".

Great cutscenes and fun gameplay. Can't think of that many more games that let you control a spider tank (Metal Warriors?).

What Resident Evil 4 is to the first three this one is to Dino Crisis.

Fuck you, nigger.

Even the not-so-great games from the Playstation era had some charm to them. You could tell that the devs really poured their hearts into what they were doing, i miss that so much.
I pity the kids today who will never experience gaming at it's truest form.

Someone just post a chart because I'm sick of seeing this shit every week

The JP version of AC3 is just like playing Master difficulty in STALKER
I never fucking brought up Dino Crisis 2, don't put words in my mouth you piece of shit faggot.

If you want, you can contribute to the thread by posting recommended games, instead of picking on anons who didn't list the exact games you like.

Wouldn't that be Dino Crisis 3?.

And those are just the ones I played.

DMC1 and 3
God Hand
Viewtiful Joe
Okami
Shinobi

It's like you want me to bully you.

I don't know what you are talking about. Dino Crisis ended with the second game.

But anyway
Spaces "sims" with a strong arcade vibe, the main gimmick of the game is that the campaign is non-linear. Losing a mission doesn't mean you have to restart it, it just puts you on a new fork, kinda like what Wing Commander did.

Spin-off of Megaman Legends, where you play as the hot villain chick. Is a combination of several kinds of games, you have action segments where you control the mecha, a dungeon crawling segments, puzzle segments, you get to upgrade your equipment and train up your bots through minigames.

Likely more famous for the cel shaded graphics, "mature" themes and narrative and lesbians than the fact that it's a tweaked and improved, more action oriented take on the Resident Evil formula.

I fucking love this game. The action is fast paced, the weapons satisfying to use, the cutscenes are actually funny, and it has one of the best multiplayer modes of the PS1. I can't remember how many hours I wasted with my friends playing this shit.

Basically Worms in 3D, only not shit. You pick one country and lead your WW1 pigs to victory. Also features a single player campaign where your pigs gain experience if they survive a mission and unlock new abilities and weapons that way. Great voice acting too.

One of the best games of all time, coming through.

What emulator does Vib Ribbon work on?

Patrician taste my friend.

Any emulator, really.

All PSX games should work best on PCSX-R. The only PS2 emulator is PCSX2

That's not mednafen.

Thrasher: Skate and Destroy for PS1 is definitely worth a try if you like extreme sports games. Has a more realistic feel compared to THPS.

Also for PS1, the Syphon Filter and Tenchu series.

Does my PS1 startup webm look better or worse than yours?

PCSX-R is dead and buggy while mednafen psx upscales games better, supports widescreen and has an overclock feature.

PS1 not PS2 you dolt

Fucking plebians all of you

Legend of Mana was my darling PS1 favorite back in the day. Enviroments look great and the music is fantastic, but the combat is relatively weak. My favorite part is that the game is more driven by sidequests rather than a cohesive plot. Giving it a similar charm to Majora's Mask.

While I do love this game it does seem to go out of its way to hide how everything works from you. So I would not go in totally blind.

oocities.org/xo_pitseleh/ has alot of great info straight from the LoM Ultimania that clears a few things up.

legendofmana.info/ is another great resource for information with a concise walthrough.

Gross.

This is so fucking pretentious and smug
we may be plebs, but at least we ain't hipster.

Nobody ever mentions this.

Play Einhänder.

Play it now.

Started playing Gran Turismo 2 again emulated on my PC Just wondering if I should start playing Ace Combat 5 again?

For what possible reason did you quit?

Did you find out you are gay?

Colony Wars is considered patrician?
I dunno whether to be flattered or depressed. We're never getting another one are we?

I'd love more games that take into account failure scenarios and allow you to play further. Too bad the industry shits all the budget on marketing to retards, so they never have the cash to bother with content a player might not see on his first playthrough.

Best commercial coming through

Currently playing Rule of Rose, which is comfy as fuck.
Btw. I've played and loved Silent Hill1-3, now a lot of people have told me 4 is not worth playing etc., but I kinda want to because I'd like to finish all parts released on the ps2.
How bad is it? Just a little weaker than the first 3 or outright tedious?

If you havent already, pick up a copy or download an iso of the first two parasite eve games. Its one of the best ps1 games in my opinon.

SH4 stands strong on its own merits
it gets some flak for having different pacing than other SH games but it started as a game for a different franchise

Chrono cross
Dino Crisis 2
Crash Bandicoot Warped
Metal Gear

Even back then i used to think the graphics were weird as fuck, whats is it called that thing the psx had that the textures fucking move around?

sounds like garbage, tell me why i should download it in 20 words or less

Alien Resurrection
Die Hard Trilogy
Macross VF-X 2
Vanark

Texture warping?

Nigger are you kidding me? So like for 4 fucking years games were just arbitrarily good just by being on the PS1? Have you even played any other games? No of course you have, you just got a PS1 (or PS1 emulator) and you want recommendations. Since you got a PS1 you think it makes you smart. Well it doesn't, you just sound like a pretentious hipster/faggot.

MGS1 is the bomb tho :)

Want to emulate it on my PC since I no longer have a Playstation

Goddamn, why doesn't Sony ever do this anymore?

ok, just tested th enew ishiiruka, based on build 5.0

holy shit.

My nigger
The sound quality and tracks on a good number of the games are something memorable.

Plus, I miss the fucking rainbow-arcade texture that would appear either on special bars and such. Those just go out of style?

they are both pretty shit

It actually didn't. Will you quit parroting hearsay now?

It's not that great user, I honestly have no idea why people consider it as a "holy trinity game" when JP3, 2, and 6 are much better. It's filled with Konos set pieces making for a game with very little freedom, considerably less replay ability along with having brain dead AI and an extremely forced MUH PEACE storyline that's almost as cheesy as 6's. Go play 0 The Belkan War instead.

PE2 is awesome. I'm a huge REfag and even then I've beaten PE2 alone more times than I've beaten the games of the RE series that are worth playing.

PE1 is good but I don't find it to have the lasting appeal and replay value of 2 (outside of its amazing OST by Yoko Shimomura).

for shame.

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?

wrong

Get a CD burner and point to the .cue

The Room is only slightly weaker than the first three, and its loads better than what came after.

This right here is a vidya gaem.

PS1

Castlevania Chronicles
One
Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
Strikers 1945 1, 2
Space Invaders
Gundam Battle Assault 1, 2
Robo-Pit 1, 2 (Jap 2, US version cuts out all music)
Tetris Plus
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Blaster Master: Blasting Again
Point Blank 3
Assault Retribution

Does the emulator do the play any song thing I heard vib ribbon does? Like, playing the game to a disc in the drive.

Did anyone here also had a 4 in 1 with The King of Fighters 98, Ehrgeiz, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Tekken 3? Just to be sure that it wasn't something random that I bought from a guy.

My nigga.

This actually looks quite good for an emulator. Can you get decent accuracy too? I don't care about 4K, so what basic setup looks and runs best?

Yes
archive.is/HU2bb
I think PowerISO is the only fucking program able to create BIN + CUEs without a disc.

The filenames of the audio files must also be valid (no special characters)

Driver: You are The Wheelman is the only true gem of that era, and it played so much better on PC.

Console games were never good.

He's correct though

Should i use mednafen from retroarch or download it standalone?

retroarch doesn't break Windows Aero. I had to stop using mednafen due to tearing.

Most overrated game on the system.

Awful artstyle.

Terrible story that just won't let up with the amateurishly long-winded exposition.

They tried way too hard.

Gutter trash

Fuck PE2, I want my fucking sci-fi mystery back, not a fucking RE clone.

WTF, compared to some modern games, Vagrant Story's artstyle still holds up.
It pushed the PS1 to it's limits, and it still looks good today compared to other games

Maybe if you like to shop at hot topic.

Both games were good, stop being flustered over it.

Compared to now? Sure. Back then anyone who played PE1 knew that PE2 was a step back. Even the story was weaker.

lol, the final boss just a kid clone of eve. That's the tweest.

I played PE1 after PE2 EU never got the first so I had to emulate it so my view might be a bit biased but PE1 did music, camera and gameplay concept better while PE2 did gameplay execution and graphics

Story and postgame/NG+ content is a tie for me ho,estly never cared all that much about the story itself

>lol, the final boss just a kid clone of eve. That's the tweest.
The final boss is the eve unwillingly fused with the ultimate being

And that's not the tweest
The tweest happens during your second visit to Shelter B2 when you can finally get into the fucking lab

I gave reasons for my argument. You've given none except for "it pushed the ps to it's limits". It really didn't though. It was ambitious sure, but the art style is far to busy inside the actual game. Outside the game the art looks extremely homoerotic and quite frankly ridiculous. Might work better in some broadway show for fags.

You sound terribly insecure.

This is where I'm supposed to accuse you of projecting.

The story and game was so boring compared to the first I glazed my eyes during the final act. All I remember is eve girl and speakers being a mechanic for the final boss. For all the shit i'm talking about PE2 there is one redeeming factor about PE2, at least it's not Galarians.

Actually, if you're going for overrated, Vagrant Story is far from it.
It wasn't as popular as the Final Fantasy series, especially when it was released about the end of life of the PS1.
It did push it though, and you have nothing to back it up. The artstyle went with each other that you could still find people bring Vagrant Story up in low poly threads as an example of good artstyle.

You, however keep going on about how faggy the clothes look. I'm sorry you're too insecure about your own sexuality

You might have gotten your stuff mixed up, there's 2 battle that fit that description one where you fight a giant elongated humanoid figure that eve has on a psychic leash and there's 2 speakers draining you MP (plasma+necrosis+P229 is pretty hilarious as a strat for that particular boss).
youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4BxlbmpwA

Then you have the final boss which is eve fused with the previous boss and also has a mechanic similar to speakers except this time when the screen start oscillating your MP recharges faster and faster up until you immolate and lose all of them and get a silence debuff for your trouble.
youtube.com/watch?v=xharVDsxEyQ

you mean the first console to market itself to normalfags?

I remember the screenshaking/MP mechanic. I remember beating the game but I felt like the entire thing was a step back from what made the first game good.

No, that was the NES

Nigga do you even know what that word means? Vagrant Story is the least known square rpg for psx and one of the best

Wild ARMS 2, what have they done to you?

How sad is it that I know exactly what boss and party this is.

I miss good Platformers.

I don't want to lug around an old TV those things are one of the most awkward things you can move around it's not a matter of weight but it's got this weird center of balance and it's hard to get a good grip, I recommend emulating the CRT experience.

CRT is not really capable of being fully 100% or even 99% captured because of how flatscreens work on top of being flat but most of the shit you'd have to deal with using real CRT is not stuff I miss or recommend like the glowing colored lines at the end of the screen, or the haze that hangs over everything, or that noise I could go on it seems like nitpicking but dealing with that shit for years I can't tolerate it anymore after moving on to flatscreens.

For when you want the dark souls exploration and lore experience without a murdermonkey in EVERY cubbyhole.

Off topic, but do you have the other charts of this type?

wew

wew

We're talking about the PS1 here.

Playstation was for white trash niggers. The real gamers were either playing on Win95 or importing games for their Saturn.

Pretty sure there was a fucking RPG/Racing game combo Square made called Racing Lagoon on the system. Don't think it was well received though, and it certainly wasn't brought west.

Scavenger Mode and Bounty Mode in PE2's postgame > PE1's EX Mode, fuck the Chrysler Building and its RNG floors. EX Mode isn't even a step up in difficulty in the regular plot because your weapons and armor carry over.

I do miss customizing shit like you can in PE1 though.

PE1's combat system is not at all deep and the weapon classes are all samey. PE2 lets you bayonet motherfuckers or throw fireballs or use an underbarrel M4A1 stun gun.

that strat is great. I usually just energyshot + 40mm spam him though.

Where's Ape Escape?

This is the first game to require the DualShock controller since back then the PS controller didn't had any joysticks

did someone say ps2 gems?

King's Field is much closer to early TES than Dark Souls. I wish people would stop comparing everything to Dark Souls nowadays.

This looks nothing like a CRT. Only barely resembles how it would look if you were squinting at one from like 15ft away and while using swimming googles. I got no complains about it except when hipsters like you pretend this is better or equal to real hardware and feel smug about it. Even a Pc crt with some tweaking would be better at this than a 4k flatscreen. Kill yourself my man

Well you must admit that the storytelling and presentation style is a bit similar, a quite lonely crapsack world that you make your way through and see cool things in. Story is something that the player needs to seek to find and discover instead of being shoved in front of their eyes.

Of course gameplay-wise they're very different.

It irritates me when they call Dark Souls a 'spiritual successor' or something like that, but for whatever reason more people are familiar with dark souls than King's field, so it's a common base of communication nowadays.

A lonelier, grittier early TES with less focus on character development, more focus on the narrative while still allowing non-linear elements and without cookie cutter dungeons?

I think I am the only person on this fucking site to have played this game. Nevertheless, it was pretty damn good.

Disney's Hercules was pretty good.

Doesn't change that it was a good game

Your going to have to be more specific then that what you've described is so vague I can pinpoint many games from multiple generations that fits your description. The aesthetics of Dark Souls is more "dark, ancient,medieval, grand, The End, melancholy" off the top of my head.

Fuck yes. Matsuno is a god.

Too bad Unsung got practically canned.

bump

You motherfuckers and your shitty games that literally everyone has played.

Tail Concerto. Spiritual successor on the DS called Solatorobo

PS2
What up, nigga?

It's a cute game but let's be real here, you're only playing this because >>>/kemono/

nah nigga, that game was my childhood. Didn't even know about furries or weebs when I played it the first few times

I'll never stop recommending Gaoranger. This is the single comfiest, most PS1-looking PS1 beatemup I've ever played.

For some reason I'm guessing that never saw a western release? Doesn't sound familiar to me.

Nope, it was a Japanese exclusive. The full title is Hyakujuu Sentai GaoRanger if you're interested in the ISO. There was also a sequel, Ninpu Sentai Harikenger, which added multiplayer and more characters.

Makes me wonder if anyone's made an eboot of it, since playing through the PSP is my go to for PS1 games these days.

Is it playable enough without needing to know moon?

Very much so. It's a hybrid between a fighting game and an arcade beatemup, so there really isn't much of anything to read.

Not sure about the eboot, I've never owned a PSP. Shouldn't be too complicated given the ISO though.

Unfortunately for me, patchers and, in cases like this, conversion programs don't tend to like my toaster. I'll see about adding it to a list of things to look into though.

One more thing, is the game L2/R2/Right Analog stick heavy? Because the PSP lacks those (though if the left analog stick isn't being used, L2 and R2 can be mapped to it).

Gaoranger is what Power Rangers Wild Force comes from. None of the Japanese Power Rangers games came over here.

Not at all, it only uses the d-pad and the four face buttons.

This is gonna be fun.

Glad to see someone else appreciate PE2 as much as I do. The replay value alone is making my mouth water. Bounty Mode is just so much fun.

Games to play with siblings:
- Champions of Norrath
- Champions return to arms

Games to play with whole family
- Crash Bash
- Shrek super party

Games to play if solo:
- Shadow Hearts
- Shadow Hearts: Covenant
- Dark cloud
- Dark chronicle (sequel)
- Valkyrie chronicles 2: silmeria (The game before it was on the ps1)
- Yugioh the duelists of the roses

I just learned there's a 3rd shadow hearts game. I've got to get that asap.

Just a heads up the third Shadowhearts is solid in terms of gameplay but aesthetics have shifted to be even more removed then the second game in terms of light heartedness.

It's a shame the Einhander pinball machine wasn't functional in-game.

PE2 is the kind of game you can get autistic about. The enemies all have different reactions to your weapons and PE abilities and its rewarding to learn them (incendiary and burst ammo shreds divers, r.slugs can hit multiple GOLEMs, plasma or hammer vs beetles) and exploit them in future runs.

I wish you had replay mode layered onto bounty mode so you could get the nutso shit from the shop early and have fun blowing up GOLEMs in Akropolis Tower.

This game is too underappreciated to ever be remade or get a true sequel because most dismiss it as an uninspired RE clone (and because SE lost the license or something to Hideaki Sena)

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only reason people regard the PS2 games as the Holy Trinity is because most of Holla Forums started the series with the PS2 games and shit on the rest of the series. And only talk about the PS2 games ad naseum

3rd Birthday is way worse. There are literally no redeemable features about that shit pile.

Oh and fucking play Road Rash and Road Rash 3D. There was also Road Rash Jailbreak, but I never played it. But Road Rash is the shit.

Most PS1 games are hard as fuck to go back to because they control like absolute garbage

Cult classics can be overrated too you moron

Maybe you should get a better controller user. or have a controller at all

Silent Hill and Resident Evil were very spooky games, loved RE for its Evil Dead cheesiness and SH for the constant sense of dread.

As the other guy said, From the New World has a different tone to it. Nautilus apparently considered it a side game and had wanted to make an eventual Shadow Hearts III (FtNW not even being numbered in Japan, unlike Covenant), but their publisher Aruze dissolved their team before they could.

I honestly have no idea if I love this series because it's nostalgic or because it is actually good. I must have hundreds of hours in the second game from when I was a kid and I still like all of them when I emulate them.

I saw some footage of RoadRash and I think I'm gonna pick it up for PS1. I think I had it for Saturn. I really can' remember what version I owned. I hope it's as good as I remember it though.
I wish I would've stocked up on PS1/2 games when gamestop was getting rid of them. It''s a pain having to scour the internet for deals and paying more for shipping than the entire game for cheaper titles.

Most PS2 titles are still pretty reasonable aside from a handful of them, and some "must plays" are downright cheap, such as how the Ace Combat games are all less than $10 each where I live. Most PS1 games aren't too bad in price either, though some of the JRPGs are.

I just like how at gamestop I can check the quality of the case and manual without having to ask for pictures or analyze the ones they have and I can buy things for a couple dollars where if I buy something online the shipping is $4 most of the time. At least ebay can be pretty nice with sellers offering free shipping. Sometimes I get deals where I almost feel bad, since the seller is making practically nothing after shipping..

You can do that at other used vidya focused stores (provided you still have some around; Gamestop drove all the non-multimedia ones out of town, but there's a handful in the surrounding towns where Gamestop is less prevalent) than Gamestop. But I agree, when it comes to used games, I generally prefer to look around locally first, between being able to investigate the item quality myself, and in some cases with some patience, get really cheap pickups, like a complete original label Xenogears for $5 (normally $30-40 where I live).

Big annoyance is when there's something you're looking for, even a game as recent as last gen, and nowhere in town has it, and every seller online that has a complete copy is asking a marked up price in comparison. Hoping any of the local Fucking Gamestops get a complete PS3 copy of El Shaddai in soon; nearest location with it is 60 miles away round trip and it's disc only anyhow.

I've been trying to find good mom and pop stores, but a lot of the ones I've been to really need to work on their pricing. Sometimes I find deals of things they must not adjusted anyway, but what I mean about gamestop is when they start clearing out stock for newer systems the prices can be incredibly cheap and then when you combine that with their B2G1 deal you can walk out of there with a huge pile as a startup for a system or to help fill it out nicely. I recently picked up a bunch of stuff like Project Sylpheed, FFXIII, Enchanted Arms, Anarchy Reigns, and MGSIV for under $3 each. All complete in nice condition too. When I get a PS3 and 360 I'm gonna have a ton of games waiting for me.

I want that too. If you ask they should be able to send it to your local store. I've never done it, but they asked me a bunch of times before for games they didn't have. Just have them make sure it's complete and in nice condition first, so you don't have to reject or return it.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I really need to find places like that. Maybe I should see if there's some pawn shops close in hopes they don't just copy ebay and then mark up from there.

Yeah, those "no longer stocking for X system" sales can be nice. Wish I'd had more spending money for when they had their Gamecube and PS2 stuff marked down.

Might want to be on the look out for Yakuza 3 and 4 if those are of interest, as they strike me as the sort that might become harder to find/more expensive down the line.

I might drop by the local one and ask again. Already tried before a few days back, but they were really busy at the time and could only give one location a call.

Apparently you can order a copy of it from their online storefront, but that strikes me as a crapshoot about if they send you something complete, let alone in good condition.

The pawn shops here all suck to try to find vidya at. I found that one at a local multimedia chain. They can be really hit or miss about prices, but I've managed some really good finds there from time to time (best find was Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance there for $10 about three or so years back). Maybe consider seeing if you have anywhere like that where you are, just note that it can take a few visits to really get a feel for whether they have a chance to be really good about prices. Probably took me about 3-4 trips to find anything cheap but worthwhile at the one I go to.

Best ps1 emulator?

At least we're starting to hit that point for last generations games. It just sucks, because I only have so much money and I don't want to miss it this time, yet there's new games I still want to buy and I'd like to grab a lot of PS2 stuff in case people realize how amazing it was and the prices start going up. It seems like they already are for certain games, I could swear Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy went up right after Sony released them for PS4. I would think that they'd go down from people having more ways to play them, but maybe it just helped make people aware of them again, raising prices.

It is, but at least they'll return it for any reason. Maybe it will actually help make them more aware how much people want cases and manuals. I think they type the reason you tell them into their computer. Not that you even have to tell them why though.

Good lord. I really do need to get around more. It can be annoying when you don't find anything, but that's pretty much the only way you'll ever find something like that.

Mednafen all the way.

Rogue Galaxy's still fairly cheap where I live at about $15-20. If anything, I see it much more frequently where I live since it got a PS4 PSN rerelease; makes me wonder if people have taken to trading in their old copies more. Can't say the same for Dark Cloud 2, which is still a good $40+ (it's been like that a few years now if memory serves) and I don't see it around that much. I suppose the PSN rereleases don't entirely effect prices (though in the cases of the really expensive ones, I've seen them drop maybe $20 or so, such as Suikoden II going down from $130 to $110 or so).

I don't think Gamestop cares about whether a copy's complete or not, at least on a company level, hence why they so readily trash the cases and manuals for various systems to have more shelf space, the way they did with the PS2 and DS games. And some employees are all too happy to push the "it's the game you want, why should you care if it's complete or not? You're lucky if we have a copy" logic on you.

Some more finds of mine if it helps with motivation. Just bear in mind this has been over the last few years, not all at once.
Got more, but for now I'm just limiting it to that particular store. Also, had a bit of a dry spell for finds recently; in some cases I see the same games at more "average" prices than I paid (such as Pokemon SS for $55), but it's hard to tell if overall they've gotten more wise to their pricing or if people just haven't been trading as much worthwhile stuff in to them.

Akuji was nice.

Dude there was Dual Analog before Dual Shock.

i wish this meme would fucking die already. i cringe every time.

It's still cheap enough, but it just seemed like it went up $5-$10 on ebay and had less available. Hopefully it balanced back out and it was just a slight spike, because some people found out about it because of PS4.

They obviously don't, but if there's enough evidence that it will be financially beneficial to start caring about them they might. It would kinda make more sense now that they have that retro section and are in a tough spot with digitals increased stranglehold. They should really be showing off the benefits of physical every chance they get. Even Target has a system for paying and charging more for better/more complete copies. You'd think Gamestop could manage it.

Damn, that place sounds awesome. There's some pretty niche games on there too. Even at higher prices it's cool when places have them.

Wouldn't be the first time complaining actually worked, though it still needs numbers to back it up. Guy I know that works at an independent game store apparently used to work at Gamestop during late sixth gen/early seventh gen era, and said that Gamestop only stopped putting price stickers on the cover art itself (when pressed for the reasoning, he said it was simply "to devalue the games and provide reason to ask slightly less" and he wasn't happy about his involvement in doing so) after the chain got a few hundred complaints about them doing so, particularly for hard to find games. They stopped doing it, but the damage was done.

I wouldn't exactly say they're awesome (some games they ask 3 times what other stores around here want for them), but every so often to prove why they're worth going back to. Also the fact that you build up points by buying there that can be put toward discounts on buying stuff (though it's like $13 to a point). And yeah, I've been wondering if the nicheness of a game might affect what they price it at, if they think it might take too long to sell (and thus consumes shelf space for a longer time), and thus price them lower to get them out the door quicker. But the fact that I've found stuff like Twilight Princess, Super Mario Sunshine, and Pokemon, and Xenogears (admittedly JRPGs are somewhat niche, but Square is pretty well known) at low prices there make me think otherwise.

how is your eye cancer doing, faggot?

Go back to plebbit.

I always figured it was to make the differences between used and new seem less. They remind me of this gamecrazy video how much they make their employees push used.

Oh okay, it's still cool they even have a point system. Do they sell new releases? I'd much rather buy from a small place than Amazon or Gamstop if I'm gonna pay $60 for something that just came out. I just don't know of any places to do it.

Not exactly. I mean, I don't think that multimedia place can secure preorders or whatever, but I see new releases turn up occasionally close after release date. They had a used copy of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir for the Vita for $23 about a week or so after release recently.

There's an independent used game place I know of that you can preorder new games from (which really just comes out to the employee picking the game up from Walmart themselves and giving it to you from their own store). The perks being that you don't give Gamestop money (said place hates Gamestop) and they shave $5 off the pricetag, but the drawback is that you don't get any preorder bonuses through them, be it physical stuff or DLC codes

Holy shit, I wonder why someone would sell it that cheap already. If they're only charging $23 then they probably only paid like $12.

I don't get it. They eat a $5 for you? Do they have that Best Buy thing so they actually save $10 or Amazon Prime or something?

They'll take the $5 hit if it means you keep denying Gamestop business. I'm honestly not entirely sure where they buy from.

I don't know, I found it odd myself. Especially since at the time they were still asking about $30 for Odin Sphere PS2, which they've since dropped to $12.

Then again, this is the same store I got PoR at for $10, so I wager they likely paid the guy that traded them it about $2-3 for it. Not complaining though if it mens more cheap finds for me.

Every time I tried getting into Legend of Mana, I stopped early because I wasn't engaged in the world/story/characters/combat.

more

Suikoden 1 and 2.

It's hard to make a list of good PS1 games because there were just so many. It's easily my favorite console period.

The fact it's so easy to emulate is just the icing on the cake. It was such an easy console to develop for which directly lead to so many good games being made for it. And consequently made it really easy to emulate.

just 1850 games.
and i bet my ass there is still this one game i never played

Every console is marketed to normalfags. Doesn't mean there aren't niché games on it.

Ever heard of Ar Tonelico qoga? Exactly.

1850 games is an enormous fucking amount of games.

It's not even the amount of games overall that concerns me as much as how there was just so many good ones in total. I remember back when I still had a PS1 and a PS2 I had at least double the amount of PS1 games compared to PS2.

I still gotta replay pic related, one of my favorite games for it.

The N64 didn't even stand a chance. Just under 300 games.

Well except in America. Sony just couldn't win in that market.

Part of why I've tried to do occasional updates for since there's indeed a lot of worthwhile stuff, but lately there haven't been a lot of PS1 specific threads to get decent input from (also prefer to wait until a thread specific to a given system to do an update for it), though I suppose that's not just limited to PS1 threads these days either; most frequent systems threads I see are for Xbox and Dreamcast lately.

Anyone know if playing that digitally as an eboot or through emulation reduces the loading I hear the PS1 version has?

i make the most emuthreads and ps1 threads. They are always slow and die 2 days later. It's nothing compared to the old days on halfchan. On top of that these threads are sometimes full with goon-shittier folks, thanks to the GG thread on this board that attracts these people like the light attracts moths.

i rly don't understand why this shitposting shithole is still going on? Why don't they go to KiA or gghq? They are jsut shitposting anyway?

well, said with that. You will have a hard time here to find more games for your list.

It's odd, I used to see plenty of variety in threads for various systems and they'd get plenty of posts in general, which was nice since I could get a lot of input on stuff. Lately though there just haven't been a lot and they die off fast. Makes me wonder if some people maybe left for other places back when the site was shitting itself hard.

ANONS, HELP ME PLEASE

Recently I manage to make the pcsx2 emulator work on my machine after days of tinkering with files and even formatting my windows

After playing a few ps2 titles I remember a, probably japanease made, RPG about dragons. It had multiple disks ( 2 or more I do`nt remember ) but it wasn`t a single history, rather several that intersected at some point, with sometimes the main character of one is a boss or a partner you meet etc

A recurrent theme was fighting dragons, they were always different, traditional ones, several heads, snake like shaped etc, the fights weren`t turn based, they were similar too Tales of Symphonia series, or at least that`s how I remember

It had a very dark and gloomy atmosphere, I am almost sure it was a ps one game, but I am not certain about it

It isn`t any of the more mainstream titles or google would`ve helped me by now

Will keep posting porn for your trouble

fuck forgot to spoiler

Bit confused since you brought up PCSX2, are you trying to say it was PS1 or PS2?

Well, from what I recall, there weren't a whole lot of multidisc PS2 games, at least ones with content for the same game on both discs (in many cases the second disc was just a demo disc). If you're sure it had multiple discs of content, that might help narrow things down.

What sort of graphical style? Do you remember if it was 2D or 3D?

Also, was it in English?

this is fucking disgusting
fucking normalfags

NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Soul Calibur 2
Soul Calibur 3 (for the SRPG mode)

Bit sad the way things have turned out, given they only seem to like focusing on Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy related games (Kingdom Hearts, Bravely), Dragon Quest (mainly in Japan, anyhow), and western franchises they got from Eidos these days. Hell, they won't even put old stuff Enix published on the VC or PSN (which isn't to say there's not certain Square games they haven't put up or at least brought to the western VC or PSN, but Enix games really got the shaft). ActRaiser seems to have been the one exception.

bump

Really?
CAN ANYONE STOP THE MECHANICAL MAYHEM?

And I thought you guys are not plebians.

Neither Breath of Fire I or II were on the PS2 or PS2. BoF III and IV are at least on .

Fair enough. 3 and 4 can't be appreciated without appreciating 1 and 2 first though.

Am I the only person who's been playing video games since before there was even a choice in TV types that doesn't give a shit about emulating the CRT look? Play them on my TV, play them on an emulator, I don't care what they look like, I just play them.

No idea, but just follow the instructions in this thread and you can just play the PC version forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122505

Only, Kain moves a bit slower in the PC version for whatever reason, and the Spirit Forge and Blood Fountain voices lose that cool ethereal sound that they had in the PSX version. Kain does have a couple extra lines of dialogue at the beginning, but that's it. Not like it's worth playing the PC version for, I'm just saying. Load times are basically non-existent though.

Get it, but holy shit this game is the biggest pile of cheap ass bullshit ever. Think Thundercock, the fastest faggot in the world, cheap. Other than that, still bretty gud. Road Rash 3D was weird to say the least but I liked it. Never played Jailbreak though.

>tfw no more Road Rash

Really found Koudelka neat myself, but it's admittedly not for everyone. Still, it seems a shame that it got shat on as much as it was by critics back when it was current.

Try G-Police, it's pretty damned good.

no, the PS1 was the first console heavily advertised to normalfags through avenues like MTV

The NES was advertised as a toy in the west because of the console crash

Those are all the games i still remember after nearly 2 decades, so i guess they are the ones worth playing.

There's some Kickstarter game that's heavily inspired by RR that looks like it might turn out good. I highly doubt it will have anything like those FMV cutscenes and soundtrack which were fucking awesome though.

Holy fuck I remember hearing about Jumping Flash. Still haven't played it, but I heard that series was great. I just wonder why that series never got caught on, or died like rest of Sony's mascots.

ffffffuck you user, post sauce

Mi negro.

Shame about the endings, but fuck me I loved this game. I especially like that your armor changed when you got new weapons, head, torso, and leg pieces, leading to some funny mish-mash shit

Still need to give that a go sometime; heard pretty good things about it. Though I suppose the same could be said for most PS1 JRPGs. Main ones I've played thus far being Koudelka, Wild Arms 1 and 2, Tales of Phantasia PS1, and Tales of Eternia.

faget

TEAM BUDDIES
E
A
M

B
U
D
D
I
E
S

I've never actually had that big of a problem with the loading times in Blood Omen. They're certainly there but I never considered them debilitating or anything like that.

It's actually in my opinion the best Legacy of Kain game in the series solely because of how "complete" it feels. Everything about Blood Omen feels complete, from it's combat to it's world. No area felt lacking and no part of the story felt half baked.

My favorite aspect of the game was it's heavy focus on secret areas. And some of these blew my fucking mind when I replayed it.

For instance. In Coorhagen, at the end of the dungeon that exits the town. There's this odd room where you see some non-hostile ghosts and there's a simple switch puzzle to leave the area and the city itself and progress as normal

However. If you then flip all of the switches again in reverse. A hidden door opens and leads into a hidden dungeon where you learn the mind control spell. Which lets you take control of NPCs. That's just one hidden area of many.

This fucking blew my mind. It's very rare I encounter shit like that in a game. As much as I like Soul Reaver so much of that game feels incomplete. Like the human citadel was going to be a much bigger aspect of the game originally but now is just a random area you can discover and find a collectable inside. But has no actual purpose to it.

I tried getting the PC version working a few years back but it wasn't worth the hassle for me. I just emulate the PSX version since it was clearly the version the devs built the game around. At least til Blood Omnicide is finished, if it ever gets finished.

Well, I guess I'll try tossing an eboot of it on my PSP and see how it handles. I know with Koudelka it reduced loading down to somewhere between half or a fourth of what it was from the discs themselves.

bump

Here's the full version.

I alway preferred the PS2-games over the PS1.

I fucking love the realistic momentum
Trading height for speed
its fucking amazing

I played the first disc with the translation and chose whatever on the second.
I fucking know how to blow stuff up in moonrune. It isn't godsdamn planescape torment
I also had a gamefaqs translation for mission objectives.

Top game.
Do any of the others, even ps2, have that momentum system?
preferably ones that run on pcsx2.

Songi is great, i just wanted to find imaged of the MCs wearing different armor to illustrate my point

The game looks likable but the controls aren't very good.

bump

am i the only one here posting games?

At this point, probably just one of a few.

I know Langrisser IV has been fan translated, but is V still moon only? And if so, why hasn't anyone picked that up to translate?

So why didn't you post one?

Why do people put up with controllers in non-hack and slash games?

Weren't the Ghost in the Shell games on PS1 and 2 actually good?

bump

I just bought Suikoden II for my Vita since it was only $3. I adored the first one as a kid, but played it recently and didn't like it nearly as much. Hopefully the second game is enjoyable.

*more enjoyable

All of these are good games

Still missing Shadow Gunner, Crash Bandicoot 1 and Medievil 2

These gems

MediEvil 2 wasn't as good though

Spyro (all)
Crash (all, tho Crash Bash wasn't 100% finished, everything after the N.Oxide encounter was next to impossible to complete due to broken AI)
MediEvil
Oddworld (Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus)
Rayman
Pandemonium (only the first one, the second was boring as fuck and didn't feature ex. shapeshifting levels; its PC version is on GOG but stay away from it since some of the music is missing and misplaced)
Toy Story 2 Buzz to the Rescue (yes, it's actually a ""great"" game derived from a movie)
Croc
Harry Potter (played only the first one)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2/3
Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX
GTA2
Driver 2 because exploration (remember the secret underground unique car in the Havana level?)
Tank Racer (tho it's mostly nostalgia, but it was fun and I still have a CD of it)
And probably quite a few more I forgot.

Yeah it was good but there were only 3 platformer levels - the starter, the centaur forest and the city. The rest were not-so-great runners and shitty boss fights.

Some suggestions for Racing:
Rollcage 2
Destruction Derby 2
Speed Freaks/Speed Punks

Has hell frozen over?

I'll see about adding them whenever I get around to updating it. Might also throw Hot Wheels Turbo Racing on there if people want it added.

While OP did mention both PS1 and PS2, this has become a mostly PS1 thread for better or worse.

Came here to post this. Game is clearly unfinished, though, the story has a bunch of hooks that never go anywhere, like Grissom.

Apparently, it was too big for the hardware limits of the PS1. I'd look forward to a remake, but I doubt today's SE can recapture the feel without fucking something up.

Yeah, definitely why I wouldn't be too enthused if Square-Enix were to announce a remake of something like Xenogears.

By todays standards, 80% of them.

there is still enough room for comments. I guess there is already enough ps1, let's see what we can find on ps2.

Should mention that I've been meaning to also do an update on that PS2 one as well. Been about six months since the last one at this point.

Can post potential additions in a few.

The ps2 might have the best number of games on any console in history due to having an insanely huge library and being around for gamings peak.

There is a reason why the PS2 was one of the last great gaming consoles.

>One of the consoles exploded into popularity due to having cutting edge technology DVDs for pretty cheap that people who don't even play fucking games want

Throw in the fact that the middle ground has almost completely dissolved (devs are either AAA or indie), AAA game budgets are so big they will never take risks and most indie devs are SJW faggots who don't even play games, you basically have todays game industry.

Admittedly one does have to keep in mind that the system did see a lot of shovelware as any popular system is apt to, but yeah, it still has a lot of worthwhile stuff on it.

Okay, so thus far, I've got the following as potential additions based on what anons have said since the last version:
Potential Additions:

Also expanded notes section elaborating on various games, as well as mentioning HD rereleases, as well as making the AT2 note more up-to-date as it's now on Beta 4.

Been considering what to do about the multiplat games. Personally I'd like to leave them up as an example of what the PS2 saw as far as options go and maybe list in the note section that in a number of cases the Gamecube, Xbox, and/or PC versions might be better, but I know some anons are adamant that they all need to be culled from it (which would make for a problem with some PS2 essentials, like MGS2, as Substance is also on the Xbox).

SOME RANDOM TEXT IN RED
8ch.net/vr/res/3606.html

solatorobo was boring as shit, only reason to play it was because of the furry girls

Definately. Still a bad game then is a good game now

Cyber Chase isn't very good, play it again.

PS1:
Bloody Roar
Rollcage
Tomba
Kula World
Ghost in the Shell
The Unholy War
Team Buddies
Wipeout 2097
Star Gladiator
Moto Racer
Speed Punks
Mr Driller
Vib Ribbon
Blitter Boy

PS2:
Time Splitters 2
Soul Calibur 3
Graffiti Kingdom
Odin Sphere

there's really popular ones that i haven't mentioned, and my PS2 list is short because i spent most of that time playing games on PC.

I can't decide between the PS1 or the SNES on what has the better library overall.

But the PS1 is either the first or the second greatest library of games of all time. Maybe even for the future consoles too.

PS1: Tenchu 1, Nightmare Creatures, Crash 1,2 3 and Spyro 1,2 and 3.

PS2: Burnout 3, Champions of Norrath 1 and 2, RE4, God of War.

I played the shit out of the demo for that when I was younger.

nigger farting all the way to the moon is more realistic than thps

that's because you're between underage hipsters user. Not having to play on a shitty CRT and being able to apply filters to improve image quality is a godsend

Bushido Blade is fucking GOAT. Nothing else like it before or sense. They attempted a sort-of spiritual successor series with Kengo but it lacked the same kind of budget and the fighting was much more stiff and boring.

There's FFVIII and FFIX for 60 in a nearby retail store, should I go for them ?
Also, no mention of jade cocoon and ronin blade ? for shame

That's way too fucking much. Where I live you could probably get use preowned and complete for about $25-30 total. Seen them for about $12-15 each.

I just tried both J and PAL versions in ePSXE and can't get it going. It starts up fine but once I select Play it hits a loading screen and then freezes the program.

By the gods you fags will be smote

Bump for more ps2

Hello?

I sold my discs for 7 bucks and every time I think of it i get a feeling of dread

I've been doing a bit of looking into playing PS1 games on the original hardware. It's interesting seeing how many games used a dithering overlay as a way to smooth images, it looks like they did so intending people to play with composite video as it blurs the image meaningfully enough to produce a better picture.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I'm big on RGB but it seems like composite is the way to go with PS1. It's a lot of Konami games, Silent Hill and MGS are immediately obvious.

Sometimes It's better to just let a thread die off if no one's posting anymore and wait for the next one.

Is Legend of Dragoon even that good? Generally heard rather hit or miss things about it (which certainly hasn't kept me from finding various games enjoyable).

Does surprise me that, at least where I live, it still goes for like $30 preowned, despite having both a regular and Greatest Hits print. I suppose it's got demand, at least.

Don't really know how to answer without sounding like a biosd faggot but its a a rpg with good story telling and some decent characters. What got me the most was the way you progress through the game and the neat levels and the combat was good fun

The main complaints I've heard in the past were in regards to the translation and (I think) slowdown issues. Do those actually come off as big enough issues?

I don't remember slowdowns but there were probably some fuckups on the translation cus I remember some phrases being off

For the sake of comparison, we talking Wild Arms 1 or 2 level of translation, or BoF II-tier poor translation?

Never played either of those but I think your being over critical if your that curious play the game

it's ok. Not as bad as said. Great story that get a little bit dry over the time. Battle system is ok but you quikly become overpowerd.

It is worth to play.

I'm just saying I can still make out what the prior two were supposed to say (though some lines in WA2 require multiple readings to figure out at times), while the latter was so bad it got a fan retranslation.

I suppose I might have to give it a play in the future. Thanks.

Come on mate, theres a shit tonne of good PS1 games and you recommend that shit?

BRAHMA Force: The Assault on Beltlogger 9

I mean id replace it for the vanilla version, but some genuinely prefer IZJS

Maybe replace it but make a mention of it in the Notes section as an option then?