Weekly Sunday Horror Games Thread

Because why the fuck not

>Any recommendations for stuff during the Steam Sales or for the pirates?

I downloaded Nanashi no Game and it's sequel this morning to play later. I have seen nothing of this game other than the recommendation of the OP of the last horror thread.
I'll probably set up my ps2 later today to get through SH1 or 3. I stopped last year because it was too stressful to keep playing.

Thanks for reading my blog

Is it even possible to play Nanashi no Game on anything other than a DS? From what I've seen on it, the touchscreen seems to be vital.

I'm autistic about emulating, so I bought an R4 to pirate games on. I tested it and translated Jap games work just fine, I've actually played through Jump Ultimate Stars and Love Plus in english on my DS

Also: How low-polygon can you go?

My nig. I thought no one else but me had played that game here

Is it just me or do FPS and TPS horror games with an over-the-shoulder camera lack the feeling of suspense of helplessnes that games with a fixed camera and tank controls deliver?

I think FPS are a bit different as they make it feel like it's you doing the actions. They can replicate the same sluggishness of tank controls by limiting movement, but it often just makes playing it from that perspective more frustrating imo.
Over-the-shoulder TPS are the least spooky though

Replayed RE0 HD over the weekend. Downloading RE4's PC version now, I had only ever played the Gamecube version and didn't really care for it.

Looking forward to the next Zero Escape game, which will hopefully bring back the horror vibe from the first game.

I think a traditional freely-controlled third-person camera is just visually boring, especially for horror games. The Silent Hill trilogy makes very good use of a fixed camera with some degree of flexibility, both to keep the visuals fresh and for some practical benefits too, like indicating the direction you're supposed to go or highlighting important objects in the room.

is that kojima?

Unlikely. Then again, you could always ask the developer.

Imho it's just the lack of direct controls. Having to escape a monster is scary enough as it is, but having to escape a monster while your character moves with the grace of a morbidly obese hippo gives you that little extra thrill

Got god knows how much games from sales recently, like REmake, Dying Light though it doesn't really get to the horror part until after dark, Dreadout, Alien Isolation, Call of Cthulu, and Evil Within.
Outlast. I like the atmosphere at the start, but then it completely shits itself because it cares more about jumpscares than it does trying to genuinely freak you out with its creepy atmosphere. Suddenly reminded about why I was so skeptical about it to begin with.
>Any recommendations for stuff during the Steam Sales or for the pirates?
GoG only or only through emulation, though I recommend giving this game called D a playthrough. Sort of a Myst-style game with it's most interesting design choice being that you need to complete the game in 2 hours, no saving or pausing. Worth playing to examine an artifact from 1995

Playing Dead Space at the moment. Shit, say what you will about WA, but the sound direction is top notch. I'm playing with headphones and it's so fucking intense with shit rattling around.

That's EA. Fucking autocorrect.

For an EA title, Dead Space actually is quite decent. The ammo drop system is fairly annoying, but I really like the idea that you're traveling around the ship and trying your worst to keep the damn turd flying - all while the Necromorphs are trying to bite your face off.

Franbow is pretty great. I like that you put a picture from it into the OP.

Nice to see, don't know how many people will appreciate the reference

Dunno. Personally, I think the fairy-tale section in the mid-game absolutely killed any and all suspense the game tried to build up.

Also, the identity of the murderer was fairly obvious.

Also, how do you contact Mark directly? I think pic related would be fairly neat for the banner rotation.

under markm477 on the more gayer steam or his cancerous twitter or the more shittier discord and mumble he owns that no one visits

CHAOS COMETH

NAY

God forbid people have regular email accounts nowadays.

I think if the fairytale section wasn't in there I wouldn't like it as well, it was a complete surprise and an even more disturbing backdrop for some of the shock gore, like the Neverending Story creature showing up as a bloody corpse in one flash.

Shake a bag of shekels and he'll come running

Guess it's just a personal opinion. Still, I previously only knew Fran Bow via the Demo, and the entire fairyland thingie was a huge letdown for me. It did not at all fit in with the rest of the games chapters (even considering the airship of old skellyton).

i miss those rpg maker horror games with cool effects

There's still plenty of them around, though. Seriously, just go to any 200X RPG Maker community sites and you have scores of horror games.