Nintendo Thread

So, i recently finished playing through Mother 3 (amazing game btw, if you like RPGs i implore you to play this one and tell me what you think of it) and it got me thinking…. did nintendo ever surpass it? Is any of the staff that worked on nintendos greatest hits (whatever you may consider nintendos greatest hits) still there? how can nintendo return to being anything else than a hollow shell of themselves? i mean sure, there was splatoon, the second Luigis Mansion, the upcoming zelda… will nintendo ever return to their past glory?

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ql7aazpqb-A
youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7WxSeGYB4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCe06l6rUg
portalroms.com/en/isos/wii-u
github.com/dimok789/loadiine_gx2/releases
loadiine.ovh
gbatemp.net/threads/diy-amiibo-cards.406978/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really, REALLY hope you never reproduce.

MOTHER 3 was good because Shigesato Itoi was completely at charge and he is a big idea man. Simple as that.

I really hope Nintendo goes bankrupt and reduced to third party status soon so they can just develop for PC and avoid being a disgrace for so long

>>9835827

really? got any sources for me to read?

Go to earthboundcentral.com and read some of the interviews with Itoi that mato translated. He is also the guy responsible for the Mother 3 translation and Mother 1s retranslation.

too bad it will never get any way to financially support it in the west and I can say anything about how I want another or at least elements from them in newer games.

Why do you want more of it? Why not simply let it rest, this "want more sequels" attitude is what ended up killing Metal Gear. Just let it end on a high note if you like it so much.

thanks, dude

Because gameplay-wise it has genuinely good elements that could freshen up the genre, and it proves that you can have skill based elements in turn based rpgs.

I means shit dude, this is part of the reason the Mario and luigi series and paper mario series are good.
And that game with goats but I'm not actually going to say it because it will piss off autismo gigante.
Or I think there was another game made in game maker that shared the Hit enemies to the rhythm of the music playing to deal additional damage.

It's a good mechanic for gameplay.

IT'S OKAY WHEN

I haven't seen Poopy Joe in some time, coast seems clear.

kys

shmups for dodging in an rpg is a good idea.
I'm not saying shmups as a concept themselves are a good idea.

Or that the concept of a shmup is being pioneered.

That's like mixing puzzle and action.
Mixing shit up is not innovative.

It's novel and entertaining.

It gets old after 3 combats.
The mechanics are also too simple.
There is either attack or repeat the same action over and over.
If you find this entertaining you have the mind of a child.

I'm not saying it's perfectly executed in undertale, I'm saying, strictly as a gameplay mechanic it can be entertaining when combined with other elements from the Turn based subset RPG genre.

And not something meaningless to add fluff, like adding a leveling system to a game in any other genre and having the parameters for a characters typical actions being slightly incremented per time of gameplay or actions done.

Who

Fag.

That's precisely what I am saying, and gating off an area because you are 10% bullet damage and health too low, regardless of your ability is shit game design And is the design philosophy for Borderlands 2 to make the game feel longer than it actually is

If you have to grind for such a little difference you are probably a nigger that doesn't know how to RPG.

Einhander already did it

And that's a good game thanks for telling me about it!

I'm curious about the shoulder scroll wheel patent. I wonder if the shoulder scroll wheels would be useful for let's say an F-Zero game like for manually leaning and stuff.

It's hard to say because there's a shit ton of people who work on a game. Nintendo itself isn't some monolithic company when it comes to making games. It's actually made up of a bunch of different subsidiaries, like Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and the new Donkey Kong Country games) and Monolith (Xendoblade). There's a hand full of other divisions that are located across the world.

Mother 3 was partly done by Brownie Brown, which was made up of a bunch of ex Square employees who had worked on stuff like Secret of Mana. They also did Magical Starsign for the DS, which was a great little RPG that's been mostly forgotten. They're now called 1-Up Studios and seem to help out on titles like Mario 3D World and Captain Toad. They sadly don't do RPGs anymore.

Mother 3 was also developed by HAL, who made all 3 Mother games, but who we all know for Kirby and Smash Bros. HAL, while certainly closely affiliated with Nintendo, isn't actually a part of them. This might explain why they generally have such a strong output of games, with Kirby being a series that's pretty damn consistent in quality.

Intelligent Systems is another closely affiliated company, that isn't actually owned by the big N. They do stuff like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and Paper Mario. Their games have unfortunately started to go downhill within the last couple years.

There's also commonly games that will be done by outside studios. Luigi's Mansion 2 and Punch Out Wii, for instance, were not developed by Nintendo, but by Next Level games up in Canada. In cases like that, the development is watched over by Nintendo SPD, who generally co-develops games with non Nintendo studios.

Then there's Nintendo EAD, which is generally what people think of when they think of Nintendo. They do most of the big titles. Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Star Fox. It's split up into 7 or so divisions, each generally specifying in a different series.

Probably not anytime soon. The industry has changed and I think Nintendo is unsure of it's place. I'm interested in where they go with the NX and to see if they learned anything from the Wii U.

I wonder which of these studios would be tasked with Nintendo's multi-media plans. Nintendo did express interest into making movies I think.

Bumping this thread with some actual vidya.

Product Number 03 [P.N. 03]
P.N. 03 is a third person shooter and one of the Capcom Five, which was the name given to a series of five games that were negotiated as exclusive titles between Nintendo and Capcom and that promised to give the GameCube some much needed third party support. The other games were RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Killer7, and the cancelled Dead Phoenix. This game was a financial failure and critically panned by various journalist outlets. Shinji Mikami of Resident Evil fame directed this game but, due to time constraints, was unable to incorporate all of the features he wanted, like a variety of armaments.

PLOT
Vanessa Z. Schneider is a mercenary for hire who is contacted by a faceless individual who requests that she infiltrate an abandoned military complex that has been taken over by CAMS (Computerized Armament Management System) that has gone rogue. That's really about it. The game features a few text based exchanges between the main character and her employer, as well as a few cut scenes that introduce bosses, but it's pretty light on story aside from that brief explanation.

GAMEPLAY
This game is a third person shooter, and your primary objective is to kill as many enemies as you can while traversing a series of rooms before fighting a boss or going through some plot point. There are two modes of play; You can play the main story missions and engage in trials. When you complete a story mission, a series of five trials will become available. These trials will randomly select rooms based on the main mission you've just completed, and throw you in them with the objective of making it out alive. You run from room to room and exterminate all foes. When you complete a mission or trial, you are given credits which you can use to purchase upgrades for your aegis suit or new suits as they become available, as well as continues. The camera control is quite poor in this game. You may use the C stick to switch between fixed camera angles, but there is not much reason to do so because the camera will constantly adjust itself so that it is positioned directly behind your character. You cannot shoot while moving, but you can dodge and duck in order to move out of harm's way.

Some aegis suits will allow you hold down the A button to continuously shoot (automatic mode), while some will require that you continuously button mash. Vanessa can acquire a number of different cybernetic exoskeleton suits that offer various degrees of attack power and damage resistance, as well as special abilities that can be activated by pressing a D-pad combination alongside your normal palm shot. Each suit will have strengths and weaknesses, but there are generally three types of suits: offensive, defensive, and balanced suits. Offensive suits offer high damage output but low defense, defensive suits are the opposite, and you can guess what balanced suits are made to do. Some levels are much longer than others and will throw a combination of hard hitting enemies at you, so perhaps there is some benefit to using a defensive suit as opposed to an offensive one, if you have trouble with the control scheme, but as far as I can tell you're better off simply learning enemy movesets and dodging while you button mash your way to victory. The special abilities are the only other reason you'll choose one suit over another anyway, so I don't think it matters all that much after you learn how to handle all the enemies.

ATMOSPHERE
The environments are extremely repetitive. They're all comprised of this very generic, clean looking, cybernetic and futuristic aesthetic that is quite bland but is at least easy on the eyes. Additionally, the music is very simple, but catchy, and it fits the theme appropriately, but may be grating, depending on your tolerance for listening to a single track repeatedly, after a great deal of time spent in trials that use the same stage music. The character and enemy designs are sleek and stylish, and the color scheme all fits well together, but it all seems quite basic and generic. You can really tell that this game was rushed and incomplete, but the core gameplay is decent enough that I think I can overlook such issues.

'IN SUMMARY
I like this game. I think it's a simple to pick up and place shooter that takes the RE4 tank controls and applies them to faster paced combat scenarios, and that's definitely something I can get behind. It's not nearly as technically impressive as RE4 in terms of combat, but it's fun to look at and fun to play in short bursts. Check this game out if you're looking for something to play.

They'll probably just create a new division. They said they would be animated movies, so they might also work with established anime studios like they did with the Star Fox and Kid Icarus animated shorts.

You forgot about the game's best aspect.

Oh yeah, and Not Jill has a great ass.

It would be cool.

If the NX uses cartridges, I think this size is good.

After the SMB movie I think Nintendo wants to do everything internally if they can. Though personally I would love to see Nintendo contract Studio Ghibli to animate a Legend of Zelda film. Then again I'm not sure how Ghibli's been doing lately.

There's also Level5 as another animation studio choice. They're not owned by Nintendo but they did make the Professor Layton games and LBX.

Yeah, about cartridges…

So far the only benefit I can see with cartridges is if Nintendo allows system and game updates to be stored with save data on disc. That way you can update your friend's NX or game in offline mode for better or worse. Then again a USB thumb drive could work just as well.

Now if the cartridges have solid state R/W speeds and can hold 60-120 gigabytes worth of data I can see potential with MMOs for downloading all of the expansions on cartridge like its own hard drive. Player data would be stored on server. So I don't see cartridges holding personal info.

At the same time I'm unsure of the potential security risks with downloading expansions to cartridge.

Games are still going to need a huge amount of RAM to load and unload all of the assets and programs needed to run the game without load times. And Nintendo will need a better processor than what they have been using to do that.

THE TRIPS OF MAN HAS SPOKEN

Why 32768hz nintendo? WHY?

No, they won't.
First, Anything with 1 Ghz can handle transfer rates of 2-4GB/s, which is a LOT faster than your 40MB/s a flash memory deliver.
Even if nintendo use a quad SD card setup with 120MB/s of transfer rate, still not even close.

And secondly, pretty much all nintendo systems since the snes have a DMA engine, that allows em to copy data between memory storages etc a LOT faster than the CPU can handle, and doing that while the CPU still process away*

*except on GBA and snes systems, because on those the bus is shared and they have to halt the CPU while working

So how fast do you expect cartridge read and write speeds is going to be then? I'm including write speed in case cartridges are used to store game updates and DLC.

I have no fucking clue.
Knowing nintendo, they will go for the cheapest solution available, which gives you 40MB/s write, 30MB/s read.
That's around twice as fast as the current gen console bluray drives.
But they could do better by using multiple cheap chips in parallel given the bigger case their cartridges usually have.
If they use two chips in parallel, getting around 80MB/s, its enough to fill the whole system memory in a minute and half, which would make viable to run AAA games without actually installing.

Back when he was still alive, Jim Henson would have made a hell of a Zelda movie.

Instead of a cgi animated Starfox. I really want a Starfox with Jim Henson puppets. Starfox has always been campy to me. I think muppet style puppets could pull it off.

ayo hol up

what if the nx thingy is just a handheld that can also plug into a TV. They've already managed to murder any expectation of good graphics so that would not be an obstacle and modern mobile chips are very cheap and good. People would go nuts over it.

I mean, they did give us the Game Boy Player, and between that and Sony's VITA TV I do like playing some handheld games on the television

The Dark Crystal was shit. I'd honestly rather see it hand animated or with Weta handling the vfx with complete control over the vfx. I hope yall niggas saw Krampus.

yes please

The interest shown by third parties makes me think otherwise, but this would be a cool thing to see I guess.

This is a dream but I want Square Enix to license Geno to Treasure so they can make an open 2.5D side scrolling action game with a bit of puzzle platforming.

I bought a Wii U on impulse for $200 burgerbux on Ebay, brand new unused w/ Mario Kart pre-installed.
The thing is I was really buying it to play some couch co-ops with some friends I hadn't seen in a while and long story short, it didn't end up happening.
So now I'm stuck with a Wii U but I know the Wii U emulator is making big progress, and Nintendo games are FUCKING expensive.
Basically I have two options
or

The thing is, I'm a god damn miser - games on PC are cheap as shit (if not free) and paying 40+ dollars for a game I might not even like is not something I expect to do; BUT, I am interested in a handful of games on the console.

advice pls

(Checked)

gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/

You're welcome

More:

Tutorial (a three-parter, but essential to understand):
Part 1 (In case you get the games on .wud format): youtube.com/watch?v=Ql7aazpqb-A
Part 2 (Prep the SD Card): youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7WxSeGYB4
Part 3 (In case you wanna update your game): youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCe06l6rUg

Essential links:

Games (they're on torrent): portalroms.com/en/isos/wii-u
Loadiine (get the latest build): github.com/dimok789/loadiine_gx2/releases

On your Wii U browser, type and bookmark: loadiine.ovh and run The Homebrew Launcher RC3

Shit, forgot to add:

On your Wii U, go and manually add your internet connection with the following DNS:

They block any updates from downloading

This is basically the best possible use of your WiiU, you'll easily get $200 worth of entertainment out of it.

bought one, got it today.
gonna see if the games are gonna be gud, even tough I hate the amiboo shit but whatever.

gbatemp.net/threads/diy-amiibo-cards.406978/

The part about the picture, printer, etc. is optional IMO

fact: children enjoy life and especially video games more
your spirit is dying and it shows in your posts

Nice numbers. Sorry about the friends thing user.

Yeah that's a smart choice for a Japanese company. Also who the fuck develops for a single platform anymore, least of all PC?

I just saw "When Marnie Was There" last night. Good movie, but it had me rolling all over the floor crying.

Also, don't be fooled by some of the scenes. I had honestly thought Ghibli went full Tumblr until the movie got toward the end. Its one of those movies you gotta watch twice to make full sense of it.

Can you tell me how similar #FE is to persona?

I want to play if its very persona like

Nice job supporting censorship cancer, idiot.

Question:

How many of you still want a Mother 3 official translation?

The other guys have mentioned Wii U hacking, but there's also a way to hack the Wii U's Wii mode. It uses a modified version of Smashstack, so you'll need to get a copy of Brawl from somewhere. Once you do it you can do everything you can do with a hacked Wii, including playing Gamecube games. Then again you could just get a modded Wii for cheaper.

As for vidya, if you don't have a list to pirate and try yet here's a few:
>Bayonetta has extra costumes compared to the 360
>New Super Mario Bros U & Super Luigi U Both come on the same disk in some versions, get that one for convenience
>Sm4sh Sm4sh minus when
>Sonic Lost World not as bad as people say
>Xenoblade Chronicles X with a translation patch
>Devil's Third Not that good, but still fun enough

And if you find someone to play with you:
>Nintendoland Has a really fucking good Metroid game
>Game & Wario Alcohol + pictionary is too much fun

No, its shit. Buggy, unfinished shit. I already hate Sonic enough as it is, but Lost World was fucking terrible.

A friend gave it to me for free saying it was shit but I didn't listen.

Traded it in for Yoshi's Woolly World. Its like Mario-Metroid with a woolly aesthetic.

Also
Its like you just hate comfy.

Me and my gay roomate.

That reminds me of the time someone looked up who worked on Mario 64 or OoT or something and found out that basically everyone credited still works at Nintendo.

Why not just play the unofficial version? It's more faithful than the official one will ever be.

In addition to

>Wind Waker HD if you don't own the original
>Twilight Princess HD ditto
>Kirby's Rainbow Curse if you have friends to play with
>Star Fox Zero Guard is optional

I'm sorry, but you triggered my autism buying localized #FE. I'm sad now.

Seven years ago I would have asked for one. Now, I'd rather see NoA lose publishing rights and just become lawyers and marketers for global Nintendo.

I need to catch up with my Ghibli films. I kinda stopped after Tales of Earthsea.

(check'd)
If you can hack your Wii U and look for Japanese exclusives as well. I plan to hack mine once Nintendo kills Wii U support when NX is out.

Debating whether or not to get an NX until it's officially announced.

It's not a good idea. Mixing shmups and RPG is retarded in the same way mixing ice cream and steak is retarded. They don't fucking mix. Undertale is fucking cancer.

???

Oh great, that's so awesome Nintendo, make another embarrassing fucking gimmick controller that everyone will laugh at you for, you fucking cucks. You've already added memes in your shitty weeb RPG series, maybe you can take the cancer a step further and incorporate memes into the controller! Now that would be a good example of that classic Nintendo Innovation (TM)! Nintendo will go bankrupt and I'll laugh. They deserve it.

That's not the only patent they have.

That seems like a neat idea, but it would be easy to lose the modules on a handheld.

I've always wondered if having a touch-sensitive surface made of little buttons with pixels on them, with the ability to move up or down, would work. The game would be able to "draw" the buttons you need to play, and you'd get tactile feedback. Kinda like the steam controller if it's touchpads could raise out and form buttons.

Yeah Nintendo, everyone wants a handheld that requires small parts to be interchanged for every other game you play. That's not fucking obnoxious, no! And for all that is holy, definitely DON'T just FUCKING add a second analog stick to the pre-existing layout and update the screen resolution. That would be smart, and smart is not what Nintendo does. Make your next handheld a fucking lego set. The lego motif even works with your stupid Amiibo system, so knock yourselves out.