So what is wrong?

What exactly is wrong with the latest Doom?
Its a far fucking better Doom game than Doom 3 ever was (what the fuck were they thinking?).

Why were people bitching and complaining about this game before it even came out?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/379720/
openmw.org/faq/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dubs

What do you expect from Holla Forums?
If there's a bandwagon they're gonna jump on it.

I just wish it was torrentable so people wouldn't shit so hard on it for no reason.

Doom 3 was better you are just a faggotm

There's no crack for it yet?

Not that I know, game didn't get much attention on pc.

The main reason why I complained before it came out was because it just looked slow, and the gory kills seem to disrupt combat.

Granted it seems decent besides multiplayer but I dont want to pay even $45 in my region yet.

No it wasn't.

At least Doom 4 was more doom than 3 was.

Sage dubspam the thread etc but I actually genuinely want to know what is wrong with this.

Nobody should pay the kind of money they're asking honestly.
They also really fucked themselves by pushing such a fast fps to the console crowd and completely ignoring pc. Just really dumb marketing.

It is. Just for this game it is.

Checked

They should just buy it.
They can refund it if it's really shit.
store.steampowered.com/app/379720/
40% Off
It has 91% positive reviews.

They look so good they never get old.

Doom 3 tried to do some spooky monsters in the dark jump scare survival horror bullshit that is a far departure from the original Doom games. Far more than this installment ever was.

yeah, i'm starting to get the feeling that the biggest reason why Holla Forums here shits on things is because they can't pirate the fucking thing.
Would explain the extreme distaste for multiplayer heavy games too.

Looked slow? See I don't understand that unless someone was holding down the walk button. This is the fastest playing single player FPS I've played in a long while.
Gory kills are not needed to be done and you can argue that doing so puts you at risk just to get some health/ammo.

what do you mean?
I have this on the PC currently. Plays wonderfully.

repeat this for every sequel or series ever and you have Holla Forums.

Why even come here, then?

Playing with all settings on high on a card that just barely goes above their "minimum" specs.

Meanwhile the likes of Mortal Kombat X can barely get 20 FPS with everything low and resolution down to 800x600.

Check em

Dude fuck that. I don't buy anything that isn't lower than 10$.

95% of the ads or gamplay they decided to show for the game was console footage. It was slow, they only showed people playing it with a controller and didn't show any PC footage until 3 days before release, when Nvidia released footage of a pro arena shooter player playing the game.

They alienated the PC crowd. I was interested in this and seeing the marketing for consoles completely put me off.

this is now a dubs thread.

Because it is still better than Neogaf or half chan Holla Forums.

Crackers have given up on Debuvo

I liked Doom 3's concept. Choosing between the flashlight and gun meant you had to think carefully on whether seeing or shooting was more important. The gunplay is kinda shit though, and it would have done better as it's own franchise.
As for Doom 4 if they removed the glory kills and made Snapmap not shit I'd be OK with it. In other words mods will fix it. I don't know if Denuvo stops mods.

I'm going to stick to the originals though. I'm a Linuxfag, so DOOM isn't even available for me. The originals have 20 years of mods, and they still get cool stuff. DOOM isn't going anywhere, so I'll get around to it when I'm good and ready.

*denuvo

Kill self.

I actually liked it up until it suddenly started running like absolute shit one day. I have no idea why, I don't even think it updated.

I would refute the OP, but the truth is – I just don't care anymore. I've played and beat NuDoom, already forgot about it, and am just waiting for fucking Serious Sam 4 now.

Did you try rolling back your drivers?

You mean
SERIOUS SAM VR

was it after you returned to mars from hell?
seems like a fuckload of particle effects or something happening after that. Maybe that's it?

This should be a bannable offense.

This is what it has come to

No, but I don't think they updated either. It's worth a shot though.

I had gotten to Lazarus labs and decided to quit one night. In a spot where it previously ran fine, it became a slideshow the next time I played. I don't even.

nudoom is on sale on steam right now so zenimax boys get overtime

Lost interest after playing the demo. It's serious sam 3 on a minor job.

FUCK OFF SHILL
everytime, I like how the 12 enemy limit is always ignored

It's a sub par shooter with the name of a beloved ip pasted over it.

Because he's deposited $0.20 per post trying to convince people to buy this disaster.

I will never understand why the enemy limit is a problem. It makes no difference whatsoever.

I wouldnt say its dumb, it just seemed like some features like Snapmap were gimped in an attempt to appeal to consoles which companies think are a large demographic for Doom apparently. Not that Doom didnt get a lot of ports, but I wonder why they thought it was smart, unless they want to slowly introduce people from modern shit back to a sort of more traditional format.

I also dont see why they charge full price when the multiplayer is weak, yet they think its enough for DLC maps.

In the first demo, it looked slow, no doubt because they do that shit where they dont play the game like a game, but they walk slow and slowly look around.

But I could also be jaded. Wolfenstein the new order was a pleasant surprise, but I doubt id had what it took to make a good Doom after Doom 3, Quake 4, and the scrapped Call of Doom.

What's the 12 enemy limit?

Look at this conspiracy theorist.
What's next?
Jews controlling the world?

Snapmap is absolute trash and ID should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't understand. I'd be happy to listen to why it's such a bad thing though, if you want to elaborate.

I have no idea what that limit is supposed to mean. Like they can't get more than 12 enemies on screen at once?
I guess that could be an issue but as soon as you kill one another one spawns up near immediately (until you've cleared the place).

1. It's not nearly as fast as it advertised itself as being. There are secrets in the classic doom levels that you can't even access because you're too slow.

2. Few monsters active at any one time. You're lucky if there's more than 12 or so enemies at the same time.

3. Level design is shit. It's all just bland corridors and arenas. No traps or ambushes like in the previous games (I admit 3 went too far with the monster closets).

4. My biggest problem. Snapmap is far, far too limited. It's completely arbitrary, too. I suppose that the limits on entities and map size are due to consoles. If I have a beefy enough rig I should be allowed to put as much shit in the map as I want. If I end up crashing the game then I'll just fuck with it until it works. But no, fuck map makers.

You're an idiot. Next you'll be saying that humans can't count beyond 12 anyways.

What are you going to be fast dodging, fleeing from to gain space and killing if the entire place is empty?

Let me explain why it's fucking stupid;

Doom 1 and its based Wads can feel really hectic and fast paced because the amount of enemies and their placement in the room. In Doom 4 you barely have to consider positioning because there's so little threat and so few enemies, you just walk in, shoot things once, melee execute, and you've already cleared the room.

But enemies respawn as soon as you kill them user, the place is full of enemies until you killed them all.

But you can't target more than 1 enemy at a time anyway.

Shut up shill

This is actually genius game design.

I see a bunch of stuff about snapmap

what is that? I haven't touched it. Been doing the campaign (just got back from hell at this point).
Is it a custom map option or something?

Let's not even mention the terrible map design, seriously not even a step ahead of Doom 3's dark tunnels.

Fuck off, the game is slow and glory kills ARE needed. You can play the original doom levels in this game but not get certain secrets because your character just moves too slow

I can understand the enemy placement argument, although they all have the same movement pattern and all move towards you anyways, which doesn't really matter most of the times.

What I don't understand is
Which in original doom is
There's no difference on that side.

Snapmap is the map-making component. Embed related.

Snapmap is the map-making component. Embed related.

What was the last fps that had a limit of enemies? L4D on consoles?

Just because it's not old Doom doesn't mean it's not fast.

People here make a lot of claims why it's supposed to be bad but no one can prove it.
Ignore those people and just buy it already!!!!

The video edition was fucking brilliant.

Try walking in on two barons, a revenant on a platform hidden up in the top right corner, three imps down the left side and a schaingunner miles away trying to hitscan snipe you - And try to "shoot things once".

Even a BFG shot won't outright kill a baron in one.

Which is the exact same in nuDoom, except now they actually have an AI and better pathfinding, which means they will flank and corner you.

Lmao fuck off

See?
People who don't like the new Doom don't have an actual argument.

You mean walk down the corridor and slowly die because the game was designed for consoles.

People should be free to talk about whatever they want. If that bothers you that much then maybe you should make a reddit board where you can censor people as much as you want.

Dont need no argument for that shit i tell you man. Just fuck off abd talk about it with people at halfchan or something

Except that in original doom enemies could surprise you. They could teleport into rooms you already cleared. Maybe a wall would open behind you and you would have to think fast.

Incorrect for both games, actually. Former humans would stand back and hit you with undodgeable hitscan attacks. Imps would hang back and throw fireballs. Pinkies would always get up in your face and deny you use of the rocket launcher. Enemies had a very well defined purpose.

In NuDoom. Former humans are the same as imps. Hell Razors are slightly different, but still hang back. Pinkies get in your face, same as Hell Knights and Barons. Cacos are most similar to OG doom, they just hang around and fly.

Enemies are mostly different in both games. They are a bit more similar in NuDoom, however.

No he's right. Imps can now climb columns and stick to them, giving them a high ground vantage point that you can't achieve while they lob fireballs at you.

Also because of the spawning, a section on an area you may have cleared could get an enemy to pop right back on it. Or they'll just move to that spot. The enemies are constantly moving around in this.

Good joke.

I've never seen a single enemy in Doom 4 execute any behaviour other than these two options: I stand here and shoot, or I run at you like the easiest enemy to combat in Doom 1.

Doom 4 doesn't even fucking have hitscan enemys, that is how fucking casual and unchallenging it is. In Doom 1 you have to actually think, whilst on-the-move, whilst surveying the whole room as quickly as possible to get an idea of the enemy count, and type, you're up against, and then prioritise hitscan enemies whilst dodging plasma and fireballs from multiple angles, circle strafing to dodge a slow heatseeking rocket, and trying not to get in melee range of a baron.

In doom 4 you walk in with your gun-of-preferrence, shoot twice, press E, and laugh as the game rewards you for that oh-so-difficult situation you were never in.

I'm not the only one who wants to talk about it.
There's also 5bdd50 and 43616c

Just look at his other posts man, guy is just fucking around. (((43616c))) however is an actual shill

Maybe you should try playing on something else than the lowest difficulty setting o getting farther into the game.

The start is pretty slow, but I can assure you it gets much harder.

Not to mention not all enemies die after two shots. You're generalizing a lot. It's like if I judged Doom by the human enemies that you find at the start that die in a few shots.

Barons are also considered a mini-boss, and are specifically bullet-spongey because their attacks are telegraphed to fuck and can be dodged with little effort so you can focus on the bigger threats. They're a bullet sponge on purpose, because sinking ammo into them instead of the real threats just makes you a fucking idiot when the chaingun guys come up from a hidden spot and riddle you with holes as you fumble with a pistol because you only have 40 bullets and a handful of shells left.

One is obviously an underage retard getting his kicks posting garbage, I wish I was that easily amused but sadly I'm out of weed for tests season and I'm not as retarded as that guy to be like that naturally.

The other just seems like another retard who is at least trying to put some effort, or maybe a shill, who knows he's pretty bad at it if someone is paying for that level of banter not my money anyway.

So Nightmare is the lowest difficulty setting?
So Doom 4 actually only has 2 difficulty settings. Easy and Slightly Less Easy?

Bethesda.

They had eyes.

That's why classic Doom and all the mods and open source editions of it are still fun to play today, it's OSU in FPS form, fast paced, twitch shooting action.
NuDoom is dumbed and slowed as hell down console garbage, plain and simple.

user I honestly doubt you've played past the first level that was made available to everyone. Doom wasn't hard on the first episode, neither is this.

The reason Holla Forums hates this game is because they can't steal it yet.

Literally doesn't add anything to the difficulty itself.

That vantage point does literally nothing. And doomguy can double jump anyway so high ground is no issue.

And? Enemies in OG Doom also moved around whenever they weren't attacking.

The funny thing is, I don't even think Doom 4 is a bad game. It's better than most of the trash that has come out lately. It's a step in the right direction. But why play it when I can play OG Doom with all it's plethora of mods and maps? Why shell out $60 when I can play a game with much more content that is much cheaper?

Also, diffculty settings! NuDoom just bumps up the health and damage of enemies. Doom does none of that shit. It increases monster numbers and you can make enemies be faster and more aggressive.

And OG Nightmare is infinitely more interesting than Ultra Nightmare.

Double Jump doesn't get you that high and really exists to extend a jump length. Lots of areas have secrets and stuff that need to be accessed through long jumps.

And no, I don't remember the enemies really moving all that much in the old dooms.
Maybe I just didn't get that far but I remember in doom 1 it was mostly pop into a room, kill them as they're mostly in their pre-defined positions, and then move on.

Hey now, they "re-discovered" ironman.
In 2016.

This.

The game is fantastic, it's the first game in a long time that had me grinning like a retard the entire time. Holla Forums just hates everything because this place is mostly try-hard edgelord faggots.

No, the game is not as fast as the original, but the original was basically a first person shmup.

You don't have to do the glory kills, but they're a lot of fun.

I'm the comic taken to the logical conclusion.

Usually even shit games have some kind of poorly executed innovative mechanic that makes it noteworthy, or at least something that makes it stand out. DOOM isn't exactly shit, it's just painfully average. The only noteworthy thing about DOOM is that it resembles the good ol' shooters, but it does barely anything to improve or innovate on the old school formula aside from adding staples of modern gaming such as RPG progression and console limitations affecting enemy counts.

If they just made an HD version of Doom with new levels, then it'd be somewhat okay, but in the end it'd just be a glorified expansion back. DOOM plays like an unholy mix of Quake and Painkiller, without the strengths of either. It doesn't have the mad level design of Quake or slaughterwad levels of enemies of Painkiller. So you end up with simplistic level design and largely simplistic enemy variety which in turn leads to a largely simplistic combat dynamic as enemy prioritization isn't that important. It's more about shoot 'n circlestrafe what's in front of you with the most damage dealing weapon. The verticality is nothing compared to Quake, as platforms to jump on dhring arenas are essentially a free get-out-of-jail cards since most enemies have little anti-air capabilities. No intelligent enemy placement, just do whatever.

So you're left with a retro-ish shooter which is barely any improvement over the original source. Yet it does not throw anything new in the mix which didn't automatically come with age, or even take advantage of the stronger technology. It is a Hollywood reboot in every sense of the word. Shadow Warrior, Hard Reset or SS3 had at least SOMETHING original going for them, DOOM only has RIP 'N TEARING which is executed even better by fucking Brutal Doom.

I cannot see what DOOM does that justifies buying it for 30+ shekels. OG Doom does nearly everything better and is FREE. No seriously, what does this new DOOM do better than other old school shooters? Ask yourself before buying DOOM, it's not like you are in a rush to play it.

Yea sure, it's FUN and better than most shit released today, but so are a zillion of other identical cheaper games. If DOOM did at least SOMETHING new like grappling hooks, then I could partly understand. If you think Glory Kills are hot shit, play Ninja Gaiden II instead and see how it executes Obliteration Techniques.

I bought Doom4 near launch because of extreme boredom and refunded it before my two hours were up.

The levels are linear as fuck, the game is 50% spam cinematic execute, and it's piss easy.

Even the power ups that I found turned the game into a big cutscene.

I think I would rather play Doom3 than Doom4

Cool meme, kiddo.

Bethesda did it really well.
First they released the mp "beta" and got all the old DooM players to review it negatively for the piece of shit that it was.

Then removed the beta and all the negative reviews, so that only bethdrones themselves were left, to rate the actual game on release date positive.

Well played, bethesda.
Well played, indeed.

What do you guys think of Wrack? It's pretty gud imo. Decent level design, proper guns, nice graphical style, fast paced. And a soundtrack by Bobby Prince.

If there is going to be a modding community for this, I hope someone takes it and turns it into a Total Recall game.

Or at least adds some Arnold noises, one liners, and such from that movie.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Huge fan of the classic Dooms here, and i love the new DOOM but.. Wrack? The story is more in your face than the new DOOM, Secrets are not even secrets, they're baby easy to find.

Of course, i didn't even go through half of the game before i gave up, it just didn't tick with me i guess?

Also, holy shit, that protip is so cringeful.

There was a demo and it was enough for me to know that the game is dangerously mediocre. Sure it's better than almost any FPS in the past decade other than UT4 and some realistic shooters, but it's not better than Quake 1 or DOOM1 in any way other than graphical fidelity and audio, I like the wobs so it serves no purpose. It has almost no mod support as well so it can never be saved.

Kill yourself faggot

It isn't nostalgic enough, we're also supposed to hate everything to do with Bethesda so that's how you keep up your Holla Forums cred.

There is no mod support so that isn't going to happen. Zionmax is only interested in content that can be played on the consoles, which would be Snapmap and its 12 demon limit. Denuvo also prevents any bruteforce mods,

Rite? Gonna pop some hours into FO4 now.

From what I have seen & heard the game relies on glory kills to such an extent that despite the glory kill animations not being very long the reliance on glory kills greatly increases the sheer abundance of glory kill animations & thus the pace of the game is slowed tremendously. The prevalent opinion is that basing the game around glory kills alone seems to ruin it as a doom successor. Enemies triggered into staggering around helplessly waiting to be glory killed is not doom-like.

Every fucking time .
It's as if you shills don't want to learn how we spot you.

staggering into a glory kill is not guaranteed though.
If i use the shotgun at point blank on the easy kill enemies they will simply die. Sometimes this happens with imps too.

Seems to be mostly a matter of getting to a certain health point and then no further.

The problem with nuDoom isn't that it's a bad game, because it's not. The problem is it's not fucking Doom, but some mix of Halo and Painkiller with melee finishers. Seriously you could call this game anything else and no would notice.

Do you have anything to back that bullshit up user?

Dont you know how to use Google

You do realise rocket launchers are a thing, right?

The human eye can't see more than 12 monsters. :^)

>>>/4chan/

because glorykills looked like they would completely kill the flow of the gameplay and they released a beta for the piss poor multiplayer before releasing the part of the game thats actualy pretty good.

checked. now fuck off.

Oh yeah you caught me.
I'm getting paid by the post by zennimax to advertise a game under the pretense of wanting to talk about it.
Yep. You found me out. In no way ever could someone actually like a video game that wasn't 20 years old on a video game dedicated image board.
Nope. No way no how.
Darn.
Foiled again.

You know, on a serious note though? If I was going to advertise a game to Holla Forums I would do it in a negative way. Shit, actually I wouldn't have to do it at all. Just have to make sure polygon or one of those other shit sites highlight some sort of thing in the game that could be taken as pandering to SJWs or some shit.

The autistic gamergays over here will then run back here with all this OMG SJWs bullshit and the thread will stay up on the first page for days while people happily circle jerk over how much SJWs are ruining everything.
If it wasn't for this happening for Uncharted 4, because you autistic faggots can't stand a fictional black chick beating up a fictional white guy, I wouldn't have ever fucking known they even WAS an Uncharted 4.
Shit, I didn't even know they made anything past Uncharted 2.
To top it all off, when going into the thread and asking about the game itself, I get the older games in the series recommended to me because they're at least better than "this new piece of trash."

So there you have it, Holla Forums.
Nobody needs to shill a game here because you'll find a way to do it to yourselves.

I mean I guess so, yeah.
But why would anybody give a shit about mutliplayer in a Doom game?

When I played the demo about 70% of the time enemies would go into the animation, and I refused to use glory kills which would mean I wasted quite a bit of ammo finishing them off, which meant that I had to use the infinite ammo pistol almost half the time even when I had the shotgun and machine gun.

Have you considered suicide yet? If not I'd just like to let you know that it's an option.

Because DOOM was made by the same guys that made Quake, which was the natural successor to DOOM and obviously has absurdly good multiplayer. Nudoom is far more similar to Quake anyways since it has 3D graphics with vertical movement and aiming as well as a soundtrack more about wobs than it is about metal. Only casuals care about superficial elements like the fact that you're fighting demons rather than whatever the fuck Quake enemies were supposed to be or the title of the game.

What's wrong with it? Well I'm no games critic, but I'd say not much. Maybe have a few more demons hanging around rather than rely on constant spawning in, a narrower margin between staggered and chunked for rarer glory kills (especially on the larger things), and maybe some earlier game bosses for extra variety.

I've read through a lot of complaints here of it being just mediocre, but it was seriously fun. I get it's about as simple as a shooter gets (get bigger shooty things as you get bigger monster things), but there were some really nice touches. The ammo system kept me from falling into the hoarder mentality and enjoying the new guns, the gun upgrades were a slight change in strategy rather than a big power boost, I liked that staying alive meant a more aggressive playstyle rather than defensive, and the level designs used the third dimension well.

It's a game that does its shit well.

Posting in shill thread.
OP, how about you get fuck out till "AAA game by jewthesda" gets cracked so people might try it without spending megadosh for most likely a shit game

the main fear was that the entire game would be casualized bullshit, and then they release a multiplayer before release that is the very definition of that.
it was save to assume the game would be shit at that point, but im happy it turned out alright.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you typed that under the unspoken assumption that no modern Doom game could replicate or improve on the experience of classic Doom multiplayer.

The problem is not the storymode but their focus on multiplayer
and also that shitty cliffhanger

No DOOM game that has zero mod support and absurd DRM could ever be considered alright. Then the game also has the stupid upgrade system and cutscene kills to top it off. It's a mediocre shooter and a terrible DOOM game.

I have never played Doom games for the multiplayer.
In fact, isn't the multiplayer doom a mod anyway?

I played the demo really wanting to like it, and it just did very little for me.

Unless my memory is really starting to go, the original Doom (fuck same-name reboots, by the way) had deathmatch and coop support. Maybe not in the original shareware release, though.

It was mostly implemented after release but I wouldn't call it a mod since ID was heavily involved. It wasn't amazing multiplayer but if it had vertical aiming and level design it would have been just as good as Quake 1's, and since nudoom has vertical aiming there is no excuse for why the multiplayer has to be so incredibly garbage.

Unreal Tournament 4 and Xonotic are the only good modern arena shooters.

New on the job?

Hey, its the truth of the matter.
But if it makes you feel better to think you're an actual advertising target. That advertisers actually give a shit about you as a demographic or this place in general, then whatever man.
Whatever makes you feel good.

Classic shill line.

Amazing.
Hey user, you are a faggot, look it up.

it's shit

are we still allowed to dump porn in these obvious shill threads?

The problem with NuDoom is really the name. It's a decent game, probably the best fps in the last 5 or so years. However it's not as good as the original Doom. By calling the game Doom people expect it to be as good as the original Doom, but it's not. If the game was called Doom 4 or Doom: subtitle people probably wouldn't complain as much.

This

The chainsaw is an extremely limited option. Its "Ammo" seems based around the type of monster you're fighting. So while you can use it to one-shot a Baron, it takes 5 "gas cans" for the ammo to do so.
It also exists to be an emergency ammo re-up so there is a sort of balance at play.
If you weren't upgrading your ammo capacity you may end up using it far too often and thus when you might really need the damn thing it won't be there for you. If you did upgrade your ammo capacity you would be hesitant to get close enough to use the thing since you have tons of weapons to fight ranged anyway.
The ammo pickup for the chainsaw is also generally very limited. Doesn't seem like it drops from anything and can only be picked up by finding it around in the environment.

As for the other shit? 2 seconds to look at a gun you just picked up? That's a cutscene?
Maybe I'm just biased because I often play lots of japanese games that can be very heavy on cutscenes for everything.
You ever try Final Fantasy XIII? Like really fucking try it?
Watching a two hour movie would be less of a cutscene than 2 hours of that fucking game.

3D/Modern Dooms are shit. They have no atmosphere, no soundtrack and suffer from the same thing Fighting Games did when they transitioned from 2D to 3D.

This is not spoonfeeding central leddit.

I'll agree a bit on the soundtrack part. I would like there to have been an option to turn on the old soundtrack.
And considering what they did with the game, its a surprise to me that it wasn't an option. There's so many little references to the old games and the shit surrounding the old games.

But whatever. Maybe couldn't license it or just didn't think of it.

This isn't a story heavy Japanese game, it's a DOOM game. I'll assume you've never played the original but there are zero cutscenes for anything, you just jump right into the game and start shooting demons, you move a lot faster, there's no cutscenes when you do melee attacks or open doors, and that mod support shit he talked about is absolutely the final nail in the coffin. Vanilla DOOM is pretty fun, but its mods (wads) make the game significantly better and they are the reason people consider it to be one of the best games of all time. Snapmap with a 12 demon limit and the inability to actually overhaul the systems or add new shit are why even if this game didn't have cutscene kills or denuvo I still wouldn't support it.

yes?

That's two seconds that I'd rather not spend, 2 seconds that weren't spent in previous games and 2 seconds that aren't even entertaining. It just sufficed to piss me off.

Not to mention the two longer cinematics that you also cannot skip. It's funny because in one of them doomguy gets angry and throws the screen because he gets tired of listening. If you think the character would be impatient, why would you think the player wouldn't feel the same way?

Everything about the game is slow, there's a cutscene to put on your armor, a cutscene to zoom in on the scary new enemy that you killed in the first hallway in the original Doom. Even the glory kills that you are required to do in order to conserve ammo and get health at mini cutscenes and in a game where I want to zoom around and shoot, they feel very sluggish and I just wish I could not do them, but even if you don't glory kill, enemies are designed to go into the glory kill state which means enemies that would have died in one shotgun blast in the original Doom will now take one shotgun blast to go into the glory kill state and one additional one to finish them off if you choose not to do the SICK AWESOME GORY MELEE FINISHER.

The weapons I used felt terrible. The pistol reminds me of the energy pistol from Halo, except that pistol was never designed to be fired rapid fire, it was always meant to be used in charge mode and then switched to another weapon. The shotgun has a range of about 5 feet. I didn't get to use any other weapons because it was the first level but I am not impressed.

The addition of verticality didn't impress me either, because it just added another tedious animation for climbing up a ledge that I had to deal with when I wanted to go fast.

Played it all the way through, so I may as well give my verdict.

It was fun, hella fun. I found myself decently engrossed and challenged, and I felt it was a worthwhile experience and worth the money (though I'm a wagecuck so I probably have a bit more money to throw around than a lot of Holla Forums, so 60 bucks is nothing).

The gunplay is tight, the mechanics are all there, and it gets really fun around the middle of the game, especially when you get to hell. All the weapons are fun to use to some degree, though you WILL find yourself using the Super Shotgun as your go-to pretty much all the time towards the end, especially if you upgrade it all the way, at which point using the regular shotgun just feels like a waste of your super shotty ammo. All the same, the campaign is nice, all the mechanics are good, the fights are interesting, and there's enough new stuff to spice it up along the way to keep you engrossed. It's a great vanilla experience.

BUT that's the problem. The Vanilla Single-player is great, but that's all the game has going for it. Multiplayer plays like a shittier Halo trying to pretend it's Unreal, and SnapMap is just fucking dumb. Lack of modding tools (or mod friendliness in general) is going to fucking KILL this game in the long run. It's really the biggest blunder of all, and for that reason it's a dissapointment. Snapmap is a joke of a replacement for real modding, and the longevity of this game is massively hamstrung by this design choice.

You can design an interesting fight around 12 enemies, and good, fun fights DO occur and often in Doom, but it is a limitation that doesn't need to exist. The single-player is well designed in spite of this limitation, but all the good design in the world is still just a crutch for a majorly busted feature.

Overall, the game is a solid 7/10, but that's just because it has a 8.5-9/10 Singleplayer to carry it.

Overall verdict: Wait until it's a bargain bin $20 game,, then buy for a good campaign before you lament on the all the squandered potential.

Of course it needs to exist, how would you run it on the consoles goy.

But they already have your money, who cares if the game lives even a few months. To them, the sooner multiplayer is dead the sooner they can stop maintaining servers.

stopped reading there. marketer detected

Or Unreal Tournament 4 and Xonotic if you count multiplayer shooters

I actually did play the originals. And yeah, you're right. The thing is, that's not what people expect or want from their games today.
And i'm not really one to give a shit about a game because of its mods.
If a game can only be the greatest ever because of its mods then it was a shitty lacking game to begin with.
I'm not saying the original doom is lacking or in any way shitty, but I just don't consider the modded versions when considering these.
Even skyrim and fallout 3 and 4 can be GOAT if you put enough fucking mods into them. It doesn't prove anything to me.

So i'm sorry, but compairsons to the way games were made 20+ years ago doesn't really make much sense to me. They're not entirely invalid but its such a small thing that it feels petty and nitpicky.

Maybe something was done between the demo and the release, having not played the demo, I can't verify what you say. All I'm saying is that I don't get any feeling of slowness from this shit nor do the cutscenes, however few, short, and far inbetween they are, don't really bother me.
Also, the ledge climbing and other stuff actually has in-game mechanics to it. You can upgrade yourself to climb faster, switch weapons faster, etc etc. Although to be honest, I've never had a problem with "climbing" a ledge too slow and being killed because of it. Whole thing goes by quick enough.

But hey, at least i'm getting what I wanted in my original post. People telling me why they didn't like it or didn't want to like it.
At this point I have to assume something happened between the demo and beta and the final release.

also, as an aside, if you start off in the higher difficulties (Nightmare and ultra nightmare) it seems to skip right past all that "custscene" setup stuff in the beginning. You start right out on mars with a shotgun (at least in ultra nightmare).

The story and cutscenes that provide it are so fucking bare bones too. Boils down to you need to stop some crazy bitch from letting all hell break loose forever and always. There's some shit about "The Doomslayer" which honestly sounds more like a joke, as most of the story does.

It's a good game but not a good fps.

I never liked the serious Sam games personally.

It's good, but as a shooter it's lacking. Too much focus on the melee while the guns all suck. Though the Melee is great.

Don't know much about those since I don't like multiplayer shooters, but I know it's definitely better than NuDoom multiplayer which is hot garbage.

1: the difference between skyrim and doom is doom had good base gameplay for the modding commuinty to build on. Mainly with maps, tons and tons of maps. But skyrim has such shit gameplay most of the mods are to fix said gameplay. Doom 1 can be considered good even with out maps, but skyrim can only be considered ok with extreme amounts of mods.
2: why are there upgrades to make anything in the game faster? Just that right there proved the game could have been faster by default, but the game locks it away. Why arent the upgraded speeds the base speeds?

If they could do it 20 years ago, why can't they do it now? Why should we settle for less just because it's been 20 years and "games aren't made that way anymore"?

How the fuck did you tards find this place?

I fucking hate this unspoken acceptance that any modern game will be made to be more cinematic and casual. Noone really said a word outside of Holla Forums when the Thief reboot had objective markers, a minimap, and contextual rope arrows because it was assumed that it would. Why do we accept the fact that after all of the amazing graphical innovations over the last two decades, modern gameplay is far more simplified and has less depth/fun.

As for the mod support, the point is that if TESVI shipped without mod support it would be a useless product. Bethesda games are shit by default other than Morrowind, but they are platforms for people to create some cool stuff. When you buy pirate one of them, you do so for the same reason you buy Garry's mod: for the mods. I'm not asking you to say that the game that the developers made would be inherently better if they added mod support, but it would have significantly more value to me as a consumer if it did, because someone would make an overhaul mod that makes it not shit. Since the game is shit relative to DOOM1/Quake and has no mod support, it has no value to me because I can just play old shit and their mods.

technically stripping the game of any and all cutscenes and story and the other elements are getting less.

I agree with point 1. Those games are garbage.
Point 2, however, there is clearly a game-play changing reason for it. But those things are already fast enough that I never felt like I needed to upgrade them. Kind of feels like they just needed to fill in some shit, honestly.

Plenty of people hated the Thief reboot outside of Holla Forums. Plenty of people hate the constant button prompts that modern games fill your screen with to remind you how and when to do an action.
What I am saying is that a 2 second cutscene for every hour or so of gameplay is a far better step in the right direciton than a five minute cutscene with QTE every 10 minutes of gameplay.

But whatever, its fun to me.

Because people expect to be AS good as the original, and they get dissapointed.

Personally i liked it a lot, the only really bad things about it is that bosses are too easy and the level design gets more linear towards the end, but overall i really enjoyed it.

It must be getting extremely low sales, despite all evidence.

I don't actually care that much about the cutscenes (though they are pointless, and should be skippable), I just find that whole line of reasoning to be retarded. Just a few years ago people were using that same reason to explain why all modern shooters had to have regenerating health and weapon limits.

Several reasons really.

1. The initial press for the game was centered around the multiplayer, the multiplayer is shit.

2. Denuvo, it hasn't been cracked yet so the piratefags can't play the game.

3. Snapmap is shit, give me wads.

4. Most people going off the very initial impressions way back in the day with the piss yellow filter and haven't looked at anything else.

5. Most people expected it to be EXACTLY like the old games, that's the core issue with beloved franchises with a rabid user base.

I enjoyed nuDoom very much but I can imagine a lot of reasons why our Holla Forums hates it, not that many of them are sensible but who gives a shit.

Basically.

I think that if Doom 4 was called something else people would be far less willing to shit on it. Same thing with XCOM EU.

I hope that the next (inevitable) Doom game goes a bit further. A bit more mobility, more enemies, new weapons that aren't just reimaginations of the old ones. Real map making tools. Again, it's a step in the right direction but they better keep going.

It's not better than no cutscenes though, and there's definitely far more than 1 cutscene per hour. I'd say one every 20 seconds unless you want to use the infinite ammo pistol a lot because ignoring glory kills and the chainsaw makes you use way more ammo than you would otherwise.

Why should it not be as good as the original? Why shouldn't a sequel with a significantly higher budget, way better tech, and the knowledge of every innovation in FPS games since 1993 lead to a better game? Why do we just accept that modern games will have worse gameplay?

There is no excuse for this, it's worse than DOOM1 and Quake for no good reason, and it doesn't even have mod support to let someone fix it. The game is irredeemable and anyone who tries to defend it is a cuckold or literal shill.

how long have manchildren like you been on Holla Forums shilling about "muh industry collapse"? Two console generations now?

I don't think many people expected it to be exactly like the old games, but again why should we settle for less? Either make it like the old games, or make it better. I have no incentive to play a worse Doom.

what the fuck

I played the demo.
It sucked ass. Slow, uncaptivating, press f to pay respects finish enemy and get iframes out the vazoo.
Simple as that.

id Tech 6 still uses space-eating MegaTextures, except now they're called virtual textures for whatever reason.

multiplayer is terrible, there are free arena FPSes that do better than this.
level design is shit
weapon design is shit
snapmap is shit
Denuvo means no mods
enemy limit is pretty low
reboot
the plot intrudes on the gameplay
made the rip n tear mechanic from brutal doom a part of the game and made it worse somehow
over 50GB space gets taken up by it
slow

Quake and Doom are infinitely more interesting singleplayer wise, and theres plenty of better multiplayer FPSes. theres just no reason to play it.

DID SOMEONE SAY DUBS THREAD????

I never understood the weapons limits other than a MUH REALISM
The regenerating health for games is a bit of a tricky little subject. From a game development perspective it potentially frees up your level designers and everything since they don't have to worry about balancing the health re-ups out with the enemy placements and density and all of that shit.
However, it can be a real lazy crutch and tends to lead more towards the "hide behind a wall" style of gameplay.

I think this Doom game gives a good answer to all those design problems. Just give an ability to get health back by being aggressive. Getting in there and going after the gory kills. The thing is, if you don't execute the kill and the enemy recovers from being staggered they're pretty much refreshed and take all that punishment needed to put them back into staggered again. So its either you finish the job with the gory kill or you finish the job with a bullet.

I would say consider it along the evolution of the series.
This game is more of a sequel/successor to the likes of Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 64 even. Doom 3 was not in any way a sequel to the previous Dooms, in my opinion. This actually feels like a successor to those other games and is closer to the original formula.
There is a clear difference though and I think that's the hang up. Problem is, had they just released something like an HD polished re-make of Doom 64, for instance, people would just bitch about how it was more of the same and they could just play the old ones for free anyway. So I guess people will always find something to bitch about.
Hopefully they take it and run with it and we can get shooters that reward aggression again.

I'm so sick of the wack-a-mole game that shooters have become.

Sage
SAGE? OH SAGE?! SAGE SAGE
SAAA-GE~
S-SAGE SAGE?
SAGE SAGE
SAGE

Oh lawd, I am laffin

Why would the copy protection prevent mods?

Halo did it, and then Call of Duty did it, and after that people just got it into their heads that that was the way games had to be now.

I'm genuinely curious if people like OP are just stupid, lazy or trying some sort of reverse-shilling tactic or all of the former.

Yeah. I know the history of it. I've been playing games for like nearly 3 decades now.
But I always assumed it was part of a push for MUH REALISM as the graphics got better.

Honestly, if you take a look into just how much MUH REALISM in graphics and shit directly starts to suck the soul, creativity, and risk out of video game design you'd probably be depressingly surprised.

That's why I never minded nintendo not trying to push the boundaries of graphics in their hardware. When you do that, it forces you to consider graphics on a stylization level rather than a push for photo realism. When you do that visually, then you are now opened up a bit more for other things.
You don't have a realistic looking world so you don't need to have realistic world physics and considerations.

Kek nice try OP I bought into this garbage on steam since it was on sale this week, played it for about 40 minutes and then refunded it
My favorite part was in the intro when they were like
It's like this was a parody of itself.

Its a soulless corporate product trying to pander to two different audiences (doom vets and bethdrones) and failing terribly at that. All the way from the cringy arrow to the knee reference to the poor level design and shitty glory kills this game is an example of how NOT to work with a classic IP. Its literally garbage.

There's also the excuse that it's more convenient for console shooters, since you don't have a whole keyboard of inputs available to map weapons to, so they just limit you to carrying two guns, which you switch between with the press of a single button. But that's assuming that weapon wheels are too complex of a system for some people, which I find very hard to believe.

For these following reasons
I enjoy the fuck out of the single player, but man it ain't worth $60.
Never pay more than twenty bucks for a computer game

Gears of War at least made an attempt by using the (often underused) D-pad on the 360 to give you at least 4 choices in weapon.
But yeah, I guess that weapon limit does make more sense on a console system.

Oh, let me guess, the older games are such a labor of love and not at all meant to be something that sold so well, right?

What exactly is the problem with denuvo? Other than it seems to be an anti-piracy method that's working?

Bethesdrones

The only saving grace is that there are different animations for coming into the gory kill on different areas on the enemy.

Front, back, and above.
I think even for some there are ones dealing with left and right side.

pretty much that, you can't try before you buy, and there was no demo

Well there's no official mod support and denuvo would make bruteforcing significantly more complicated.

exactly, I don't want to support some soulless corporate cashgrab with my money, therefore I'm not going to play it outside of the demo they released.

Lots of writes to your hard drive. If you have an SSD instead it'll shorten the life of it. It's not like your drive will break in a week, but it'll make a difference over time. I should mention that this is disputed a lot, and Denuvo claims it's false.
Also Denuvo doesn't have a Linux version, so any game using it will be Windows only. Doesn't affect many people though, and Linuxfags generally hate DRM anyway.

Personally I don't like it because I keep a cracked library of games I buy, just in case something goes wrong. I've had issues with DRM'd games not working before.

Fucking commie.
This "soulless corporate cashgrab" has put a lot of effort making the game and deserves to get paid for it.

bethesda pls go

Man it was great when you shills had to stay in one thread. When the overwatch cyclical is killed we'll be getting a lot more threads like these…

A game can be a labor of love and still sell well, thats pretty much the story behind every successful innovative game ever. Even so the original doom games were made by a bunch of really passionate dudes and not some bethdrone sheeple suits.
Why do you feel the need to defend this garbage?.

I don't care how much effort was put into it, I put a lot of effort into taking a gigantic shit yesterday but I don't expect the toilet to pay me for it because it's shit. The game is worse than DOOM 1 and 2 and has no mod support, and if I give them money then I'm telling them that they should make more games that are casual and ignore mod support. It's called voting with your wallet.

if this is bait then you got me

Its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be but it's not perfect either. It could probably be very good with a few mods. Muliplayer does genuinly suck so I would buy it for 15

and since there is no actual mod support so there's no reason to care about the game

DOOM is actually a pretty good game. Lots of people here have been criticizing it but at the end of the day it's a great shooter and no amount of criticism will change that.

It's fast paced, it's gory, it's over the top, and most of all it's FUN. Also try Fallout 4.

"Deserves to get paid", just like you making these posts huh?

I never trucked with the "I'm just pirating to try before I buy" excuse for piracy. Always rang hollow to me as people would continue to play the game, to completion, declare it was shit, then not buy it.
Fuck it, you were simply trying to get a free game. That's cool, whatever. I'm pretty sure most people would get free shit rather than pay for it if they could.
So if your panties are in a bunch that they've found a method that is thus-far working to keep you from getting the game for free, then I don't really give a shit about your opinion.

The lack of any official demo is shitty though. Considering that this game should have been easy to make a demo for. Just take the first level. In Ultra Nightmare mode you are dropped right into the environment with the shotgun. Perfect area for a demo.

I suppose, though, that even that demo would have been several gigabytes big.

Yeah I've heard of those problems. Never had them myself, though. I tend to not do multiple installs of a game (install it, beat it, tend to never play it again) which most of the older DRM systems tend to cause a problem for.

The one looming thing I think is a big threat is the always online aspect of some games though.

Nobody deserves to get paid for anything but they do have the right to refuse to engage in unpaid labor and a right to not have their works of labor stolen from them.

Not a defense but jesus christ some of these "reasons" seem pretty petty and autistic and just looking for reasons to hate something for the sake of being the cool kid that hates everything even remotely mainstream. You know, hipsters.

Like the big objective reason I see is the lack of mod support and/or the multiplayer sucks. That's fine. I don't personally give a shit about mod support in a game and multiplayer is the furthest thing from my mind when I think of a Doom game. But if those things are a deal breaker for you then I guess that makes sense.
But basically most of what i'm seeing is along the lines of "fun is a buzzword" type of shit.

Apart from multiplier, nothing is wrong. It's one of the best FPS games in the recent time, a good homage to the series, and anyone who tells you otherwise either hasn't played it or is hopelessly stuck in 15 years ago.
I love classic shooters, loved quake 2, painkiller, serious sam, and i love the new doom.

Would you mind shilling on a different forum for a while?

Ask me anything, Holla Forums

You gonna get elected, chief?

When will the gtx1070 actually sell for the $379 that it promised? Everywhere I look it's almost double the price.
I'm a euro shitter, if it helps.

Is there a shill and/or shills in this thread?

Did you really even need to ask that? You got your answer though

Is DOOM a great game?

Will WOOD get cracked?

They did do a demo recently, but it only lasted for a week. I wasn't advocating for "try before you buy" pirating, I'm talking about voting with your wallet. If I buy a sequel that is worse than the original, I am telling the devs with my money that I want them to keep making the game more casual and neglecting mod support. Even if I think that the game is still fun I don't buy it, otherwise the next sequel will be even worse. I actually like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but I'm not going to pay for them otherwise Fallout 5 and Skyrim 2 :^) will be even more casual and will still have that godawful voiced protagonist. I know that one purchase or lack thereof isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but if every brexit supporter in the UK didn't think that their vote was important then they'd still be getting cucked by Islam.

Do you support the NSA mass surveillance of American citizens?

Exactly the point, I have bought plenty of games that I ended up deciding where worth my money and supporting the devs, Bethesda was never one of them.

I wonder if this some dedicated autist baiting or this person is legit stupid like this.

you forget the part where they play the game to completion.
If it was really a shit game, they wouldn't do that.

The only explanation is an addiction. like any given drug addict.

SSVR /=/ SS4

It's new and trendy therefore it's shit for us fashionably non-conformist and edgy anti-normalfags.

That's right Anonymous, just like Liberty Prime said in Fallout 3 (my third favorite game by the way),

Remember to gift DOOM to your friends so they can join in the fun too!

Zenimax knows not to overlook us anymore.
Gospel of user
Boston Salt Party
Boston Salt Party 2.0

Here's a good example of that working properly. I'm a Linuxfag, which means that I can play some non-Linux games using a program called Wine. Not every game works with it. I wanted to play Undertale It was just out and I had no idea what it would become so I pirated the Windows version. It turns out it doesn't work unless you extract it like a zip file, because for some reason the EXE contains the actual EXE. After discovering that and playing as far as the demo allows, I bought it.
I've pirated games and not bought them before, but most of the time if the game is good I get it. I got into most of the franchises I like nowadays through piracy, such as Serious Sam and Jedi Academy.

Of course I don't speak for everyone, and there's always a group of people who won't buy the game and just pirate it. There are also markets where piracy is so commonplace you can't earn anything, such as Android and it's 90% piracy rates.

I did like that the health/ammo drops even if you don't do the Glory Kills; you just need to gib them.

I also like how nuDoom didnt do the whole realism thing with the regular weapons. I can't think of any game recently released that has triple quickshot shotguns.

That's why making micro transactions a de-facto game design is so rampant.

Also I would say you're in a minority when it comes to piracy if that's the case.
That being said, as far as linux goes, it would be really nice to see Valve give an aggressive push to that area.
Right now it seems like they're doing like Google tends to do. Push towards an area or market, get people excited, and then drop it all together.

Did the gospel of user spread outside of Holla Forums or something?

For better or worse.

How about the fact that this game is such shoddily programmed bloatware that you're only allowed to fight 12 enemies at a time? Who knows what would happen if you were allowed to fight 13 enemies, your Xbone would probably brick. Checkem.

/r/ing todd howard shoop of this, 'greetings fellow gamers', wearing id software shirt and general Holla Forums paraphernalia

paranoid faggot

I haven't play SS3 but i did play the first and second encounter and they were downright some of the worst pieces of steaming shit i have ever had the unfortunate experience to play. Downright putrid shit. Those games are fucking awful.

For better, then. Perhaps one day enough people will get tired of Bethesda's bullshit and Beth will slowly start to make good games again.

I just really want another dev to copy the general idea of what Bethesda is trying to do but not fuck it up so badly. I hate open world settings that just have a main quest and small optional content with nothing else to do outside of those two. I want more games like Morrowind where you can go join a particular faction and define your character by what kind of people they associate with and what kind of activities they do. I can think of a tiny amount of RPGs that actually do this, because they almost always focus on the "main quest" and random little sidequests so that every player experiences the majority of the content on their first playthrough.

Let's not get retarded.

OpenMW

Double edged sword for Bethesda.
on the one hand, to please a modding community, you almost have to make a game as more of an open sandbox with plenty of empty shit so moders can have their way with it. This leads to a very shitty vanilla game.

On the other hand, if you close off mod support and focus on making a game with a targeted experience and feel, you alienate the moders.

See, I don't buy this idea that the original Doom games had mod support. It is really more a matter of that the game is so simple by today's standards and has been around for such a long time that modding for it is easy as shit.

Lets be real with ourselves here and the evolution of the technology. You could throw together the entirety of the original doom games in a weekend with current technology out there to facilitate game development.

Nothing. It's actually the best DOOM made so far.

Nice work guys

Tell the truth, you're gonna lose right?

Why cant they have both. Make the game modular, but have the vanilla game mechanics really good, then let the player decide how much depth the game has. The casual player can play what is essetially fo4 as is (-voice acting) but a hardcore player can turn on skills, and skill checks, and turn off quest markers. Or what they could do is make a sort of rpg maker esque game where they just give you the engine to play with and the modders make their own games.

Blame the idiots that keep bumping it

I think you missed the point.
"Mod support" is a fairly new idea in video games.

todd howard

I don't see how this has anything to do with what I said.

The Doom engine uses WAD files to store information, such as textures, sounds and maps. It can also load multiple WADs, which is how modern Doom modding works. You load DOOM.WAD for the base game, and your_mod.WAD for the extra stuff. This is opposed to overwriting loose files in a game directory, which is how a lot of other games are modded. The mod stays separate from the game, and you can load it whenever you want it.
You don't need to make a game as a sandbox to please modders. I think what you mean is that some games that try to be mod-friendly end up as shells, and the devs expect modders to fill in the gaps. Minetest did that. Doom didn't. Both are easily moddable.
The original Doom games didn't come with mod support. People made tools for them after fucking about with hex editors. I'd expect the same to happen with the reboot, but I have a feeling Denuvo is going to get in the way somehow.

You mean offical mod support. I think morrowind had that a long time ago so its almost 16 years old at this point. And im sure there have been lots of games in the past that have had mod support integrated into them. Modding isnt a new idea, niether is mid support.

It's a shill thread as much as a bait thread

Right, the modding is a consequence of the design that made it easier for the developers and years of people hacking away at it to make it better.
Although I still stand that "mod support" as a concept in the mainstream is fairly new.
I would wager that nobody really gave a fuck about offical "mod support" until Fallout 3 was released.

But yeah, you're right. I do mean that if a game company wants to rely on mods, they end up with shells.

Skyrim felt bare and empty as all fuck. It was then very clear that the entire game was a sandbox/tech demo made pretty much so that modders could fill in the gap.

Yeahp, a bait and shill. You discovered it.
You know, 9/11 was also an inside job. Todd Howard paid for the bombs.

Seeing someone who likes serious sam is a very easy to tell to find people who think they have good taste but actually have shit taste.

I actually have a question about Serious Sam.
Is it a decent game, mechanically?

The whole thing seems like a far more crude satire of shooters than Duke Nukem.

(((54fd9c)))

OpenMW is not a game, it is an engine. I love the project and try to support it, but at most we're going to get lots of improvements to Morrowind. I'd be surprised if we get something along the lines of Nehrim, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

And it is possible for Bethesda to make good games, they do have the capability. Almost everything to do with crafting in Fallout 4 was actually pretty neat, and the environments were really well made. General gameplay on post patch survival is actually pretty good too. The main thing they consistently fuck up to unspeakable degrees is anything related to writing or dialogue, and if they happen to hire someone like Kirkbride again and drop the voiced protagonist bullshit it is entirely reasonable to see that they might be able to make a good game. It likely still won't be a great RPG, but there are good games that aren't good RPGs.

I don't think Bethesda made Skyrim under the assumption that modders will add in anything that they don't, I think it was just a combination of incompetence and lack of time. The incompetence comes from how casualized the RPG elements have become, and the lack of time is shown in the vast amount of unfinished or rushed content like the civil war, Thieves Guild, or College of Winterhold questlines. All of the major questlines actually have quite a bit of cut content, those were just the worst offenders. The CoW was originally going to involve time travel that takes you back to Winterhold before it got fucked, as well as more opportunities to learn magic firsthand like when you practiced wards with Tolfdir. The Civil War also had a lot of plans for being completely dynamic, you could lose battles and the city would be captured by the opposing side and you'd have to conquest your way towards the enemy capitol city, and the more cities you owned the more soldiers you'd have in that battle. The civil war stuff was actually finished by a modder, but I think Bethesda rushed Skyrim so hard just to get that sweet 11-11-11 release date.

Fallout 4 on the other hand was absolutely made as a shell for modders. It has a bunch of neat systems but very little content for them, like how you can make custom buildings for settlements but there's only two types of buildings you can make (wood and metal) and the latter is super barebones. There's also like 2 non settlement cities in the entire game, and one of them is very small anyways (Goodneighbor). I think the reason they did that with Fallout 4 and not Skyrim is that they had plans to bring mods to consoles. Todd said at one point that with Skyrim only like 13% of users played with mods, which makes sense because the console versions sold so well and there were probably a decent chunk of steamcucks that didn't know what modding was before Bethesda partnered with Valve for the workshop support.

Its bad fam. Really bad. Its fucking boring, the weapons have no weight, its just point and shoot. The character also moves very slow for this type of game. Its just overall a very very boring game. People here like it because Holla Forums is full of hipsters.

So the people who like it are just some sort of hipster faggots?

still a smaller install than FFXIII PC

No, John. You are the faggots.

Well to be fair, a whole lot of the "lore" behind Doom, and a bunch of old games from around the same time, is all just conjecture and other bullshit.

these games were bare bones. You may have had some sort of simple explanation in the first few pages of a manual, and some little flavor text with weaponry, and maybe at the end of the game a paragraph or two of something to wrap it all up. But really, there is mostly nothing there.

I'm fairly certain that most of the "lore" comes from shit people actually saw in the game. As in, the visuals of the levels. nothing really stated in the game itself about what was going on.

Bethesda is wrong.

Level design, instead of being sprawling maps that focus on making interesting enemy encounters via terrain and enemy types, instead are a sequence of "corridor - enemy arena - corridor - enemy arena". Instead of just dying to an appropriate amount of damage, enemies first need to go into a stagger state, which just makes you use more ammo. Combined with the very low ammo capacity of the game, it really insists on you doing glory kills, which not only save ammo, but cause enemies to drop more ammo. You're also invincible during a glory kill, so there's no actual downside to it. There's no ammo management, either, because almost every uses the same universal ammo. The upgrade system replaces player skill with character buffs. The visual design is shit, and enemies blend into the environment more often than not. All the humanoid enemies are difficult to distinguish from a distance. The sound design is also shit and you can't really tell where enemies are based on sound. The weapons feel weak. There are moments where it forces story, that even Doomguy doesn't care about, on you.

For every good thing the game does, it does two other things bad, in a way that fools people inexperienced with classic fps's into thinking it's some great successor of those games when really it's only a passable AAA fps in a sea of shit and nowhere near a true successor to Doom 1, 2, and 64.

Yes, it is. However, the focus isn't on level design, instead being on throwing different combinations of enemies in different sequences and timings at you and seeing how you're able to deal with them. It isn't like Doom or its clones, and it isn't trying to be like Doom or it clones, but I have the feeling that most people who call it shit do so because it isn't doing the same things Doom and its clones do.

You'd probably prefer something like Painkiller.

that's part of the RPG elements though. You can increase your ammo capacity.
Do I completely agree with RPG elements in a shooter game like doom? Not really. But do I understand why they're there? Absolutely.

As I go through my first play through, the very first thing, whenever I could manage it, was to upgarde anything dealing with ammo capacity. Before health or armor capacity.

Then can you explain to me why they need to be there?

It's there to keep people enticed into playing the game. The problem is that there shouldn't need to be an explicit progression system to keep people playing the game. People should continue playing the game because it's fun to play, not because they can increase numbers by playing a little bit more. The fact it's there says the devs were confident in their own game to keep people interested all the way through.

*weren't

Ironically the upgrade system is the reason that I dropped the game while I was playing the demo. I had asked my friend if they ever make ammo more plentiful in later levels so that I didn't have to do cutscene kills all the time, and he said ammo isn't a problem once you get an ammo ugprade halfway through the game. I didn't want to play through all that shit just to make the game reasonably enjoyable so I didn't bother buying it after playing the demo, despite kinda liking the general gameplay (when I had ammo at least)

Shit, hit send too early. Let me go deeper.

I don't know if this is a lower difficulty thing but enemies drop very little ammo unless you use the chainsaw which, in it self, is a very limited usage thing.

In later areas of the game, coming up to do one of those can prove to be pretty shitty since enemies tend to group up and many many enemies have ranged attacks. They like to mix the ranged enemies with the ones that are constantly hounding you melee wise too.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? There is no universal ammo although some guns use the same, as with other dooms. (chaingun uses assault ammo, shotty and super shotty use the same, plasma and gauss use the same..)

As far as the buffs? Those are dependent upon you. You can participate in the RPG elements or you can opt out by not using them.

I have never had this problem. Things get a bit murky when out in the mars world (red-tinted enemies with a red tinted world) but other than that it is fine. Maybe you need some eye doctors, user.

Again, maybe its me, but I never had a problem with this. I also never rely on sound to distinguish enemy position in games like this. I use visual.
I do lament there is no option to toss on the original soundtrack, but eh..what ever.

ThatstheJoke.jpg
That's kind of the point. There is a bit of satire of not only modern shooters but of the old game here as well. I think its tastefully done too. Especially when you're supposed to stop the argent energy reactors. There is a point where dude is telling doomguy how to stop them and he just destroys the fucking things. The implication being that any other shooter or modern protagonist would do absolutely everything this disembodied voice tells them while doomguy is saying "fuck all this hell energy and fuck what you want."

You're kind of wrong there. Its not to keep people enticed into playing the game. that's what all the collectibles and secrets are for.
RPG elements, in any action game, are there to help the less skilled float their way above the challenges through grinding.

But you see, this Doom game is a bit of a different animal. There are things (points towards the RPG system) that it will throw at you, but they are anemic compared what you would get if you truly explored the game (tons of secret areas).
None of these RPG elements are really based on amount of kills or anything like that.
So while it may keep the more casual player in the game because they can maybe get a slight leg up, the other more hardcore player is somewhat more rewarded.

And of course you can chose not to bother with it at all.

Not sure what that was all about. You can continually upgrade ammo capacity (to a certain point) but there will always be times where a single weapon you're using is going to run out of ammo due to over use in an area. Yeah, you can use gory kills to replenish it but the replenish is very limited. A chainsaw kill usually gives you all you need but those are also limited (and you should save them for when you really need them).

So I don't get this. Either the game is too hard or too easy? not just the right amount? what is it?

funny meme dude☺

When I played, I very often ran out of ammo on both the shotgun and machine gun and they were the only weapons I had other than the chainsaw and infinite ammo pistol. And the pistol is super weak/boring, so the fact that I had to use it so much was gay. The game wasn't too hard or too easy, I liked the difficulty on nightmare. The problem is that they just did not give you enough ammo to play without doing cutscene kills.

And if the purpose of the RPG elements was to cater to casuals, then that's even worse. You should get better at killing enemies by becoming more skilled at playing the game, not because you went out of your way to find a bunch of +10% damage upgrades for your weapons. The weapons should be delicately balanced to be as fun and interesting as possible in all situations, but if their balance varies wildly on weapon upgrades then you can't have that.

It's called Doom. I hate this shit, literally no one calls it Doom, it's Doom 4 or Doom 2016. Otherwise the single player was fun, I didn't pay too much attention to the multiplayer, fely generic.

The fact that they added a perk to shorten the glory kills means they knew it was intrusive and only served to make the gameplay worse, but they put it in the game anyway just to "reward" the player by allowing them to slightly alleviate a problem that they basically admitted shouldn't have even been there in the first place. That line of thinking alone is reason enough to avoid the game.

I'd like to have something for Holla Forums to consider, it isn't console players that ruined DOOM, it's the current generation of consumers. Those that grew up with coddling games that had effortless tutorials under a philosophy of either "lets make as much money as possible by being consumer friendly". As is due to not having to aim much DOOM 64 and the PS1 version were actually extremely console friendly.

I can sorta answer that last point, the game implements difficulty poorly, the glory kill mechanic serves as a cop out for careful placement of enemies and health/armour/ammo. So it forces players into a specific playstyle of doing "glory kills" constantly to find the health or armour they need. They've also removed the deal of bonus health and armour which means careful management of pickups isn't rewarded with being above the health cap anymore. Instead it's replaced by upgrades which can be and are seen as an impurity. So lets say a person wants to play in an unbroken flow, the stagger animations from the demons in glory kills make weapons feel and act piss weak, the lack of ammo placement is made more notable due to this making their time much harder. I guess to summarize it's a game that doesn't allow freedom of playstyle, which makes those who choose speed, range, or even close range since it has so many intrusive actions to not have fun.

Also it's slow as shit.

That's pretty fair, there's a lot of incredibly casual PC gamers too and I'd say that they're in the majority. I only blame companies when they fail to please anyone, but when you have a publisher like EA that pushes all of their developers to make shitty casual games and preorder bonuses, I don't blame them for that because it is the retarded consumers that are enabling these practices. If preorder bonuses didn't make people preorder more often, then they wouldn't exist. If people didn't preorder as much, developers would have to make sure that their game is good and polished before releasing it. If people actually cared about deep and fun gameplay rather than "cinematic experiences", then developers would stop copying shit like Uncharted.

if it's of some condolence, it's gotten more popular to hate on ultra mainstream shooters, sure it's not much of an upgrade to switch from Call of Advanced ghost ops 3 or Halo ADS aids to bioshock infinite or Doom 2016, but people are generally beginning to ask for different shit.

Wait, what the fuck, this looks like the beginning of world of ultima, but with earth instead of mars.

what?
no, this has to be a low as fuck difficulty.

Also, for everything else you said, I'm sorry but I don't see it.
You can ignore the health upgrades. You can ignore the armor upgrades. Which by the way, are capacity upgrades, nothing to really make you actually harder to kill. But if you happen upon enough items, you can get higher values. Doesn't help much when a fireball shot from an imp can take about a third of your health away anyway.

Also, so much shit is given to the stagger animations. They are really aren't that common if you keep shooting. And many times if you're playing aggressively, they won't show up at all. I have to wonder if this is now arguments based on the lower difficulty settings or something retarded like that.

I only say that last bit because i've seen for years Holla Forums decry the "git gud" for things like Dark Souls only to find in all their screen shots that they have health bars that encompass 2/3 of the fucking screen space.

That's true, nudoom may be a shit doom game but it's a step in the right direction compared to modern FPS games and it is very well liked amongst casuals for that reason.

I'm also happy that Quantum Break and Order 1886 completely flopped and were universally hated.

Now if only people would start complaining about voiced protags, that cancer is becoming way too widespread.

BEHOLD ANONS LOOK AT THIS MAN WHO SHILLS NUDOOM WITHOUT A HALF DECENT KNOWLEDGE OF THE FIRST AND LAUGH AT HIM

nightmare mode having increased enemy damage forcing you to do glory kills to survive is the same thing as nightmare mode forcing you to use the soul cube because of the health drain tick

voiced protag wouldn't even be an issue if they actually put in the effort and money to do enough voice overs to keep it as an RPG. I remember the important NPC's in fallout 1 and 2 had voiced dialogue but they actually put enough effort into actually recording everything. Voice protag plus limited options is the real crime against nature.

Confirmed for not even playing the game. Enemies do more damage, making them bullet sponges would ruin the flow of the game.

Multiplayer was in the very first shareware version and the guys at ID were playing it before they even finished the game. Deathmatch was a pretty big part of Doom, it's a shame not many people care about it now. Webm related, some early Deathmatch gameplay. I think they even used co-op to share the levels they were working on if I remember right.

also difficulty in DOOM doesn't affect health of the enemies, that's the retards way out. Instead if you actually played the game you would know that Nightmare increases the speed of the enemies in both move and attack along with them eventually re-spawning but also increases ammo cap by double to help the player. It also changed item placement at times too.

But it doesn't have flow user.

Don't know why you guys are so pissy. I never gave enough of a fuck about the things I was killing to remember their names.

That's great and everything, but that isn't the version that took everyone by storm and was ported on everything.

Shit man, for a long time FPS games were called "Doom-like" or "Doom Clones"

It's not Doom, plain and simple. Shit music, slow arena design, 12 enemy limit, shit music, no modding, too many futuristic guns. Tried too hard to be dark and memey.

If a new Mario Kart came out and it beat every Forza and Gran Turismo race simulator outta the water, it'd still suck as aMario kart game.

Get off your goddamn high horse. If I were to say the PS4 and Wii U both have good games, you same guys would go apeshit. They do, by the way

I never even touched the single player, I'm unhappy I wasted the money at Redbox

its fuvkig the fsst not go splash jump wee

correction: it doubles the ammo given by pickups

ammo cap doubling is the backpack, which is in every difficulty

can i be the boss

I bought the PS4 at launch with the mistaken assumption that like the PS3, it would be different enough in market and make up that it would get some pretty neat exclusives. having a PC able to play nearly any game I didn't bother with an Xbox One because I figured, much like the last generation, that the Xbone would have plenty, if not all, games for it also available for PC (windows) play.

Ho boy…I learned a valuable lesson.
nintendo is the only fucking game company with any fucking exclusives to its hardware that are worth getting at launch and keeping up with. All others? May as well get as they're on their last legs to get those two or three exclusives for cheap along with a cheapened console.

Voiced protag is a crime whether there are lots of options or not. Perhaps I want to play as a crazed psychopath incapable of coherent speech, I can't do that because the only character I can be is a tone neutral generic protagonist character. Without voice acting, this is easily possible as well as any other arbitrary personality.

There's also the fact that they can be incredibly annoying, like in the demos they've shown for Horizon the protagonist never shuts the fuck up, even in menus.

ah thanks for the correction, kinda embarrassing for me to make that wording mistake with a post like that eh.

While I don't agree with your extreme self-insert rpg bullshit I do agree with one thing…

voiced protagonist in a Doom game would be horrible.

Like if it was in a zelda game.

certain games you just don't do that.

that's disgusting, I am horrified that you would think that I would be so low as to do such a thing.

No, I am mostly referring to the ability to role play in a role playing game. This is why RPGs like Witcher are complete garbage because you don't actually play a role or make a character, Geralt plays the role for you almost completely, outside of the ability to choose a couple dialogue options that are completely out of character.

You do, you play the role of Geralt.

Who saw this game and gave enough of a shit to buy it?

You do realize how little that means right?
Most steam reviewers are just dipshit memers who hail from reddit and the majority of the remaining ones just thumb up the games and say things like "DURRRRR I LIEK DIS GAEM" which give absolutely no information about the game to the user. Doom 3 also got mostly positive reviews as did the new tomb raider and cs go. Guess CS GO is dah best game ever because some reddit memers say so amiright?

Fuck off. We've already covered this more than enough times.

I wouldn't mind voice protags if they weren't voiced by Troy Baker or Nolan North for the fucking hundredth time

Also enjoy a dead game you fucking shills.

oh, I thought when I played the nudoom demo that it was only shitty damage sponge horseshit on nightmare but it looks like I was wrong. I uninstalled it and didn't bother to even try out ultra violence before doing so, hated its color pallete, hated the glory kills, didn't perform as well as it should have on my computer, the pistol felt awful to use. Sounded like a fucking literal pea shooter and charging it up wasn't fun, I think the game actually slows you down while charging it too not that you can't usually just get away with spamming it at demon heads but still. Also the game has mouse accel as a default and the only way to turn it off was via console(which you don't get in the demo)

So many things about it just bored me and pissed me off(as I kind of suspected they would) I went in, wanting to be proven wrong but I really wasn't, I've seen a lot worse games but as an fps nudoom is meh and as an fps of its specific subgenre its pretty mediocre.

Thanks for rubbing it in, Todd.

P
I
I
B
L

oh Holla Forums, you never cease to amaze me on how far you'll fucking go, and even break your own fucking standards, when it comes to just really hating a game for no reason other than its new and it should be hated.

You truly are just the most hipstery fucks of the gaming hobby.

Make it another (216) faggot

What do you mean version? It was in every PC version. Most console ports had multiplayer taken out because they couldn't handle it, but every "normal" version of Doom has it. Deathmatch is half the reason Doom became so popular.

I don't know about nightmare on NuDoom, I was only referencing the changes on the original. I believe the only make them hit harder for the new.

Are you seriously making a big deal over the faggot talking? It was the entire reason for why I even MP4'ed the fucking thing. Use your head shill.
Also way to completely ignore the point of said MP4.

fuck off nigger, sw 2013 and serious sam 3 already existed in 2016 and were made very recently. Its not a "step in the right direction" especially with those shit rpg mechanics and glory kills as well as the straight line bullshit that is jumping.

I keep getting this feeling that most of the faggots who hate this game in this thread would feel oh so more comfortable if they could just downvote the threat and thus hide it from others seeing it.

These, now fuck off.
There is no need for this thread, at some point bethesda or someone else will release another fancy shooter with pretty graphics, and you are not only going to forget about nuDoom but also start making threads about that shooter instead (nuQuake?). The planet will keep spinning and people will keep playing source ports of the original and making megawads for it because it's actually worth it, and you are probably never going to understand why, but it will happen regardless. The most perfect and crude definition of a pleb.

It's already going to be hidden away because you helped it go over the bump limit with your 44 posts you retard.

I know.
openmw.org/faq/
>OpenMW is a free, open source and modern engine based which reimplements and extends the one that runs the 2002 open-world RPG Morrowind. The engine comes with its own editor , called OpenMW-CS which allows the user to edit or create their own original games. Both OpenMW-CS and OpenMW are written from scratch and aren’t made to support any third party programs the original Morrowind engine uses to improve its functionality.

kek

Neat, so when I have something else to say about the game I'll make another thread.

Or maybe i'll make a thread about Doom 3 for all you faggots to circle jerk about how it was the greatest shit ever despite it being the shittiest and least Doom-like installment against the rest?

Face it. You're nothing more than hipsters and aging grandpas yelling at kids to get off your lawn.

I will never not stop because I love video games and most of Holla Forums is full of hipster bullshit. I will also keep directing "cancer" to this place. because you faggots are mostly Holla Forums shitters and gamergays anyway. Fuck you all.

oh I thought you were talking about nudoom when you said difficulty dosen't affect health, well it definitely doesn't
in old doom.

Oh yeah cause I'm totally going to buy a game which after having played the demo for I can confirm is mediocre shit developed and published by unscrupulous kikes who are blatantly anti-consumer.

Yeah, just use an anti-tampering software that makes modding the game impossible to potentially save a few extra shekles because your afraid that 100 out of every milllion people might pirate your game.

That aside people don't say Doom 3 is good, it's just less shit then NUdoom stop putting words in the mouths of others user. But it's good to know that you're so much of a retard that you have to resort to shitposting about Holla Forums and goyimgate. As is the fact that you're defending the game so much despite the community clearly stating why said game is shit multiple times is extremely pathetic. But I know a board or two fit for you user who didn't even know what a demon/pinky was.
>>>/reddit/
>>>/4chan/
take your pick.

Shill a shit dying desperate game more why don't you.

The only reason why there are some people here who like DOOM 3 is because DOOM 3 knew what the fuck it was trying to be, they knew it wasn't going to be anything like old-DOOM and therefore it had it's own okay-ish ideas I can see some people getting into.
Then you have Nu-DOOM which has no idea what it wants to be and is literally only in it for the nostalgia fags. Once you do one fight in it, you may aswell have done them all.

Yes, let us all partake in new-age filith, how about we play "The Division"? Oh how about that new "Fallout 4" game goy? Actually lets just give more money to shit companies while we are at it!

Sweet now fuck off.

you know what we need user? Fast shooter threads to appear whenever faggots like op appear, just hijack em so things like painkiller quake,tf2?, EYE, and old DOOM can be talked about.

My nigga.

actually on top of that list I'd say include double action boogaloo.

You know, sometimes I hope for the same things that Holla Forums hopes for. ANd that all you super autists will get rounded up and shot in the back of the head.

At any rate…lets talk about shooters in general. can Duke Nukem ever make a comeback?

Pic related.

In Doom, you can enter a quiet area without noticing anything, but the moment you shoot, you realize you fell into an ambush. As they start to shoot in all direction, you have to manage the space around you: where can you walk, where can't you walk, what should you be shooting at, and how do you do not to get cornered.

Right now a thread on the first page is about Shota Link.

I'm sorry you faggots get so triggered about games.

Dear god I hope you are doing this ironically.

that thread has nothing to do with you being a retard user. Are you that much of a shit drinking autistic fool to not know that?

I can say the same things about the new doom too.

there really isn't a strong case here unless you were trying to compare the old dooms to like Doom 3

Almost every single encounter in Nu-DOOM is just a fucking skatepark designed room where you must kill all enemies in the area in order to move on. As a result it means lazy level design.
This has been done in other games but better.

this.

Take map 13 "Downtown" from Doom II: you spend most of your time in the streets, not in the buildings. You can never be sure the whole area is clear (as you may have missed some enemies, some may have spawned, some buildings may have open since your last visit), you can't be sure whether or not you're safe, or what's going to happen next… and that unsafe area is the main hub. The original game wasn't designed like "okay, go kill these people, and when it's clear, you're allowed to move further – not that it matters since you're not coming back here anyway". So you needed fast reflexes. There was no warm up and no clue that you'd be about to encounter another "wave" of enemies.

In case that post wasn't a joke, do you play the role of Mario when you play Super Mario Bros, therefore making Super Mario Bros an RPG?

Did you read anything that I wrote above that? Tell me why they don't have the capability. All they really need is one good writer.

Only manchildren like you buy DOOMED. See now? You can bullshit both ways.

So then, what's your opinions on Doom64?

pics unrelated.