Dark Forces/Jedi Knight

I feel like giving up at this game, I am just so done with this fucking level design, one thing is to be abstract, but this is right down mazelike at times.

Other urls found in this thread:

lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206018
archive.is/gsIpC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Those games were easy to find your way around in. Are you one of the dishonored play testers?

Hey, I've played games like Marathon without hardly getting lost, but when it comes to the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series I keep getting disoriented.

If you really get so lost why not just follow one wall?
Or quick save, no clip and figure out the route, reload and follow it?

I often do that, but I sooner find secrets than the main path to the exit, now some maps are easy to navigate, like the first maps, but then comes that ONE map that i feel stumped at, I might try no clipping, thanks.

Plus I just hate vertical level design.

honestly dude?

lmao

Have an upvote, dude lmao.

Your bullshit has been found out. Fuck off casual nigger.

I can make it till about the part with the monorail before getting utterly lost.

Compare it to Jedi Knight's level design and you'll see which one is the true vertical level design, faggot, you're too desperate about trying to out me as some sort of cancer.

The worst part of Dark Forces was the sewers after that it's smooth sailing. The worst part of Dark Forces II was the lightsaber combat, only because I played Jedi Outcast before Dark Forces II. The worst part of Jedi Outcast was Nar Shadda.

Nar Shadda was the worst level in Jedi Outcast because of all the snipers, while the sewers were terrible because of how dark and obtuse everything was.

In short, you're a faggot and should fucking kill yourself for even thinking the level design is fucking confusing in these games.

Sounds like you don't know how to use a map system that doesn't have a bunch of markers telling you where to go. I played the game as a 7-8 year old growing up and could find my way around, and exploring around to find out where I need to go wasn't that hard. The only thing that was hard for me was figuring out what weapons tended to work best on certain levels, as I usually did what I could to conserve ammo for the higher tier weapons. But part of the fun was figuring out what weapon combinations worked well. Later on as a teenager I was able to beat the game on hard difficulty for every level, the only one that has annoying design (not really due to difficulty, just lengthy and annoying) was the 3rd level.

I fucking love this series, but I couldn't play that level without panicking when I was younger. Pretty sure I skipped it the first few playthroughs.

That, and the early level with the sand worms. It's not too difficult when you know what you're doing, but the fucking noise those things made freaked the fuck out of me.

Fuck that mine. I quit playing JO because of that fucking level.

Games don't usually give me motion sickness, but Jedi Outcast's level design did it for me. Still my favorite in the series despite all that.

You know you can look up and down with PgUp and PgDown in Dark Forces, right? Clearing the levels ain't rocket science. There are some puzzle-ass bullshit moments where you are trying to figure out what to do, but it shouldn't be a problem if you've played Marathon. Or just consult a fucking walkthrough.

Too be fair it's pretty bad in Jedi Knights 2. I remember renting it a bunch as a kid and I got stuck constantly (I mostly played it for the multilayer). I got further in it when I was older but quit because I got bored, and yeah it's pretty bad sometimes.

How do you casuals figure out how to breath?

Fuck off gook.

recently played that game and loved it, user.
Also, enable cheats and type this into console:
g_saberrealisticcombat 1
Do it you fucking nigger.

Come on OP.

Dude, it's some of the best. Well, the jedi battles aren't that good, but the saber and force combat feels more like classic star wars than new star wars.

well no shit

It's linear, but somehow way too cryptic at times. It's okay though, you can watch some yutube walkthroughs if u get lost.

JK gives me more motion sickness though.

I don't understand this.

THey all work perfectly fine on mine. Even the CD version of DFII, even though the gog version works better.

It's definitely a monitor problem, it causes random colors and smearing to fill the screen once I get more than a few seconds into the menu screen of all of them. Interestingly screenshots and recordings taken during the issue show zero problems, so I'd assume everything else is working great.

Git Gud OP.

Err, well you aren't OP, but you get my point.

If you gave me a "well no shit" then why did you bother responding you faggot. And you said it yourself,

Which is why the lightsaber is ass in Dark Forces II. If it's terrible in the one fucking aspect everyone thinks about when it comes to the goddamn laser sword, then why would you say it's the best?

I should try it again, gave up because of the same reason

Awesome cherrypicking there.

I disagree with you but goddamn are those some sexy webms.

I wasn't cherry picking anything, I was posting random fun webms of the game.

They are only 30fps user…

AMD or NVIDIA?

For a while I remember I had to use some older version of an OpenGL .dll file to get the game to run well, but then after a while AMD updated their drivers to work better with OpenGL stuff and I stopped using that trick.

I do know that if you try to use the widescreen "hack" then your game is more likely to crash, especially Jedi Academy.

Here we go, found the thread that talks about it:
lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206018
archive.is/gsIpC

I remember that there were still a couple broken things after using that trick, but hey, the game was playable. Again though, it shouldn't be necessary on modern drivers.

Either you're trying to fiddle me or SVP works with my browser now. Either way I'm not complaining.

The level design in all those games follow a very simple Doom-style layout. Some of the puzzles might take a while to crack the first time but it's not impossible.

I don't blame you for wanting to quit at Mysteries of the Sith, that game had some really meandering levels, but the Dromund Kaas stages at the very end are worth the effort.

My suggestion is to skip forward to Jedi Academy, bust through that and work backwards. It might seem like a strange idea, but the level design and puzzles are by far the simplest in the series to work around, and it should help ease you into coping with the formula better.

I missed out on the Dark Forces games when I was a kid, and only started with Jedi Outcast and Academy so I had to work backwards like this myself.

this game gave me a fucking fear of murky water

You can save the file and check the properties yourself. It feels smooth because the speedrunner applied motion blur to the video after recording it. not a bad idea if you really do go fast I suppose.

I just checked the files and you are in fact not trying to fiddle me. Guess I'm just a retard because SVP was automatically interpolating it to 144.

Oh shit, now I'm curious to know that that looks like, even though I generally hate motion interpolation stuff.

Good thing we've got OpenJK now then, hey?

I've done a recent playthrough of Academy and got through that level last night. It and the last set of levels in general are top tier. My favourite's the one where you're working your way through the Jedi Knight's abandoned tomb.

I love Academy. The amount of options you have available towards the end of the game coupled with the janky momentum-based physics make every fight feel different, even if they're the same ones on different playthroughs. I like Outcast a lot too, but the replay value of Academy seals the deal for me.

New Jedi Knight game never ever

>New Jedi Knight game never ever
But user, disney killed the old canon and rebooted it all with that god awful movie. Do you seriously WANT a game based on that ?

No

I remember seeing a page in a leaflet that was a collection of logos for planned Star Wars games and that they were canned whenever Disney bought the franchise. Among them were 1313/Bounty Hunter 2 and a new JK game, among others.

Came to the wrong neighborhood
motherfucker