DRM Shenanigans

So I was browsing the Steam store, and I saw the new version of State of Decay for sale. I go to look at teh original version, and see "overwhelmingly negative". I go to look at the reviews and apparently they broke the original version of the game intentionally before discontinuing support, forcing people to buy the updated version. You literally cannot play this game even if you paid for it, and have to buy it again.

How the fuck have I not heard about this yet? How has this not become a big deal? How the fuck are these devs getting away with this?

Get the people who bought it to complain to valve, theyll fix it. Hopefully anyway.

I think he has a point: he might have a case for a class-action lawsuit.

Jesus Christ. That's theft. Someone needs to take them to court.

I think its fraud not theft.

Just bring it up to Steam Support. Has no one done that?

Steam support is notoriously awful. It might work, but it will take forever. Honestly, their best bet is posting it on reddit and hopig it gets attention.

Shiiiet mfw I might get some Steam gibs me dat for owning a shitty game that got fucked over shady practices

Just start a good ol' internet shitstorm and they WILL listen. It worked with paid mods it will work with this

I just launched the game, 'old' version, everything seems to be ok with it.

Same here, the game is working. The problem might be for those who just bought it? Still bullshit, but maybe it wasn't really intentional, just a very bad fuck up.

Seems to me like the valvedrones can't into troubleshooting.

This shit happened before when Squeenix removed Deus Ex HR and put the director's cut in the store
Here at least you can still get the add-ons if you have the old version

New version is win 10 exclusive.

This "App store" is GFWL 2.0.

My bad, its state of decay 2 thats win 10.

as far as i can tell they changed the default resolution to something a lot of monitors dont support so people give up launching the game instead of looking for a cfg or ini

But goy, steam owners don't actually own the game. They were merely renting a license to access it. There is nothing wrong with the devs revoking that license to charge people again
We should all praise GabeN for allowing us continued access to our libraries and blessing us with his sales :^)

What else is new

Origin pls leave

This is pretty fucking terrible

and here we go

You're a retard too.

It makes me wonder why the newer devs think what they're doing is smart though. They're a lot smaller, and if they were larger people would be on their ass.

Buyfags got what they deserved.

Darn right. Gun get som of dose free sheit now.

When did this originally happen? And why aren't more people upset about this?

It's the same as with physical copies, you don't own the game, just the access to it and the disk on which the information is transported. You can own a physical copy of GTAIV and still get banned for life from the online function.
Also, the Origin pls leave is an obvious joke.
Now move on to be stupid elsewhere.

Downloading the game right now to check it out. I do "own" one of the DLC's for the game. According to a few reviews the game seems to work fine if you own a DLC for it and the problem is for people that don't have DLC. That alone is beyond fucktarded.

I'll drop an update in 1-2 minutes.

It seems counter-intuitive to bring up legitimate issues with Steam to their own support. Things like login errors or things not displaying properly are easy to fix, but they have no real reason to hold their own company accountable for scumbag moves like this.They're like those private teams of investigators that always manage to find no wrongdoing on the part of their employer.

Here's my take on it

basically, cool for a playthrough, but not really for more

Just noticed the screen shot doesn't show what it actually looks like on my screen either. I have black bars on all 4 sides of the video when playing. The screenshot only shows bars on top and bottom. I used the built-in steam screenshot function. Using print screen just gives me a full black picture.

I played through the entire game twice in a week and put it down. It's major flaw is that it's too easy. There's no real threat. No matter how many hordes attack you at once it's very difficult to die. Even if you purposely send a character to its death it still takes the zombies like 5 minutes to kill them. That's just terrible.

Deleted my last post because I still managed to post the wrong fucking default resolution picture. This is the default.

1024 x 768 Is it common for people to have an issue with this resolution? I'm not seeing what the problem is.

I did not notice this, haven't played the game in months, only launched it for 2 minutes after seeing this thread.
Now I see it starts in some strange resolution. I have a shitty 1366x768 monitor. What helped in my case was setting the game to 1920x1080 in the menu, game is now set to my monitor native res.

I've been playing State of Decay for a few days and its underwhelming.
Combat is shit, enemy AI is pretty bad and the looting and survival is bare bones.
That being said I keep playing it.
Also, I have this problem that the game always freezes while on a car running down zombies, is there a fix? (Not during missions but rather going around town and looting houses).

You playing the original or the paid update bullshit? I never had that problem in the original. I never had any framerate issues at all actually. It always ran pretty smooth for me.

Wew, any more info on the devs?

Im playing the YOSE, pirated cause im a neet

Wait, I still have the original State of Decay in my library. Does it not work anymore?

they are all muslim feminists with purple hair, also they voted against Brexit

It does work.

Someone gave me a key more than a year ago. I tried it out and it works. It dos start on a low resolution. 1920x1080 does have black bars on the side in the menu, but when you get in game it disappears.

Then what the hell are people complaining about? You have the original game if you don't want to play the updated version than just play that.

Damn. OP got me all hot and bothered over bullshit. I was hoping for some shady shit to bitch about. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Didn't play that version. Won't even pirate a fucking "update".

Never played the game before so a version with the DLC was tempting.
Anyways, anybody knows if the freezings are common?

the YOSE is worse than the original. Pirate the original with all DLC.

The "updated" version has shittier graphics, runs worse on all hardware, has more bugs, etc. The devs don't give a fuck which is why State of Decay 2, basically the same game but with co-op (which they promised the FIRST game would have before arbitrarily taking it out and saying they "cancelled" that functionality) is a Windows 10 exclusive. It'll probably have Denuvo, too, the fucking scumbags.

Fuck.
Pirated the YOSE because its the onr with the most seeders on kat.
Do you think my save is usable on the vanilla game?

Ditto.

Jesus, did I just date myself?

I mean, my copy's modded to shit, but it loads up and appears to be running fine, at least Breakdown. May as well mow down some of these fucking hordes while I'm in here… where's a truck…