System shock remake becomes a reboot

Oliver Mitchell
Oliver Mitchell

archive.is/5vf9x
"We felt that the amount of passion and resources that we are putting into this game elevated it beyond the expectations that someone would have for a remaster," CEO Stephen Kick said. "This is a full-fledged reboot of a classic game into something new."
Wew me lads

All urls found in this thread:

archive.is/5vf9x
systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8402.0
archive.is/KRX31

Lincoln Roberts
Lincoln Roberts

The first trailer looked like shit.

Leo Thomas
Leo Thomas

lmao

Blake Davis
Blake Davis

Can't wait. I love seeing peoples childhood memories become corrupted. It's become a new favorite hobby of mine.

Isaiah Hughes
Isaiah Hughes

Reboot is a term used as a defence, in a case they fuck it up they can shout "reboot so its not the same anymore" and hide behind that.
Happens with movies, comics and games.

This was to be expected, it's going to suck.

Kayden Harris
Kayden Harris

How the fuck could they fuck it up to begin with? Just fucking remake the models and textures, and maybe port it to a new engine if that is really necessary. Is making an 1:1 carbon copy of the original so hard?

Christian Thompson
Christian Thompson

I love seeing peoples childhood memories become corrupted.
become corrupted.
Chris Metzen please leave.

Landon Sanchez
Landon Sanchez

making a reboot when a sequel is already in development
I'm confuse

Mason Adams
Mason Adams

Is making an 1:1 carbon copy of the original so hard?

Yes, because then, like the original, it would be a game for a niche group, what they want now is that everyone buys it. They put more money in but more money has to be brought back.

The UI alone is something that would make your casual gamer piss the pants, aside from that the zero hand holding will make them call the game bad for not telling what you're supposed to do.

The crowd that loves a game like Dark Souls for not telling you everything will hate System Shock for not telling you everything, simply because System Shock is not such a well known game to the bigger group, those being the casual gamers.

I did expect that the UI would change, but this article is a sign of something bad.

Owen Brown
Owen Brown

What's the point of this if there is already a HD or whatver version being sold?

Ethan Baker
Ethan Baker

I'd really rather they just patch SS2 with a better last third and maybe some balance shit.

Landon Bennett
Landon Bennett

How the fuck could they fuck it up to begin with?
reboot doesn't need to loyal to the original, so it can (and will) have
-massive cazualisation
-shitty gameplay
-cinematic cutscenes behind every corner
-fags and trans issues everywhere
-muh evel white men
-stronk and independent womyn
-performance issues
-graaphiks

did I forget something?

Blake Torres
Blake Torres

We're doing a remaster.
Oh boy, was I happy. One of the great classics done again in modern tech so it's accessible to people who just can't stomach the dated look and feel.
Nah, bait and switch, gonna be a reboot now.
FUCK YOU
Faithful remaster would be great. Sequel or spiritual sequel, ok, could be good. But reboot means taking some memetic pieces out of the original work of art and constructing a bad joke around it.

Jackson Howard
Jackson Howard

This is a full-fledged reboot of a classic game into something new
into something new

It's going to be shit and spit upon everything the original stands for.

Logan Edwards
Logan Edwards

Money.

Brody Anderson
Brody Anderson

I doubt you could milk System Shock much, especially the first

Hudson Brooks
Hudson Brooks

In other words, they realised that no one who buys the game is going to have played the previous games, so they're increasing the audience.

Jason Barnes
Jason Barnes

Opinions?

Daniel Perry
Daniel Perry

And the justification they put forth is passion. They like System Shock so much they want to replace it. Now that's an innovative concept, innit ?

Owen Rogers
Owen Rogers

Between System Shock Portable and Enhanced, we don't need a third version. So, I'm okay with this. Probably not gonna be worth it though.

Christian Hall
Christian Hall

Bioshock

all of it

Jordan Phillips
Jordan Phillips

gross

BioShock is a more dumbed down System Shock 2, which itself is smaller than SS1.

teaser didn't look very good

Parker Lee
Parker Lee

exactly

everything that could go wrong with system shock is right there in every bioshock

Lucas Martinez
Lucas Martinez

So it's going to be a Bioshock Infinite type linear shooter? Can't wait.

Carson Rodriguez
Carson Rodriguez

"We felt that the amount of passion and resources that we are putting into this game elevated it beyond the expectations that someone would have for a remaster," CEO Stephen Kick said. "This is a full-fledged reboot of a classic game into something new."
Why did I have any hope?

Oliver Ortiz
Oliver Ortiz

why would you play a remake done on a completely different engine with no intention of recapturing the original's feel, design, or for that matter, anything that actually matters?

If you want to play system shock, play the enhanced edition. If you wanted a remake, you didn't want to play the game in the first place.

David Cox
David Cox

And they'll call it System Shock so it comes at the top of every google search instead of the original.

Lucas Martin
Lucas Martin

That's one kawaii as fuck Schlomo Shekelstein.

Isaiah Brown
Isaiah Brown

Not everything. You can bet your ass they'll play Shodan as a tranny, as it was male in the floppy version before it became female with the added voice acting in the CD version.
It'll be CIStem Shock.
The tragic tale of an AI that went insane from the PTSD of having been oppressed by its programmed gender.

Robert Perry
Robert Perry

So they're rebooting and casualizing classics so the nu-generation and casuals can claim "gamer" cred and say they played said classics. What's next chrono trigger made as a side scrolling platformer cause you know anything made by those pesky Japs is problematic

Luke Anderson
Luke Anderson

remembers all those faggots saying it will be good because it was the old System Shock devs

Sebastian Williams
Sebastian Williams

Into the trash it goes.

Thomas Stewart
Thomas Stewart

Same, I'm waiting to see Nu Crash crash and burn. although I always hated Crash I just want to see the fans pick it up and cringe.

Colton Hill
Colton Hill

Also Crash in Skylanders and the audience reaction was my E3 highlight.

Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts

hope
after Warren Kikester swallowed the koolade
hope

Josiah Bailey
Josiah Bailey

Why would they do this? They already had Bioshock

Gavin King
Gavin King

What is it with you edgy faggots on Holla Forums lately, holy shit.

Gabriel Long
Gabriel Long

edgy

Are you from Reddit or some shit? This is nothing

Alexander Reyes
Alexander Reyes

Of course, because you were born after all the good games came out.

Jonathan Hill
Jonathan Hill

If any of you expected anything not shit you havent been paying attention, it was doomed from the start be it a remaster or a reboot.

Nolan Bell
Nolan Bell

le rude man

Samuel Brooks
Samuel Brooks

what?

Caleb Jones
Caleb Jones

Reminder that Night Dive is still sitting on the source for System Shock instead of releasing it so we can just fix the interface and be done with it.

Seriously, as far as I'm concerned they don't even need to change the graphics. Just finish what the Enhanced Edition has started and it's good enough for me. I prefer those pixelated sprites way over the new "look mom, I know how do bloom" remake.

Ryder Jackson
Ryder Jackson

Reminder that Night Dive is still sitting on the source for System Shock instead of releasing
This. And as far as I know, this fuckers at the same time still didn't fix that CPU bug. I wonder what SS.org thinks about them.

They also have Turok 2 source-code which they too keep to themselves only.

Leo Garcia
Leo Garcia

Probably for the best in all honesty. OG SS had plenty of problems with its story and if they're going to be giving a fresh smack at it, a reboot of the ancient franchise will probably be better than a remake. Disappointment either way, but this way makes more sense from a narrative perspective at least so now they can play with the concept a bit rather than be dictated by the old plot.

So pretty much this is probably for the best. Maybe one of the few cases where a reboot is a good idea. Still needs to prove itself not shit, but there ya go.

Levi Carter
Levi Carter

They put more money in but more money has to be brought back
The catch is that they want to kikestart remake reboot

Luke Turner
Luke Turner

Didn't they also force the takedown of the SS resolution fixes?
The ones that made the game look like the Enhanced Edition?

Sebastian Thomas
Sebastian Thomas

the devs didnt know the difference between remaster and remake
wew

Parker Fisher
Parker Fisher

SS1 is archaic to the point of being unplayable by anyone who didn't start playing First-Person shooters or RPGs until mouselook became the norm.
b-but that's what makes it good
Not even gonna humour this line of thought.

Kevin Fisher
Kevin Fisher

Nice imaginary argument you won there

Elijah Gray
Elijah Gray

Don't play it then. It's just not for you, that isn't a bad thing, there are plenty of other games out there.

Jackson Jackson
Jackson Jackson

why did they make SHODAN look like Akuma?

Nicholas Foster
Nicholas Foster

devs realize they have something
they re-brand their game for maximum publicity since reboots became popular recently

Following the trend they have to utterly butcher the game making a shadow of it`s former glory, forever killing the IP for future generations

What happened to that Deus Ex mod/remake/whatever the fuck they tried to label thing? I just realized that it simply vanished from Holla Forums and everywhere

Easton Edwards
Easton Edwards

Revision? It ended up being shit.

Kayden Phillips
Kayden Phillips

Ill have to play the demo first, but this shit is shady and unnecessary.

Have people been pestering them about it?
Are there any licensing/rights issues in releasing it?
Just fucking ask for them on twitter or something.
Shits old, they aint going to fucking use it.
Still waiting for that fucking Exhumed port

it was shit

Kevin Diaz
Kevin Diaz

Might be good might be bad just got to wait and see what they change.

Jacob Watson
Jacob Watson

You know it has three to four different difficulty settings for each aspect of the game.

Luis Clark
Luis Clark

"Communists can never create anything good, only corrupt and destroy what is already there"

And the saying reads true once again.

Joseph Peterson
Joseph Peterson

Why do you use the term "IP" and not "game" or "franchise"?

Austin Cook
Austin Cook

Intellectual property.

Isaiah Young
Isaiah Young

This fucking autist again
Fuckoff with your semantics

Wyatt Wright
Wyatt Wright

Your original game isn't fucking going anywhere.
You can play system shock in its pristine condition right fucking now.
You can mod it to have modern control scheme or have huge ass resolution.
You can do anything.

But no, you cry like a bitch as your game was taking from you.
It is not, your game is with you.
It's just kids will get some other game with the same name, so fucking what?

You bitches are retards, and if you actually suffer over this, you truly deserve this.

That being said any reboots can fuck right off. It is always a try to cash on nostalgia, and never a good stand alone game.

Grayson Kelly
Grayson Kelly

shodan was a good strong independent womyn that needs no hacker! din du nofing! she waz goin to mantenance dat nite!
Male misogonistic Hacker mad her evul!

Caleb Hill
Caleb Hill

Have people been pestering them about it?
They mentioned it on systemshock.org once, see the OP of this thread: systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8402.0

We've also tracked down the source code to the original game and will be releasing it to the community once it's ready.

Samuel Murphy
Samuel Murphy

System shock is literally goldeneye 64. For its time it was ok but now it is unplayable garbage. The only thing ok-ish about it is "muh shodan" but then again, it was good for its time

Jason Ortiz
Jason Ortiz

Call me paranoid but if you think they aren't gonna start altering old games like that, you're stupid. Look what happened to San Andreas.

Thomas Ortiz
Thomas Ortiz

Rebooting the franchise with the same name isnt a negative thing goy
I wonder…

February
Theyll probably release it after the Kikestarter.

System Shock
Unplayable garbage
Kill yourself

Carter Rivera
Carter Rivera

Does it even matter?
The game looked like shit regardless.

Jace Howard
Jace Howard

psshh u thinc this is edgy, kid? dis aint nothing cuz i can be REAL edge, so gb2radot

What's next, you gonna call us megga-ass-faggots and recall stories of your ebin trips to the creepypasta wiki while browsing e/b/in?

Sweet, it's always nice to see dumbass "videogame" "studios" fall for the fucking reboot meme and fill everything with either severely streamlined, casualized mechanics or gameplay inspired by flavor-of-the-month fads, but we just HAVE to like it because THIS ISN'T OLD SYSTEM SHOCK YOU FUCKING NOSTALGIAFAG, GET WITH THE TIMES, DON'T YOU KNOW IT IS THE CURRENT YEAR TWENTY SIXTEEN????

wew
e e
wew

Matthew Ward
Matthew Ward

Best thing is this game is going to be filled with SJW garbage, I truly wonder why anyone had any hope for it in the first place

Isaac Richardson
Isaac Richardson

What makes you think this?

Grayson Butler
Grayson Butler

Don't forget the typical sob story if it doesn't sell well:

"IT WAS THE SOGGY KNEES AND THE POTRIOCHS WHO PUT US STRONG GAYME DEVELOPMYNT DOWN WITH THEM NOT BUYING GAYME THAT THEY DON'T LIKE pls buy gayme :("

Matthew Hughes
Matthew Hughes

making an "improved" reboot of a classic
calling it the same name
slowly replacing every bit of information you can get about the old game with the "improved" version
lowering standards and including political bullshit messages all around

there is no vidya revisonism going on goy

Bentley Cooper
Bentley Cooper

Warren is an lefty now.
He's also A FUCKING. TALENTLESS. HACK.
The only reason any of his games were good is that he had a team of people working on them. He even knows he did shit to make those games good, a quote of his: "There's a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person"

Andrew Price
Andrew Price

including political bullshit messages all around
Why are we taking this as a given?

Jayden Diaz
Jayden Diaz

But he isn't working on the remake as far as I know.

David Cruz
David Cruz

that's pretty funny honestly

Henry Flores
Henry Flores

archaic
unplayable
I played it for the first time a few years ago, had a fucking blast. It's your own fault if you're too shit to adapt to something. There's even a mouselook mod which eliminates the one major control hurdle.

Jason Jones
Jason Jones

Because the team making this game is infested with SJWs

Levi Taylor
Levi Taylor

I honestly don't believe this is going to happen. But if it does it will come with that same dull surprise of feeling your lowest standards falling even lower.
Surely they realise if they change the ideas in the game it won't be system shock anymore, right?

Easton Nguyen
Easton Nguyen

archive.is/KRX31

Jeremiah Barnes
Jeremiah Barnes

if keeping it system shock was ever the plan then they wouldn't need to reboot in the first place.

Christopher Morgan
Christopher Morgan

I said he wasn't working on the System Shock remake. I know that he's working on SS3.

Elijah Flores
Elijah Flores

Ah, I had that in my "archive.txt" file with the note "Warren working on new System Shock", it's my fault I check the article first.

Elijah Ramirez
Elijah Ramirez

remakes

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit