So Holla Forums, I've never been a huge fan o fighting games in my life. I've played them on the SNES and N64...

So Holla Forums, I've never been a huge fan o fighting games in my life. I've played them on the SNES and N64, as well as some SSB on GC and Wii U, but that's about it. Been craving some recently though so what are some good ones? I remember King of Fighters being pretty awesome.

I dunno OP but I am sure smart and can speak for an entire board of people because I sure am smart.

The best ones are Smash 4, Pokken and Lethal League and if anyone disagree's with this statement you're a (here is some picked from a list insult that I quickly grabbed from the list of Holla Forums buzzwords) because how can you not be a (here is some picked from a list insult that I quickly grabbed from the list of Holla Forums buzzwords) if you disagree with my commentary about the people on this site that's as well made as a Leafyishere video

See how fucking easy it is to make a comment like this you faggots I know you'll read this, you're not fucking special, you're just a fag with a high horse complex, sorry OP for venting it in your thread

Since your posting Laura you might as well curve your curiosity and torrent the SFV beta. The actual SFV game is unfinished and the recent mode hasn't come out yet so don't give capcom your money.

It has V-skill and V-triggers which work differently for each person. Ryu and alex can parry. Laura has a small projectile and a standing overhead like sean, but also has a projectile and mainly relys on command grabs to beat other characters. It is a game that relys on you knowing reactions that will happen because it is 8 frames. There is also not a lot of combo variations like previous SF because Capcom are a bunch of dick ass thieves.

GGXrd is a game that you are able to cancel and break out of attacks. a game where you mainly combo in the air Also there is a build meter that. very combo heavy and each character has a specific mechanic so it is very execution heavy overall. GGXrd is also considered less than predecessors because it is slower than the rest, the designs of new characters are also blazeblue and they keep releasing different successive versions so you should waid on that.
Yatagarasu is a game that tries to Ape parts of SF3 and SNK games. you have different levels of hop but the combo system feels like SF3 where you have to input fast enough in order. Also the parry system is very different because it is tied to a button so you are able to block and parry as well. there is also guard crush and overhead attacks as well. community is dead so good luck finding a public lobby. Also the menu and UI is shit.
KOF is a great game to start with too. It is different in the fact that it has many movement options with normal run and four kinds of hops, so you are able to attack from all distances and have many different situations. It is also very combo reliant and . The big KOF game s are 98, 2002, and XI. XIII is the recent one and it is great as well. XIV is coming out so you can't play it yet but it is looking solid gameplay wise.

I would recommend grabbing fightcade and MAME if you're going to want to get into the fighting genre

SF alpha 3 is fast but broken because of V-ism but you are able to have a lot of characters from street fighter so I would recommend it to find a favorite character. Others would recommend alpha 2 for balance. You are able to air block and use a section of your meter to use supers, with A-ism. V-ism is the broken custom combos that can kill you if you get caught in them.
SF3 is the least casual friendly. It has a mechanic called parry that can deflect every attack. It also has over head attacks to attack crouching opponents and it is the beginning of ex moves, which make your special moves more special.It is also a fast input so you are needed to put in inputs as fast as you can in order to perform combos. very offensive.
The Last blade 2 is the one of the best 2D weapon fighters. It has a mix between power and speed styles for each character. you can predict and parry another persons attack. You are also able to do desperation(powerful supers when you are weak) and super moves.You need to be careful with each attack because each move can take a lot of damage
Samurai Showdown is a 2D weapon fighter that. is the predecessor to Last Blade. it has a bar that builds up into a power mode, a bar to measure attack power of weapon, ducking, dodging to the other side, clashes, a lot of mechanics I'm still learning about. It is recommended to get SSVspecial for the characters and experiencing all mechanics of a SS game. people say that SS2 is the best though.
Waku Waku 7 is a fun fighting game that continuously builds up special meter so you are encouraged to bust out supers as much as possible.
Galaxy Fight is a momentum based fighter. Not any specials but you are encouraged to run and attack the opponent to get more damage.
Martial Masters is an unknown fighting game that deliberately apes SF3 animations. you are able to do ex moves but you are also able to send out a shadow of yourself doing special moves.

You always try to find the ones you find most interesting and catch your eye and download them though.

I'm definitely wrong in all of these in some ways so hopefully someone else will come in and correct me.

I can't really recommend any of the newer fighting games. Pokken is really fun and feels both fresh and like an old school fighting game where it has unabashed wildness.

Yah…the mainstream picks are weak right now.

SF5 feels like it had the skeleton of a really good game. But they chickened out on the v-trigger stuff and so it feels like a weird afterthought. There are also a shitload of technical problems (the 8 frame delay that is NOT being used to buffer online lag, it's just because they fucked something up in development).

Also the roster feels underwhelming.

why does laura make me ooga booga?

Don't see a post for Melty Blood, but the most recent one is on Steam and has a good translation. Don't bther trying to understand the story, as it's based on another media that not many people read which is a shame since the same writer basically made babby's first action VN and this one is better but the inputs are simple, carry mostly entirely between characters, and it's just fun to play even if you're not very good.

Skullgirls is also notable for having a really good tutorial, to say nothing about the quality of the game itself it's a fine starting point for better titles.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check some of these out definitely (spent way more time that I'm willing to admit on Euro Truck Simulator 2 just now)… What about Killer Instinct though? The new one that is.

KI needs W10/an xbone which isn't worth it in the slightest. To me Guilty Gear and Melty Blood are the most fun fightan out there right now

I have a W10 machine

pls no bully

You can absolve your sins by playing GG

Fuck it. I'm stealing this thread. Has anybody played this? How is it? Weapon based fightan, I don't know. I was thinking of finally picking it up off the PSN. The fact that it's now completely uncensored is a plus too.

Xrd Revelator is great and UNIEL is coming out soon for the PC.

Xrd is OK, and it gets weak billing. Never even heard of UNIEL. By mainstream I mean things which get a finals on sunday at major tournaments.

Download Fightcade or Mame and try it for yourself.

There are gorillions of fighting games available for free on PC through emulating arcade software.

Check the catalogue for Fighting game threads or go to /vg/ to find a general, they'll have downloads for programs like Fightcade and links to roms of games that you can play. You can play King of Fighters, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom 1, and other good games in just 10 minutes.

Fighting games used to suck on PC years ago but now its the go to platform, you can play pretty much anything for free. Ones you'd have to buy to play online are KoF13, Killer ItStinks, SFV (don't buy it), and Guilty Gear revelator among others. There's no need to buy a new game though just try out the older versions which will be easy to acquire for free to try it out.

UNIEL is a new game by the people who made Melty Blood. I haven't played it myself but I assume its fun because MB was

Its fun but if you are the kind of guy who wants to learn games at a high level this is not the game for you. There are some annoying and easy infinites which break the competitive nature of the game, but are irrelevant to people playing for fun.

Samurai shodown is similar and also weapon based too!

none of them, theyre all the same. just focus on fan service

For pc there's emulation, Skullgirls, Ultra SF4, and Killer Instinct. KoF XIV is getting a pc release though, but I don't know when. And I assume Xrd Revelator too, but Xrd Sign is dead on pc. The rest are either forgotten, like MKX, or meh, like SF5. And it looks like UNIEL is coming to pc too.

If you're looking for a fighter to learn just go with a capcom one like Street Fighter I guess.

Killer Instinct is fine. The only real complaint is that it's win10 exclusive. You'll see people salty over the season 3 balance changes, but they need to git gud.

UNIEL introduces a tug of war of sorts called GRD. Basically, taking offensive actions gets you GRD, being a little bitch and trying to run away loses you GRD, but defending well actually gets you more GRD than just wailing away at someone's guard. Offensive actions include landing solid hits and simply moving forward, so cornering your opponent wins you the tug of war. You can also hold down a button to charge GRD at a very fast rate, but forces you to stand still. It translates to you giving up a chance to follow up, or calling your opponent a bitch because he gave you enough time to charge your power like it's DBZ. Backdashing, even teching away from your opponent is considered a negative action that loses you GRD. However, defending well earns you GRD while punching someone's block does not. And you can use a high risk high reward push block shield to earn GRD even faster and throw off someone's blockstrings. So the flow of the game usually awards the more offensive player the first vorpal, and the person who got cornered the second vorpal if they can defend well.

Every 15 seconds, the game awards whoever has more GRD a "Vorpal state" which is a 10% damage buff that can be consumed for a time stopping Roman cancel that can be used to extend combos, used to alpha guard, cancel specials so you can do classic shoto setups like throw out a fireball and then uppercut them, or even just used to see if your opponent pressed a button. When you consume your vorpal state, you get however much GRD you had at the time converted into super meter, but your GRD returns to zero. So if you have a huge lead and you're pretty much guaranteed to win the next vorpal, don't consume the one you already have. Or do, and save your 200 meter super for a big threat.

And finally, your GRD meter can be destroyed for a short time. The push block shield is risky to use. The benefits are great, but if you fuck up and get hit or grabbed while the shield is deployed, you lose all your GRD, cannot gain any GRD while it remains broken, and one of your buttons just stops working. In order to do actions like shield and assault, which is a low angle forward hop you can attack out of, you need to press D, or the 4th button. If your GRD meter is broken, tough shit, you can't use it anymore. You can also voluntarily break your own meter out of desperation. If you do an alpha guard without vorpal, you use 100/200 super meter and break your GRD. You can also do a rather shitty reversal that consumes 200 meter and breaks your GRD, but you can only do that if you're at 30% health or less. Nobody uses it because it leaves you at absolutely nothing if it doesn't kill.

It's one of the most fun systems I've toyed with in any genre of game in a while, because it really gets you thinking and it encourages you to perform better on both offense and defense. It doesn't hurt that the game feels fantastic to play despite being a four button fighter that doesn't use overly complicated motions. No Geese pretzels here. It's easy to pick up and learn, and all the characters feature a gameplan that's easy enough to execute out of the gate but has tons of potential. The skill floor is low enough for anyone to do well, the skill ceiling is pretty high, and gets very complicated when you start paying attention to both your characters and how the GRD war is going. The sprites are very high quality and the music is mostly great. Unfortunately, most of the cast are parodies of anime tropes, so if you're not a filthy weeaboo degenerate, you'll probably hate half the cast because you won't know which character is created to make fun of what. The cast is small but there aren't any clones among the cast, everyone's got something of their own going on.

Overall a 9/10, I think it was better than GGXrd Sign, and I can't wait for UNIEL[st].

Shit that does sound like fun. I might pick up UNIEL when it hits Steam but I'm afraid it might die in a week

Play KoF13.

It's probably gonna die in a week because everyone who's interested in UNIEL knows [st] is in the works.

I dunno, if it's cheap enough it might be worth it. Plus, it's a French Bread game. Melty has a tiny but diehard community, you will always find the same 100 people playing the game. UNIEL works the same way. You'll probably hate that all 100 people in that community are leagues ahead of you, but that's how it goes.

I don't think it'll die in a week, it's more if it has a community at all in my opinion. I don't think Xrd Sign started out strong either, and now it's pretty dead from what I know. Same thing for Revelator probably, when we do get it (a year later or more) I'd be surprise if it has a strong community to find online matches for. BlazBlue is the same way. But who knows? I'd love to be wrong.

USF4, KI2013 if you have win10, Skullgirls, and SF5 are the strongest communities on pc right now. But SF5 isn't worth getting. I also forgot to mention that PC is getting Tekken 7 earlier as well at some point. For me personally, I play USF4, KI2013, and sometimes I'll use fightcade for stuff like KoF98 and 3rd Strike. Unless playing online doesn't concern you.

Whatever you do though, just stay away from MKX on pc. Netherrealms pretty much gave up on it and it hasn't been patched in a long time.

Also, UNIEL is "Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late" if you want to look it up. I don't think anyone said what it stands for.

One thing to add: Don't expect an airdash-based fighter like Melty out of this. Almost every grounded normal is air unblockable, anti-airs are strong and most characters don't even have a doublejump (and nobody has a real airdash). And everything has huge range, halfscreen footsies are pretty common.

ded online but its good

Who are these semen demons?

hitomi with mila's haircut and leifang with lisa's haircut

Oh, by the way. I don't think you mentioned if you want to learn a fight stick or not, but it's personal preference so don't feel like you need to get one. I mostly play 6 button fighters and am also an oldfag who played in arcades so fight sticks just work for me. But I've seen people use pads fine, and I'll use the ps4 controller for MKX when I'm at my buddy's with no problem.

If you do get one but have trouble with it you just gotta keep playing and practicing with it. All there really is to it. Same for getting good at fighters in general.

Dude what

I just noticed no one mentioned the new Mortal Kombat. Is it that shit?

I mentioned it a few times as MKX (mortal kombat x). Sorry, guess you don't know the abbreviations, just assume everyone does. But on PC it's shit yeah. Not patched, forgotten, etc. Netherrealms and WB just doesn't care about PC players.

Console it's fine though, when I go over to my buddy's sometimes we'll play it on his PS4 like I said above.

Indeed I missed the abbreviation. Thanks again!

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when I'm playing this, but it's pretty fun.

Oh yeah I already have an arcade stick that I use for shmups and fightan. Would you say UNIEL is like a mixture of GG and MB, cause thats the image I'm getting from your description and the videos I've watched. How is the character balance by the way, is everyone viable or are there characters that are absolute suffering to play with/against?

5 is better as a fighting game

Where is a good place for an absolute beginner?

Honestly just find an older game that looks fun and play it. It's that simple.

I'd recommend something like Soul Calibur or Dead or Alive 2 on th Dreamcast just because the execution barrier of something like KoF could be off-putting for a beginner. Then move on to whatever looks fun and get good at it.

You linked me, but I'm not one of the anons recommending UNIEL unfortunately. Have not played it. Hopefully someone else will answer your question though.

I don't want to sound like I'm shilling microshit, but Killer Instinct 2013 is really easy to pick up and play with a combo system that is easy to understand and an okay tutorial but it's only with Jago. Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is also said to have a really good tutorial, but since it's not on PC I haven't played it.

HUE HUE HUE

Well, I got SkullGirls on the Steam sales and pirates GG for now. I went through all the SG tutorials, and I don't know how it ranks with other fighting games in terms of complexity but for me that shit's a ton to wrap my head around. Game's fun though.

Game's a bit of its own thing and I wouldn't compare it to GG. Mixes Melty defense mechanics with KOF pressure with chains and limited rebeats, multiple chargeable normals, halfscreen footsies and their unique tug-of-war/screen freeze mechanic which puts interesting priorities on your actions. Meter carries over between rounds, unlike most anime games. Most characters are pretty limited on offense as well, standing overheads are not very common & sort of slow, command grabs are rare.
Balance falls in line with most recent releases: Some characters are very strong, some are rather lacking. If I remember the UNIEL tierlist right it's about like this:

S: Merkava, Gordeau > Carmine, Waldstein
A: Eltnum, Linne > Vatista, Yuzuhira
B: Orie, Hyde, Hilda > Seth, Nanase
C: Chaos, Akatsuki

Anything at Seth or below is not really a good character.

SG has one of the best tutorials.

Aye, but I sat down and went through them all. By the time I got to the end I forgot the start. I'll try to git gud and see how it goes.

Well, this thread seems like it'd be a good enough place to ask.

I feel like playing some Street Fighter after ignoring it for 20+ years. I know I could just get Ultra Street Fighter 4, but I like to play various games from any given series. Doing a bit of research, I figure I'll play:

- Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
- Super Street Fighter IV Ultra
- Some of the other games eventually, like the Alpha series.

I hear Street Fighter V isn't that great right now, and is a DLC factory anyway, so I'll wait until they release an Ultra edition with all the DLC or something.

What about Street Fighter 1 though? Yeah I know I can ignore it, but I don't want to. I'd like to play around with it a bit too, but there's quite a few versions of it. What's the best version of it to play?

Is it possible to actually be any good at these games with a mouse + keyboard combo? I got a pretty fancy mechanical keyboard so multiple key presses aren't an issue.

This thread got me kinda interested in UNIEL. I'll give it a look, at least.

HD Remix is not the same game as Super Turbo. Sirlin tried to rebalance it, which is obviously a controversial thing to do to a game that old and respected. It also looks crap. Play ST on Fightcade or something instead.

Yes, and there's nothing you won't be able to do that you could do on a stick. In terms of the actually difficult part of execution (advanced techniques) it's easier to do some things and harder to do other things.

THIRD STRIKE
H
I
R
D

S
T
R
I
K
E

my first, picked it up about four years ago, and my fave to this day

gb2>>>/fighters/

KOFXIV is coming soon on PS4 (maybe PC?)

I recommend sf4 over sf5. At least sf4 is an finished despite its flaws.

SF4 Omaga mod
>>>/fighters/