Discuss

Discuss

those are video games

Don't wanna

They all seem to have some shade of orange in their cover art

They are old

Yeah, I could do with some doubles.

I like Quake, but I gotta go wit my dawg Unreal because of that atmosphere.

You're trying way to hard to fit here boy.

Good videogames.

what about them?

Quake > Half-Life > Unreal

Is that what we're doing?

Half-Life>Quake>>>Unreal

Prove me wrong.

Gonna go with Unreal for my favourite, even though it's the only one I never finished.

I loved the atmosphere and the open feel to the levels, and the sense of adventure, whereas Quake always felt more artificial and Half Life, while also amazing (and better than Unreal if I'm honest) didn't give me that sense of wonder that Unreal did.

I should go back and replay Unreal and finish it.

Quake >>> Unreal >> Half-Life

Except it's literally the opposite if we are counting single player.

I'm too hyped for Quake Champions xD

Ironic shillposting is still shillposting

I'm playing nquake and I was just wondering about keybindings for switching weapons.

Is there any way quake players have it set up specifically?

Oh, in that case
Doom >>>> Quake > Unreal = Half-Life

I don't know where you stopped, user, but you probably missed some amazing things.

Where did you stopped playing user? The game just gets better and better with every level you finish.

Half-life has a far better single player than quake user and Unreal single player is far better than quakes as well.
Quake is just a more shit Doom.

You must be retarded.

unreal gold is mediocre, all the weapons are awful, movement feels terrible, maps are fantastic looking, terrible playing and far too spacious for their own good. Lack any sort of meaningful or interesting game play directing. Music is very nice.

Quake levels remind me of more hostile zelda dungeons, everything feels like it is there to kill you, combat is fast, hectic and deadly, weapons are all great. Excellent enemy variety, levels are excellently differentiated and present tons of interesting game play scenarios and mini-puzzzles. Great soundtrack too.

HL1 is OK. Enemy variety is good, but lots of the weapons are kinda boring. AI is easily exploited, frequently kills their own partners, some of the level design towards the last portion of the game leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of crates, uninteresting decoration.

this is what tasteless retards believe. please stick to errant signal.

It has worse enemy and map design. It is also a bit slower to.

Have you like ever played it

no, the enemy design is built around exploiting 3D space and integrates the games mechanics better than doom did. it also involves the more elaborate level design.
no, some of it is flawed, episode 4 isn't the best around, but overall it is far more competently designed than doom, and especially doom 2. It effectively experiments and explores with 3D space.

Yes, I haven't played Quake 2 but after 1 I didn't. It was far less enjoyable than doom. It is why you almost never hear people talk about the single player.

that's a pretty huge leap in logic. quake 2 is a completely different game anyway, irrelevant to bring it up.

Half life and Unreal were far better games with far better AI, level design,weapons, ect.

3 of the worst fps games next to doom

Quake 2 came out before those.

A really good game.
Unpolished game with a lot of potential, improves the FPS formula created by Doom.
Predecessor to one of the causes of the decline of the whole FPS genre.

half-life had much more inconsistent AI, with some rooms literally being hollowed cubes in the late game, absolutely embarrassing level design at points. The marine AI is also pathetic at times, never quite seen an AI that can drop a grenade in the middle of itself and 3 of its teammates and stand on top of it as it slowly rotates to shoot at you. Pathetic display.

The skaarj have decent AI, but the movement in unreal cripples and decent flow combat might have. Otherwise, every other enemy is pathetic in Unreal.

Your other statements you've made no elaboration on, but I've made fair criticism of them previously, you're free to try and refute but I don't think you're here to actually talk about anything.

But that's what makes the difference between Quake and Unreal. Quake was made to be like a huge dungeon while in Unreal you have to survive in a hostile planet. It needs to be spacious.

Hell no. Quake weapons felt terribly watered down compared to Doom. The double-barrel shotgun doesn't give you the satisfaction that Doom gave to you; also Unreal has a better variety of weaponary.

In Quake you have to go to kill a final boss that doesn't even fight you. In Unreal at least you can survive defeating the Queen. That at least makes things intresting while exploring the world.

I agree with the puzzles in Quake though. That's something dungeon'ish that can't be compared.

It did. I don't see the point.

That doesn't make the game bad. I guess I should hate Doom and quake for popularizing multiplayer.

The AI in half life is far better. You bringing up random exceptions doesn't change that.
Half life was praised for it's AI back in the day and was considered the best AI for it's time in a shooter.

Here is the thing.
Doom popularized multiplayer. Quake improved it.
The only thing Half-Life has is enemy AI. And while Half-Life 2 improved Half-Life, the damage it did to the whole FPS genre was massive, just like Halo.

unreal isn't a survival game. I'm talking objective design, not what happens in your head, but what everyone can experience. It's a typical fps, but replaces controlled combat scenarios with rather empty interiors and empty, low detailed spacious exteriors, neither of which are particularly fun for combat.

bassy, appropriate kickback, and well balanced to have definite amounts to take out enemies. What didn't you like about them? Enemies in Doom take about an equivalent of the amount of damage, sometimes more considering nails are the closest thing to bullets.

that's one level, a flawed one, bosses in quake 1 were more of a gimmick. It does nothing to refute the point in how Quake directs players through clever combat scenarios filled with traps, light puzzles, and manages to be rich in variety.

variety, maybe? A lot of it is overlap of quake weapons, which all fill defined niches that give the player a clear area to focus on, and allow designers to draw out very specific types of game play, leading back to my point at how quake is a far better directed experience.

I don't care what journos said then, I don't care what they say now. AI in HL1 is flawed and that is one of the more iconic exploits that most players have seen. The AI has its moments with some interesting infighting between factions, but otherwise they're a functional AI. Quake's far more defined and purposeful AI is better at creating combat scenarios that bring out hectic engagements where you can strategically control the flow of combat. Some custom maps really shine with this, such as Nyarlathotep's first map.

I'm gonna jump in and say for starters, nothing ever acts like it got shot, enemies just stand there and do this slow, awkward animation.

you aren't doing enough damage then, enemies flinch if they get hit hard enough. usually a double barrel shotgun shot does it for ogres, some, like, fiends are meant to be danced around. Creates more interesting flow than say, doom's closest equivalent, the pinky demon, who compared to the player moves at a crawl and is only remotely threatening in packs.

I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA

Yes, and by 'flinch,' you mean do this really slow awkward information that is not the reaction of someone/something that just got shot.

But half-life was still a great game despite that so I wont hate on it because other people made worse clones.

AI in half life is still objectively better than quake

How the fuck did I switch 'animation' with 'information'

Where is my brain tonight

You guys remember how you can wall jump and shit in Unreal? I'm really glad that sort of stuff caught on with some of the AAA shooters like cod and stuff.

I really like the new Unreal Tournament movement mechanics and would love to see more stuff like this in the future. I hope it catches on even more is what I'm saying.

Man, I mean when the new doom came out I was feeling pretty sorry for myself as a doom fan and all but if anything we got off easy, I realized this when I saw that the Quake guys got it WAY worse.

UT4's multiplayer is better than any of the previous games, really did not expect that to be the case given that it is the current year

I finally got Quake 1 to play with the original soundtrack, so I'm going thru that. I'm digging the vertical feel of the levels, and I'm wondering if there's any recent games that do anything like that.

Nothing comes to mind and that's depressing as fuck.

Putting half life with quake and unreal is an insult to quake and unreal.

These three games are fun.

Not half life

Care to elaborate on why HF isn't fun?

I fucking loved UT though. Played it for years, mostly Instagib.

Too many forced cutscenes and one really big unskippable one at the beginning. And started the cinematic games trend. Fuck half life, fps should never have cutscenes.

I remember having the disc and box for that game (not sure how I got it) 15 years ago. Installed it, played for like 10-15min, then something happened and I was like "alright fuck this" and promptly uninstalled it. Never touched it again.

Guess I should hate Doom for causing CoD plebs.

Why not give it another try? Sounds like you only have a vague memory of not liking something. AT least if you play it again you can hate it with purpose

Doom had nothing to do with modern shooters being shit. Half life directly has elements of what modern shooters still do today.

DOOM directly has elements of what modern shooters still do today.

user, I'm not arguing the FACT that Half-Life started some cancerous elements in gaming.

I'm arguing that it's fun.

I'm also willing to argue that you're a joyless cynic, but you can always play with other peeps

Yeah sure, modern shooters sure took notes from doom.

And im arguing that it is complete shit even for its time. Ive played through the game twice, it is the same boring shit you can find in most shooters made post 2007.

So i should hate Mario for starting platformers and GTA for the open world games?.

You fucking retards always do the same shit. Starting a genre =/= starting a trend.

But of course, Mario started the trend that all characters in a platformer should jump.

Nice strawman, nigger.

Neither Mario nor GTA started their respective genres. There were platformers before Mario and open world sandbox games before GTA. They just popularized their genres, which is practically the same thing as starting a trend, isn't it?

I like Unreal and Quake but I can't stand playing Half-Life now. It's so bleak and dull, mainly thanks to shit light work, it's also pretty linear.

Unreal 2 was special kind of garbage too

Nice 7 nigger.

HL2 Deathmatch is superior to all of them.
shame it dies after CS Go released

Sure, but is being an autistic nigger and changing the subject entirely. I am arguing that half life started the cinematic games trend.

*died

Is there anyone still playing it on Steam?.

I'm sure there are still a couple dozens of people who still play it, but it just won't be the same as before.
HL2DM is at it's best when it's total mayhem, not when it's filled with a bunch of try-hards.

Of course, it just has the good elements. Half Life has a lot of those good elements too, but it also has awful ones that DOOM doesn't have like a focus on story, hitscan enemies, and a general focus on realism over fun (relative to doom).

Rocket Arena was also fun to play.

Half-Life is very bland and lifeless despite the fact it tries to be cinematic. Or maybe because of that? Games back then had mechanics of entities naturally interacting with each other and masterfully designed levels you can interact with like in DN3D. Also, the nonexisting lighting works making everything look sterile

Same with Half-Life 2. If you see past the tech demo the game is, it's just linear shooter with gimmicks

Unreal 3 when

Arena dueling aside, were there any shooters (1st or 3rd-person) with the intricate rat's nest level design of Quake/Unreal's contemporaries made after the mid-2000s? I can't really think of anything that's made me want an automap (speaking of, I can't remember any that even HAD automaps!).

This is really where Half-Life hurt, I don't actually mind "cinematicness" or whatever, as long as the core play is still there, and the tactical combat is really pretty good. But HL1 is by far the guiltiest party so far as pushing the linear shooter campaign design trend, though it shares that guilt with some others (Raven [SoF, ST:EF, SW:JK], Ritual [SiN, FAKK2], Monolith [Shogo, NOLF, AvP]…) and the shooters of that period were actually not that bad, it was by far the biggest thing to legitimize such linear and overscripted level design.

So how about that Blood, eh?

There any good mods for Unreal? Level packs, campaigns, whatever. I'm getting a bit of an itch for Unreal.

My initial reaction to that dykeish G418 redesign (I hope to god that's not official) was disgust, but on second thought she has an uncanny resemblance to Fatal1ty.

Aside from the dyejob and the smaller bust, it actually looks less dykeish to me.

So what did you guys think of Return to NaPali?

I kind of liked the little diary updates at the end of each segment.

Kinda shittier than the base game with some of the weapon designs and enemy placements, otherwise it's pretty much what U2 should have been.

I hate HL

This should be filtered to "I don't know how to start a discussion"

You're 85 replies late faggot.

I thought that was Milo for a second.

It's never too late to be a faggot

Halo didn't improve the fps genre. Only good thing about it was its ai but that's a moot point when the rest of the game isn't exactly set up to provide one with any semblance of challenge. At least half life didn't do that hide until you heal bullshit or 2 gun limits.

Everything about halo 1 was bad except the ai, vehicles were clunky and everything from the gunplay to the gravity to the movement speed to the health system was slow, easy, and tiresome. Shit game and its few redeeming qualities don't make up for how poor the rest of the game is or its effect on the industry. I'm glad the halo series got what it deserved.

Bungie became an uberjew sellout and made destiny for activision, and 343i "ruined" the already bad series. That is poetic justice at its finest.

Um no, not right now at least, deathmatch and ctf is kind of limiting. Mechanically, eh, I actually hate its weapon balance but I've always hated UT weapon balance. The rockets move too fast and can kill in 1 hit, the link gun pull is basically a death sentence and the weapon is already powerful enough to begin with, they really need to rebalance that gun, the shock combo is as it has always been overpowered and spamming shock combos into every fucking corner is far too effective of a strategy, the slide is stupid and I hate it. The translocator is fucking retarded as it always has been and it shits on map designs.

Honestly I think its kind of gay, they say they are taking input from the community but when "the community" on the forums consists of a bunch of whiny ut 99 elitists, whom they often refuse to listen to anyway that's not very comforting. The team seems to have their heads up their asses, changing mechanics around constantly without understanding the formula of the original ut 99 or that of the other games in the series.

who cares? The game's art style looks like crap anyway.

I care when I want to aim at another player and not a muddy texture that's still loading and I mistake it for movement.