SHMUP General

WARNING
A HUGE THREAD IS APPROACHING FAST
SHMUP GENERAL

Steam Shit Summer Sale Edition, as SHMUPs are too obscure to get torrents, let alone getting torrents of the updated versions, and GOG won't let SHMUPs in their catalog for some reason

MECHA Ritz: Steel Rondo is out for seven eurodollars, no sale reductions
store.steampowered.com/app/463070/
(go get it, it's really fucking good, it's like Recca and Battle Garegga conceived a Yagawa-approved child perceptible by mortals. If you're that much of a poorfag, get the original freeware version)

(Following prices are in euros)
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITON: -80% 10.00 2.00
store.steampowered.com/app/285440/
(YOU HAVE NO FUCKING EXCUSE TO NOT GET CRIMZON CLOVER FOR TWO BUCKS)

Strania -The Stella Machina-
store.steampowered.com/app/407380/
-40% 14.99 8.99

Raiden IV: OverKill
store.steampowered.com/app/323460/
-75% 14.99 3.74

Mushihimesama
store.steampowered.com/app/377860/
-50% 19.99 9.99
The Matsuri pack is available for 11.49 and includes the V1.5 mode DLC

The Tale of ALLTYNEX
store.steampowered.com/sub/39160/
-50% 19.99 9.99
Contains Kamui, RefleX, and ALLTYNEX Second (each available seperately for 3.99)

REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
store.steampowered.com/app/313400/
-75% 9.99 2.49

Astebreed
store.steampowered.com/app/283680/?snr=1_5_9__300
-70% 14.99 4.49

Ikaruga
store.steampowered.com/app/253750/?snr=1_5_9__300
-50% 8.99 4.49

Deathsmiles
store.steampowered.com/app/314180/
-30% 19.99 13.99

RefRain - prism memories -
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/
-20% 14.99 11.99

The Hurricane of Varstray -Collateral Hazard-
store.steampowered.com/app/416380/
-80% 15,– 3,–

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours
store.steampowered.com/app/377870/
-30% 45,99 32,19
"It's better than nothing" - Con Man, creator of Mega Man and Mighty Number 5.6

ESCHATOS
store.steampowered.com/app/378770/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_2
-35% 14.99 9.74

WOLFLAME
store.steampowered.com/app/448160/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_5
-10% 5.99 5.39

eXceed 3rd Jade Penetrate Black Package
store.steampowered.com/app/207400/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_2
-50% 5.99 2.99

Post 1cc's, ask for help, strategies and reccomendations, post some shmup tunes, argue about DRM, etc.

I'd post the link to a starter SHMUPMAME pack some user posted previous thread, but I forgot to save it.

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/download.html
store.steampowered.com/app/367140
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't wanna fugg a 2hu

but seriously, what's a good entry point for this genre?

You might want to start with games with easy modes, like Crimzon Clover, Eschatos, the CAVE ports (Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, soon Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu) and then move to higher difficulties
Doujin games like the ALLTYNEX trilogy, Cho Ren Sha 68K, RefRain, Strania, MECHA Ritz, and Touhou are also generally easier compared to Raizing and CAVE games.

IMO Cho Ren Sha 68K is a good SHMUP to start with. It is free, the stages are fairly easy to memorize, there's no overly complicated mechanics, the difficulty curve is not too steep, you frequently get shield power-ups and bombs to make up for your mistakes, and the game itself is pretty good too.
www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/download.html

If you're into more retro shooters which involve obstacles and more power-ups, you could try the Gradius Collection on a PSP emulator.

So I take it Dariusburst CS isn't good?

Just got Raiden 4. This is fucking incredibly fun.

I got Danmaku Unlimited 2, -80% for 0.99. It's surprisingly decent for something with such a generic title.

the only point against it that i can see is not your weapons and armor leveling down upon dying

it seems pretty good otherwise

It's good, much better than the original PSP version, it's just that it's way more expensive than most SHMUPs on Steam right now due to all the content it has, and I'd hoped to see a bigger discount.
Granted, CS Mode is a glorified expanded challenge mode, but the road to 1cc'ing a SHMUP involves tons of replays anyways, so providing 189 challenges using different sets of ships, rules, and stages seems like a good training exercise to me. AC mode lets you play with a dual-screen setup just like in the arcades, and there's plenty of time to invest in CS that makes it worth the price. But it's a hefty price.

Are you trying to play Another Chronicle in MAME or something?

Some user sometime ago recommended that game
store.steampowered.com/app/367140

Was he joking / full of shit or is it actually decent?

Thanks for reminding me that I want GOG dead just as much as Steam.

why won't they?

its just a drawing

Something about a company like CAVE not being well-known enough (really?) and how they're not a good fit for their finely curated library of games like Gone Home.

I thought they just dumped any game they could get their hands on? I didn't know their epicurean taste were too good for pleebs who like shumps, apparently.

Although the graphics are doujin-tier, it looks like it might be decent
Not like you have a lot of to lose when it costs 2 bucks anyways

There were some posts about it here and there. Here's from Degica:

We've contacted GOG a few times about getting our titles on their platform
Below is an email from GOG from a week or two ago in regards to Mushihimesama. We'll be sending them some info on Monday and hopefully they'll choose to take the title. If they don't, we'll work on releasing a DRM free version via the Humble Store.

"Hi Name,

We’ve discussed Mushihime Sama internally and because we’re so close to launch we’re not sure if we’ll be able to make it for launch, especially because this will be launching around the same time as our Fall promo. We’re also not totally convinced that the game can perform so well for as as it appears to be relatively unknown outside of Japan.

Because of this what we’d like to do is to wait and see how the launch on Steam goes and then see if it makes sense for us to add the game at a later stage.

Best of luck with the Steam launch!

All the best,
Name"

What do you all think of Astebreed?

's cool, locking on to everything and slashing all that remains to bits is fun, but I turn the chatter off every time, my ears can only take so much of screaming lolis
there's thankfully a whole lot less cinematic bullshit compared to Ether Vapor

Looks more like Steam Shill General, tbh fam.

Nobody shuts the fuck up. Ever. I can't concentrate on goddamn anything because everyone is ching chong changing nonstop since the moment I start up the game. It also gives you a shield that allows you to take a metric ton of hits and it regenerates, which is a surefire sign that the developer has no fucking clue what they are doing.

I'm fairly sure you could turn down the voice volume in the options

whats the best shmup on vita?

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours
You probably have to import it. Text is probably in Japanese (though it's not that important in a SHMUP) AC mode might be hard to see due to the Vita display screen and insane letterboxing, but the Vita version is the only physical version of the game anyways.
Fun to play, loads to do, and you can carry it anywhere.

I dropped it very fast. It tried to hard to be spectacular for my taste. It does the same shit as in Ether Vapor, constant annoying camera shifts.

Is the Mushihimesama PC port good enough that it warrants a purchase? I haven't really noticed that much of a problem playing it on MAME

It used to have issues with incorrect FPS causing issues with replays at launch, but it's perfect now. It's also the only legit way to play 1.5 without spending double to triple digits on an import 360 copy. Also has online leaderboards with replays if you care about that shit. I'd say it's worth the 10-12 bucks asking price.

Still the magnum opus of Gradius games.

you are not fooling anyone

Also, D'ohDownPatchMe DiaperCatSoup Steam port coming somewhere this fall

Cave games are fucking trash, son.