FRIDAY'S BI-WEEKLY TRIPLE TREAT THREAD

SHITPOSTING EDITION

ITT: we post video game magazines, reviews and articles from near the dates in which the selected video games were published. We will also begin discussing the games in question.

Next week we vote for a new set of three games.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:

SPYRO: YEAR OF THE DRAGON

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 2

UNINVITED

Link to list of previously played games and OP pasta: pastebin.com/wWAmDss4

I'll be following some user's recommendation of making three anchor posts.

Reply to this post for Spyro discussion

Reply to this post for Shin Megami Tensei discussion

Reply to this post for Uninvited discussion

So does it have to be PC uninvited, or is the NES version fine

ogay
mark is gay

Any version is fine mate. Same with Shin Megami Tensei.

I will never get gud at demon negotiation.

I will never get gud at archaic spoop simulator.

I played the fuck out of this thing. I missed the sparx levels altogether when I was small, so all the really nice extra features, including a larger pickup range and sparx pointing in the direction of remaining booty is great. I'm only about 60% through at the moment.

I think the different characters bring about some nice gameplay variety (which the game already has plenty of). It really surprises me to see how many different "games" the developers incorporated into this one. I had particular fun with the scateboarding ones even if they were pretty easy (this is a children's game). They reminded me of many of the other skating games out on PSX at the time.

FUCK THE BOXING YETI, THAT SHIT COULD HAVE BEEN WAY MORE FUN AND WAS STIFF AS SHIT. I SWEAR SOME OF THE HITBOXES DONT EVEN MAKE SENSE.

Alright. Time to play some videogames.

Time to get spooked.

It's like they know me.

You sure do.

So you CAN kill the bloody thing. Time to go back and try some more I guess.

You're fucking kidding me. No-ghost is just a fucking bottle that kills the ghost with the label stating it kills ghosts. And you find this in a closet next to the soap. Just fuck my shit up fam.

JUST

Yeah, I didn't realise the item was still highlighted then. I thought it vanished as soon as I used it. My bad.

I really tried this but I just prefer to replay NES Shadowgate.
I love that game so much.

Hm, Im already playing Etrian Odyssey, so Ill pass on SMT, but Ill play Spyro 3 (its the only one I havent gotten around to playing). I can try Uninvited, but I always end up resorting to guides in adventure games, making me feel like a filthy casual

We can all be stuck together.

I will give SMT a try soon. I just want to at least get past the fucking dogs in this game first.

I started this motherfucker with 20+ lives and came out with 9. I even missed two gems on the slide so I had to re-do it even though I got the fucking egg. The gems were right at the end too.

I love this game and the William Hung dance at the end

Hell yeah! I was wondering when this thread would pop up.

I finished up Spyro on Wednesday, and here are the results. I made an effort to get as much out of every level that I could on the first time through, so long as I wasn't wasting time running around for one or two gems.

I haven't touched the game in at least ten years, likely more, and it was fun to see how well my memories of the game held up. Particularly, I had vivid memories of some of the most bullshit of minigames - but in this run, at least, I was never stuck for more than 10 minutes or so. Lucky me.

What I enjoyed the most was the overall level design; how all the levels looped back around, and really opened up after getting the primary egg in each world. It really gave you a sense of mastery when you'd easily run loops through the course in contrast to the slow approach only minutes ago.
I'd also like to make mention of the genius idea of using Sparx as your life indicator. Any way to minimize HUD use is plus in my books.

Unsurprisingly, my least favorite parts were when you took control of anyone other than Spyro. All of the of characters lacked the sense of speed the protagonist had, and their levels always focused heavily on one or two underdeveloped gimmicks.
The other main issue I had was whenever the camera control was taken away from you, and centered around an area (i.e. bossfights and certain set pieces). I'd often turn a direction I hadn't intended in crucial moments, and the majority of deaths were tallied this way. A prime example is the submarine fight with the mechanical shark in Seashell Shore, where the I'd often be spinning in circles out of a fit of over-correction.

Overall, it was a fun romp. It's got me more excited for the 3D platformers on the horizon. I haven't touched any of the other games yet, but I figure I'll take a gander at Uninvited - it looks interesting, to say the least.

Are you going to actually finish Spyro 3 completely?

I never saw these threads, but I just so happened to run through Spyro 3 last month. You're missing out big time if you don't go for 100%. The Sparx levels I saw you've skipped, and the Super Bonus Worlds, are great. And frankly you've missed so many things in the regular levels that you've missed a significant portion of the game. And a game this good deserves that you explore every nook and cranny.

Also, the other characters are alright. You only get one level and two sub-sections of other levels per character. Just enough to break it up but not so much as to become distracting. Plus, it's cool to see Agent 9 be a testing ground for what would later become Ratchet & Clank.

I have to second this user and invite you to try to 100% it. After the 2nd sparx level you get an ability to track remaining treasures so you don't spend 15+ minutes looking for a single red gem. Sparx makes the game so much more comfy, and the bonus levels, like he said, are really fun.

I likely won't have time to play much of anything during week two, but I hope more people give Uninvited a try.

Has anyone been playing SMT 2?

Okay… Well I tried.

I love you.

Whoops

Am I being fucking trolled?

I get that it's supposed to be a wizardry-like dungeon crawler but is this map necessary? The only treasures are like 20 MAG or something and there are no enemy encounters to make you decide against exploring. I'd get it if pic related was a dungeon but it's just a path to the next zone.

Also, happiness is apparently a status ailment.

What NES emulator should I use for playing Uninvited? It looks real goofy, and I adore goofy shit in video games.

Sounds like you have no manners

I just use retroarch and select any of the options it offered. It's not a very demanding game to emulate.

The boss fights are nowhere near as good as Spyro 2, it's clear this was a rushed release to make it for the Year of the Dragon.

Although I do agree that the boss fights are pretty lackluster (specially the last one, which handles like ass), I do appreciate the different characters and the very enjoyable levels themselves (and also the way you "level up" sparx). Plus, it stayed just as comfy as Spyro 2 in both its choice of themes for the levels and in its choice of music. My only actual beef with the game was that the other characters did indeed feel pretty slow when compared to spyro (the yeti I don't mind, but the penguin and specially the fucking monkey feel like getting a lobotomy at their worst). Then again this other gay already said something similar. The kangoroo is fine, but a forward jump/dash for quick bursts of speed would have been bretty fun.

I feel they focued a bit much on minigames like skateboarding and other characters when they could have used it to improve core aspects of the game. All they did was end up remaking the "Trouble with the trolley eh?" quest several times in different forms.

Wait so is it twice a week, or every other week?

Every weekend we have a thread. It alternates between voting threads (we choose 3 games, people can choose to play one or all of them) and discussion threads (we discuss the games while posting contemporary reviews and/or magazine articles about them).

Calling it "bi-weekly" is misleading, but I didn't come up with the idea.

I'm going to like this game.

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know about this wonderful piece of software until now, but thank you for telling me. This is everything I wanted out of an emulator('s frontend).