Vidya Haul thred: Nintendition

Some days, I feel like the only one collecting games. Prove me wrong, Holla Forums.

What games/accessories/vidya sweg have you picked up recently?

Did you get a good deal?

Are you enjoying your games?

What's the rarest game you found this year?

Show them off here!

Pic related was my biggest haul to date - my family went on vacation without me since I had to work, so I thought to myself "fuck it, I'll get a bunch of shit I always wanted" and so I did.

In total this was about $260, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Sadly the GB/GBC Donkey Kong games are in bad condition and SMB3 is getting that old yellowing, but the rest are in good condition.

I realize that most of the games are /r/gaming tier, but this time I was going for more popular games since most of my collection is niche.

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Seriously? I can see how some of the games could get jacked up scalper prices but a lot of those GBA games just seem like shovelware. Do the DKC handheld games actually go for high prices? I've always heard of them having a really bad reputation compared to the SNES games.

I found a fucking sweet ass CRT and a bunch of Xbox games for 22 bucks total last week. Also bought a ton of Turbo grafx 16, and good shit too, like Air zonk(with manual), Bomberman 93, Super Star Soldier, Buster Bros(complete), Dungeon explorer, Bonk, R-type, Space Harrier and Bloody Wolf(CIC)

Seems as good a time as any to update my collection image since I've moved. I'll get on that in a few.

Haven't picked up much recently aside from Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Mainly because I haven't seen much at local stores at decent prices that I don't already have, and it's been a dry spell since the end of last year or so. Been considering looking into Bujingai and Chaos Legion though; main issue being that while both are usually quite cheap, they're usually not in good condition here.

A lot of them look like shovelware/licensed stuff to me as well. DKC handheld version where I live go for about $12-20.

I'd say OP could have done better, but I suppose the real question is how much was being asked for that SP and OOT.

Well, let's tally

$50
$20
$30
$15
$30
$20
$5
$10
$12
$15
$10
$35

And the rest tallied up to around $10 as well, so as I said, around $260.

The GBC DK is pretty bad, but I actually prefer the GBA DKC to the SNES version, as I like its sound chip better.

The only shovelware I got is Spider-Man 2 and The Incredibles, and the first was because I just love Spidey and the second came bundled with the GBA as a "mystery game". The rest are actually all solid games, even especially the LOTR movie tie ins.

That is awesome as fuck. How much were the TGFX16 games?

Might be wrong, but if that's the turn based RPG for Fellowship of the Ring, doesn't it have some game breaking bugs in it that make it unwinnable?

I felt really smart

I've actually have yet to play that one, I figured since the rest were so good that it would be too.

Oh my god, you hit the jackpot.

Yeah, Armored Core is generally pretty cheap (here in the US anyhow), at least as far as the PS2 ones go in my experiences in looking around for stuff locally. Same with Ace Combat for the PS2.

If you got them all as a bundle, that's one thing, but if you were picking and choosing individually, it's best to double check about stuff before dropping money (say what you want about phones with internet on them, but it makes double checking on the fly for whether a game you're looking at sounds good or if you're being ripped off easy).

Are casettes worth picking up? I've been thinking of picking up some games for my Spectrum but I don't want to find that they don't work.

Is this a 4cham thread

Usually once/twice a month these threads pop up since not much is going on for pickups.

Terms of buying, got fuck all outside 2 Super Nintendo consoles for £5 because unsure if they worked. Both do, one has dirty contacts so it struggles, but just needs a clean.

Also a shit ton of Haruhi things.

Any of you trade anons lurking come up with anymore ideas?

I guess I didn't think a LOTR game could be bad with the exception of the console/pc version of The Hobbit, so I didn't check. Ah well, at least I have a sub-collection of World's Worst Vidya going as well. Maybe it can fit in with Bubsy 3D and Aliens Colonial Marines.

Oh damn, I forgot all about cassette games! I'd love to know this as well.

Sorry I'm not a NEET anymore, user. I have spending money nowadays, so I use it to expand my collection.

That's because you are smart, user!

Man I am not doing to good at the moment.
I found a lot of games, some I have really been looking for and some for pretty cheap.
But It seems like each month rent is getting harder to make. I dont think ill be able to spare even a couple of bucks for the sake of entertainment.

Those are pretty expensive for what you got.
Zelda, DKL, and DKC all seem pretty alrightly priced
But most of the rest I rarely see go for over 2-5$ where I am at

Everyone needs a hobby, man
I dont question that a pal of mine collects records, when he knows he can get the music for free.
Its just a hobby.

Update I mentioned earlier.

I've actually heard a lot of good stuff about The Hobbit, at least the game by Sierra.

Still, NEET or not, a bit of patience and research can help you save money and stretch the value of what you do spend. A fair bit of my stuff (particularly some of the more expensive games I have) I didn't pay average prices for (at times nowhere even near average), because I was willing to keep searching for a better deal. Helps to know what your options are locally too; most of my really good finds were all from local places that didn't think to check ebay or whatever when pricing their inventory for certain games.

Some systems I'm more than happy to just download roms for between prices and fan translations where there's no legitimate western copies anyhow, such as the SNES. But when feasible, I do like to have actual copies of games.

Those are some real nice shelves you got user!
I have actually been needing to get some new ones for myself, do you got any idea on what kind of shelves those are? are they adjustable?
Your collection is pretty nice as well! I need to get me more special edition softbox games like you got.
I also really like those GB/GBA boxes. I remember seeing them on a website or something, is that where you bought them, or did you just use modified DS cases and printed out labels?

Everything but air zonk, bomberman 93 and buster bros was ~18 bucks. Buster bros was 40, and air zonk/bomberman was 100 each(expensive was fuck, but every other copy i can find is 130/150+ and are genuinely rare so fuck it.)

Not real sure. A family member picked them up some years ago during a sale at Fry's Marketplace, I think (asking them, they've said that you could possibly find something like them at Staples or something). The bigger one is actually two shelving units stacked on top of each other with dowels, and the smaller one can have the shelves folded towards the back and the sides folded inward for easier transport.

It's not easy to try to find ones for the PS2 (or any older system, I suppose) in good shape at this point. I lucked out with MK; that one was cheap, in great shape, and complete with the soundtrack as well. Wild Arms 5 I bought when unplayed copies were still somewhat cheap and came with The Art of Wild Arms. Star Ocean though, pretty much every copy I've seen has been beat as shit. Found mine in decent enough shape, but it's still bent up.

You can find scans people have made sized for DS cases at The Cover Project (check both the site and forums, as it takes new scans a while to get uploaded to the actual site). I just use old style DS cases that had the GBA slot in them, but I think someone's got a business of selling custom made ones that fit not just GBA, but also the bigger Game Boy and GBC carts as well (Link's Awakening there took actual DS case modification to fit). Big thing though is that if you're repurposing DS cases, make sure they're the official brand. Off-brand ones don't always take into account the GBA slot, and due to the way the bar going across the inside cover is, they won't shut right with a GBA cart inserted.

Main issue for me has been finding a place to print at. Got plenty of extra cases from a yard sale where someone was just going to trash the cases their kid wasn't using (having opted to go cart only or something), just don't have the covers to put in them.

Not bad for the systems if they work. Shame the actual SNES library can get pretty expensive these days between the cycle of people willing to drop obscene amounts of money on stuff (be they hipster shits or just kids that have now grown up and have too much money to drop on old favorites and too little patience to look for better prices) and the scalpers all too happy to see what they can get away with asking.

Been considering looking into an original Xbox sometime myself. How hard is it to find a working one in good condition these days?

Not impossible, but you may have to replace some things, like the DVD drive(early xbox models are pretty weak at this point, and will struggle to play even the most pristine of games today), the hard drive(they're not especially fragile, but if you're modding the stock HDD is unacceptable.)and depending on the model, remove the clock capacitor.

Guess I should lurk around in Xbox threads then for what specifics I'd need.

How easy is it to tell the model of it at a glance anyhow? Is it like, say, the Dreamcast in that you could just look for a simple number on a sticker on the back?

Not very. There's a few specific things you need to look at and i can't remember exactly what off hand.

I have little else to spend my money on. Videogames are pretty much all I have.

Lucky breaks like that happen somewhat often. You just have to know how to look.

Every now and then people bundle that PAL Shamu Universal Studios game with a bunch of other Gamecube games because they don't know they can score quite a bit of money for it.

Does that game have any actual demand? I mean, I suppose it's hard to find, but that doesn't always mean the price is justifiable if no one really wants it.

Games like those only appeal to the hardcore "gotta have the entire library of games" collectors

Probably a similar case with that one yearly sports title that didn't see much of a print on the Gamecube then? I know there's one that's a good $80-100 preowned last I checked.

Afraid so. Some people are willing to pay around £100 for it.

Just got back from some yard sale-ing where I found a copy of PSO Ep. 1&2 on GC for 5 bucks.
Didn't even know it usually goes for around 70 when I grabbed it.

Where you at that has Friday yard sales? Also, pretty nice job. I still remember finding a complete copy of the Plus version for $35 a while back (it was going for about $80-90 at the time). Funnily enough the store that had it had had one of the vanilla copies for about $50 a month or so earlier. Not sure why they'd have asked less for the Plus version after selling the base one at that price, but now they want a good $80+ for either.

it just seems rather dumb to me. I mean, there's certainly other various expensive games, but a good number of them aren't licensed shovelware, annual sports games that become outdated (as far as teams/players go) quickly, and as actual games have fanbases to go with them. Just seems like a waste to drop that much on something rare that no one's actually going to be bothering with playing.

Nice. I really wanted that along with many other games when it came out, but I only had limited funds for games and had to choose wisely. I did get Doshin the Giant somewhat recently, which is now my go-to "relaxing" game (Animal Crossing is alright too, mind)

What I really want right now are some older less common systems, however. Such as the Turborafx/PC Engine and a CDi/3DO/Sega Mega CD. There's so much shit and also so much shit I want to play on them.

I still have my Amiga 32CD which from my childhood which my uncle let me keep, though.

Really, a CDi? Does that thing even have a single good game? Least 3d0 has a few good ports and Gex, hell, even the jaguar has rayman and tempest 2000.

Also i fucking hate how much of a bitch it is to find the TGCD, it's like either you buy the fucking thing with the Turbo grafx attached, you pay out the ass for a turbo duo, or you're not buying it at all..

Well I, personally, have a fondness for playing and watching completely stupid and terrible shit, so I would definitely play anything like that if I came across it for cheap or if I came into big money, but I'm in the UK so we all know how that's going to be. I especially like introducing my friends to these things. I sprung The Room on them with little warning on one of my birthdays, which was pretty amusing.

I just draw the line at straight-up boring games, which is why I avoid a lot of current gen ones.

Apparently the 3DO also has the best Street Fighter 2 port. Is this true?

Middle TN; there's usually more that what was out there, but the humidity today is insane.
It legitimately feels like an oven outside.

Those somewhat more obscure systems tend to be way more expensive than you would think. I was trying to find PC-98 recently and I couldn't find a good price anywhere.

Speaking of which, does anybody happen to have a buying guide of some kind for the PC-98? The computer's expensive, the games are expensive, expansion cards are expensive, etc. I want to get one but not at these terrible prices.

I suppose admittedly there's something to be said for watching, playing, or reading complete trainwrecks where they're so bad they loop back around into being enjoyable, but I still wouldn't drop that much money on stuff to do so. Not when there's better games and such to spend it on.

Trust me, I know. People always try to jew as much cash as they can out of anything.

I'm mostly focusing on good games at the moment, but if I happen to chance upon a ridiculous looking game for cheap I will grab it.

Also, please disregard how much of a redditfag I may seem like. That wasn't my intention.

There's expanding your collection and there's being raped by scalpers
Your folk of "i have money now" increase the prices because you burn your money awfully, and the scalpers artificially increase the prices because they feel they can get away with it
A whole generation of hipsters who "have money now" ruined the hobby from 4 years until now
Get good at spending, ya boomer

It legitimately feels like an oven outside.
It's really hot out where I live too (last weekend it was 120 outside), but in a way we're lucky we have next to no humidity for much of the year. Unfortunately yard sales here are pretty bad when I've gone looking (temperatures here don't help make that a really frequent thing). Only times I've ever found much worthy of buying at them was Pikmin 2 for $2 and Chrono Trigger DS for $5, I think. Also Echo Night Beyond, but the person selling that was wanting outright ebay prices (the entire point of the games in their sale being stuff they didn't manage to find a buyer for on ebay, and they were still wanting the same prices). I did at least get a third of the price knocked off though in convincing them that Echo Night is really not all that well known a series and they might be hard pressed to find a buyer not online, especially at a yard sale.

I guess I forgot to mention that the price for each included shipping. It'd probably only be $180 if shipping wasn't included.

SD2SNES helps a fuck ton. No having to worry about faggots scalping for Earthbound and shit.

If that' not a 101 model then you done FUCKED up. It's not even worth half that. also you massively overpaid for mario and luigi.

Were you buying from a whole bunch of different people? Because maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine shipping on all that would have been that much if it was coming from the same place.

And yeah, as said, you spent WAY too much on Mario and Luigi. Saw a copy recently where I live for $12, and that's not even the cheapest I've seen it for. Now the DS ones on the other hand, if complete, are close to $30 where I live.

3D0
The most glaring problem with the 3D0 version is that the Old characters are completely missing. It also has lots of missing animation. For example, all of Zangief's ducking punches are the same animation in the 3D0 version.
Other known differences :
- All characters get CPS1 chains
- Gouki/Akuma's Red Fireball has lesser recovery and can throw another fireball again at the 2nd hit !

Taken from the Shoryuken wiki. If you're not a tournament player, or really don't give a shit in general, get it.

Finally FINALLY found some vinyl records worth a damn. Now I need a machine to play them on & a way to clean & demagnetize them.

ONE

FUCKING

DOLLAR

180 is okay, but you only bought shovelware
If you are american you also get a small pass because of them getting jewed hard with Nintendo stuff
We all make mistakes, especially when starting, so i guess i shouldn't be too harsh, but the scalpers don't care, those guys are oven demons

I found a complete in case copy of gaurdian's crusade on ps1 for 50 cents at a garage sale last saturday. The jewel case has a big missing chunk at he bottom though.

Those LP's are pressed so much that they basically go for nothing, which aint a bad thing. 75% of my collection is second handed, all work fucking fine.

Picked up 7 records for 5 bucks each, from Michael Jackson to Silk Road.

Yesterday I picked*

Fuck me.

I think everything I picked up was an original pressing though. They all came out of the basement of an estate sale & none of the barcode numbers match up with anything on amazon.

Got this for $1.00 too

And I mean Kitaro, kill me.

Also bought a weird techno noise record from 2004, pretty interesting stuff.

Original pressings are usually the best money you can spend.
Or you bought some bootlegs, which doesn't have to be a bad thing. Check this site though discogs.com/ best database when it comes to music.

The GBA isn't all that pricy to pick stuff up for out here in the US, and shovelware and licensed stuff is usually pretty cheap on it, barring certain licensed anime games (Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure was about $18 when I got mine, and on the rare occasion I see Astro Boy Omega Factor it can be $25 or more; both do have a pretty good reputation though, which might factor in).

The actually expensive games on the system ($30 or more) these days are stuff like Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Pokemon Emerald, Boktai 2, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (depends a lot on the store; seen it range from about $25 to $40+) and especially Ninja Five-0. A lot of other worthwhile stuff is usually in the $10-$25 range, moreso on the low end if the print run was decent.

It's the SNES, Gamecube, and DS (complete copies of games that didn't get reprints anyhow) that seem to be the Nintendo systems prone to being scalped hard. Maybe the NES as well but I haven't spent enough time looking at prices for stuff there to really determine it.

If you can find another jewelcase (maybe from a sports game or music CD) for something you don't want, you can take the casings apart and swap the contents out. I've had to take apart one of my PS1 games to clean it after I got it, since there was no other way to get the melted chocolate someone had left in there out (thankfully the tray cards, manual, and disc were all fine).

I think amazon just doesn't use the printed barcodes for their catalog. They all shopw up on that side, & they have two options

So I guess they're all original and not bootlegs. Shame the sleevs are so water damaged, but as long as they play I don't mind.

It has one of those clear hinges on the left side, ive replaced alot of jewel cases but not one like that. Im not going to risk destroying the case to replace somthing thats not the biggest deal ever.

You don't even need to steal a jewel case from another thing though. You can find various sites that sell clear jewelcases in bulk.

Or you can stop being a bitch, buy a case of 30 or so clear jewel cases and throw away the old one and place the game in the new case. It's not that hard and I've done it a ton of times for games I've broken the case for as a kid.

Ill look into it. How expensive are jewel cases in bulk?

True, I suppose. Main issue with the one that I had to take apart was that it was a multidisc one, which didn't seem as easy to find an outright replacement for online compared to single disc ones, but thankfully upon cleaning it up it's completely good now (main concern was to clean the chocolate out and make sure the hinges opened better; if anything they open too well now).

It happens, some people are fucking picky about the sleeves. But so far, good taste my man.

Those are just two normal jewel cases with the front taken out and stuck with some plastic in the middle.

Paying for retro games that could be emulated is like paying for a digital copy of books in the public domain.

It just does not make economic sense.

This is a man who is either poor, or does not really care about the hobby.

It was more along the lines of: I collected a ton of retro stuff, never played a majority of it, finally realized I could sell it all for $600+ and just emulated the few games I wanted to play.

I get the collection part as a hobby, but it still is not a cost effective way to enjoy the games.

I'd say it's more like a physical copy of a public domain book. It's all free on the Internet but the bound book has it's own value. Infinite battery life, can easily loan to a friend, and easily lasts generations.
I still have my Speccy and Amiga 500 set up because Sinclair and Amiga BASIC are more fun on a computer it's intended for.

I understand the sentiment with this as well, as I also like to own some books that are free elsewhere. I think the difference is there is not really a difference in the experience of the medium through a physical or emulated retro game.

You perceive it and experience it almost exactly either way. Except the nostalgia of a console, and maybe you really like a certain controller. With a book though owning it and reading it is a different physical experience than reading it on a screen or device.

I don't mean that the hobby is bad at all, but to collect them just to play the games or show off like a lot of people do is just a silly use of money.

Saging for off topic discussion.

Some people value being able to blow into the cartridge before putting them into the console just to relive the good old days.

Or the feel of a good controller instead of a shitty keyboard set up, especially for the more arcadey systems.

Stop

Why are RETRO GAYMURS so fucking stupid?

Birthday's coming up in a couple weeks. I'll be sure to report back and post my treasure.

I have a friend who sold a copy of cubivore to GameStop for like $5 a few years ago

I'm surprised Gamestop would still take Gamecube games if that was indeed "only a few years ago." Though I suppose recently they've started to buy games they stopped carrying to sell online or something; if memory serves they were wanting to get on the retro market and reduce what benefits stores that already stocked for older systems had over them.

I suppose he might have at least made more on that sale than whoever sold the store I got Fire Emblem: PoR at for $10 made on his. He probably got $2 or $3.

what's wrong with blowing into carts? I'm not gay so pls don't bully.

By a few years ago, I mean 2007 or so.

Ah. Well, I personally wouldn't call nearly a decade back just "a few years".

A bit of patience and perseverance in searching around (at least for used games) can stretch your dollar.

You breath a little of your soul into a game every time you blow into. It makes your lifespan shorter in exchange.

There was an awesome deal on eBay for an N64 + SM64 for around $90, but it got snatched up a few days ago.

I'm hoping to get the aforementioned, SF64, a 360 and Bayonetta 360 for less than $250. Shouldn't be too hard.

It never actually fixed anything and moisture from blowing into them could build up and corrode the copper components. Nintendo even warned against this:

enjoy your cheap plastic crap

What do you think I meant by REPRO CONTROLLERS you illiterate nigger?

Cheap chinese crap.

Jesus fucking Christ you're an idiot.

A "Nintendo" controller with a male USB plug at the end of it is not a fucking Nintendo controller That's a repro controller.

A Nintendo controller which plugs into a Male USB to female Nintendo controller port with standalone signal conversion circuity (aka a box) is a Nintendo controller.

Just got this today from one of my old friends. Its essentially a region free ps2. I got a copy of Thunder Force 6 coming in soon to play on it.

Is that from sony? or is it some off-brand modification?

its a dev kit

great deal bro

It's from Sony. It's technically a test kit for testing out games on it. It can actually play unreleased games as well as retail games. When I got it it had had an unfinished build of an atv game in the disc tray. The main reasons I got it were because it is region free, and I was able to get it from a friend for free.

Meant to reply to

Well, good luck with that then.

How much did your friend wind up paying for it initially? Or was he a dev that used it?

not newly purchased but i am cleaning out my storage locker and found some fun stuff. Still looking for my famicom, famicom disk and CD i. Will take pics in a bit if there is interest.

Not a dev, but both of us were testers for a company had better days. Unfortunately I'd rather not say which one as he his still kind of associated with them.

Wrong pic. Here is the jackpot.

you gonna dump it? It's nice to have these things preserved.

What is that Battlefront 2 for?
I tried to buy it but there's stores that literally sell it at 50 quid still.

It's unbelievable

Its a 5 cd bf2 for pc. It also came with what i think is a burned disk with all of the isos on it for convience. There isnt a manual, but the cd code is there.

Not videogames.

Preserving things is great. Collecting is for cowards.

Its this fucking faggot again.