Whis is the MMO genre dying Holla Forums?

Whis is the MMO genre dying Holla Forums?

Because it feels pointless to play something you can't get 100% joy out of unless you pay for even more cosmetic or fancy shit you can never have during game, and all that money is wasted because the MMO will be taken offline eventually and you won't be able to play it again once they take it down unlike regular games which you can pick up again and play whenever you want at any time in your life without the fear of the developers coming over and taking it from you.

Because it's shit. Good riddance.

They can't die soon enough. Only the most tasteless of autists like them and that is not a market that should be encouraged in any way.

Shit ain't fun, and you don't buy and play video games to work at a second job, you buy and play video games to have fun. No one knows how to make a fun MMO anymore. Hell, I don't think the dumb fucks who play MMOs know what makes them fun. I sure don't.

If someone came up with an awesome idea for a MMO with fantastic gameplay that felt awesome, I'd tell them to just make it multiplayer. No need for the Massive part of MMO. That and I guess cut some of the horrible, pointless, time gated, limited run count, alternate currency bullshit that MMOs use to artificially extend the game's lifetime. If a player wants to earn something, don't actively prevent them from doing so. That was always my biggest complaint about MMOs, all of them will limit you in what you want to do because no no no, can't let you get ahead of everyone else.

I don't mind low drop chances. I did my time with RO and MonHun. But the difference is that those miniscule drop chances weren't gated behind a limit of three runs per day with a minimum of nine other fuckers competing for the drop. It's why I stopped playing WoW. I was a Hunter, had a hard time in dungeons because I didn't have enough time to farm rep for upgrades, so I was always under recommended gear score or just barely made it with pieces not meant for the Hunter class but had a better gear score. So we run some dungeon, and a bow drops. I want to roll for it, but it just goes straight into the guild leader's bag, who happens to be a hunter and coincidentally the bow is an upgrade for him. He's leagues ahead of me in gear score already, and he takes the bow, and I didn't even argue, I just gave up then and there. My friends who dragged me into WoW tried to explain and convince me to play, but I just wasn't having it. I didn't want to go through more daily bullshit quests so I can pass a gear score check so I can watch an item I need snatched away from me, and then wait for tomorrow because I'm out of dungeon runs.

I don't want my video games fucking my ass harder than real life does.

MMOs were Facebook social and mobile games before those things existed.

P99 exists and it's emulator status is a normalfagshield. Uthgard is in beta or some shit. I'd argue MMOs are in better shape than they've ever been.

As for why the commercial side of the genre is dying? There are more efficient ways to Jew people. The 'good' MMOs were only half-kike and still required content, capital investment, and the risk of failure, so why not just go full-kike?

In the 90s there was still a fear that the public was smart enough to not buy into p2w and other forms of consumer rape, but once that fear was erased why would Mr. Goldstein bother with investing in risky games with content?

MMOs as we know them have shit gameplay by definition. the only interesting things were the social aspect, the locations ingame, and the sometimes libertarian tier trading.

an actually massive multiplayer game can be alright, depending on what counts as massive. there are games where you can have up to 200 or possibly more people on one server while still having real gameplay.

MMO genre is dying because of several reasons like:

1. Blizzard has sabotaged other MMOs before they even launched (like AoC) and even stole their features and implemented them in their own game under a different name then accused them of stealing their design.

2. Developers in last few years only care about $$$ return instead of making a genuine MMO RPG game with interesting features which causes MMOs with great potential to live for few months then die when players finally realise game is simply not worth playing

3. smaller and sometimes more skilled studios have abandonded the MMO RPG genre because huge cancer companies like Blizzard are investing too much money into marketing and bribing "gaming journalists" so they cannot compete with that

4. MMO RPG players have been corrupted by mainstream games like WoW from Wotlk forward where Blizzard catters to retarded casuals who only cares about instant gratification which in turn creates a vocal minority of casuals who demand shit in other MMO RPGs thus misleading the devs of other games, which in turn causes core players to leave the said game when retarded devs implement casual demands.

TL;DR Genocide entire Blizzard staff and other companies that contributed to destruction of MMO genre, hang the "gaming journalists" and MMO genre will be alive and strong again.

Because it never innovates gameplay wise.

None of the combat is ever very satisfying most of the time, and devs even managed to fuck up stuff like Dragon's Dogma Online, which has great combat.

People want an MMO that has the playable quality of a singleplayer game, but unless you find a group or you're a socialfag, they are games you would not touch with a ten foot pole if they were singleplayer only.

City of Heroes was good though

The avatar creation was its only bright spot. MMOs are just another casualty of western developers and their inability to make anything of value.

He was asking everybody on the board, not implying everybody on the board has the same opinion on something

MMO's are dying for now.

I think a VR mmo would bring it back though, if such a thing comes about

I think there are a bunch of reasons.

The first is that, I don't think the MMO genre is dying. I think it is returning to it's pre-WoW popularity. I don't really think there was a huge boom in MMO demand, there was just a huge boom in WoW interest and the glut of games that were released (and failed badly).

Secondly, I think the constituent parts of the MMO genre that people enjoyed can be found elsewhere. Almost every single game these days has social features up the ass. Many people find hub games just as agreeable as a large static world. If not more agreeable. A large persistent world isn't useful if there is nothing to do with it. And as MMO's try to be more themepark than anything else, it always begs the question of why having the persistent world in the first place.

I also think there is this strange thing where game developers have lost the ability to recognize that there is a difference between these words: shallow, casual, accessible, simplification. A large part of WoW's success was making itself far more accessible without sacrificing any of the essential "MMO"ness of the games that came before it (I was playing FF11 before WoW, and man can I tell you what a shock it was to not have to spend 10 hours to do the most basic task).

But at some point they seemed to think taking out arduous and uninteresting mechanics (accessibility) was the same removing depth. Since they simply view depth as complexity. Which those are not the same two things. A lot of 4X games are complex but lack any real depth. In this case, when you confuse the two, you get what started happening with WoW: just remove anything which requires an actual decision or critical thought, and claim you are making it more accessible. It was already accessible, you are just making it more shallow.

It's this lack of subtle thinking which seems to dominate AAA gaming and most major developers. Apparently the mere existence of depth (even if it is hidden) in their games they find offensive. Even when the game is perfectly accessible to someone who has no real interest in understanding the mechanics in a deeper way, the mere fact someone COULD do that seems to upset them.

That, or the people working their simply don't give a shit anymore and that's why things play like no one ever sat down and went "Wow this is fucking lame".

What's the deal with all these newfags who just can't lurk. Dammit just shut the fuck up and take in the place before buzzing in like a socially awkward bee.

It's less that MMO's are going down, but rather WoW is starting to crash and burn

It'll actually be interesting to see what pops up after it collapses in the next few years

hopefully nothing

Because ever since WoW devs just copy WoW. All of the exotic and interesting MMOs before that were never iterated, and we certainly get nothing original.

It is not.
It's just a trend on this board to hate mmos and shit on them regardless of their actual quality.
Yet every second one of you play at least one MMO and you fucking now that successful ones are alive and kicking?

Every fucking time.
Holla Forums truly is a tsundere in community form.

Yes we are.

They all are following the same formula.
All full of questlines and a linear story.

I remember when shit was super open and free with lots of options, you could do whatever you wanted when you wanted as long as you could actually do it without dieing, with the lore being hidden in monsters, items and NPC dialogue for NPC that almost always didn't have actual quests, just hints and gossip about the game world.
Nowadays you're stuck in whatever themed map the devs made for your level range, doing obligatory fetch quests to some asshole NPC, going in a straight line from map to map until you reach max level.

I remember the Project Gorgon threads, the combat was horrible, the graphics sucked ass, the character creation a joke and so on.
But everyone was having a blast with the game. It had no clear objectives other than a very dismissable main questline and you just went around exploring, hunting, farming, fishing, searching hidden NPCs to see if they had something for you and having your character grow while doing it.

People make do with what they have, if they want to play MMOs they will, but it won't make the MMOs any better.

Those were the best MMOs. When the attraction to a "masively multiplayer" were the players and you had the freedom to make your own fun. I hate questing and I often wonder how different things would have been had EverQuest not popularized it.

I like FF XIV and wish WoW wasn't dying since all the wow kiddies are shitting up the servers now that they are fleeing a sinking ship.

Haven't really played any MMOs in 5 years.

You noticed a influx of retards too?

The best part is when they think their WoW knowledge will help them and they only end up fucking everyone over. Its nice there's more players but for fuck's sake learn your shit.