Pixelart

Come on now

Ok, there is mixels and most of the animations are shit compared to classic cinematic platformers, but hey THOSE BACKGROUNDS THO

Also, pixel art general, post pixel goodness.

Other urls found in this thread:

temperancelance.under.jp/patriotdark-dl.html
rectangle.jp/download.html
effectgames.com/demos/worlds/
cgchannel.com/2015/02/this-free-blender-shader-turns-3d-models-into-pixel-art/
2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/instant-pixel-art-backgrounds-with-the-dan-fessler-method/
effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game#Cinematic_platform_game
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

haha okay

that looks like fucking garbage
kill yourself, shill

pics not related, right OP?

Pretty average to be honest.

As you can see by this thread, we've reached the point where Holla Forums will pretty much shit on anything that has pixel art in it, the meme hivemind has taken over, it takes too much effort to form your own opinion on a game by game basis.

OP all you have to do is wait, low poly 3D will take over the indie scene and pixel art will become cool again since it will be unpopular with the masses (remember, Holla Forums is totally not a bunch of contrarian hipsters tho!).

that looks pretty good. game?

that character dosen't match teh backgrounds at all. There are some bits that are nice here and their but it just looks rather meh for the most part.

The tree in first pic is fucked too

tell me about it man, everyday it gets worse

It's called "The Way".
It's on steam, and there's a GOG torrent on kat.

I usually see pjxel art treated as a lazy way to handle visuals in a game while pretending to have a visual style. I don't think the screenshots you posted look like anything special. Visuals are a fairly irrelevant part of a game anyway, and chances are that if the art is all you can use to sell your game, it's a shit game.

The fact they're doing 'retro' anything is shit, user. Don't be a shill. Hipsters are cancer.

teleglitch is what horror games often need be: low on visuals

come at me

Is this a Flashback clone? Turrenting now

thanks

The game is actually good, aside from visuals.

They marketed more on resurrecting the cinematic platformer genre which they don't accomplish so well because the protagonist doesn't have that characteristic weight in his movement.

Still worth a pirate though, the mechanics are solid, there is no handholding and doesn't last only 2 hours like most artgameshit you find around.

Somewhat, it's one of the inspirations but the game doesn't play like flashback.

i'm going to make a low poly videogame, with characters having up to 2048 triangles :^)

The problem isn't the genre of the game, or even the game itself, but more that you chose to introduce me to it by whining about people that don't like the artstyle it uses.

As retarded and hipstery as the "retro" buzzword.

What exactly do you mean by this? Games like Prince of Persia or Flashback where you play with characters that have slow and heavy animations or do you mean 30 fps platformers or what

summer

Game OP is talking about is the Way. Barring his shit taste and shittier mentality, here's a link for anyone interested.
6fd956cb48d80baf8b69438c6df83f1b71d5def8

Fuck off coward.

Pixel art should be personal. Unfortunately with the presence of so much cowardice bashing beauty into being has to be individual. Rare like love for people with heart to find eachother and damn themselves to their dreams.

Concept art could be resized, palletised an dithered into pixel art. Artists adding detail.

There, world. Away from that which isn't.

World enough so a character can't change it, just people met in it. More world the more people are helped to be themselves. Continue what is as part of it.

Part of what is.

Call the enemy what isn't. Fight ends. All gets grander. Hidden worlds have their secrets kept too.

Just to get a metric of good an bad pixel art. Would this be a game with good pixel art?

temperancelance.under.jp/patriotdark-dl.html

What the fuck am I reading

I was not shilling it, I just liked the pixelart and wanted to show an example of how not every indie is pixelshit, lots of people don't agree with me apparently

Also, if you read it, my intention was starting a pixel art thread like pics related but the thread own existence already derailed it.

The first option.

I swear if this is a shump and not an ace combat clone I'll call you a faggot

Here's and ace combat clone
dowload Raiders Sphere 4th trial
rectangle.jp/download.html

you're a fucking idiot

Does anyone have good Pixel artwork backgrounds? I'm getting a dual monitor set up so I was wondering if anyone had some good wallpapers for that.

No. Worlds.

Good pixel art has more 3D space than a 3D game. All forms a scene. It will be a while before that is different. Higher resolution has the most blame for that.

Wishlisted, gonna try the torrent later
thanks fam

You are trying to read way too deep into something not that deep.

Stickman characters
Lighting and bloom on everything.
Purple color gradient slapped on shit to make it look fancy.
Using linear color ramps.
ALL THAT USELESS DITHERING.

This has to bait, there's no fucking way you can be this god damn stupid.

I'm playing Wario Land 4 on my GBA SP and it looks much better than this crap

Not quite.

You're new here, right?
Let me direct you to where you actually wanted to go, okay?

>>>/plebbit/

Please just end it now

At first I thought the number was wrong, then I saw the wall in the back.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

I bet you are one of those /vr/ fags that unironically call themself a hipster and bitch and moan when you get called a faggot.

ANYWAY. The guy uses dithering way too much, at least, he uses it in a way that doesn't fucking work. With good dithering you shouldn't be able to easily notice it, even on an LCD screen.

Disregarding OPs example, I like pixel art.
Back when it was the hight of technical possibilities they tried to make stuff look as good and detailed as possible. Nobody used 8-bit sprites intentionally. That's really the difference between hipster trash and the old games.

Even bad pixel art is easier on the eyes than most bad 3D and I'm totally fine with a studio using 2D graphics out of cost reasons or because there's no point in using 3D. But that whole mixing shit looks terrible. If your backgrounds look like they're from a 32bit system, don't make the characters 16bit or even 8bit. I see that shit way too often and it looks terrible.

Great taste, user!

I was using f.lux while I took that screenshot, for some reason it gave this blue filter effect I don't know if that influences on your analysis in anyway.

But yes the gradient is there, I didn't even notice.

some people don't understand dithering was to simulate colors, shadows, or smooth transitions with the limited palette, not have checkerboard everywhere

Found these on imgur

2nd is a stage from The Last Blade. Just a gorgeous game.

I appreciate the guy put a lot of work into it but that doesn't look great.

It's a shame that SNK is probably never going to make pixel art for their games anymore. They really were great at it.

Yeah. The backgrounds look nice, but that character isn't helping the package. At all. He doesn't even fit the art direction of the backgrounds, it's like one person did backgrounds in classic game style and another did the character in modern indie minimalist style, and nobody noticed how badly they clash.

Plus, he's just so tiny, what gives? I get wanting the character to take up a small portion of the screen for gameplay purposes, but considering the "pixels" are 3x3 real pixels in OP's shots, they really weren't lacking potential resolution.

effectgames.com/demos/worlds/
I wish they turned it into a calendar based desktop background already

Sexy world and bg art, but holy fuck those character sprites are lazy as fuck

never listen to anything anyone says

OP take your bullshit away from here.

It's a pixel art thread, where the fuck is the pixel art?

Also, check these out:

cgchannel.com/2015/02/this-free-blender-shader-turns-3d-models-into-pixel-art/

2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/instant-pixel-art-backgrounds-with-the-dan-fessler-method/

Not only the character is dissonant but his animations and controls are pretty bad, mainly for the genre the creator was getting his inspiration from.

Does not fuck the gameplay at all, but it is shamefur dispray.

This isn't even about design, but rather that the pixel art is shit. Character design is the not same as graphics in general.

I bet you faggots think hyper light drifters art is shit too.

That game looks fucking awful. The design is utterly retarded. It's a gigantic clusterfuck with really, really bad color choices. The devs clearly had absolutely no idea that you have to make things clear at just a glance, and littered the screen with all sorts of shit.

The only good thing about that game is that the sprites have a lot of frames of animation (IIRC), everything else is so bad that it's objectively poorly designed.

?

Honestly doesn't look that nice

This is a place for complaining and nostalgia fagging, kept afloat mostly by cyclical general threads.

Honestly that character is as ugly as the undertale kid.

I want a game that looks like that.

That is pixel art done
WRONG

Kill yourself my man

the only thing that matters is bias cause thats all youll ever get from Holla Forums

how the fuck do you do the liftoff codes? I wrote down every fucking thing but it makes no sense

never mind figured it out ;)

I PM'd you the fix ;)

Any anons here do pixel art?
h-h-here's some of my stuff that I made on my free time.

That's actually aright. How long did it take for you to get that good?

decent amount of work and decent amount of success at looking like a mid 90's pc adventure game

ruins it all with gradient bullshit

nice

Das breddy gud, user. But seriously, that's excellent, don't stop working at it.

not really

Would you a metroid?

Sorry buddy, but for every Brigador there's about 50 mediocre pixel platformers and 20,000 unfinished survival sandboxes. The digital storefronts have combined their efforts to fuck up everything for everyone so you can't expect anything different anymore.

but what op posted looks terrible.

Dunno. Do they swallow?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BAD TOUCH! BAD TOUCH!
GET IT AWAY! GET IT AWAAAAYYYY

It's really not fair to compare anything to Metal Slug and you know it

I've been doing some lately for the Holla Forums Jojo game

work on this once every 6 months when bored

Seems to me you've an appreciation for pixel art but haven't actually studied and given thought to what makes it good, if you've fallen for the trap of considering OP "good pixel art".

They told me Summer was a lie.

hello reddit

Nah, OP's pics just really aren't that impressive. Get some taste.

It's actually not that good, and it's painful to look at for too long. It can be pretty sometimes, but it lacks detail. Also for three years of work that game was a fucking disappointment.

this is considered more impressive?

see this is how we tell you're baiting, you've tried too hard

Try again.

No, please elaborate, chum.
I'm confounded as well.

i remember i was at a place that had an original arcade cabinet. the blood effect had the "Sploosh" kind of effect that was pretty graphic for the time.

they have since removed the cabinet. i REALLY want to know exactly what setup and game that was, it was about 12 years ago when i played it. i would KILL for that cabinet.

i also posted aladin in there. lion king on genesis also had some good pixel art. i tend to judge pixel art by what console it is attempting to emulate. some pixel shit games are atari quality but usually something that an actual atari could never run. This one reminds me of a commodore 64, but doesnt follow any of the limitations of commodore 64. pixel art without limitations can look fucking AMAZING. choosing to go for something lower without staying consistent is just an excuse.

effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

Let's reverse that, then. Between that image and the OP's, why do you think isn't more impressive? All snark aside here, might help realise how aware you are of pixel art stuff.

These look pretty good.

It's called an "opinion" not a "bias" and you need to learn to attribute them to the individuals making the posts and not the board as a whole. Maybe after youve been here for a while you'll get it.

are you serious?
fucking hipsters

the problem is these faggots dont see themselves as part of Holla Forums. thats how you know theyre just visiting from some other shitty site.

OP is a faggot I liked The Way though

and after youve been here a while youll come to realize youre dealing with a group of circlejerking chucklefucks a good portion of the time

no how can i consider myself part of Holla Forums any more after youve come here in numbers from halfchan to fuck it up

It's more because to me, it's self evident that IS superior- even ignoring the flashy palette-cycling to simulate animation, the rendering with the dithering is done better (if perhaps also done too much, it's still working better than in OP), elements like the shading in the tree are great, the barely-seen outlines, how it manages to milk just some 12 colours for it all, etc.

I firmly believe if you can't grasp this at a glance, it's because you're uneducated in the medium (which is fine, I wouldn't be able to tell you shit on most music), hence I reversed the question to be able to tell at which point you were- would you literally just go "dur op is much better it has nice gradients for lighting" or would you actually be able to give something more substantial like "the image being praised has just as much overuse of dithering, banding on the moss, etc"?

Well, shit, as far as me and my pleb eyes can tell, it's mostly in the composition. That tree scene is monochromatic while OP's scene has a wider gamut. I'd give you the tree is way more detailed, but it's also at a higher framerate (movement on the water) and comes off as a bit too detailed to be proper pixel art that can fit on a cartridge.
But then again, what do i know, right?

okay, thats true. im really no artist. there may be more advanced technique involved in the pretty swampy tree gif. i just dont think that technique is all there is to art. theres also the creativity involved in showing a different world or a mood through images. the neat fictional aesthetics in the op somehow impress me more than a nice but uninspired swamp.

i used to have an awesome video about how pixelart was done in the old days. they went through what changed in various consoles or image modes. for example how many colors were limited to a 64x64 cube, or that it was better to do a 32x64 rectangle even if there were less of them because of color variety.

it was a pretty cool video. anyone know what im talking about?

You seem to know better than the other guy, at least.

It'd depend what cartridge, and I don't know in terms of technology what consoles'd be able of palette cycling (which animation-wise is what's happening there- the water isn't moving, it's all a still image, it's just also being told "in this frame, display THIS bit of the water as white. next frame, display THAT bit of the water as white" and so on). I seem to recall Castlevania doing this on the Super Nintendo already, so the only problem here would probably be the resolution of the image itself - 500px tall seems to me would require more of a Playstation-era system.

The scene might be monochromatic, but that's due to having a much lower and more limited palette, something that's normally considered ideal in pixel art. Taking that into account, it's made a lot more with less - apparently, at least. Actually counting the colours in it it goes into the hundreds, but I'm guessing that's a problem with image converting- I really don't see why someone'd have used a dozen nearly-identical black colours in it.

Well sure, but at that point what's impressing you isn't the pixel art, it's the drawing. I don't think, say, Sonic CD's pixel art is that great, but I love the images it's conveying.

Probably.

nevermind. found it.

skip to 3:20 to see the limitations in these images. these "retro" artists now should either follow these limitations, or push their limitation to the max.

if they dont have a limitation, then theyre not retro, theyre just bad. if they dont follow limitations, then their pixel art is limitless and the standard is much higher.

The problem with pixel art is that you often fall into two camps. Those that just remember it as "how old games were", and who're likely to accept anything so long as the resolution's low enough; and those who actually know the medium and to whom it never died, in which case they're aware of how it evolved until now and are likely to confuse the former by bringing up a ton of technical shit.

I think Shovel Knight did the best job of balancing both. It broke limitation, but only after trying to stay within limitation as much as possible. Corresponds with the expectations of both camps.

A bad humanoid sprite can ruin the image.

limitation of what is the question. you can make some pretty cool pixelart using ps2 or psx specs and still pass for retro.

problem is alot of "pixel artists" make games of Atari or NES quality, but their limitations are beyond that of a PS2.

its like cheating, and still not being as good. its like bringing a formula 1 car to a miata race, and still losing.

if they want to add effects and stuff in addition to the pixel art, like scott pilgrim did, which looks like an arcade cabinet game, but with added "light" which actually doesnt seem out of place.

fuck i remember that game, but you cant buy it any more coz anamanaguchi are cunts

should girls really kiss like that?

so what are you looking for when judging the quality of the pixel art, if its not just how nice it looks?

something like these?

The quality of the technique. You know that thing about how an artist's taste develops faster than his ability, etc etc? I'm no great pixel-pusher, but I understand the techniques well enough that seeing them disrespected (unless on specific circumstances) is genuinely not nice looking to me. OP just genuinely can't look nice to me because I went "oh, ok, that building's cook" "fuck, that player character looks awful though" "jesus christ those plants are complete shit what the fuck" "wait is that a gradient in the background"

meant "that building's cool"

it's not even from a fucking game, why does Holla Forums always do this.

This website is cancer, we have officially been completely taken over by newfags and divide and conquerors.

that's not good you faggot. the sprite is the very definition of pixelshit & the backgrounds abuse dithering and use awful colours.

Considering it's comparable in quality to anything SNK was doing in the late half of the 90s, is that a relevant complaint at all? You'd do better complain how their use in a game'd be different- specific use images vs whole tilesets- until someone pulled Metal Slug out, that is.

Pretty decent until my eyes wandered onto the shitty stick figure man and then the shitty point lighting.

STOP DOING THIS YOU INDIE FUCKS

JUST STOP ALREADY

Someone send this to the AM2R guy so he'll take out the bloom in his game.

is that meant to be stupid? how is purposefully downgrading something supposed to get a point across?

The point is "most indie devs don't bother to actually replicate old pixel art, they just use as low a resolution as possible in order to make the pixels extremely visible, and then add tons of shaders as easy ways to make effects, without caring for the cohesion of it all".

I think the image conveys it pretty well.

Cuckolds to the left of me, stormfags to the right, here I am

STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU

S T O P
T
O
P

are you really so butthurt someone disagreed with you on the quality of the art of a game

Yes, because the OP said "when a retro indie manages to do it right", not "when a multi-million dollar company manages to do it right"

You're also talking about 20 years later, roughly. You can right now do better work alone than such multi-million dollar companies back then. Maybe SNK's a cheat to use, but good SEGA-levels should be easily attainable at least, or late snes Nintendo when they actually started caring for the quality of their pixel work

What do you guys think of Retro City Rampage, considering the guy actually developed a mock up of his game for the NES?

Seems to have its heart in the right place, actually looking like a care was put into the pixelart, etc. I don't care visually for these games were you're so zoomed out though, so doesn't do much for me personally.

Retro City Rampage didnt do it for me. The technical shit was there, but the artstyle was crap and the writing was Seth MacFarlane tier. Shame too. The guy did put in some hard work

Here's a shitty light system I made a while back

See, here's what I always wondered with these games- is there a way you could have the light actually be sharp and obey the grid instead of being this fuzzy blur? I think it wouldn't clash as hard.

SS13's lightning and field of view works like that.

Actually yes.

This tile grid was 16x16, so I had a 16x16 texture backing the lighting data. When the lights were calculated, they were drawn onto this texture, then upscaled to 640x640. It's in the upscaling that it gets blurry. If you set the rasterization mode to nearest neighbour, it becomes sharp and very obviously per-tile. Becuase I had it set to a linear interpolation, it looked blurrier and less sharp.

I believe at the time I made that, I had planned to have both sharp/fuzzy lights in equal proportion but never finished it.

Are there any olden games (hopefully 8 bit or 16 bit consoles) that used a "lighting system" or can use one in theory? I feel like you can make one that basically amounts to "rapidly palette swap this spot with a certain sprite" but its probably not that simple.

Like that one spot in Super Metroid in the Brinstar "sewer" section. The spiked room with the Rudolf heads.

You'd probably have to look at an SNES game or later, simply because of technical limitations. With modern games (especially 3D), the lighting system, particularly shadows, takes up a lot of the processing power.

NES games could probably do it as a gimmick, but you couldn't include it with a game. Palette limitations are another thing. SNES could have 15 colors per sprite, out of a total of like 32767 shades (though the soft/hardware had to define a limit of 256 at a time or something)

What you describe in Metroid used palette shifting to change the color to make it look like the background was glowing. This was a typical way to "animate" things before shaders were commonplace, you'd see it a lot on SNES/Genesis games. I'm pretty sure some backgrounds in Metroid were actually animated by means of a shader, particularly the hot rooms.

I need to find my copy of Super Metroid. Thanks for clarifying

its about what you do with a limitation
modern indie des tend to think that homaging the 8bit era means making something cute and quaint and shit when it was actually about abusing the very limits of what you had to work with to make something beautiful

here's some examples
Little Samson (pic 1), a game made toward the end of the NES's lifespan. Devs did their utmost to create excellent artwork in a limited color palette
La-Mulana (pics 2 - 4) is a PC game (with incredibly ambitious level and art design) made in the mid-2000s trying to recreate the feel of an MSX classic (Maze of Galleous). They worked quite precisely within the limitations of the MSX system, so much so that someone went and recreated the whole thing as an MSX rom without having to change a single tile
Fez (pic 5) is a gigantic turd made by indie darling Phil Fish. He completely failed to grasp that limitations make your stronger, made a lazy as fuck stand-in character for a main, and uses gradient backgrounds

Pixel art is not for the lazy

WHY

I completely forgot about that game. It still makes my eyes water

Reminds me of the shitty clone Hamarist tried to make

You can't fit a porn game on a MSX.
I'd like to see someone try and have it not be shit

owlboy has good sprites idk if it's ever coming out though

I hope you're implying he failed to finish it, that would make me very happy.

Pixel art is as much for the lazy as any other medium. It's not like phil fish's work would look better had he tried some other style, he's just creatively bankrupt.

Reminds me of the Iconoclasts in that sense.

I haven't heard /furry/ shitpost about it for awhile, so it's either still being worked on, or abandoned.

Now if you want to see a drama-filled failure to laugh at, look up Jasonafex's "Bareback Streets". Everything wiggles like jello, he treats the project like its his own, even though he can't animate and requires everyone to do it for him. He exploded on journal comments more than twice.

NEAT

IIRC the emulator is up and running

Um, you sure about that?

phil fish was actually a really good graphic designer, he deleted his DA so i can't prove it
the special edition of fez would probably be one of the best one if it wasn't for the shittest game

Than why did he become a dj? Surely if you're talented, you can make some nice cash.

I doubt I'd appreciate his designs, but it's interesting to know

talent != skill != cash

He probably made plenty of money off fez anyhow.

If there's anything that was weird, it was how quickly he picked up DJ'ing over anything else (I think) he's done before.

/thread

They're called cinematic platformers because of the way they make use of cinematic sequences for things (death animations,etc.). They're much more slow-paced and whatnot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game#Cinematic_platform_game

Summer, fornicate thou.

I assure you I post year-round. Also, by "cinematic sequence" I mean short cutscenes, and by "slow-paced" I meant literally the character's pace is slower.

I bet you don't like Another World, you faggot.

To the trash it goes.

Unfortunately the push for making every game a cinematic experience has retroactively poisoned the experience.

Game looks fine, but the character sprite is just one big meme

quality post

the ironing

personally I think the backgrounds are above average, but average is a pretty fucking low bar, these are okay.

character sprite is dogshit terrible

this actually looks good,but muppet nose is used kinda repetitively on the sprites

So, for anyone who wants to retrofag because they genuinely love the aesthetic of old, do you recommend they actually try and develop for an old console?

Only recent good pixial art I seen was from a Ghost Song that was crowd funded. Wonder what ever happened to it, since it has yet to come out. Not surprising either, since its only one guy making it.

it's from SNK vs Capcom Chaos

So, if you don't mind me asking, have there been any games that have chose the route of going without limitations AND tried to push themselves as far as they could in the medium? Asking as someone who isn't too hip on the medium itself, but I can respect that effort games w

as a kid I didn't have too many video games prior to making the jump to 3D, minus a few Sega Genesis games, including Aladdin, which was fun as hell, if slightly frustrating>>9810576

Yes, not much lately though. I don't feel motivated to work on anything.
Partially because my degenerate art is more popular than my normal art.

Always. Also, fanart.

..What?

Artists did not get any better just because they now have fancier tools to play with, the fundamentals are still the same. A better artist is still going to be more expensive to hire.

Cinematic platformers have nothing to do with modern "press start to play the movie" video games so I don't see how they poisoned anything

You're just getting triggered by a word regardless of context like you're from tumblr.

This isn't pixel art. It was drawn first and then pixelated. The colors are done by hand though.

SNK did their fighting sprites by rotoscope capture, and Capcom drew every frame on paper for Street Fighter III. Are they also not pixel art?

As opposed to what? To being done by foot?
Or we had an AI proficient at picking colors back then?

I wonder if people of the future will be able to get past the more abstract video game visuals of past games, like from the DOS era, or if they will forever remain unplayed by future plebs.

I thought kingdom looked really damn good. I couldn't understand why the player character looked so bland, but the vegetation and use of 3D effects was stunning.

I found your drawing tool user.

Pixel art has emphasis on individual pixels. That's the only distinction.

This is very crisp, sharp, and professional, but it is not pixel art.

Thanks guys. I hardly ever get any compliments from my art so I actually really appreciate the comments.
To answer question
I've been doing pixel art as a hobby for about 10 years give or take. Just one day took a street fighter sprite into MS Paint and went to town with them. It really helped me learn color theory and shading as well as the human anatomy.

Hell, I'd buy it.

That's nice dude. Kinda has a neo geo pocket fighter look to it, which I love.

Even when you CAN do it in any color you want, you shoulden't considering that no object is made up of one color or shade unless it's Vantablack cloth.

You do dithering or detail right and people see shit that isn't there. You one-color it and people see shit.

how do you let this shit happen to you?

it's coming out. It's probably gonna be pretty good too, considering it's taken them like 3 years longer than it was supposed to.

See that clock tower in the back ground?
It's a 3D model.

DJing is a meme occupation that literally anyone can do. Can you count to four? Congratulations you have all it takes to become a competent DJ.

t. ex preofessional DJ

Ya, nah. Fuck off.

how the fugg did you do that

Look, Imma pixel artist too!

damm user, i should love girls with huge pauldrons

1. download gimp
2. open image (has to be an uncompressed image for accurate results, so no jpegs)
3. colors > info > colorcube analysis

thasnk you

The only fucking time you're ever gonna fucking see me play a pixelshit game is if it was actually from the fucking era. Or if someone somehow managed to make a tribute to PC98 eroge. haha not fucking happening, son.

Now, what I AM waiting for is some Quake-style low poly bullshit a la devil daggers except a full fucking product.

nah.

The pixel art you're mocking were drawn ahead of time, but the shading and colors were redone to make them work on systems with limited color.

What you're doing is mocking an artist for making a rough sketch first. You're retarded and don't understand the methods involved, nor do you appreciate the beauty in it.

Because your "pixel art" would get you fired for clashing with the art.

You used a real photo and put it through a filter. The actual artists drew that shit themselves, photgraphed/scanned in the result, then went over it within limitations.

You have no idea what it takes to make this shit.

Image you posted is not a pixel art.
Here if you want drawings, have one.

I don't need to, because you're an idiot who doesn't appreciate it anyway, unless this is some roundabout way to be a hypocritical asshole.

If you're fishing for pixel art, then ask, retard.

I appreciate real pixel art, not lazily photoshopped drawings.
Drawings themselves may be good, but just filtering them is not pixel art.

Have to agree, unlike something like Flashback where the animations gave the control delay some perceived weight it just seems like they did it without thinking of why they were doing it.

oh, and this WASN'T drawn out beforehand?

You're just shitting on shit that "triggers" you at this point. You hate anime, we get it.

Simple or complex, both are fine.

There's a difference between being sketched and then drawn using pixel methods, and being literally a drawing run through a pixelized compression filter.

Which I told the guy, they were not.

In order for something like that to occur, it's not a filter. You have to go in and redo all of the shading and color, using a baseline drawing.

The shit he's talking about is not filtered in any way, shape, or form, he's the one who put that up.

That shit is simply how it was done. All of it was done by hand, with a rough sketch.

Ackchually…

haha what an autist

As fantastic as this is, I'm just wondering why anyone would do this in excel.

Both of you have something of a point. On the one hand, actually drawing something from scratch in DPaint or something else without opacity/anti-aliasing capability does tend to enforce a particular style.

On the other hand, aside from just obvious stuff like resolution and color palette, there were (especially on older platforms) many other constraints on video output as shows, and yet more constraints imposed by storage/compression and game engine limitations. These easily accumulated to the point where even a scanned drawing/photograph took a great deal of human interpretation, both in the creation/use of automatic tools and painstaking hand-massaging after/between automated steps, to get the "right" look.

Both of these contributed to the MASSIVE quality gap between more talented devs and less talented ones for even the simplest games on older systems.

Because they can, and if they can then they must.

Pretty sure his talents didn't match up with his desire for effort. Once was enough, that, and he hated every last one of us and wanted to "deprive" people of something.

Christ that looks beautiful. Is it possible to have something like that set as a background?

I agree with this. The game is really fun but I wish it was more heavy akin to Prince of Persia or Flashback. And there's something off about the crawling animation

It fucks with me because the obscuring shadows are basically just long extruded black geometry that extend toward camera. Can't unsee it.

Oh yes, the crawling is a bit too tedious for me, seen faster toddlers.

Well that too but the animation itself feels very low quality compared to anything else in the game

I found my old flashcart and started playing some bleach dark souls on it. This game is fun as fuck and the sprites look pretty sweet too.

if any of you fags have a flashcart, download it and give it a whirl. it's a simple little fighter that is so much greater than the sum of it's parts.

So this is where all those shitty mugen toons came from.

ok

Does anybody use their own pixel art when it comes to MUGEN?

There are characters with custom sprites, but they're in the minority and usually aren't balanced to compete with anything in particular.

OP, you and every other fag who acts like this stop acting so high of yourselves, OP you could have have just brought this to peoples eyes and asked for opinions but no you had to make it this pile of shit instead.

You pretty much only in the OP you insulted the users here which is a massive dick move, next time you make a thread consider this and avoid this, because not abandoning it and posting some nice pixel art was a good move but reading the OP and the shit up response here is all I'm putting up with in this thread.

Thank you for you time reading.