REBOOTS

Name one good game that was a reboot of a franchise
Dante Must Die Mode: Name one good reboot that surpassed the original series in quality

Your pic I assume is for hard mode

Banjo
Mega
Devil May
Crash
Castle
Need for
Tony Hawk
Metroid-
I'm out of ideas

Reboots or remakes?

reboots, no remakes

You no mess with Lo Wang.

Ninja Gaiden.

The new Ratchet & Clank is pretty good. The writing generally isn't on par with the rest of the non-spinoffs, but the gameplay is great.

Just S ranked this thread in the highest difficulty

It was though.

Prince of Persia and the Sands of Time was a reboot I think.

Only one I can think of is Sands of Time.

I actually liked DmC way more than the originals. But i only played DMC3 so far.

Prince of Persia sands of time

Fuck beat me to it.

This bait is amazing

We know, faggot, you posted this in the other thread too.

We were both beat.

Super Mario Bros. 3

The reboot that surpassed any previous game and still outshines the other reboots to this day.
Simply put, its a shining example of a perfected formula and the fact that it comes so early in the Mario Bros. franchise is also a pretty great example of a time before you actually had genre tropes and staples. When people were just trying new shit left and right.

Battlefield 3
Resident Evil
Skyrim 2

this.

nice bait

So "reboot" just means "sequel" now?

Get out of here Tameme, your game failed, get over it

But its not a sequel. Its a complete overhaul of the mechanics, the story, the lore, the look and feel of the worlds.
Its as much a sequel to the previous games as Super Mario 64 is a sequel to Super Mario World.
They're completely different in so many ways that they're just completely different games. Only some of the names and faces are the same.

I would also go on to say that OoT was probably the best Reboot of Zelda games. Its technically a remake of A Link To The Past when you get right down to it.

Fallout 3 was a great overhaul of the series. Shame it was lightning in a bottle.

…So it's a big sequel. To which I say big whoop.

If SMB3 was titled "Super Mario Brothers" but was now a first-person shooter starring Dante Mario on a quest to kill the men that kidnapped his son, then I'd believe it was a reboot.

how is that a reboot? it's the third game, hence the name.

Find the nearest electric fence and grasp it firmly, Todd.

You're really exaggerating how drastic the changes were in any of those games. SMB3, 64, and OoT are all expansions on the former games. They may have some big changes but they're still sequels.

A reboot is when you restart a franchise - wipe the slate clean and start anew. Considering there's a big 3 in the title and the fact that the gameplay in it is very much informed by its predecessors, I'd be hard-pressed to call SMB3 a fucking reboot.

At least try to put some effort into this shit.

Well the concept of a "reboot" didn't exist at that point.
But if you want to get technical on that point
Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros.

And seriously, every Zelda game is technically a reboot. Its only recently that there's been some sort of official "timeline" because fanboys are pushy retards.

Well im saying again. Deal with it. It was a more fun game.

It features completely different gameplay. Some elements are borrowed from it (the labyrinth-like levels), but on the whole there's far more different than there is similar.

Then every Final Fantasy is a reboot as well.
In reality, they're not, because story isn't the sole defining factor of a reboot (or any game for that matter). The gameplay of each one has always just added or changed that of the former game, not completely reinvent them. Of course eventually with enough changes the gameplay would seem drastically different between distant installments, you can track those changes through the previous games.

There was an 8 year gap between Wolf 3D and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, and Wolf 3D barely has anything to do with the old Apple II games besides the setting and maze like levels. In fact, it wasn't until Wolf 3D that the protagonist was officially refereed to as BJ Blazkowicz, where as the old games you just played as a nameless soldier.

Killer Instinct

DMD mode requirements fulfilled

Spec Ops: The Line
Battlezone

Star Fox 64 was a reboot of a series with one game.

Here's a better one.

Unfortunately that ended here.

I'll never understand the decisions behind fallout sequels. The entire fucking world or at least the entire united states is fucked by nuclear war. You can set it near any time after the bombs dropped and really any place.

So they pick hundreds of years after the fucking fact and yet there is still food to be found in the original packaging in these bombed out stores that should be used as shelters or torn apart for material.

Eh, whatever. I always try to pretend its like 50 years after the bombs drop or something.

Tomb Raider Aniversary.

If Fallout 3 counts as a reboot then I'd say Fallout New Vegas, if reboot spinoffs count.
and I'd say that FNV is better than 1 or 2 as well

I almost fell for it because I do know a guy that believes this, but he's far too casual to post on a place like this
not compared to tumblr and reddit

DMC from what I playe was good, like all it would be better if entirely free of weaboo filth.

Initial char designs had more character an seemed more serious.

The need of things to be stupid for scum to approve of should always be taken as a degenerate direction. Appeasing it degrades such wothless parasites further. They need hings to be stupid and show of stupidity as hetter, reappropriating better to seem to represent stupidity… Because by that they aren't treated as they are and are too.

They want to gain and do not care that things will be destroyed by their unworthy gain.

Reboots aren't a bad thing. Infact a lot of times they're necessary.

Imagine from the dev's perspective. You're making a sequel to a game from 20 years ago. Most of the people who have played it in the past have probably forgotten all about it. The playerbase for that game is maybe 10-20% of who's going to actually buy the sequel.

A reboot is a more convenient way to make a game. It's not always a perfect solution but there is a reason why people do it. And it's not necessarily a bad thing. There are excellent examples of good reboots.

For me the difference between a lot of "good" reboots and the more shitty ones we commonly associate with them are that "good" reboots actually try new things and use the original as a jumping off point. Like Deus Ex Human Revolution was a prequel to the original set in a similar but different setting where they decided to talk about more topical human augmentation with mechanical limbs. Return to Castle Wolfenstein allowed for things like more supernatural elements like levels where you raid tombs and so forth. Tomb Raider Legend and later Anniversary took the original series and made it appeal to a much broader audience that wanted to play puzzle platformers but didn't want shit controls and confusing level design getting in the way.

Games do need to change and adapt with times. And there are always hundreds of examples of games that are just retrobait that nobody ends up playing. Look at how many people cared when a game like Wrack came out.

You'd be surprised

Also

Human Revolution was a disappointment, but you're right about Wolf.

Next Level Games did a fantastic job at bringing Punch-Out!! out of retirement with Punch-Out!! (Wii). Hopefully they'll be given another shot at it where they can deviate a little more from the formula.

Also, Retro Studios did such a fantastic job with the original Prime that people still complain whenever they get a new game announced that isn't Metroid-related. The Prime sub-series has eclipsed most of the other titles in the Metroid series in popularity to the point where any and all spin-offs include Prime in the title, even if they have literally nothing to do with Retro's efforts (Prime Pinball, Prime Hunters, and Prime: Federation Force).

reboots are by definition cancer and shit

Mortal Kombat 9 was easily the best entry in the Mortal Kombat series when it came out. NetherRealm Studios managed to bring the series' gameplay back to the basics, include more single-player content than any prior fighting game, and managed to recap all three of the original trilogy's stories in an interesting way. Say what you will about how WB Interractive went on to become one of the worst publishers of fighting games, MK9 was a hit and no one could take that away from NRS.

Killer Instinct is bigger than it ever was now that it is the XBone's flagship fighter (and Windows 10's, if you're feeling really cancerous). Its quality is right in line with its predecessors (maybe slightly better) and it has a reasonably dedicated competitive scene. Definitely deserves a mention. Double Helix and Iron Galaxy (both the developers of KI) are the only companies so far to have succeeded in bringing back a Rare IP, and KI 2013 may be the only good thing to come out of Microsoft's ownership of Rare (not counting rereleases).

I'm unsure if metal gear solid counts since it's a sequel.

Electric fences aren't constantly powered, they turn on and off so the person who touches them instinctively falls off instead of getting stuck holding it and dying

Driver: San Francisco, a.k.a. the game only three or so surviving Driver fans played.
It's pretty much a return to the series' roots, all driving and none of that GTA bullshit, and honestly second only to the first game in the series.

That was pretty good. Not perfect, but enjoyable enough.

please be bait please be bait please be bait please be bait

No baiting, faggot.

Had nothing in common.
Didn't try to be special.

3D so worthless, a parody not a new experience in excess of previous ones.

Should stick with sprites made of 3D assets. Make great assets, more memory now could have every level play out without repetition.

Instead went for the stupid presentation. Apologetic, the player expected to share the inadequacy as their shared identity, united against quality, which is a mean enemy. Telling the player pretending fun is all there is.

Wii had Metroid Prime 3, and with better controls it could have had Twilight Princess.

Good enough is insufficient. And the shit visuals don't look anywhere near adequate.

The devs commited themselves to making something they didn't know if would be good or not. If it was great it would be indeniable to them. No excuses for making things that aren't incredible an beautiful. By doing otherwise you don't deserve to be in a better world, having inflicted what came out from you into one that wouldn't be heaven for them to live in. Or at least worth being in. A stupid world is an attack on the characters in it, could be all that is stupid is incomplete and to fix. Disgusting. Helping such filth mag damn all that goes to make it better, asccociation with sheer stupidity. Overpower it in it perhaps, or add detail to what is untill it is no longer stupid.

If skmethkng is considered eternal yet the outings prior were perfect and complete, like OOT, another outing should be vastly innovative, and coming when it wants to. Not repeating the same story, not with continuity. The Legend of Zelda has no time line. The Legend has more glory with more story or told differently. The important thing is there is glory.

Nice gibberish, but I can't even see a trace of a coherent thought within it.

But the secrets were more creative and funnier in the original.

I would be.

You think superiority lies in inability.
Any payment to conformity, for security.

Victory in that direction would atrophy existance along with the means to percieve it.

Glory for those otherwise.

Go a bit lighter on the drugs.

Double Dragon: Neon. Fantastic soundtrack, good humor, and solid core gameplay. Very worthy of the Double Dragon name and one of my favorite games of last generation.

That's a remake. Womb Raider is the reboot.

I think that goes without saying, but the new game surprised me by not being shit.

Flawed as it is, I still like it a lot.

Are you a rap God?

Kid Icarus: Uprising. The other two games are basic platformers with a couple of neat features. The reboot is a TPS that doesn't feel that bad on the 3DS.
If I worked at Nintendo I'd make sure a sequel would be out for the NX as a launch title. Add some multiplayer features and it could complement Splatoon as a multiplayer TPS

it's a third sequel to original games fag.

have you played Chapter 1, with Pit making fun of how long they've been away?

Rage of the Dragons is the best Double Dragon game, though. Great atmosphere, fun fightan. Also has my favorite designs for Billy and Jimmy. Neon's still a really solid beat em up though.

I'M A SPIRITUAL LYRICAL INDIVIDUAL SPIRITUAL MIRACLE LYRICAL INDIVIDUAL SPIRITUAL MIRACLE INDIVIDUAL