Nipponese Learning Thread

Learn Japanese user, 1 hour less shit shitposting each day and you can soon play Japanese video games!

docs.google.com/document/d/1ynwmcFwy0ccT70cVRp-G97fYlcf-GYZ86T62SvQMDdY/pub?embedded=true

If you are already learning or already know Nipponese, post the Nipponese
games you are playing and the Nipponese only games you hope to play.

Nip only game of the thread: Summer Lesson

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/a/res/459076.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_grammar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attributive_verb
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1352417623
gematsu.com/2016/05/osomatsu-san-game-revealed-ps-vita
realkana.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-language_acquisition#Stages
classic.jisho.org/words?jap=分身&eng=&dict=edict
genki.japantimes.co.jp/self_en
genki.japantimes.co.jp/site/self/site/js/hiragana1.htm.
realkana.com/
google.com/search?q=銃 マンガ&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinmrnoh8zNAhWH6x4KHSXmAnkQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=943
twitter.com/mombot/status/747752820292542464
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
pastebin.com/DgZ84qwk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom's_taxonomy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

where you at niggers, i was surprised of how much i remembered in my mad cram session.

i still only know the basics of grammar, send help

I recently started playing through FFX in Japanese. i honestly haven't had any problems so far. Since I know the game in English I haven't had any problems understanding what's going on. Since the game is voiced and subed, I have found it to be a good way of picking up new kanji.
I lied, I haven't actually started playing yet.

Okay, Im grinding the kana on a daily fashion, I have a firm grasp of it and I only need to commit everything to long term memory.

Now I want to test the kanji waters, but even after reading the OP guide Im still confused as how I should go about it.

So let me get this straight: apparently you need to know the Kanji radicals "the bulding blocks" in order to at least have an understanding of what a complex kanji might mean when you first see it, so I need to learn two sets of pronunciations for each one (the kun/on yomi), the meanings of said radicals and their stroke order, not only that, you need to learn their simplified forms because you dont fit them in their entirity when you write kanji.

So you have this Heisig thing that teaches the radicals slowly without telling you their meanings until later, that seems impractical to me, plus the critisisms made by this Tae Kim guy who has this guide that is also critisized for being too simplistic. You also have the Imabi site that seems to be mostly about grammar and GeneticKanji that, at first glance seems pretty confusing, I have no idea what to click to get back in the index once you click a kanji and open up its ramifications.

So the logical course of action, in my mind, should consist of getting the Heisig RTK book, compliment the lessons there with the kanji meanings, and to do some grammar as I slowly progress. Starting with grammar from the get go seems like a bit of a suicide given all the kanji Im seeing in the lessons.

Is this a good course of action?

Im falling asleep on the keyboard right now, maybe some parts of this dont make a lot of sense

I imported Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi and after one night i figured out all the menus and i can basically play the entire game without looking at the translation i printed out, it's actually kinda neat how little time i needed to adjust.

Also staring at all the weapon inscriptions with all the kanjis is making me remember certain patterns, because out of necessity i had to memorize certain ones to quickly recognize useful inscriptions.

However if i knew japanese i could understand the banter between the characters and their stories, so it's kinda sad that my ignorance prevents me from enjoying that aspect of the game.

Also if i knew how to add ¥ to my japanese account i could get all the cool ass themed costumes, so i'm missing out on that as well.

The best course of action,if you aren't an autistic faggot like me, it's going with Tae Kim way. Start reading shit,and when you find a new kanji,learn it and so the pronunciation with some vocab to remember it.It starts slow(and probably a bit more frustrating) but it's the fastest way to really learn something.

The RTK teaches you the meaning of the kanji in the first book,then it adds the most common and used pronunciation in the second book.In the third,it adds other kanji and their pronunciation.
The radicals are useful to get some kind of understanding of what a Kanji could be.You don't need to learn the pronunciation of them.But not every kanji follow this rule and with time as you learn more kanji it will become useless. Many Kanji RTK teaches aren't used, some are used rarely,some have the same meaning of another one,etc. If you want deep knowledge of the language it's okay,but if you aim to read and play it's useless work.
Same for the pronunciation:there are kanji with tons of pronunciation but most of them are not used except rarely.

As i said above,the Tae Kim method is the best: the more you read,the more you play,the more you listen you will learn the meaning,the pronunciation,the rare exception,etc.

If you really want, i would suggest to study the most used 1200+- kanji that are used always and their most used pronunciation with grammar and then proceed with Tae Kim method.

If Im going to use the Tae Kim approach I feel like I should at least have a grammar safety net, I think the imabi guide should be enough for that

I dont know at what point I should venture into reading shit in straight japanese, though

Berserk apparently has a low difficulty rating, It would be a nice excuse to revisit tyhe manga, but maybe its too much of an overkill?

Why don't you guys all type in Japanese in these threads if you're trying to learn it?
Doesn't speaking a language to other people help you learn it far quicker?

You are making it a little bit more complicated than it is.
Just get the anki deck from the start up guide and learn vocabulary, you have to learn vocabulary anyway.
You don't need to bother with radicals, just go to jisho and check out the meaning of the kanji you'll encounter, while learning vocabulary.

You'll often pick up their readings and meaning while learning new words, you'll notice that a kanji with a certain meaning is often in many words that have a similar meaning so you don't even have to look it up most of the time.

My advice: Go get the vocabulary deck from the start up guide and start learning, after you learned like 500-1000 words (the more the better) you can start learning grammar.

For grammar Tae Kim is alright, but I personally really enjoyed "Japanese the Manga Way" it explains using real manga and it's easy to understand, the only problem is that there are no exercises to practice what you just learned.

because not everyone has a perfect grasp of japanese you fucking 馬鹿

Why not the grammar guide on Tae Kim?

If you go on the /a/ thread there is a excel document with manga and their complex level plus download link

mostly because after doing some digging I found some people recommending Imabi over Tae Kim

at first glance it does look more in depth

wich thread? Ctlr+F says nein

日本語は難しいですよ。
It's not so easy bruh.

This one: 8ch.net/a/res/459076.html
I'm going to check imabi and see how it is

相手がないから。こいつら本当に覚えてるって思った?

is this some VR thing?

アンデゥアチンチョングニプノングチユヤングラヂ

found this on the resource part

guess I will try Tae Kim first

Only language that matters is english tbh

何て言ってるのか?

And a chin chong nip nong to you young lady

貴方はバカよね。

そうだな。。。

Fuck you

そうですな、私の日本語はまだ弱いだが、読むことが簡単です。

いいえ、日本語は難しいではない、たった漢字の覚えているは難しい。文法とか、話とか、アラブ語比べたらすごく簡単。

What are those user?

Lad, I have a feeling I should be seeing conjugations and substitutions.

/               \  \.       /      ',     、      ヽ  ヽ.        '     /   ム     ヽ     ム  ム      /   , ,イ     ム     ム      ',   ,    〃   / / i|     } 、     ',   ./ '.   , ,  {     ⊥-弋 ̄   i i     i   i   / ,i   { {i  マ     !   \   i} i|      |   |i    < どや~  ,  {  ΤⅥ'‐-ェ\   i  r≠芹笊マrュ    |   |i  ,.  ム  i! V ,,rェュ,,_\  i ´ { {:::tし} }》    i|   |i     i  l  ',《´不沁 ヾノ    .辷少' ,イ }    i  八 .i  i  マ i!.  \ 乂ソ            /  /     ,   /. 人  | ∧ ヾ   ヽ   、        / ,イ  ./ /  ∧   \! i{、 \ム  }ヾ、           /.//  / '  / ム    ヽ} \ノ   八     、   , ./´ /  /   .∧   ム      ,イ  / 个ュ ,,_     _,.イ  λ        \     /  ,イ  __{__厂`ー≧ ≦ /  ./ ハ __      ≧ュ。_    / / / { /  ヽ /⊥ハ/    ,イノ//>''´ `ヽ       ≧ュ。_    Ⅵr

Flamethrowers don't work that way.

Generative Grammar is a grammar based on the Universal Grammar theory. It basically states that language is wired into our brains unlike animals. Humans can learn any language unlike animals who only know signs. Basically, acquire language from getting exposed to the grammar of a language and then forming your own grammar. That is why you see kids who learn English make mistakes such as Daddy goed home, no one will say goed, so the child basically formed his own grammar from getting exposed to the language.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_grammar

It is hard for me to explain more. One great thing about Universal Grammar is that it cares not to describe a single language, but all the natural human languages. Thus you can get apparatus and schemas about how to parse languages which work great if you want to be a polyglot, imo.

any resources you'd recommend if I wanted to get into that?

While that is true, I'm still to dumb to write simple sentences.

Doubt that it's fake.

Smugness will only make my flames worse.

ISIS pls go, its like you know Arabic language.

Absolutely, my Theoretical Syntax professor recommended me pic related and am I so grateful. It is way better than the shit that I have been studying in the major. I had an abridged book on pdf from a torrent site, I'll link as soon as I find it again.

It is understandable, user. Because Japanese is a ==HEAD FINAL LANGUAGE== where the heads of phrases are after their dependents (contrasts: to school / 学校 に)Relative clauses are even more headaches.

だが、アノンくん、私は本当のアラブ人です。

有難うございます

This is actually really fucking cool.
I'll look around and check if this is viable or effective at all.

Bitch please, give me a language as rich in conjugation as Arabic (or the semitic languages).

Pic related is a conjugation of a single verb in of a certain verb scale (which there are tons of). It includes:

Not to mention that the conjugation is even case-marked and it's end changes depending on its syntactic role + tense + being emphatic.

Reminds me of my programming languages class. I wish English was about this; it's really interesting.

Good luck! Once you master the X-Bar schema or any of its daughters (currently I am on the Bare Phrase Structure + Bar Notion), you will be able to parse sentences in any language. You will actually feel like that you understand shit instead of just memorizing like a recording machine.

It is the damn mathematics of linguistics.

Hello.

I've been going at this for a few months, so I'm still relatively new at it. I've been having to add my own words into Anki since I don't like the way all those other decks are set up. So outside of some general resource sites, I've been grabbing most of my words from games with furigana. Which so far have been Animal Crossing New Leaf and Majora's Mask on 3DS. The only other thing I have is emulating The Thousand Year door. But I don't want to start that until I'm much farther along.

So, I was curious if anyone knew of other games that have support it. (preferably 3DS titles, outside of Pokemon and the other 3DS Zelda.) Anything else that can be emulated or played on PC is fine as well.

Try Spanish.

doing bretty good here

1. I'm only trying to learn how to read, not speak.
2. It only makes sense to practice with native speakers, who can correct your mistakes.

I honestly do not recommend games with furigana. I view it as a hindrance to learning.

Holy fuck is that your mining deck?

Mining deck?

If I was using Furigana as a crutch to just read everything in Hiragana, maybe. But I'm not doing that. It's more so just a means to add to my vocab.

It's irritating as hell trying to look up kanji I'm not familiar with, so studying the word and the kanji simultaneously beats out doing only one or the other by a landslide. At least to me.

I actually see furigana as a bad habit. I know that looking up kanji you don't know is infuriating, but imo it is better to memorize and focus on the kanji and its radicals instead of relying on furigana. A time will come when you will have to cope without it, so start now imo.

It may be irritating, but that's exactly why it's more effective. You have to force yourself to memorize the kanji.

Furigana will always be a crutch, whether you intend it to be or not.

Alright, I see what you mean.

I'll probably think on it some more, thanks.

And on the upside, it also opens up the games you can practice with tremendously, since very few games have furigana.

頑張って!

This was the only game I was interested in buying a VR headset for. It was going to be expensive but with things like this on the horizon I was willing to buy in.

Not anymore. Sony is going to have to think on a bigger scale sales wise if they want to sell this VR shit stateside.

There is a market for waifu simulators, and it is the only market that will push their super expensive VR headsets.

normalfags do not give a fuck, they will not give a fuck, it will not be the new iphone.

ask an N1fag anything

Are there sentences with double が case markings? Like:
俺がそれが分かる。

I'm reluctant to never, but I don't believe that's the common practice, you'd see something more like 俺はそれが分かる。 or more typical in casual speech, dropping the subject and particles like それ、分かる or 分かる、それ。

*say "never"

Fuck
I keep getting going and stopping
i'm motivated as fuck but i don't know where to start

Also, what does the し do in conjugated verbs? 食べし、聞きし、書きし。

Also, what is the difference between 行かないと、行かなきゃ、行かなきゃいけません(?)

Lastly, does Japanese have multiple coordination?
俺と彼と彼女と彼らが行った。
And is the following sentence correct?
俺がリンゴを、魚を、食べた。
In my Japanese grammar book I remember what I believe two noun phrases being marked with を and not being coordinated because AND + と are different.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I've seen it used in some games like this.

for example 選ばれし冒険者 "Chosen Adventurer"

So the 選ばれし would mean a "chosen" prefix.

So it is like 選ばれた冒険者? An old prefix?
I also remember a damn prefix that made me fucking mad because the dictionary didn't have it. That is, replacing い with き、長き、高き. Are these old forms?

This, I'm tired of weeaboo degenerates running around this board speaking gook, the time will come soon enough that you subhumans will face real flame throwers.

those are conjugated like 食べるし、食べたし、食べているし etc. 選ばれし、囚われし are different though, that's a stylistic choice. same with 高き、永き、etc

as for し appearing at the end of words, I don't know how to explain it. take the following uses though for examples: あいつもう寝ているし、放っとこう。 今日はいっぱい楽しんだし、ここにくるのは正解だったじゃん? Think of it as sort of using a verb as a reason for something, if that makes any sense. I can't really articulate it since I never really formally studied the grammar much.

kind of awkward but otherwise correct

maybe? technically? usually you'd use something like 俺がリンゴと魚を食べた。

I'm pretty sure you are right. It's an old form and nowadays maybe used to emphasize or something.

Apparently it works like this:

選ばれた人 -> 選ばれし人 (ru-verb or in this case passive tense)

歩いた人 -> 歩きし人 (godan-verb)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attributive_verb

I really haven't studied the language itself in enough depth to say for sure, but I'm pretty sure a lot of is meant to be old-timey, aristocratic, or extremely formal. read Berserk for shittons of it

yeah

anyway, i'd rather talk about how I learned, instead of language specifics. I thought about writing up a big TL/DR but then I figured people could just ask if they wanted to know anything

Coordination in Japanese still confuses the hell out of me.
Basically, し would probably be a complementizer, a particle/prefix that complement/introduce another sentence, yes? I guess it translates to:
Leave him alone because/since he is already sleeping
Basically し introduced the embedded clause since he is already sleeping, yes?

You have no idea how much this confused the hell out of me while playing through the first Fatal Frame. So much old scrolls. They were also written in Katakana because I heard that long ago males wrote in Katakana and females wrote in Hiragana. Kinda explains why Hiragana is neat while Katakana is rough.

Nice chart Ahkmed, unfortunately you have to go back.

If you suck dicks more deep and frequent enough, you could learn japanese faster. Some basic tips, the っ is pronounced like a choke sound. Something like how you choked on dicks in all sudden during blowjobs.

eg: よかった yokatta, がんばって ganbatte ect.You'll get the idea.

Don't be confused with つ, the letter is slightly bigger and it's pronounced as tsu.

the っ also indicates past tanse of that word.

eg : 読みだった yomidatta (was reading)

ない combination after a word is always negative word.

じゃない means "not". じゃないかった means "was not". These indicate negative word.

eg:
読みだった yomidatta (was reading)
読みじゃないかった yomijanaikatta (wasn't reading)

See how だった and かった altering the meaning of paste tanse word grammatically. To use かった, the word must indicate negative form of ない combination.

Congratulation!, you just learn how to fucking read a book nigger.

The rest of grammatical shit are particles which I'm not really good yet.

そんなこと危ないよ

Maybe you should stop thinking about dicks so much. Then your grammar would be good.

I don't know these words. See this discussion on し as a part of grammar though: detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1352417623 The one guy gives an example of the other major use: giving a list of things like descriptions, reasons, etc. like 部屋も広いし、食事もおいしいし、それに静かで、景色もきれいです。 だから、いつもこのホテルに泊まるんです。

Explain the difference between が and は.

は = topic marker. Marks OLD INFORMATION
が= Subject marker and marks NEW INFORMATION

Example:
猫がいる!
その猫は魚を食べた。

So in this sense, は is a bit like a. Here is the translation:
A cat is here!
The cat ate a fish
See how we switched the articles because in the first sentence cat was NEW INFORMATION and in the second sentence it is OLD INFORMATION

Thats one usages that I know, though.

no. google 「は」と「が」の使い分け

は would be the "is" in those sentences

DJG > Tae Kim

Prove me wrong. Pro Tip:
I'm not 100% sure you can

anyway, the reason I don't know dick about formal japanese grammar is the same reason japs don't it either: you don't have to know it to use japanese, and learning it is a waste of time. In japanese, and all languages probably, context is everything. if I had to type up something real quick for everyone in this thread because I gotta get to the gym before it closes it'd be: Don't learn grammar, don't learn vocab, don't learn kanji; LEARN WHOLE SENTENCES ONLY. i'll elaborate on that later if I have to

But user, is is a copular verb like です・だ, is it not?

I disagree, user. When I want to learn something, I want to know WHY it is. But ye, most people of any language don't give a fuck about the standard, sadly.

誰このブス

There's nothing wrong with knowing the whys and hows of a language you're interested in, and it helps if you're going to be writing in it. what I'm saying though, is that people who just want to be able to understand the japanese they read and hear, which I would assume is 90+% of the anons in these threads, it's not required, and often slows down or hinders the learning process.

oh right, yea. it really doesn't translate to anything then, just marks the subject. another issue with trying to learn particles by themselves

I disagree, you need to understand grammar and structure.
However i can honestly say that you can read a million books on a language and they won't really help you much in a pratical, everyday situation.

My english is self taught, and what i did back in the day was, i went to an english speaking forum, and i just spoke with people there, every day.
It was a forum about video games and i just discussed video games with them all day, every day, for years.

The NUMBER ONE THING that will make you quickly learn another language is forcing yourself in a situation where you absolutely need to learn that language if you want to talk to other human beings.
It triggers something deep within your brain, it's almost like a survival instinct, it's essentially like stranding yourself on an island willingly, you either learn how to make a fire and hunt for food, or you die.

So one should learn grammar and structure first on a basic level, and then interact with people speaking that language, every single day, watch media from that language, play games in that language, immerse yourself in that language as much as you can, you'll feel lost and desperate, it will be extremely frustrating, and eventually that frustration will turn into determination and somehow you'll start to understand more and more until you can fully express yourself in that language.

This was my personal experience with english, i assume it should pretty much work the same way for all other languages.

Very true.

I have to ask thu, user. I know now the 1006 kanji of primary school. How well will I do on lvl 3-2-1 tests? I am learning middle school/high school kanji as I am playing games, but what is the rough number of kanji needed to pass lvl 2-1?

Lad, completely the opposite opinion.
You need a fundamental beginning in grammar.
A dictionary of grammar is not meant to be a substitution for real experience with the language, but a learning supplement.

Pretty Patel is also not ugly

French.

Je suis beau

Je suis belle

Nous sommes français

Tu es beau

Tu es belle

Vous êtes beaux

Vous êtes beaux

Vous êtes belles

Il est beau

Elle est belle

Ils sont beaux

Elles sont belles.

Now the dual doesn't show but I think some rules do apply to it in some specific sentences constructions.

But you can remove them… because here are four more:

On est beau = Undefined

Nous sommes beau = First Person Singular Formal (Male)

Nous sommes belle = First Person Singular Formal (Female)

Vous êtes beau = Second Person Singular Formal (Male)

Vous êtes belle = Second Person Singular Formal (Female)

Now ready for the fun part?

In french you have seven different moods indicative, subjunctive, conditional, imperative, infinitive, participle, and gerund.

Each moods has a number of tense.
For the indicative there are eight:
Present, Present perfect, Imperfect, Pluperfect
Simple past, Past perfect, Simple future, Future perfect.

So you have 15 time 8 = 120 forms possible in the indicative.

Then 4 in Subjunctive (Present, Past, Imperfect, Pluperfect), 2 in Imperative (present, past), 3 in Conditional (Present, Past, Pluperfect).

Then you have the non-verbal moods, 2 in Infinitive (Present, Past), 2 in Participle (Present, past) and Gerund which we can exlude.

In the Imperative mood there only10 instead of 15.

So that's 245 possible forms.

Want more fun?

French verbs are classified in 3 families.

Regular.
Irregular regular.
Irregular.

Want to know how many irregular regular there is?

Around 300.

Want to know how many irregular there is?

Around 370.

Want even more fun?

Some verbs only exist at a specific pronouns at a certain tense in a certain mood.

Still want more fun?

The only rule about french grammar is that EVERY rule of french grammar has exceptions (and is therefore… not a rule).

proving my point. in your case, you needed to study grammar first because you wanted to interact with native speakers and not get laughed out of the forum. while my japanese composition is a far cry from your english, I can understand about 99% of what I read/hear on a daily basis, so it worked for me in that regard.

is exactly how I learned japanese, except the interaction was limited mostly to fucking around in f2p jap mmos. thanks for saving me from writing it all out like that though

not well? there isn't a kanji section per se, instead a section on word readings and "which word fits best in the following sentence?" kind of shit. sure, knowing kanji helps, but you mostly need to know word readings and meanings for that part

you can get a "fundamental beginning" in grammar by skimming through Genki I over a week, don't get hung up on it. I mean it, really. Instead of trying to find the meaning or usage of 「し」, compile a list of sentences containing it (used as a particle, of course). compare a few of them and it's "meaning", if it could be said to have one, and usage becomes obvious, regardless of whether you can articulate that to your grammar teacher or not

Impressive.
Do verbs in French have clitics? Like, can the verb agree with the subject and the object? Arabic example:
Darab-u-hu
Hit-they-him
They hit him

JLPT soon.

Too stressed to cram, gonna fail, money wasted.

How long did it take you to get to N1?

Call me a 3dpd normalfag but I want to find a qt japanese gf.

Japanese girls don't magically become not 3D.

Go read Gaijin Smash's articles on how much sex the schoolgirls in his class were having.

3D=PD

You'll never learn Japanese with such a shallow and impure goal.

Japanese women are some of the most manipulative, cold blooded bitches on planet earth.
If you think western women are evil you ain't seen nothing yet.

I know. But they're the closest to 2D there is.

Better than being cucked and JUST'ed by western women.

No they're not.

Japanese women do that too; they're pretty much 100% certain to do that to some idiot, ugly faced, skinny ass gaijin who falls in love with any asian woman that looks at him twice like a retarded, racist puppy.

You have really bad yellow fever right now and should probably see a doctor.

Who is the closest to 2D then, user?

And yes, I do have yellow fever. It's terminal.

I took up to Japanese III in my uni and did pretty well, only thing is that sometimes I forget words and my kanji is baby-level. Good news is that I'm reaching certain oral comprehension level and it was the same when I learned English, so I have hopes I can keep learning.

As for nihonese game I want to play, it comes out next year: gematsu.com/2016/05/osomatsu-san-game-revealed-ps-vita

about 6 years all told. It went: ~2 years half-assing my learning, trying to use textbooks and other shitty resources to learn, wasting time with chans and vidya and shit, then ~2 years hardcore, jap-only immersion-based studying with jap games, VNs, anime (no subs), jap dramas (also no subs), manga, etc. etc. then 2 years college in english, where I was too busy with classes to properly study anymore and I feel my japanese actually regressed, then I took the JLPT. no actual JLPT-specific prep was done.

You fool! Anime has nothing to do with 3DPD Japan at all. Did you think 3DPD Japanese people really acted like they do in Anime? No! 2D transcends everything. It transcends nations, languages, and cultures.

2D is love.

2D is life.

I've watched so much anime I've become complacent. Why can't the real world be as happy and cute?

Pay a whore for the girlfriend experience.
Japanese people aren't retarded; they know exactly the type of creepy white guy that's only interested in Japan because of some disneyesque delusion of how Japanese women are. You will be mocked.

You took the N1 straight up? You'd never done any of the previous levels? That's pretty impressive.

Any recommendations for VN's and anime based on skill level?
Like beginner-intermediate-expert or something? Also where would I even find J-drama, all I've got for non-anime listening comprehension practice is TV streams filled with fuck awful variety shows and adverts.

Pkay the Inazuma Eleven games in Japanese. They're aimed at children so they have kanji with furigana and they're pretty easy to understand.

Because you're an autist? Maybe find a small, white, conservative town.

I don't think I'm autistic. I just live in my room and only leave it to get food and work.

You're not gonna find any qts in your roomor japan, user.

I found plenty of qt's recently when I started watching To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Post them. I'm curious now how shit your taste is.

Lurk more and watch it yourself.

佐天ってクソだ

Because 3DPD is our sin.

I'm told taking the levels that "don't count for anything", in other words, below N1, is a waste of time and money.

as far as recommendations go, it's complicated. for one, you need to figure out your "japanese mental age", so to speak. as in, "I understand japanese on an age N level" or "on at an Nth grade level" and focus on material aimed at or just about that age group's level. yes, you may have to suffer through a lot of kiddie shit, but there is stuff that's for all ages too, like よつばと!

secondly, you have to find resources you're going to enjoy using, or you'll burnout. some people recommend VNs, which are nice because most of them you can rip the text from using tools, as you read it, which makes looking up kanji and making flash cards easy. some people can't stand VNs though. best way though is to remember why you want to learn japanese in the first place and just fucking do it. starting today.

I forget where I got my j-drama from tbh. I've been out of that scene for a few years now. last thing I watched I think was 半沢直樹 which was badass, that and リーガルハイ with the same lead actor. nyaa.se has a live action category, you could try there

as far as "levels" go by medium though, I would rank from easiest to hardest: anime (aimed at younger audiences, voices done by pro VAs = good enunciation, etc), manga (kid's and all-ages, furigana on some words), light novels (young adult fiction, SAO-tier shit, again furigana), printed fiction without furigana, dramas (people talk fast, enunciate poorly, ambient noise, mature themes/settings like crime, medicine, etc), then lastly printed nonfiction like newspapers, journals. maybe.

同感だ

Btw what kind of test is JLPT? Is it like multiple choice, or do they grade you on your writing?

it's a 100% fill-in-the-circles, multiple-choice, scantron shitter. You will not have to write anything besides your name.

IIRC, it's 3 sections. first being vocab/grammar, second being reading comprehension, and third listening comprehension. part 1 you select readings for words, or words from readings, or both, I don't remember. you will also have to pick which word fits best in a sentence, and similar. my memory is really fuzzy on that part.

part 2 is where you read short writings, 1-2 pages, then answer questions based on what you just read. If you're good at tests you'll skim the questions first and keep an eye out for relevant lines in the reading, but don't answer any questions until you've read it all, because some questions are tricky like that.

3rd part is where the test giver will stick a cd in a player, and you'll listen to the monologues/dialogues (twice?) and answer questions based on them. this is where the drama watching will pay off, because the conversations will be paced naturally, your seat may not be optimally placed for listening, and the cd player is almost guaranteed to be some bargain bin piece of shit.

In 2013 only 57% of foreign students passed the N5, only 35% passed the N1.

I found this book if anyone wants it.

I did not know that you could post PDFs. Posting two.

An Introduction to English Sentence Structure, which is by the same author, is an abridged version of the red book.

Understanding Syntax is a really, really good book about syntax. It will probably motivate you into learning more than 3 languages.

死ね

nigger…
besides that, congrats
are you using nip for a job? also how long did it take you

Why is that?

日本語でおkw

You badly mangled whatever it is you were trying to say, so you're not making a good case for yourself.

Burn in hell kebab.

What the best place place to learn just vocabulary? Someplace that gives you visualizations to associate with words?

Basically, it's a hold over from classical Japanese. Classical Japanese had a sharp distinction between predicative form and attributive form. Predicative form marks the main verb/ adjective of a statement, while attributive was used for modifiers / verbs from a relative clause that were not the main verb of the sentence.

That し is actually completely different. It's more like a conjunction. I was referring to the し in 導かれし者.

For example, the word よい had two forms, よし and よき. よし was predicative, よき was attributive. The distinction in usage would be like this:
この道具はよし vs よき道具を買う

But in modern Japanese it's just よい for both.

eh, what?

japanese is not difficult

yeah, that part was rough. IIRC you can't score below 50% in any category or you fail, regardless of total score. It really caught me off guard. I swear 75% of the words in that category I had never seen before anywhere ever, despite having a lot of confidence in my japanese skills and being able to read/watch most anything I came across. If I had to do it again, I would cram higher-level vocab or make a point to read things like newspapers for study.

thanks

I wish.

see

What's the difference between:
and

mean the same thing
じゃない is a contraction of ではない
the latter is more polite tho

No. The former is gibberish, the latter actual Japanese.

This. If you wanted to be polite in the latter, you'd say 日本語は難しくありません

Or 難しくないです which is more natural

難しくありません sounds formal.

Is that hiragana rpg on steam any good?

Here, have a schedule of (く)、形容詞、ナ形容詞 inflections.

no
just take a break from games and study
maybe everytime you die or something

リイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイイ

A lot of 3DS games have it actually.

Gyrozetter is pretty fun.

出て行け、リア充

realkana.com/

Has anyone tried ripping or finding a transcript of a game's dialog and studying all of the vocabulary in it before playing the game? Might be a fun exercise if it's not too hard to automate. sage for doublepost, should have read the thread more

Unfortunately script dumps/transcripts are not nearly as common in Nipponese as they are in English. They exist for a lot of bigger games, but they aren't always easy to find.

自殺しろ。

KAKKU CHANA GO HOOMU!

Well fuck me, that's a new one. Even 2chan has a word for normalfag.

You haven't seen people wondering where translators got "normalfag" from?

what book is that?

Bump with a full list of all inflections.

I heard that Japanese is the hardest language for a native English speaker. Is that true?

The parameters in Japanese differ greatly from English. Examples:

Headedness Parameter:
A language like English is said to be a head-initial language, as in the following:

I went to school

The prepositional phrase to school has the head (to) at the beginning of the PP, hence it is a HEAD-INITIAL language. Contrast that with Japanese.

Watashi-ga gakkou-ni itta
I-subj school-to went

Notice the PP in Japanese, the head ni (to) is after the dependent gakkou (school), hence Japanese is a HEAD-FINAL language.

This might not seem like a big problem, but consider the following relative clauses. In English, it is simple:

The guy who is reading a book

The relative clause who is reading a book is after the NP that it is modifying. However, in Japanese, there is no word to start a relative clause and the clause order would seem weird. Consider the Japanese relative clause:

hon-o yondeiru hito
Book-object reading person

And as you can see, they don't have articles such as a or the.

Another parameter is the Null Subject and Object parameter. Basically, in Japanese, you can phonetically nullify a subjects and objects if they are understood in discourse context. Even then, sometimes you will get confused. Take the example:

He ate an apple (S-V-O)
Now in Japanese:

Kare-ga ringo-o tabe-ta (S-O-V)
He-subj apple-obj EAT-past

The above sentence can have the subject nullified, the object nullified, or both at the same time. So it will be common (if it is understood in discourse context) to have the following full and grammatical sentece:

Tabe-ta
EAT-past

I hope that you can judge whether this language will be hard for you or not.

Yes it is true you can not learn Gookanese

It's a lot harder than any romance languages at least, since at least those follow a lot of the same rules as English. Plus you also have to learn a whole new writing system with Japanese.

Some of the grammar is a bit fucky, but honestly if it weren't for kanji it wouldn't be so bad

I've heard many people say that Russian is one of the hardest languages to learn, if not the hardest

It's among the hardest, Mandarin is a bit harder because words change meaning depending on the tone they're spoken with or some shit. Personally I think it makes them sound angry all the time.

You can't learn Japanese

You first cuckchan = degeneratechan so its perfect for subhumans like you.

"Normalfags" are necessary to maintain a healthy and prosperous nation. Just you wait, once we get this immigration and economy problems under control we can finally start removing you undesirables from our nation and getting rid of all the degenerate filth that infests the markets.

Try three. Hiragana and katakana are simple enough alphabets to understand. I picked this up by 4th grade.

Kanji sucks balls and is the thing that causes most people to give up.

hahah the buzunisis great at the buzunis shitpost haha :))
the shitpost reallyfixesmybuzunispc haha :)

Based on this section of this Wikipedia page I looked at some time ago, it would seem so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-language_acquisition#Stages

I've been at this for years and I'm only stage 2.

If anyone wants a new Nip game to play, Atelier Sophie is 30% on the Japanese PSN until the 30th, so it's cheaper than getting the NA version that came out recently.

I can understand that, I've been at it for three years and stage 3 is probably where I fit in. I don't speak/write in Japanese enough.

Unrelated but damn, I'm burning out on playing games in Japanese. In the last year and a half, out of the 30 something I've played, 25 or more have been in Japanese, about 20 of them being JRPGs. I'm actually thinking about playing some JRPGs in English right now. It's gotten so bad I've actually even thought about playing Fatal Frame V in English, and playing the first three in Nip was really fun (for the most part. III was less fun because of the amount of reading, and the old and poetic language) when I did so months and months ago. Fatal Frame is a Japanese series about Japanese characters set in Japan, dealing with Japanese myths, so yeah, it feels better in Japanese. I've been intending to take a break and play some games made in English, but damn it, there are some JRPGs I want to play first.

Somewhat related to that, but I definitely prefer playing Japanese games in Japanese these days, I prefer to see the original script and sometimes small changes will make me say "Nah, I'll just play in Japanese", which is really weird because not every localization change is a bad one, many are good as far as dialogue is concerned, and I acknowledge that. Straight translations in entertainment are shit, I like good localizations, I like seeing some of the great choices in localizations, and I'm a translator myself. I try to maintain accuracy, but I'm not afraid to change things to make it sound better in English. I'm an accurate translator (or at least, I try to be. We all make mistakes), but I'm far from a literal translator. Anyone else at all like this?

Sorry for the blogpost.

Isn't that one censored in English?

I think it makes more sense to play all originally Japanese games in Japanese, and all originally English or some other language that you don't know games in English. Once you learn Japanese there is little point in playing Japanese games in English, considering how much fuckery there is in the localization industry these days.

Yeah, that's another reason that I won't play it in English (though I think there's a patch to undo it by now, it was just two costumes and a bikini in a cutscene).

It's never been that good. In the old days it was full of inexperienced translators, now it's full of people pushing their political agendas or failed writers using their copious amounts of freedom to re-write anything they want so they can pretend they can actually write.

What's the problem exactly? Ran out of games to play? Your jap isn't up to par yet so it's tedious to play them? I don't follow.

These threads give me hope. These threads give me the will to learn. Just as soon as I get back from an outing with friends, I'm going to get cracking on all of this, write out a plan for myself and stick with it (hopefully). Apparently, Hiragana is easy as fuck to learn, so as soon as I get that down I'm sure I'll be a lot more motivated to power through the tough stuff.

A bit tedious. Not like when I started playing games in Japanese (I first played games in Japanese more than two years ago, but I've been constantly playing since a year and a half ago, been studying since three years ago). Actually I think it's mostly Persona 3 and 4's fault, I had to look up quite a bit when playing them, though other games aren't that bad. I've played some Trails in the Sky and it's pretty easy to read and my enjoyment isn't really affected much. But yeah, it is nice to play games sometimes where you don't have to look up anything or even think about anything. I just need a short break is all.

It's probably exacerbated by the fact that I've got so many games that I want to play that I try to play too quickly too. I went at a more leisurely pace before.

Oh, I understand you now. I've been through that myself. With games, especially long ones like JRPGs, there's this pressure to understand 100% of what's said/read, because you likely aren't going to play through it again. Anime and drama are the exact opposite, you can enjoy them plenty when you understand 50-90% of it, and it's easy to just save them and watch them a year later and feel good now that you get 95-100% of it.

Yeah, I tried to understand absolutely everything when I first started reading in Japanese, but as you know, there's a point where you just have to let things go. I did learn how to do that, but since my understanding has become considerably better, and probably because it's a habit from translating, I'm back to trying to understand as much as I can, though now and then I still have to give up when I'm just playing a game or just reading something with no intention of translating it.

I actually often replay games (or I used to. When I finish some series I'm playing I'll start doing it again).

but shitposting is almost getting fun. i bet if i only keep at it for a bit longer i'll get there.

Don't give up, buddy. Take your break, then come back and attack those games with a vicious determination! Conquer this language and rise above the lazy plebs squabbling over bad localisation!

Distance yourself from the crooked western gaming industry, rise above and immortalise yourself in grorious nippon

I'd like to learn Japanese but I don't want to put in an effort.

Not even close to giving up. I've become so used to it that I can't stop now. I'd also be out of a job if I did.

At least you're honest. I have more respect for that than the usual "It's a dead language" or "I don't have time" excuses.

I saw a bunch of responses and assume this was corrected but I guess not.
弱い is an い adjective, which you should never use だ after. Just drop the だ here and you're fine
this doesn't work either in the same way you can't use だ, you can say 日本語は難しくない for "Japanese is not difficult."
First, it would be 漢字を覚えている, second, if you want to call the action of memorizing kanji difficult, you would say that 漢字を覚えていること is 難しい, saying 「漢字をおぼえているは」 is grammatically incorrect. You can also shorten the こと to の and say 漢字を覚えているのは難しい。Finally, I'm not 100% sure about this because I'm not a native speaker, but I've only known たった to be used with measured amounts, especially time, like たった一秒 or たった今. I think using something like だけ would be better here.

Uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting Firefox, and restating the entire computer haven't done a thing. Anyone else know what the issue is? Did a firefox update break it?

Thanks for the great correction!

I knew about the fact that I can not use だ after いーadj, but is it the same with だが? I thought that だが is just a coordinator which doesnt have the properties of the copula です・だ. Guess I'll need ですが

So ではない can only be used with predicate nouns?

I believe ただ would be better since I wanted to say but.., だけ sounds like only the act of memorizing…

I am aware that I can add こと、however, I wanted to say the memorizing of kanji, hence の instead of を instead of memorizing kanji is... Guess you can't make it a genitive in this case, yes?

Can you please elaborate? An action in Japanese can't be marked with は?

Overall, thanks a ton, user.

Hello, my white friend

Incorrect. The だ there is there for a reason and isn't used in the case of adjectives or verbs ending sentences.

That's incorrect. The other guy is right. You need an を there and a こと or の after 覚える because it's a gerund phrase. Incidentally, it also has to be 覚える (dictionary form) when making gerund phrases.

It can if you use the correct format for gerund phrases. It would be 漢字を覚えることは or 漢字を覚えるのは.

I fixed it by installing the latest experimental build.

Can I say them both? As in:
覚えるのこと
Or are they mutually exclusive?

Mutually exclusive with こと being more formal and の being more casual.

different flame throwers use different fuels and mechanisms user

Jesus, it's like you guys are trying to reconstruct a dead language from a stone tablet of grammar rules you dug up. Just stop.

Thanks to the internet, you have millions of hours worth of spoken and written modern Japanese dialogue at your fingertips. Expose yourself to it, and let your brain discover the patterns on its own. It's a neural net, that's what they do. Knowing the grammar rules and using them to formulate output or process input WILL NOT WORK.

It doesn't. I took a few of the highest level Japanese courses at university for the fuck of it. The people in them were terrible. Because 1: they're too slow because they manually process everything through their sets of rules they've painstakingly memorized over their last 3-4 years of university language courses. 2: they sound unnatural because they construct their own expressions and turns of phrases according to rules and not what people actually say, resulting in mixing of words with negative and positive connotations in the same sentence or worse. 3: their vocabulary was extremely limited because they limit themselves to textbooks and dedicated vocab/kanji lists. 4: there are more ways in which they sucked at jap than I can remember now, but trust me.

Just fucking memorize thousands to tens of thousands of lines of Japanese in context, and you'll be using it like a native in no time. You think two Japanese 5-year olds have the kind of discussion you guys are having now, and that's how they improve their japanese?

No, but they had Japanese parents to teach them those kinds of things.

not singling you out but, as an example: don't ask someone, google, or search in a textbook to check if 「覚えるのこと」 is correct (it's not), but instead, check your own memory, as in, have I ever heard or read anyone using 「覚えるのこと」? no, it's always been 「覚えるのは/に/etc」 or 「覚えることは/が/etc」, IIRC… and that's your fucking answer.

yeah, they read them that timeless classic "Baby's First Gerund Phrase". oh wait, that's not how it works at all

been living in Japan for a few months now

oh man I feel bad for you guys still learning kana

I'm fucking terrible at Japanese but can still get by

B it really though. Being an immigrant is shit no matter what, just get used to it
Half the shit is in English anyways

Can answer any questions about Japan if you have them

Why are you living in Japan
What's your visa status there
How do the Nipponese actually treat immigrants

It is called META LANGUAGE, where linguists have dedicated their whole lives into coming up with technical terms of describing all the languages of the world. That is how we like to learn a language, not by fucking memorizing shit without any competence.

So wrong, man. There are these 2 concepts in modern Theoretical Linguistics which are called Performance and Competence.

Performance is the skills which a speaker have in actually using the language like speech, talking etc. Usually, all natives naturally have high performance in their own language.

Competence is the knowledge that a native speaker has about how his language works instead of this is how it is, man.

Basically, performance is saying 1+1=2, but competence is saying WHY 1+1=2.

It is just like the case with English when I at the first time was taught about the verb to be, what did it mean? Whats its parallel in Arabic? All the answers I got was fucking nothing, It is an auxiliary verb!, well no shit, then what exactly is it?

No one told me that there are these special verbs called copulas and that in Arabic, English and Japanese we actually use em.

Then you have a case of encountering shit fucking teachers. An excellent teacher is someone who knows his shit and gets it done. I have been taught syntax and morphology by a 55 year old professor veteran in Theoretical Linguistics and he knows his shit. I have given him some samples of Japanese and even though he did not even speak it once, he figured quite a lot of patterns about it.

That is because a child is predisposed to be able to learn any language via the Language Acquisition Device which is innate to them and it begins to become weaker by ages 8+. And so, because we are not natives, we try to learn language via a scientific method. At least, that is what works for me.

TL:DR - I don't want to learn a language by just memorizing, I want to know the ins and outs of it and to analyze it. One of the most fucking retarded answers I get is That is just how the language is, man, just say that you don't fucking know.

PS: I appreciate your advice, user. But learning language just by repetition and memorizing is shit to me.

I went to Japan to learn Japanese and came out of it with a fluency level that was rated good enough to attend and completely understand college level lectures. I might just know a little bit more than you.

四十九日
Haven't applied
Attempt to speak the language and you are fine

I fucking hate meeting other foreigners because they are rude as all hell

Have you ever learned a second language before?

You're never going to become fluent just memorising the language if you don't understand how it works. That's like the robot that can regonise objects by cross referencing it to a database of images. Yeah, it's a quick and dirty way to 'learn' a language, but it's not versatile if you don't understand how the words actually work. If you encounter new words you've not heard before you're going to be completely lost, even if it's related to a word you know. Words like 'number' and 'numerical' are a good example from the English language, but this extends to a lot more than simply the meanings of words.

That's so wrong it hurts.
You learn it unconsciously while using the language you faggot.
I know 2 languages, I learned them by using them and I couldn't explain how either one works.

There is basic grammar, but there are also exceptions to the rule, colloquial language and phrases that you can't translate.

Nothing beats learning by using the language.

Yes, 3, in fact.

That is where it sucks to be you because I will learn a language and explain how it actually works.

That might be true on a surface level, but all languages are very similar in lots of aspects that if you learned the META LANGUAGE you can learn any other language easily.

Nothing beats learning by using the language AND figuring out its ins and outs.

Stop shitting up the thread already you fucking autist.

You sound like an insufferable faggot and

This is basic Tae Kim stuff.

Those books you're reading utilize, endorse and describe a method by which language is studied, not one by which it is learned. There's no secret key to learning all languages, as evidenced by the fact that you're fluent in 3 languages but can't grasp basic Japanese grammar.

Help.

分身

Looks like 分身 to me. classic.jisho.org/words?jap=分身&eng=&dict=edict

Thanks.
It was under skill, but i didn't have the thing it was referring to until a bit after.

I'm going to Japan tomorrow. Haven't had time over the past few weeks to study Japanese due to uni exams.

What should I do to unfuck myself immediately/on the plane?

Your grammar book is suited to your level of aptitude, so it's much easier. Playing Pokemon would be much easier than say playing Persona because Pokemon is meant for little kids while Persona is not. So they use simpler words and script for Pokemon.

Work your way up mate.

It's meant for big kids

That poster is still wrong though because Pokemon (at least pre-gen 5) is a horrible fucking mess to read.

Can you learn japanese by playing videogames, like english?

absolutely not

Fuck off gook.

can someone suggest a good place to start learning from?

Shit,I mean what should I learn first

Start by memorizing pic related till you know it like your name.

Then I would suggest that you learn a couple of kanji and while you are at it learn Japanese part of speech so you can understand the function of words.

If you want grammar, look up Tae Kim's guides online.

Schizo-user, is that you?

Here are some memorization "games" for lack of a better term: genki.japantimes.co.jp/self_en
I recommend starting with genki.japantimes.co.jp/site/self/site/js/hiragana1.htm.

realkana.com/

I saw potential.

Does anyone know if the PS4 version of Majo to Hyakkihei added anything worthwhile? I started playing Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryoudan and apparently it's set in the same setting as Hyakkihei, so I'm thinking about picking that up but I don't own a PS4. If it's not a big difference, I'll just pick up the PS3 version since it's cheaper anyway, but I'm also not in a huge rush since my backlog is huge enough as is, so if the PS4 version made any major changes/additions I can wait for that.

To anons struggling with memorizing kanji readings, especially onyomi.

Try to connect the words a) logically, b) to a pair where you already know the other reading.

For example:

You hit into character 降 (fall) and you already know the reading of the character 雪 (snow)(セツ).

Instead of cramming only the reading コウ, try to connect them together. こうせつ = falling snow = snowing.

Let's give another, even better example.

致, jisho.org gives it the meanings of " doth, do, send, forward, cause, exert, incur, engage "
Frustrating, isn't it? Even more so that it's chinese reading is チ and it reminds a lot of 到 and 倒 with the readings トウ.

At this point you should analyze the compound words and try to find the original meaning of the character. In this case you would find it sort of means "cause", and that's what you should try to understand it as.

Now, you know the reading of character 死 (death), which is (シ).

There is a word 致死 which means lethal. Cause + death = lethal. Now you remember ちし means lethal and the character feels much more comfortable as well.

I don't really think you have to think about it that much. The correct readings just became natural for me after a while, after learning a lot of vocabulary and recognizing pronunciation patterns.

Rather than learning readings, I think the best solution is just to learn more vocabulary.

Well, I don't think you need to think much with this method, quite the contrary, you are making things so logical you learn more comfortably than just trying to absorb all the useful vocabulary at once.

Has anyone here tried using the Japanese lessons provided on LingQ? I think the format of the website is great, but the difficulty is all over the place.

Some of the beginner 1 material is laughably easy "何時レストランに閉まりますか?"

Others, in the same beginner continuum get this hard

Anyone got a good N3 Anki vocab deck that doesn't include shit that's also in N5 and N4?

I finished my N4 deck 2 weeks ago but I haven't been able to find a good N3 deck. I was using the NihongoShark decks for N5 and N4 but it looks like he never made any for shit past that. I found that the smaller decks were less intimidating to go through while still helping me learn shit.

I'm dumb, the screenshot I posted isn't that difficult. This is the part of the same reading where I feel that it becomes disproportionately difficult. At the beginner 1 level I don't think there should be this much kanji.

My best advise is to make your own, complete with example sentences, images and recorded target language sentences. It's a shitload of work, but it's the most effective flash card method I've found.

It might be harder with Japanese though. I've only used it for Indonesian, so it's the one keyboard and I could do it quickly.

indeed, knowing that 倒 can be read tao, dao, tou, or even sakashima isn't very helpful in itself, or knowing which are 音読み and which are 訓読み, learn words instead, and in context.

mfw someone recommends learning kanji before anything else ala heisig's shit book or something

Learning the readings is pointless, but learning the meanings is quite useful. Heisig helps you recognize the difference between similar looking kanji.

What's the standard onamonapia for a gunshot sound in Nipponese?

pan

The big letters in the background are the onomatopoeia.
google.com/search?q=銃 マンガ&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinmrnoh8zNAhWH6x4KHSXmAnkQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=943

Thank you

I don't understand how english works and it's my native tongue.
I didn't even know what a preposition was until the other day.

This. I got asked by a student the other day what the difference was between "simple past" and "past participle" and had to bullshit a "let me think about that and get back to you" because WHAT THE FUCK IS A PAST PARTICIPLE

Now, that said, understanding the mechanics doesn't hurt.

But you do understand how it works, and to understand a language means you can tell whether a sentance is grammatically correct or not.

I thought I knew grammar, but I still had to look up what a past participle is. We have an innate, not an explicit, understanding of grammar. Know if sentence wrong we can do. But people most no able to tell to me why wrong.

But you're not wrong, you're just speaking Yoda English.

thanks, captain caveman

It's easy to be sarcastic, but do either of you have the technical understanding to tell me what was wrong with those sentences? It's not necessary.

The only grammar rules that are really necessary in a language are the cute and childish ones like "sentence trains" or the basics of "noun/verb/adjective". The same that a native would learn

Sounds like an incredible uneducated opinion, languages can even be expressed as art forms, ever heard of poetry?

And you do type sentences like a caveman who barely has a grasp of the language, they end up looking like something someone just copypasted through a machine translation to give you an idea of what exactly is wrong.

I'm not arguing with you.

Although this I will say I never learned as a native speaker of English.

not to mention you really don't want to be "that guy." You know, the dickhead who learned another language, then goes around to native speakers and marvels about how he knows (insert grammar trivia here), while they don't.

hi!
sushi and saki
domo
!

Uwaaaaah! Nani sore?!

Why are we learning Japanese again?

To play video games.

Fuck gooks and their dog eating lauguage

Don't worry, Koreans don't make anything worth playing, the only languages you need for vidya are Japanese and maybe English.

But learning Japanese drains all my free time I used for video games.

Learn by playing video games.

Never forget why you learn Japanese, user, never forget.

Embrace the anger, let it flow through you, and turn it into a fuel to learn Nipponese.

It depends on his looks and income. Nipponese women are pretty vain and territorial. A good looking and well groomed guy (not simply tall by Nipponese standards) has no problems with the lack of female attention there. Of course women there are expected to drop out of workforce when married, so it's better to be loaded as well if he intends not only to date, but also marry one.

pan is a slapping sound

In old Japanese, there was a distinctive verb form used in relative clauses called 連体形 rentaikei or 'attributive form'. Technically verbs are still regarded as being in rentaikei when in relative phrases even in modern Japanese, just that rentaikei merged with shuushikei 終止形 or predicative form that was used for the main verb of the sentence outside of any relative clause.

There's one exception in which this distinction is retained in modern Japanese in the case of na adjective, na is basically the rentaikei of 'da'.

So you would say
"onna no ko wa kirei da"

but "kirei na onna no ko wo mitsuketa "

Using na adjective substitution is actually the way that Japanese are taught to determine whether a verb is supposed to be rentaikei or not. In old Japanese, the copula was naru in rentaikei and nari in shuushikei.
So you would say something like
"ware wa saikyou nari"
but "saikyou naru chikara"
"I'm the strongest" vs "the power that is strongest". The same sort of thing applied to all verbs in general when forming relative clauses. Shinu was shuushikei but shinuru was rentaikei. Tabu was shuushikei, but taburu was rentaikei (both taberu in modern Japanese). What I'm finally getting at is that the "ru" in Japanese verbs originally actually was the word used to create relative clauses and the Japanese equivalent of "that, who, which, etc." in relative phrases.

twitter.com/mombot/status/747752820292542464

Hi Mombot!

Also reminder that NoA was never good.

Can you tell me the difference between words that use both の and な particles? Like 別。
別の人だった。
別な人だった。
I am aware that の marks genitive case, but is there any difference in semantics between the two particles? Is it the same with English in, say, Morphological Studies vs Morphology Studies?

Isn't ru the tense marker? I mean, shouldn't し be considered the relative particle? As in 食べるし人を見た?

Thanks a ton for the explanation of 連体形 and 終止形、user. Now I can play Fatal Frame 2 with more knowledge.

Two questions

One:

Two: did I translate this right?

I just learn kanji as I learn new words personally. Radicals are helpful but not 100% reliable. They were more useful before the Internet when you needed to know stroke order to look up words, but with copy-paste it's not as helpful nowadays.

If you're trying to say "I want to kill myself" it's a correct literal translation but it sounds unnatural as fuck. More natural would just be something like 死にたい, "I want to die"

Thank you. I prefer to use literal translations, personally, whenever they're understandable.

Understandably, just giving you context.

I'm trying to read my first novel today, but I'm not sure which one.
Any recommended VN for beginners?

I heard はなひらっ! is supposed to be easy, if no one replies I'll try to read that.

Gyakuten Saiban

this

JLPT on the 3rd; hope everyone's ready.

I'll try not to shit my pants in anxiety or accidentally go in a room for the wrong level and be too embarrassed to say anything.

Guess I'm stuck at Level 2 forever.

Also on a day when the trains don't run all hours so I'm having to go a night early and stay at a motel. It's turned out a lot more expensive than I originally thought.

Hadn't seen the last one before and I can't seem to find any info on it. That really in ACNL?

Not really sure since I just took it and now spreading the rage.

いつか、届く、あの空に。
きっと、澄みわたる朝色よりも、
信天翁航海録
装甲悪鬼村正
霞外籠逗留記
俺たちに翼はない
神咒神威神楽
相州戦神館學園 八命陣
天ツ風 ~傀儡陣風帖~

How do I break through the Kanji barrier? Learning new vocabulary without context isn't too interesting or efficient, but authentic material often has so much kanji I'd be forced to spend more time with a dictionary than the material.

I'm in Japan right now and got excited to find dual language books for English learning, but the kanji wall is huge.

On a non-language question. 太鼓の達人, is the 3DS or Wii U version as fun as the arcade one?

Do any of you have the Google doc that's bunch of recommendations with mostly visual novels, some manga, and a few games? It had the cover for each one, whether it was beginner friendly, and what sort of vocabulary was in it. Last I saw it the only games on there were the Kiseki series, Zwei II, and some indie looking game i can't remember the title of.

docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Reading list. Also see Cornucopia of Resources for less detailed manga entries (only furigana/4-koma indicators) as well as other resources.

I already tried looking there. The one I'm thinking of is formatted differently and has less stuff.

Hey Holla Forums I tried reading stuff but I had huge problems, I never knew where the words end and where they start.
What caused the problems were kana only words in between sentences, stuff like から、だから、けど、だけど、ので、なので、んで、しかも stuff like that.
I couldn't tell where the conjugated word ended and where one of these kana words started.

What do? I already read a grammar book, but it didn't help me much obviously, so I guess I have to read Tae Kim or something?

It's weird but I really started to like Kanji, since they show me where words start and end.

Does anyone here happen to have the trial version of ATLAS V14 on their computer? If so then could you please upload it somewhere? I'm trying to do that thing with the text hooker and the translation aggregation to dick around with some VNs, but the main site took the download down and I can't find a mirror anywhere.

Why don't you use this? pastebin.com/DgZ84qwk

Or does atlas have features you can't get with that?

Right lads I've started on this funny language. just started the kana and learning little bits of vocab here and there, should hopefully have it finished in a week's time.
I have a question about Kanji, and that is - what is the end game? How much of it should you know? not all 3k of it i hope

I want to one day be at a level where I can import vidya from nipon with no fucks given. but there being thousands of K makes me think it'll be a few years before that happens. though i suppose i can appreciate how lots of kanji appear in different words and allude to the meaning.

also, honest question, how do you look up kanji? i doubt there's anything like alphabetical order in japanese

anyway. good luck to all you fags learning this language and don't give up like a bitch

I have to admit that it is possible to play a bunch of games that never get a western release even if you cannot into moon. I do it all the time but forget about learning shit like lore.

>so thirsty for more Rance decide to look to Chinese translations
Well at least it seems like Rance has a following there. But I will say that Baidu is a piece of shit and I will hate the Chinese internet until the day that I die.

ten more characters for me

is someone saving all these? we should have a giant compilation of shitty localisation

*Japanese

Or Nihongo in jap. "Nipponese" is retarded.

Actually, I agree with this. I couldn't find the thread in the catalog because i searched for "japanese learning" as opposed to nipponese

good thing someone bumped the thread up.

say, wasn't there a board on 8ch for people learning jap? I'm pretty sure there was though I assume it's dead nowadays

I have a few here and there

there's

and pics related. Also the removal of the option to be a girl in Baten Kaitos Origins, but I have no idea how to illustrate that with anything short of a video (it just skips the select male/female and goes directly to the name entry in English and a pic of the menu doesn't really say anything.)

Nipponese is unique and thus easier to find. Japanese will return a bunch of threads with people talking about Japanese stuff.

what's wrong with the first two? these images are great by the way, I've already ammassed a chunky folder off this thread alone

The animations don't match up with the new dialog in the first one.

The second one keeps "Dolls" in "Twin Dolls of Mystery" even though they changed the mechs names to "Skell" for no fucking reason.

Mate, those are not the problems, those are the coordinators. You should learn how they interact. Expect two sentences when you see one of them.

In any case, take it as a basic rule that Japanese always ends with either one of the following:

Verb ending:
俺は魚を食べた
俺は寝る

I-Adj+desu (not spelling out the copula makes it casual speech)
彼女が美しいです。
彼女が美しい。

Noun/Na-adj
奴はソゲキングだ!
その花はきれいです。

Not all verbs come at the end of sentences, these verbs are called attributive verbs. They are like relative clauses. Example:
食べている人を俺が見た。
Literally:
Eating man I saw
However, you should wire it into your brain that it means I saw the man who was eating.

The し you're talking about is a completely different beast. It's just a sort of conjunction used to add additional information. The other she people were talking about is like the usage in the subtitle of Dragon Quest IV
~導かれし者たち~
In that case, し is the past tense 連体形 from classical Japanese.

Yes, in certain verbs in modern Japanese.
In classical Japanese, not so.
In modern Japanese the 連体形 and 終止形 are exactly identical except for the case I mentioned, of な・だ.
For example, the verb 受ける in modern Japanese had two variants in classical, 受く and 受くる for 連体形 and 終止形.

Incorrect because of だ. Remember, the final い is already a conjugated ending. Don't add extra だ unless you wanna sound like a stereotypical retard (that's literally what retards do in retard accents. kek) Otherwise, it's valid. Just put it in quotes and jewgle it. 11 pages of hits in sentences written by native speakers.

Play JRPGs and make vocab lists as you go along, assuming you have a good knowledge of grammar. Otherwise focus on grammar. Grammar is relatively easy to learn. Vocab acquisition is what will take you the longest, unless you're some kind of autist with a perfect memory.

Is it the same as pic related? As in, 食べるし人を見た means I saw him because he eats?

Do you know about the old Yon-dan system of conjugation? Is this し one of it?

this is not even japanese

let me refer you to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom's_taxonomy
you guys look like you're having a lot of fun trying your hand at steps 4 and 5, while making it obvious you skipped the first 3.

see
ignoring all the butt blasted linguists below it

Most anime and japanese videogames are normalfag bullshit. Real games like doom and cataclysm don't need you to learn japanese. You don't even need to know japanese to navigate in touhou and most anime is subbed in english. Drop this retarded idea while it's not too late.

do people take my opinions that I post here and seriously adapt to them or are we all just one person in multiple realities?

there's an easy test for this
how do you feel about jap 3dpd?

I won't listen to your shit when you don't even know what a fucking coordinator is. Just keep parroting the language while being brain dead about it.

I'm using anki and I have a question for those more advanced.
How many words should I roughly have learned each month?

Only if she is younger than 12, obviously. Where do you think we are?

at least you came to the right board

Just got back from taking the JLPT N5.

How can I improve my listening, just by immersion? Should I just watch tons of Japanese TV even though I won't understand 99% of it and just try my best to pick out what I do know? Any help here would be massively appreciated.

Also, how did everyone else do?

n-no

Where do I find a disgusting, filthy Otaku to chat with?

Pretty much, you're not going to get good at listening if you don't, well, listen to it. Vidya is great too, especially ones with logs that let you replay voice clips or scene players that let you replay scenes - Bravely Default/Second have the latter, and Omega Labyrinth has both.

4chan's Holla Forums

I mean nips though.

I just had to say it,

Maybe try 2ch or some smaller Japanese forums?

On top of listening, which is the obvious answer, practice speaking. Speaking will help your listening slightly as you're now making the sounds that you're looking out for.

As for difficulty level; either listen to something that is too hard for you that you have the script for, or listen to something easier without a script.

I can't speak from the Japanese pov, since I can't speak that well yet. This method has helped me with other language though.

Dunno about otaku but…

I need to keep weening myself off the translate, but if you want actual japanese people to talk to, try twitter, pick a series with an active art community and send some compliments to some japanese artists, I talk to several of my favorite artists now, and it feels really good when i can piece together a response without using a translator

I'm not gonna learn how that garbage works just to talk to filthy リア充

No one?

quit asking stupid questions and learn as many words as you reasonably can.

I'm feeling a feel right now and I'm not quite sure how to put it into words. I'm learning a foreign language in order to beat censors. It's a strange mixture of apprehension and disgust.

Fuck mate, whatever drives you to do it. Learning a foreign language, even an obscure one, is always a good endeavor.

Half the reason I'm learning Japanese is so I can shittalk people in public with my girlfriend. Noble? Fuck no. Will it benefit me outside of my specific and niche reason? Fuck yes.

It's disgusting that you need to in the first place, but it's so inexorably worth it for vidya fans to learn Japanese that I'm almost grateful foreignizations are so bad.

Would watching a JPTV show with Japanese subtitles be any good?

Probably not, I say probably though because I've not tried it like that. When I've done it for other languages I've had the script separate (so I could write on it) and control of the video/audio. In other words, could pause, play and rewind. A subtitled show, even with subtitles in target language isn't the best for this, unless it's hard subbed. That's just because subtitles load at certain points, and by rewinding you may not get the subs you want.

As for the Japanese context. I was at an onsen the other day and they had a comedy reality show on in the sauna. The subtitles were mostly hiragana. Can't say I learned much though, mostly due to the 90C heat.

i am doggedly sick of shitty localisation, and the industry and games media's snarky response.
i'm taking a stand for myself. this is gonna be touch but I know there will be perks in addition to my goal and I'm confident I'll come out a happy man.

we're in it together. don't forget why, and know that you CAN do it

I obviously learn as many as I can, user.
I'm just curious to hear whether I'm below or above the average.
You're very rude.

Not rude user, but my answer would be put every "useful" new word or phrase into Anki and set Anki to dispense no more than 25 new words a day and no more than 50 revisions.

That other bloke is right though, as many as possible.

It's obvious to study as many as you can but I just wanted to see how I compare to others.

Well then. You just got my answer. Although I don't put in new words every day. So, no more than 25 new words a day, sometimes only a handful. 50 revision words and some light reading on days where I don't sit down for a proper study session.

Alright user, that's all I wanted to know.
Thank you.

It's not an important metric at all though, unless you're doing way too many or way too few. (Anything in excess of 40 a day is way too many).

Can someone please make sense of this whacky rune for me?

Are you taking the piss mate?

That's a そ in the middle, if that's what you're having trouble with.

You mean そ?

Thanks, I thought so but I'm not used to the alternative kana formats.

Oh, I know that full well I spent all day playing Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain, as well as SRW BX.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

So it's stillborn?

Hold on to your tits we getting le ebin maymays.

I'm just sad I didn't start sooner.