Quake Is 20

Quake just turned 20 years old!
Here's a message from John Romero.
rome.ro/news/2016/6/22/happy-20th-birthday-quake

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/files/Windows/quakespasm-0.91.0_win64.zip/download
sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/files/Linux/quakespasm-0.91.0_amd64.tgz/download
ioquake3.org/get-it/)
playmorepromode.org/)
quakespasm.ericwa.com/job/quakespasm-sdl2/
markfoxx.co.uk/2014/11/08/running-quake-3-server-raspberry-pi/
quakeworld.nu/
quaddicted.com/
quakeone.com/
quakeservers.net/quakeworld/
quakeservers.net/quake/
spearmint.pw/
mariowiki.com/Reznor
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

What's the easiest way to play quake 1 on modern PCs?

nQuake

Q1 for SP
Q3 for MP

Who agrees?

q1/q2 for SP
q1 for MP
q3 is shit

Use Quakespasm.
>Win 64 sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/files/Windows/quakespasm-0.91.0_win64.zip/download
sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/files/Linux/quakespasm-0.91.0_amd64.tgz/download

Then get Quake 1 and the 2 expansions.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:446C5839A8888CE6CAF95D1A5AACE22F3AC31B2E&dn=quake+the+offering+gog&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

And you're good to go, faggot.

When you launch it, you will notice that it has texture smoothing bullshit that wasn't there in the original software rendered quake. You will need to make some tweaks to make it look classic, but it's not too annoying:
Find an entry in the configuration that starts with GL_NEAREST and change it to GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST

What about Q4?

At least Q3 has a Doomguy skin

The intro is the only redeeming part, but you can watch that on youtube.

Otherwise pointless.

It killed the franchise, not worth talking about not worth playing.

Quake II multiplayer in "The Edge" is extremely cool though - had so many funny matches.
Quake III is a piece of art in itself but from a purely fun and energetic point of view I have to agree with you. Absolutely hated when I wanted to play Quake on LAN and everybody swapped to Arena… end of a golden age.

The official clients still work fine:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/

Agree re q1 and q3, but q2 was also fun in MP with mods. Played a lot of Lithium and others whose names I've sadly forgotten.

The same way Doom 3 sort of killed the series?

Quake 3 killed the franchise

Guess who else is going to be 20 years old tomorrow

Are you guys hyped for Quake Champions?

We won't be able to have a decent quake discussion for at least a year now thanks to this shit

On the plus side I doubt anyone would pay attention to it. People don't seem to love Quake as much as Doom, so Quake threads will probably caring on.

Dude totally! I wonder what great DLC's they'll make for it!

We have good OG DooM threads all the time even though ToorD came out not too long ago.

I get "can't find gfx.wad" when I try to launch quakespasm

Quake 1 is still great. I loved the lovecraftian aspect to it more than the strogg stuff in quake 2 and 4. John Carmack said in an interview before that he'd like quake 5 to go back to lovecraftian stuff like 1 but obviously that's never going to happen anymore.

Any of you guys wanna play Q3A together?

if you don't got it download ioquake (ioquake3.org/get-it/) and CPMA (playmorepromode.org/)

if you need the pak files link me to a vola and I'll upload them there.

I was planning on making a server this week but I really slacked off. I only have a raspberry pi to make it but it is doable.

NO.

I've got cpma installed but I've never played it. I love Quake III although I'm not particularly good at it. Please make a thread when/if you get the server up.

I'm sure he'd be pleased to meet a fan if you don't sperg the fuck out.

I just have it installed to replace the master server and maps. I just load up quake 3 itself. I'm actually not entirely sure what is the little differences between Q3A and CPMA like damage and stuff.

I was under the impression that the physics were somewhat altered as well

Why do you guys say Quake 3 is shit and what advantages does it have over UT99.

I like Q3 because of how it feels

I know that sounds lame as fuck but it feels smooth and nice. I also like the maps and weapons for Q3.

That being said I also really do like UT99.

I have a tendency to play Q3A in free for all/1v1 deathmatches and UT in team based games like CtF and RvB.

also, reminder to anyone that doesn't know UT4 is free and in alpha right now.

Q3 is pretty barebones in itself, pretty much

but I play what is essentially vanilla quake 3.

The only modding I do is changing the master server cause it used gamespy and that's literally dead.

oh god please no.

It tried to create the window while failing over & over until crashing & giving an openGL error.

Better off getting an autobuild:
quakespasm.ericwa.com/job/quakespasm-sdl2/
And you have to put it in the directory with Quake downloaded from that magnet link:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:446C5839A8888CE6CAF95D1A5AACE22F3AC31B2E&dn=quake+the+offering+gog&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

If you have dual GPU & dual monitor you will get an OpenGL error like I did & it won't work, even if you disable all monitors but one.

Well you can surely understand why people would be dissapointed in the direction that Quake went? Quake III is one of my favorite games of all time, but it's not necessarily the continuation to the series that it deserves. For instance, a robust single player game in the style of the first game on idtech 3 would be awesome as opposed to the sparse bot matches that instead pass for a campaign.

Arena is great for what it is but since it's multiplayer only it disappointed the people hoping for another SP campaign like in Quake 1 and 2.

I wonder why they decided to go with a mainly multiplayer game this time around. Did they just focus everything on multiplayer and and ran out of time?

Yeah I got the window problem too, though in my case I don't have two monitors per se but I have a monitor hooked to my laptop.

Quake 3 killed it because the game was too good to make a follow up to.

These niggers would shit on Jedi Academy/Jedi Outcast if EA made a new Jedi Knight game.

Quake live was even a modification from Quake 3. You can not improve upon perfection.

I like Quake 4.

I think of it as a slightly retarded cousin to the other/real Quake games, who is still fun to hang with occasionally. In fact I'm starting to feel like playing through it again.

i hope they make another jedi knight game

hmm maybe not actually, i guess theyd mangle it to fit the new jew jew abrahams edition of star wars, no kyle katarns allowed

it's not bad. It's just mostly forgettable and it's also not Quake 3.

ps. fuck these niggers

UT 99 has slow weapon switch compared to quake 3 and especially compared to cmpa, the movement is slower and to a lot of people double tapping just feels akward, I don't like UT's weapon balance, the shock combo murders fucking everything and covers such a large area to the point where you can almost say that half of getting good at UT is learning to spam shock combos into every corner, you can kill a fully armored opponent with just 1 hit if you get a headshot from a sniper rifle or charge up 6 rockets and while rocket spam is everywhere in quake 3 deathmatch its arguably worse in ut since people can just charge up 6 rockets and get lucky kills on fully armored players who are busy fighting everyone else, the minigun is pretty annoying in deathmatch servers as well.

basically quake 3 keeps things simpler and because the game was less ambitious and more simplistic I think it did better in most of the regards that it has in common with UT. I prefer its deathmatch, its ctf, its freezetag, and its duels to those of UT. UT has more game modes though and assult and some of the other game modes that q3 unfortunately does not have are really fun.

Nothing wrong with Quake 4. Even the pros liked it back in the day. But it's so ugly it killed the game.

i only just beat quake last week and i could not agree more. those final three levels are full of them, man…

happy 20th birthday you bastard

Reminder that Jan Ors died for this.

At least some things did improve over the last 20 years.

He was in Super Mario World.

The only part I remember is when they chop you up and turn you into a grunt for their army.

Quake 64 in Project 64 of course.

That certainly is the most memorable part.

I mostly like the game because of the Strogg. I think the levels do a good job of portraying them both as being high-tech and engineering geniuses, but also very crude and brutal. They make for really good enemies with lots of variety.

Fucking glorious those polygons, all three of them.

And the head texture, all 16 pixels.

Original Quake was/is ridiculously good, and the low poly, low res with spergy animations just takes it over the top. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also for some reason the fact that Peter Stormare is voice acting in it makes it better. I don't think he does an exceptionally good performance or anything. It's just something.

I have quake 3 all set up on this pi. I'm just not sure how to properly make it online and be a proper server

I feel like I'm missing something despte following these directions directly

markfoxx.co.uk/2014/11/08/running-quake-3-server-raspberry-pi/

>>>/reddit/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/ovens/

Jesus, it's never going to happen. Reminds me of how Marathon was originally demoed with a Cybermaxx HMD at Macworld '94.

i sure hope so

Too bad they didn't do a continuation of Quake 4, I for one liked it a lot. Environment was brutal.

I found it interesting how higher detailed faces were on gibbed heads than the head on the base models
Probably more texture room on a singular head than on a whole body mesh

I downloaded it and got it running but there is no music. Where can I get the music for the game?

Underrated post

hahaha the game just ran the music from the disc.

if you have the steam version there's a patch. otherwise just download a sourceport or some shit. just check the PCGW

I actually really liked Strauss in Q4, he was one of the things I found pretty memorable about the game.

Use one of the following source ports, depending on what you feel:

Quakespasm
Darkplaces
ezQuake/nQuake (they're the same thing, nQuake is just an installer that comes with shareware Quake and installs ezQuake seperately from the base game to prevent compatibility problems)

Refer to pic-related for any other questions.

There's quite a few ezQuake/nQuake/Quakeworld servers open right now, was having a pretty good time with them earlier.

Also the Wolfenstein TNO devs released a free levelpack for the game. It's not bad so far, kind of reminiscent of Episode 3 from the base game or Scourge of Armagon but more linear.

Doom was always better for single player

woman in tight pants shimmying down the world's thinnest rope

Tenebrae came out LONG before doom 3 you stupid ass faggot.
Also the infographic is outdated as fuck.

nQuake is frontend launcher that you can use for other ports than ezQuake just fine. it never was about any kind of compatibility, this is just all-in-one package, so people wont have to download quack gaem files on their own

FTEQW [newest development builds] are currently best shot for both multiplayer and singleplayer experience.
ezQuake is docummented better but the development stalled since few years, there's plenty of client-breaking bugs and no one to fix them, it used to be go-to port for mp 10 years ago but it just doesnt hold today anymore.

Darkplaces work correctly only if you have nvidia card [and not too new one] it runs like shit with 10fps drops on both ati/amd and intel gpus, even on lowest possible settings that look worse than standard settings of 90's glquake.exe not to mention that both fteqw and dp have same graphic capabilities/options, yet the former run smooth on all kind of hardware while the later stutters, fucking programists how do they work

Some essential links
quakeworld.nu/
quaddicted.com/
quakeone.com/
quakeservers.net/quakeworld/
quakeservers.net/quake/
you can connect to both quake1 [netquake] and quakeworld servers using fteqw or darplaces, otherwise you will need sourceport that supports their corresponding quake netcode protocol

huh

Ioquake3 confirmed for SJW cucks stuck in 2014. Avoid that cancer.

Politics.
I bet you're posting "benis" frequently in #GG threads.

then just use spearmint.

spearmint.pw/

IOquake fucking sucks but GG is just as cancerous :^)

Quake 1 is amazing
Quake 2 is OK
Quake 3 is legendary

I only have a laptop with no mouse so I used a gamepad to play Quake and it wasn't so bad. Single player, of course.

really?

Rehashes and Retcons, user

I seriously hope you don't support this in any way.

That's my opinion as well.

technically.

mariowiki.com/Reznor

Did you all know that Quake is Mike Dawson's favorite game?

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread

Quake 3 was shit though, ruined the series.
Ruined Unreal as well. 2 games with story and multiplayer garbage.

I'd rather kill myself than ever touch that filth.

Has anyone some good Quake map recomendations?
I've finnished "Episode 5" and it's medicore at best.

I only know of the Map Jams to have rather high quality work in them.

unreal 2 killed unreal sp, way after quake 3. q3's a great mp game, best in its class.

Your timeline and perspective seems fucked up, sounds like you need a bit of a smack.

Arcane Dimensions

why?

Vanilla Q3 is pretty good, mods are next level. It sucks that they didn't make a single player campaign for it, but that doesn't immediately make it garbage

Seconding Arcane Dimensions

I've noticed, but they're not really a gaming journo site anyways. Also they blocked me within 37 seconds of me tweeting this.

Got the game up and running but the music's missing.

Wait a Minute…