Would you play a VR emulator user?

Would you play a VR emulator user?

What

I dont understand the question

what level of irony we are on right now?

He's asking you if you'd like to put on VR googles, and enter a virtual room full of virtual machines, consoles and handhelds and you play roms loaded onto those virtual machines while seeing your body playing the game.

You're playing the game of playing a game on virtual hardware that doesn't exist.
Like you see yourself putting a cartridge into a console but it's actually just a ROM and nothing exists, you're emulating the experience of playing a game IRL.

but why

So like that stupid bullshit sega did with their Genesis games launcher

This is about as stupid as the xbone "use a vr to play games on a virtual tv"

Yes, this exactly what I've wanted to do in VR for years. That, and play third-person games because all I'm interested in ultimately is the freedom of camera movement + 3D.

This. Why dont we have more vr 3rd person games? 3pp is just as "immersive" as 1pp, and controlling the camera would be a much better experience. Most of the benefit from a 3rd person game is being able to see around corners, having a wider FOV without stretching everything, and not having to turn around to see whats behind you

Yes.

Why do that when you could just play on the real thing?

There's plenty of autist who use filters & shit, but if you're going into fucking VR to play a simulated model of a handheld you may as well play the real handheld.

There's a number of reasons.
One could want to play something like this but he doesn't have space in his house for it.
Also a virtual machine will always stay pristine, never get dirty, never get damaged, and you'd be able to fully customize the room you play all these games in.

For example you could live in a shitty ass moldy depressing apartment in japan, put on your VR glasses, and find yourself in a beautiful zen garden with machines with full libraries in mint condition waiting for you.
Escapism, essentially.

A VR HMDs speed makes it a good choice to emulate the display characteristics of a CRT. So, yes, I'd like to play emulators in VR. Because normal displays are shit for that specific use.
Caveat: 120Hz required for 60Hz CRT emulation without judder.

This picture and hose glasses perfectly describe how VR at least with the Vive feels. The feeling of presence is astounding.

Explain.

It's the ARI section of Heavy Rain.
Probably the only good thing in that game, at least aestetically and conceptually.

I played the game. Liked it more than Fahrenheit but the plot twist was just retarded.
Beyond was meh.

Such a thing is only useful for pinball.

Only if you are in the perspective of the pinball

Frame 1: Display top half of emulated CRT, leave lower half black
Frame 2: Display lower half of emulated CRT, leave upper half black
Well, not exactly black, leave some emulated phosphor afterglow of last displayed field. You could do this on a conventional 120Hz display but would get additional motion blur due to reaction speed of the display and the inherent motion blur of all sample and hold type displays. It's more OLED vs LCD than VR vs non-VR, but as VR HMDs are the most affordable OLED displays that point is relatively irrelevant.

Wait, is that how small the GBA was? I never realised. That or I don't have big meaty claws.

the GBA isn't that small, I think it was the size of a closed up DS

Interesting. I guess that's one way to do it. Are there any current emulators/plugins/shaders that do this currently, or is it all just hypothetical ideas here?

Haven't bothered with CRT emulations as it can't be good without a fast display and because I still have some decent CRTs. So it's just throwing an idea out there but it's a quite obvious idea so there's probably someone already working on it. First HMD with sufficient refresh rate isn't out yet so we have some waiting to endure anyway.

The idea is kind of dumb
You don't play vidya to get focused on a brick displaying colors, you play vidya to get focused on those colors so much that the other shit falls away
The only vidya that isn't the same experience if not better emulated is shit that can't yet be emulated, or specific handheld shit like many DS games

Now a VR program that turns ebooks into 3D representations of real books, that would be worth something

Several pinball games do this, putting you in a virtual bar or something where all the pinball machines are laying around and you play the cabinets in first-person while you can hear the sounds of the environment and other cabinets playing in the background.

It's really fun.

Yes, for the Virtual Boy.

If other systems had VR emulators I might use them, but I think looking at fake hands playing your video game is fucking retarded. Just give me the screen by itself, please

Not a chance unless it has multiplayer and the VR Room / Arcade has people who hangs out there and you can go and play against them and what not, doing it like in your pictures is just extremely autistic, and pure nostalgia pandering to casuals who never touched one of those

CRT emulation still sucks major ass, because the scrolling in modern monitors is updated differently so you get choppy scrolling which ruins every CRT shader out there, they only look good on stills but on movement these shaders suck

Because it's overpriced as fuck with no sign of getting cheaper

If there is any possible sequence of visual images that could give someone eye cancer, that would be it
In fact I'd be surprised if more than a few minutes of exposure to such a thing wouldn't be likely to have you go permanently blind, doomed to a lifetime of waking eldritch nightmares caused by being unable to look away from the visual boy games burned directly into your visual cortex

Once VR gets that good though, wouldn't it have so much more to offer? You could interact with other people in any kind of environment, doing any kind of activity that developers can make.

You'd want to take that and use it to play old video games?

what street fighter in the second picture is that?

That would require tactile force feedback gloves

So no

The actions themselves don't require that, just the feeling of doing it physically would

That's sorta my point: why the fuck simulate holding a console while emulating it if you aren't also doing to have the feeling of holding it?

It's worth it for Wario Land

probably Super Puzzle Fighter

No, but I've always wanted to put on a headset, walk into a virtual comic/game shop and play yugioh or tabletop shit with other people. I think it'd be really comfy to just lounge around and shit, and play card games.

Something like this already exists for some emulators at least.
If it wasn't for the chromatic aberration, this place would be pretty comfy

Its like they want it to be dead on arrival.

you can play it without the vr headset but its still pretty jewy of them to do this

Well that certainly does away with the "but muh collection" meme then.

how does this happen.jpg

So we finally hit BTTF2 levels of sad nostalgia. Let's have virtual arcades where we remember what it was like to play vidya all together.

Only if there's bully features.

The arcade in my town kept being busted by the cops for pushers.

A VR demo for this concept has existed on Steam since the first dev kits for the Oculus came out. It's a source engine demo.

Would it or would it not be steroscopic?
If it isn't than you're just looking at what, a small rectangle up close?

Now that I think about it, how come I haven't seen a single "2D" VR game?
I'd like to think it would be pretty easy to cobble together a flash game that takes advantage of VR.
Like a version of River City Ransom where you can actually see depth?
Everything is basically like a little theater you're playing around in.
I have to assume someone will make at least 1 eventually.

That would be SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium for the NGPC. Surprisingly similar to console fighters for a handheld game, as well as some fun mini games. Highly recommended.

You might be delving too deeply into the virtual realm user, that kind of stuff is dangerous

Sounds like a slippery slope in the off chance technology gets better or cheaper. Still, I just don't get the point.

All the NGPC fightans are good. I played through Gals Fighter with every character. Really charming.

Card Fighter Clash 3 never ever.

We could call it VRCADE. It would be really goddamn nice to be able to have VR towns to bop around in and engage in multiplayer games in various locations.

If it's 16K so I can emulate a curved CRT accurately, then maybe.

Wouldn't use it for handhelds. Since overlays and shaders do the trick.

Would be nice if you modeled each and every Cartridge and arcade Machine accurately so you can use them in your frontends and in a VR emulator. Imagine that! Might be pretty cool.

(((Oculus))) is very jewish but it is possible to run it on other headsets using that ReVive hack.