Holy shit

He sure went a long way to say fuck you to the entire video game community/anybody dumb enough to support his kickstarterā€¦.
twitter.com/Somecallmejon/status/745151893282787330
twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/745299626715054080

It always amazes me how many people are willing to throw away all their money for nothing.

even better when they don't learn they lesson and do it again, and again, and again

their*

I just want a good megaman gameā€¦

It will get better.
They can do so because they can afford to do so.
Make shit affordable and they will start to value their money and demand more.

Look at Obamacare, no one thought it was bad until recently.
You know what else happened recently? All those students who mindlessly supported it ended up turning 26 and had to go buy their own Obamacare plan while paying back student loans.

THEY WILL REAP WHAT THEY SOW

Am I still the liar, Holla Forums?

A handsome, smart, creative man like you?

Of course not!

Yes, in fact you're still more of a liar than Inafundme.

How can one game trainwreck so spectacularly?

have you tried making one, yourself?

I'm making a game myself.

I posted it yesterday, got very high-quality replies and the usual trolls. It's very hard. But it's not the coding, the artwork-synergies that need to be done nor the overall project overseeing that is the hardest part. By far, the hardest work is convincing people your game is worth your money.

And yet another Kickstarter failure will just bring more people away from campaigns of small indie devs whose only shot at delivering good titles is from it.

Some of those are legitimate but most are just nitpicky.

ooga booga

Fuck it, if I wanted to make a game from the ground up (no pre-made engine, I'm talking programming the game from scratch), what would the best language be to do it in, and where could I learn that language?

Are you fucking retarded?Why do you ever need a new engine for a fucking megaman game?
Go learn programming first, faggot, you clearly know nothing.

This is relevant to my interests as well. I dont care if I'm making what basically amounts to an NES game because that is my fetish.

You don't need to make yourself an engine for a 2d platformer unless you plan to do it as a learning experience.
Go learn Lua\Python and pick Love2D\Godot.

Read the FleetCOMM debacle.

C++, maybe Python. Using a pre-made engine is perfectly fine to do, especially if you have no experience before, in which case you could use Godot or Gamemaker
pic related. you can't run a marathon if you haven't even learned to stand

As far as I've seen you only made a fucking teaser trailer.

Don't forget
"See that mountain? You can climb it".

I said I'm -making- a game, not -done-. Yes, I've only published a teaser trailer and the webpage, because once there is a playable build ready, I'll then have published the teaser and the demo, as well as any other media material in-between that.

Okay.

Say I wanted to use OpenBOR, absolutely hate Streets of Rage/ Final Fight's playstyle but absolutely love the Technos Japan Corp style of beat em up.

As long as I learn how to, I can modify OpenBOR to play like Double Dragon/ Kunio Kun etc?

C'mon, this is RPG Maker\Twine tier.
Just learn Python or Lua, those are good starting languages.

Keep it to the /agdg/ thread next time then.

I may have posed it as "I'm going to do this", but It's more of a hypothetical question than anything else. I'm not the kind of person who actually has the patience to make a game.

perfect attitude, fam
well on your way to being the next big dev

Sexy dubs confirm.

Codecademy, right? Lets rock!

just make your fucking game

no read a book like a human

No, Codeacademy is really fucking bad for this, it will basically teach you lots of bad habits and won't get you to know basic stuff that you should know.
If you're up for python, go for "Learn Python the Hard Way", if you're up for Lua then I don't know, but don't use codeademy.

Alright, i will.

How is SmileBASIC? I remember using its predecessor Petit Computer to make a Pong and Space Invaders clone. Had a lot of fun with it.

Eh, I can't really say as I've never tried it, I don't know Basic either.
Use it if you know Basic, I guess.

If we're on the subject of programming, is unity a good engine for a first person grid based dungeon crawler?

The biggest mistake people who are new to game development make is actually listening to the "make it from scratch" crowd.

I don't know OpenBOR, but it seems already too streamlined for a Capcom arcade-esque kind of game. Instead of spending hours and sweat trying to metaphorically hammer the thing so it works exactly the way you want, you should use a more generic engine.

Besides, making your own mechanics will be a far better teaching experience than using a baby wheels engine.

Physically based render and Volumetric lighting are real though.

And that's were you mooks fucked up. You wanted a copy, a pretender, you were so desperate for Mega Man to come back that you were willing to support this atrocity in the hope that it would make Capcom realize that people wanted Mega Man back, but guess what? That was a foolish idea from the get go since Capcom doesn't give a damn. Has Bad Box Art Mega Man taught you nothing? If Mega Man never comes back than at least cherish the past of the genuine article. Accept no fucking substitutes.

But there's over 20 good megaman games.

Yo, hol up 4 MILLION DORRA-RUS a second. That pic of the stretch goal is the closest I found so far of a budget list of where the 4 MILLION DOLLARS went. And it still doesn't make sense, how the fuck can 4 MILLION DOLLARS went into MN#5.6. It can't be, 4 MILLION DOLLARS was not all spent on the game right? It's probably more like 10 grand on the actual game at most, the rest is for hookers blow blackjack, the animu and mango plan, and plans for the sequel. It just can't be 4 MILLION DOLLARS spent into the whole fucking game. Right? JewJap Megaconman had to pay back some yakuza maybe? It just boggles the mind, how the fuck is it even possible.

4 MILLION DOLLARS

Now you fuckers know how us Fallout fans feel.

anyting possibru if you just berieve, birry

YOU
YOU ARE BECK
I WILL DESTROY YOU

Bumplocking because of too many threads

Sticky here.

(You)

Don't make your own engine, unless you an experienced programmer and are strong in the areas of math and physics. Engines are very complex, and while you might be able to put together a renderer or a physics engine, a full IDE is just too complex for one person. I'm sure given enough time one person can make a game engine, but that's just not practical.

Anyway, I'd recommend C++, it has a lot of backwards comparability with C so you'd be able to work on any low-level aspects off your engine. Then you can use GTKmm for a GUI library and use some OpenGL/C++ bindings so you can use the OpenGL API.

learn Construct 2
then
learn GameMaker
learn GML gamemaker
learn Godot/love/unity
make your final project in Godot, Gamemaker would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that it isn't suited towards games that plan on doing anything with collision, or if you plan on doing anything that actually looks nice. It's definitely possible to create your mega man game in Gamemaker tho.