Deeply flawed games you like

Why not talk about some of our favorite games that are extremely flawed?

Here's one that immediately comes to mind. Syphon Filter the Omega Strain

The good:

Now for negatives

Oddly enough the timed aspect of the game is something I really like. It feels like a game that was designed around speedrunning. Inorder to unlock the bonus missions to the game you need to complete several missions solo as fast as physically possible. In one instance you can complete a team based objective by just being really really quick in a particular level. And the first time I did it, it really felt like I was speedrunning a game. I think this was done to compensate for how there were only I think 15 levels. And the entire game can be beaten in around 6 hours.

It's a shame that after the online was dropped for this game it was left as a gimped mess, and the only way you can 100% it now alone is by cheating.

Thankfully it runs pretty well in PCSX2 (I was surprised by that since my history with running games in PCSX2 has been really spotty) and you only need to use a gameshark code to finish the objectives on a few particular maps in order to achieve 100%. I haven't tried emulating its online with someone but I really want to for nostalgia's sake.

I really think this game came out too early, since this style of singleplayer with multiplayer elements is very common nowadays (and have none of the flaws this game does).

What's wrong with it, user? what's right?

Which is why Syphon Filter was always mediocre shit, because it wanted to be a stealth action series cashing in on MGS and failed at it. It practically made MGS look like Theif by comparison.

It has a nice setting and a cheesy but interesting story, yet the game felt pretty dated gameplay-wise when it came out and it gets repetitive fast. Worth a pirate.

I liked Syphon Filter as a kid and still kind of do solely because it was an action game with some stealth elements. I really liked the combat a lot and my favorite part of the third game was it's "Minigame" mode where you could on-demand spawn in a multiplayer map with enemies ala Rainbow Six's terrorist hunt.

Don't get me wrong I don't think it's better than Metal Gear Solid but I've still replayed all of the PS1 games and this one a few times. Much more than a lot of other games I've played on the system. I don't know if it's nostalgia or not but I really enjoy playing them and still do.

I liked it. It was interesting how it turned into a horror game once you got into the hospital. But the final "boss" has to be the one of the worst I have seen. After fighting all those other guys right before and then the final boss is mediocore made the ending pretty lame.

My favorite indie game. This game tried something new and did a pretty fucking good job at it, but it required a lot from the player to get anything out of it. As a result it got destroyed by reviewers and wasn't amazingly successful.

Good:

Bad:

I still love it due to the atmosphere and gameplay style, but god damn they need to port it to the Wii U or 3DS and update the control scheme

Iron Brigade. It was basically dead upon arrival.
Double Fine eventually (around 3 years later) got around to moving it over to Steamworks and fixing most of the bugs, but it was too little and way too late.
Regardless, I still love it. I kinda like the design of the Trenches, and the gameplay was pretty appealing.

So what went wrong?

There are a few other issues but that's the bulk of it. It had so much potential but the user above was right, it did massive harm to it's IP.

I at least appreciated how simplistic and fucking stupid the characters were. The fucking waggle at the end to avoid crashing though, fuck this game.

the very definition for me.

From the top of my head

The good:

The bad:

One thing that was always annoying from the elder scrools series was M'aiq the liar. In every game he appears in he only serves as a massive passive aggressive way to shit on people who did not like some changes or called out dumb shit.

I forgot to add that the passive aggressiveness of shitting on people wanting features that could of improved the game just made the games even shittier than they were. Oblivion and skyrim just couldn't be garbage, they had to include some fag to call you an idiot for wanting crossbows, throwing weapons, improved staves, or more skills.

It's funny because in France, Logan and Snake share the same voice actor.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, IF THE ORIGINAL CC HAD MULTIPLAYER WITHOUT NEED FOR GBA SHENANIGANS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A MUST HAVE GAME FOR BRO-OP
YOU COULD SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT FOUR SWORDS ADVENTURES
GBA/GC CONNECTIVITY WAS THE AMIIBO OF IT'S TIME

the good

the bad

I wanted to expand on one point specifically, the "stakes". Generally you can tell the nature of a story by asking yourself "if the protagonist quit, lost, failed, or just randomly left the narrative, what would happen to the story/setting/other characters?" You can make it more specific: how does the world react and how do the other characters react? This will generally tell you where the drama is located in a story. Sometimes the answer is obvious: if the character lost, the town/kingdom/planet/empire has bad things happen to it. Other times it is "Well nothing happens to the story, but the other characters would be really sad."

Think of two games: Breath of Fire 3 and Chrono Trigger. In BoF3, if your guys just quit and went to live in the woods or something, nothing changes. The plot is entirely moved by your party and their desires (it's a quest, after all). It's purely personal, which is one of it's best strengths. You care about the characters and you want to see their desires fulfilled since you can relate to them. Chrono Trigger, the planet is destroyed if you guys fuck up, among all sorts of other calamities. It's got it's personal things, but it's clear the big motivation is this giant target everyone is moving towards.

I was never exactly sure what was going on in FF13 in this regard. Since it felt like it was trying to do both at the same time with the branding, but the urgency wasn't really clear. They seem to be doing stuff for personal reasons but if they all just quit, it wasn't really clear what would happened to the rest of the setting. Things would be fine if they won or lost, except for them turning because of the brand. but the way the game presents it is as if they are part of something much larger which isn't explained for a long time. So for a large part of the game you are sort of just going through the motions vaguely because you sympathize with the characters but they all act like something larger is at stake even though it isn't explained.

This is high up there.

I'd throw Witcher 1 in there too.

What he fuck?
There was a headhunter sequel?

-Old preset camera angles for a hack and slash.
-lack of depth in combos.
-back tracking constantly in them

But whenever I pick one up I always play it through to the end because I forget the problems and have fun.
Not sure if I could recommend these games now but I sure wish I could.

The good

The bad

There must be more bad shit, but the game really rubs me right
Shame the sequel is taking a long time

I don't understand.

I don't know if it's fair to call Witcher 1 'deeply flawed'.

The only area it really falls down is the combat system and honestly it's grown on me in comparison to the overdone systems of the later games. If you stick the game on the hardest difficulty combat is mostly about preparation of potions anyway.

Block direction is handled by block + mouse direction, instead of block + direction

That game was something else, reused assets: the game
It would be a great game if it was a PS2 game and marketed as a spin-off, plus better plot and
OK, it's a shit game

Onimusha was fucking great when it was new, but I played it recently and was really disappointed with how badly it aged. I've only ever sold a few of my physical game purchases in my life, and that game is now one of them. Got Shadow of the Collosus instead.

Never played the sequel's though. Might one day.

On top of being indieshit, the oblique view in Windforge is annoying and the game's main antagonist is a 'respect muh pronouns' tranny king, but god damn there's something comfy about carving up giant sky whales or building an airship around the shell of a deceased flying kraken nautilus thing.

Also has some hilariously stupid stuff like using the game's ramming physics to mine a floating island by repeatedly bashing a tamed whale into it or using a knife to mine being faster than actual mining tools once your strength is maxed.

What change the nature of a game?
A BAD COMBAT SYSTEM

Yup, one of my favorites, yet totally agree.

Good:
>Is what Ocarina of Time wishes it could be not shit

Bad

It's not that bad to be honest, it's serviceable and you can exploit some moves to your benefit. One that comes to mind is if you let the thief backstab you and you have the skill that reflects damage back. Since backstabs deal multiplied damage, you'll essentially deal that backstab damage to everything infront of the Nameless One. And that's the trick with bad/flawed mechanics, you need to learn how to abuse them.

The fact that you can abuse bad mechanics to salvage the experience doesn't make them not bad.

DMC3, but hear me out.

Whenever I start DMC3, the further I get into the game, the more discouraged I get. The combat is great when you can play around with the fun enemies, but absolute crap when you meet "gimmick" enemies. The boss-fights are great, but the slog through the preceding levels makes me want to stop altogether. While I like some of the level design (bar/stripclub full of demons, destroyed cityscape), I hate the rest of the levels that are essentially grey corridors.

Maybe I'm just not crazy enough to appreciate this game yet.

This game had the same problem that FF explorers had which was if you had someone to play with it was awesome.

If not the narrative couldn't carry a solo play through.

A 3ds port would be great though.

While I can understand why you would not like abusable mechanics in games, if the mechanics are fun to abuse, it can serve to enhance the game. This is my own personal taste of course.

There is a bit of a difference between "good" and "enjoyable." A shit movie can theoretically be so shit that it's just funny to watch and thus somewhat enjoyable, but it's still a shit movie. Similarly, bad mechanics can sometimes be enjoyable in their own way through fun/funny abuse, but they're still bad.

Not going to argue with you on that, because I agree.

I have always liked to see under the hood of games so to speak and it always interests me to see what can be abused and what can't. Chalk it up to curiosity.

With it's biggest flaw being that it's unfinishable because of a glitch on the final boss

There's nothing good about FF13

tokyo extreme racer? nah fam, beat it on my 5th try, super easy.

Gundam Crossfire was not good at all aside from its destructible environments

that's cus you played as those pussy whipped zeeks. Enjoy being cucked by the zabbi family.

It was shit. Game would of been 10/10 if they implemented simple coop with the regular controllers and didn't try to jew everyone.

looks like a prolapsed asshole

Who could forget this game. EYE is every bit as flawed as it is perfect.

Pros:

Cons:

Fuck Nightmare in DMC1.
I died more to all version of that boss to anything in any cuhrayzee game I've played

I didn't mind blood eagles and chess pieces but yeah that fight against Arkham felt bullshit.
I tried going up close but because he's a blob the attacks just seemed infuriating to spot

D3 was technically and artistically complete shit, but I loved to play it, and I have no idea why, it was so comfy (except massive fps drops that made me sick)

Far Cry Blood Dragon and Fallout New Vegas aren't "deeply flawed" games. They're games that aren't perfect but they still accomplished everything they set out to do.

Like the only flaw I can think of with Blood Dragon was it's length. Since it was designed as a 15$ expansion from the start. To some people it's length is actually a huge bonus because the le 80s aesthetic doesn't overstay it's welcome.

With New Vegas it's the combat and arguably a few other aspects of it. The game is still really great.

The biggest difference is that the flaws in these sorts of games aren't dealbreakers and don't really detract that much from the overall experience. You mostly get used to them.

In a game like EYE or Syphon Filter the Omega Strain, the flaws are something you have to be aware of going in and will seriously kill your enjoyment of the game if you get seriously invested in it. Like in EYE for instance if you decide to roll a hacker character you can get to the point where you find enemies you can't hack and your damage output isn't nearly enough to take on the waves of enemies the game throws you. So you'll eventually get to the point where you just give up because the game is so frustrating.

my negro

The California section is pretty crap at times, it's unstable even after the patches, the graphics are mediocre and the writing can be cringey at times, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Huh, say what? I thought he referred to cut features, blatant game limitations and continuity of series, not complaints… I mean, he doesn't have a single Skyrim line about spears, but he does note he can't find a single calliper, and that Skyrim people are said to be prettier than ones in Cyrodil.

Maiq was mostly just the devs making tongue in cheek references to things the fans wanted and things that were also in development. He didn't only just talk about things that were removed he also talked about things that were in development for a while but were cut. Often he just points out things that were flat out improvements like how crime was tracked in Skyrim based on which part of the world you were in and not globally like in Morrowind/Oblivion.

It's moreso the dev coming up with justifications as to why things were changed and pointing out certain things that were legitimately flaws in older titles that were changed in later ones. I didn't see it as passive aggressive.

A lot of the time things like spears and crossbows are things in development they want to re-implement but can't due to time and scope. Like with Skyrim during it's big "game jam" after the game released, a dev added spears into the game as a mod. Along with a lot of other things. Plus stuff like crossbows were added in Dawnguard.

You can set the block direction to auto, but it's better turned off since it's for filthy casuls who can't pay attention to combat
Other than this, the crashes (it's smooth for me), and purging merchants (it's a good source of money you dumb goyim!) I agree with your points
M&B is a rough, unpolished (and dirtful) gem, hopefully the sequel will deliver and seeing the devs already taking the correct steps, eg. Making it open source for modders, it's probably the only game I will anticipate for 2016 2017

If you skip all the cutscenes and get over the candy cotton visuals, this is a really fucking solid shooter

There is actually a mod for SS2 (that is actually included in the Steam release) that increases things like enemy spawns and makes the whole game much faster. I think it was called InSamnity. It really made the whole game much better

Pros
Cons
>Silly dialog and stupid scenarios being presented as somewhat gritty Though I found a lot of scenes funny so its up to preference.
I think it deserved better.

Good:

Bad:

The only thing salvageable out of that shitty movie is the melee combat, like hell it does.

it doesn't change the fact you fight mostly in the enclosed small areas

I never really found Driv3r's positives as being that great considering it came out well after games like Grand Theft Auto Vice City (and even included an easter egg related to it).

It also came out the same year as Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and the quality between the two is night and day.

It was also a game where the dev spent a shitload of money on it's celebrity voice acting (like Michael Madsen voices Tanner and portrays him completely differently to the young Bruce Willis type in Driver and Driver 2) and a game where the dev explicitly paid off publications to give it a high review score and tried to remove criticism of it later.

I remember Larry Bundy Jr. did a really good video on "Driv3rgate".

It was also a game that was clearly rushed to market and was intended to be much bigger and broader in scope originally but the publisher pushed for a greater focus on it's cutscenes and things that would market the game more. It actually comes off more like a product than a piece of art as a result.

No, it's a shit game with a garbage framerate, shit controls, and brain dead, not to mention it killed the momentum of Gundam games in the west.

You have to be a diehard Gundamcuck to remotely enjoy it, kill yourself.

And those negatives you listed are way worse than the positives, driv3r a shit.

Shinobido WOTN is such a fucked up game but I love it

I feel the same. Why they can't make stand-alone improved mercenary mod instead of this godawful Umbrella Chronicles and ReAmnesia: The Walking.

I don't see a problem with that. do you get to kill him?

never played it but the combat mechanics must be well-polished. that's usually where the comfiness comes from.

kill yourself

One of the things he does is call people idiots over wanting thrown weapons and crossbows. THe main reason being is how a shitstorm happened when one of the devs said that one the forums and then proceeded to sperg out at people when they said that was retarded. It was a PR disaster that actually cost them a few fans from the spergout and the removal of features.

There's much more shit Bethesda sperged out on that Maiq didn't bring up. Like I remember a fan asked a Bethesda dev why they retconned Cyrodiil in Oblivion (since in Morrowind it was described as a lush rainforest) and he denied there ever being a difference between both games.

I personally think that's more egregious

A lot of the reason why people like Deadly Premonition is because of it's flaws. People see it like it's a "so bad it's good" video game like Harvester.

totally generic waifu shit, lewd perhaps but nothing special in my eyes

Jericho gets better around mid half of the game but theres no denying the modern times and WW2-levels were some of the worst level design out there. Still, the game is one of the goriest ones out there, relatively short too so recommended if someone likes fucked up violence and gory games.

Alice's gameplay elements are rather shallow and the rush can be clearly seen towards the end. Audiovisually its still great, gameplay-wise its just not as good as the first one.

EpicMickey looked so fucking cool in its initial concepts, but then Disney stepped in and watered down everything, even the gameplay itself to a point an annoying tiny gremlin constantly interrupts you and tells what you should be doing. Theres bits and pieces here and there of the original concept mixing cartoony with creepy but 70% of the time youre doing menial yawn-inducing tasks and collect rather pointless shit all game. The game suddenly picks up for the last 1-2 hours and becomes really cool but you have to suffer through a lot of boring content to get to that point.

Well i ADORE the psychonauts indie art style so you sold one game nigga.

Any other games with this art style or the psychonauts/sam and max feel?

It's not so bad it's good. It's so niche it's good. It's able to overcome its flaws by being great at what it was meant to be great at.

It has focus and no blank cheque for the publishers to demand everything and the kitchen sink in it. It's the reason why Silent Hill 2 was awesome.

Harvester is similar in that it's niche but amazing. One of my top 10 games of all time. Its flaws are that it was delayed and its gameplay suffers from bad aging even when it was new. It's still the king of disturbing niche, mindfuck P&Cs, though.

Oh yeah, They tried to say the in lore explanation was mistranslation.

I think he uses an artifact that he tricks you into finding and then turns into some giant demon thing and you kill that, it's been a while since I played it.
Still, IIRC nobody even questions referring to him as 'xir' and stating that he's so divine and regal that he's a man and woman at the same time or something like that.