I'm developing an indie game, and just started to go public with it today...

I'm developing an indie game, and just started to go public with it today. This is a sneak peek of what it looks like with minimal gameplay footage because the UI is looking like trash and there's a lot of stuff needing refinement, so it's more of a small concept video.

youtube.com/watch?v=3xuYVckMpSI

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tsudoko/long-live-pomf/blob/master/long-live-pomf.md
unity3d.com/unity/faq
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Will there be head patting and waifus?

pillaging and raping if op isn't a cuck

Pillaging will be the main source of income for players, but will also carry some degree of risk only second to larger scale battles, like sieges and army encounters.

Raping, not so much. You'll be able to capture and sell villagers (men and women) as slaves, though,

Head patting and waifus!

I really like the setting. I suppose slavery is good enough

pillaging and slaves!

HEAD PATTING

AND

WAIFUS

PILLAGING
AND
SLAVES

PILLAGING

AND

SLAVES

So, how would this play? What game comes closest to playing like yours?

WAIFUS

AND

RAPING

SLAVES=

AND

HEADPATTING

RAPE
WE NEED RAPE FOR A MORAL BOOST!

head patting and waifus…

Think like playing Total War, but in real-time, and playing battles like Final Fantasy Tactics/Dofus/Poxnora. This is about as close as I can get for comparison.

I'm using morale mechanics for the game.

Scratch the part of building in cities, by the way. This is not a building strategy game.

That was pretty much a teaser trailer but
Got me kind of interested. What is accurate about this?
There better be plenty of headpatting though

HEADPATS ARE JUSTICE

head patting corpses from the pillaging

* Think of an ancient language spoken in Europe during the 5th century.

Units speak those languages in short sentences, like battle commands.

* All units in the game are designed and drawn as real soldiers at the time. Historical accuracy goes only far enough for plausible scenarios.

* Architecture, unit names, tactics, money, food/supplies, the game's politics, all are based on historical documents, books and archeological findings.

The entire game was built around the idea of reproducing the Migration Period.

YouTube is a malicious website designed to take advantage of its users. You should host your video in a more freedom respecting environment. If it doesn't fit in this site's 8mb limit, put it on one of the sites here: github.com/tsudoko/long-live-pomf/blob/master/long-live-pomf.md

Neat Idea OP but the Graphics suffer from not having a single style so it looks weird.

Is this a Grand Strategy game?

how?
also not even city upgrades?

You should kill yourself on principle.

Do you play exclusively AAA shovelware through Steam on your overpriced gaymen rig?

Different artists worked on the project. In the end, the styles will mesh themselves better, at least from a player's perspective.

It's not a GSG in a sense that you do not play as a faction; you play as the leader of a small group of soldiers which represent this larger faction (tribe). However, players influence the general leaning of the tribe; so for example, if the tribe's king is handing out rewards for carrying out raids on tribe X, but players ignore that and start raiding on tribe Y, that plays a part in the politics.

You do not build anything. Think of like Mount & Blade, where you roam the cities with your contingent. You can, however, interact with cities and villages, to help them flourish, which willl in turn help you have more soldiers/money to buy more stuff, and so on. Cities are a hub for players to interact, merge as armies to carry larger raid campaigns in their clans, and to buy/sell whatever you have, as well as being a safe place to rest/train/do whatever the fuck you want, including fisticuffs in the local tavern.

You should not post here on principle.

Cancer
Cancer
Cancer

Delete your Account

If this is what your website is like, I'd hate to see the game.

The effects of being in an echo chamber too long.

Cancer

Indie games are shit though. And modern games are certainly shit. I want video games to stop existing completely.

The website until now has served its purpose, which is to detail what the game is all about and the historical background behind the two tribes that will be featured in the initial version. If you want to judge it based solely on technical variables, I don't blame you; it's supposed to be simple and on-point. If this objective is fulfilled, it has archieved it's goal.

Now, if your criticism is about the amount of data collected, I'll hear what you have to say about it.

This edge sounds like it came straight out of tumblr.

just hide an report

Sounds good OP, keep at it.

Are you happy with the current state of video games? Do you encourage more of what we have now?

Yeah, fell for the b8.

But I see end turn button up there

When you're not in a battle, the world behaves in real-time. One RL day is five in-game days. In the video, think of you having an overhead view of the map, where you are and nearby points where you can travel without too much travelling time; if you want, you can move towards a more distant place, but that takes time, depending on where you want to go.

When you join a battle, the game switches to a turn-based system, where you battle in a specific place of the map, and depending on the results, other players can see it. For example, if you're carrying out a raid in an enemy village, after you defeated the enemies, you can move your units freely to search the houses and places where loot might be stashed. However, after a set amount of time, the enemy will spot you, and another player(s) will have the option to cut off your escape route; you'd then have to fight him with your units which just fought another defending player/village defenses, carrying stuff that can possibly prevent them from fighting in their peak condition because of the weight of loot.

You can counter that by renting/buying handcarts, ox carriages or wheelbarrows to move heavier loot around easier, but then your escape will become much harder.

Looks interesting OP, might just give it a pirate

(checked)
This is my jazz.
Sounds good, would love to see an example of a gameplay

No Gameplay
No Interest

0:18 to 0:33

Too little, fam.
Need more than that

Working on that. Next videos will be better in that regard.

This
Otherwise, the concept seems good.
And do try to make each tribe play uniquely.
Don't pull an Age of Empires thing:
Not shitting on AoE or anything, it's just that single thing bugs me the fuck out.

Needs better name. also is that your sound?

You haven't dropped this? Either you're the same guy from /agdg/ years ago and have made some impressively slow progress, or you're just making literally the same thing that several people there have said they were making.

I feel ya.
I do hope it's somewhat akin to Civ in sense of unique units and boost. It is a turn base game when battle.

All tribes will have different unit rosters. Each tribe will have cultural influences. Two tribes with same cultures will play similarly, but even then, not equally. The only thing I'm pulling from AoE is the unique language each tribe has; though I have about 30 tribes and about 15 different languages, it's quite good enough and it's historically accurate (Goths speak Gothic, Irishmen speak Old Irish, Frisian speak Old Frisian, and so forth).

The voiceover was not done by me. Though I was one of the units' voice actors.

I don't remember ever going to /agdg/. If other people have said they were making the same game I am, I'd be very interested to know.

Probably not then. It was just some no-name project that never went anywhere. You see a shitload of that on /agdg/, and they're usually only identified by the art style.

You mean Mountain Blade, right?

With different ability from other tribes counterpart?
That's the problem here but I'm still interested in this.

Oh, Christ, it's a browser "MMO".

Yes. Though battles in general won't be any larger than ~30 soldiers in both sides because of the large amount of micromanaging required.

Each tribe has an unique roster of units. Each single unit has different abilities and upgrade paths, as well as different stat growths. Each tribe gives all units one single ability (active or passive) which works for all units. All tribes do not have access to all unit types, so for example, while one unit might be very good with ranged units, and have full access to all types of ranged units, it might not be good with infantry, lacking for example a Heavy Infantry unit to hold lines.

Unity.

You'll have a browser system to login and manage your account, as well as checking how your group is going, but that's it.

While one tribe might be very good*

BANNED FROM STEAM GREENLIGHT FOR HAVING A SWASTIKA

What engine?

Unity.

So you will have to pay royalties, right?

Release the server software faggot

Why should I?

Like in Age of Empires?

Kind of. Some abilities use warcries; those warcries were recorded in the native languages. The response from the other units for these commands are also recorded that way. For example, if you make your leader use an ability which commands your units to attack (thus giving them a buff to damage they deal this turn), he will yell in his language (or in Latin, depending on the composition of your warband) the command.

You're the one who had been posting in gsg threads asking if we'd be interested in a game somewhat but not quite similar to grand strat set in the Migration Period, aren't you?
If so, congrats on making progress and actually making this game. Can't wait to play it.

I'm curious, OP. What games have you made in the past? Do you have a 15-30 minutes games that I can play?

Because, honestly, we've seen this kind of pattern before. Someone make a huge epic promise only to never deliver. It's quite prominent in Unity and RPGMaker developers.

Well, good luck. And pray to Allah for success in Ramadan.

Yes, games couldn't be better than today
Hell yes. Finally there isn't toxic cis white male in it and we can have a equal representation of every gamer of this beautiful world. Developers are being assertive on what's needed and my what they want to jerk off to, and you know why? Because finally someone that don't have double Y chromosome is working in it, holding the development of this art as a medium

:^) two can play the retard game faggot

Yeah, I asked about that a while ago. The thread was really good, some anons posted games which attempted this before, and it quite honestly shed some light onto the development process.

I can't promise that the game is going to be epic because taste is very subjective. What I can tell is that I've invested a whole lot into this, both in money and time. If you think that the entire promise of the game so far looks great, then I'm pleased; the whole idea is exactly to deliver that. I've also kept a close eye on how the indie community has developed; some pretty good titles were developed, but flops were also made. The "booze and bitches ant game" debacle, for instance, was quite raging for me and other indie devs, because when shit like that happen, more people will just turn a blind eye on these types of projects, and I don't blame them; there's a huge deal of incompetence in the market today. The only ones doing shit right slowly descent towards mainstreaming or simply don't get enough recognition.

I come from a modding background. I run a mod for a game with a completely different genre than mine to hone my design/developing skills.

Can I play as Rome?

Could you go a little more in-depth about your current combat system?

Even if I like the joke, no sane person would confuse the swastica with a peace simbol of Norse?

Isn't in the agreements of unity that requires a royalty in case of a game being published for selling?

This rages people a lot, but no, you can't. There's simply not enough resources on our development chain to make the largest "faction" of the game which controls the entire gameplay timing and is the big bad guys you can't defeat. Instead, you can work for them as mercs; they'll give things to do, if you're successful, you'll slowly build up trust, and eventually you can get Roman units, which are not exceptionally powerful compared to other units, but are very specialized.

Sure.

The attacks you have available depends on the type of weapon you're holding. Long blade-type weapons (swords) can use slashing or stabbing attacks, daggers can only use stabbing attacks, for instance. You can either use ability attacks or basic attacks to damage opponents. Basic attacks range from Quick, Standard and Strong attacks. Ability attacks often involve several variables not present in basic attacks, and usually cost more stamina.

Each unit can attack up to three times; consecutive attacks in one single turn will exhaust a unit quickly. Stamina is not the only source of exhaustion; as your unit spends Stamina, it also accrues Fatigue, which cannot be removed easily while in combat. Fatigued units perform much worse, losing accuracy, damage, and other stats which dictate combat efficiency.

Armor reduces incoming damage; different kinds of armor will reduce damage differently (Example: all armor classified as Medium reduce more than those classified as Light; one kind of Medium Armor can be better at protecting single powerful strikes than other, which can be more focused to protect against multiple lighter strikes; or other might be lighter).

I can go on if you'd like to know more; it's very difficult to be simple on this subject.

unity3d.com/unity/faq

"Are there royalties or a per-title fee?

No, Unity does not charge on a per title basis and you do not pay royalties or pay revenue share, even for games and applications made with the free version."

s stone poster is that you ?
didn't mark ban you or something ?

holy shit fuck off already

Just don't respond to that faggot. He is a shitposter that use picture of Romans as his signature. Basically a tripfag.

Well, then shit. Holla Forums lied to me again on unity. I should stop trust this place

wew ah haha ha ha :^)
jesus fuck it's just an image it's not the same guy

Don't listen to Romeaboos. I'd much rather a game focus on and fully flesh out the migrating tribes than half of development go to creating Another Roman Strategy Game: The Game and have every other faction be hollow caricatures of a civilization.

Nope. Not willing to

Meh, his question was legit.

It's not really about the engine, to be honest. If I'd have to judge indie projects, those who want to make their own engine are much more likely to bomb (Example: FleetCOMM).

The entire point for the game is to play as one of the tribes. The empires are there simply to fuck over any tribe that dares to challenge Rome dominions in Europe; if a tribe grows too large (conquers too many territories), Rome will counterattack by bribing other tribes to invade it. And that is the entire narrative of the game; you either follow what your tribe/Rome asks, or you risk being a loner and be chased by both, and eventually be executed/exiled and have to start over as either a family member of your unit, an appointed soldier as the next to inherit your leadership over your group and possessions or as a completely new unit appointed by your clan.

What benefit is there to not following the empires / your tribe?

Well tbh that fag was right he was fighting for Holla Forums
I miss him ;_;

What about movement?
Square grid: can you attack in 4 directions or in 8?
Will building and hut interiors serve as part of the battlescape?
Will ground elevation and clutter affect combat?
How do the stats mainly related to combat work?
Will there be unit inventory management or will it be directly linked to its unit tier?
Any insight about possible unit abilities or skills?

Can't think of any more questions but feel free to expand on this topic.

Well, you have my interest op, it's certainly not my favorite time period, but it's a pretty interesting and underrepresented one.

Can I beat the shit out of the Britons as some form of Anglo-Saxon tribe?
This is important.

Say you are in Ceasaraugusta (Roman city) chilling in the local tavern. Being a leader with good Charisma, you manage to acquire some information regarding a village nearby. Apparently, a villager has a hidden stash with quite a good amount of gold. However, the Visigothic king has declared that no Visigoths should raid Roman lands for a week, due to the constant pressure of Basques; the temporary cease of aggressions helps the Visigoths by receiving some bribes from Romans.

If you do raid the village, you're one of the players breaking the King's orders. If another player catches you doing it, he may fight and bring you to the king for a reward if he manages to capture you (yes, if he is from your own tribe this may happen). If you don't get caught, the period of peace may be broken, and the politics behind it might be altered. You might be hunted for a while to pay for disobeying your king, having a bounty on your capture.

Now, against the Romans, it's a different story; being on bad terms with them can range from not being able to access Roman cities to full-blown bounties by proxy from other tribes on your head to capture you.

Each square is a Passus (~1.5m). Each foot unit can move about 4 squares in marching, or 6 squares running. Moving consumes Stamina, even more if the unit has larger equipment load. Running will tire out the unit even quicker. Horseback units can cross 6 squares on trot, 10 squares on gallop. Horses do not tire easily, but are less mobile than foot units while galloping (diagonal movement is dictated on how well of a rider the unit is; better riding ability means better control).

Units can attack in all four adjacent squares. Spears enable attacks in all eight squares if the unit is proficient with ability attacks that enable it. Pikes (labelled 'Heavy Spears', since they can't be thrown) are melee attacks with up to two-square distances, but have penalties when used in adjacent squares. Obviously, spears and pikes enable certain attacks and passive/active abilities which are very useful against cavalry.

Buildings are cover against arrows and can be used as obstacles to form chokeholds. Before combat begins, you can set up ambushes against incoming enemy players; essentially, you can tell which units will be inside which buildings, and when the enemy player raids the village, you can tell when to appear. Obviously, it would seem suspcious for the enemy player to know when everything is too quiet, but they'll have limited amount of time to loot; maybe the village is empty, maybe it's not.

Ground elevation won't be implemented, but we're implementing cliffs that will serve as obstacles. Certain units will be able to climb those cliffs within a certain amount of time/training.

Strength dictates damage with melee weapons, accuracy and stamina cost for heavier weapons like two-handed axes and such, and give a small stamina discount on stamina-heavy attacks. Some shields are too heavy and will require more strength to fully apply their block value.

Endurance increases max HP, Stamina, stamina regeneration/turn, max fatigue and fatigue regeneration. It also plays a part in reducing the chance of units having wound infections or diseases, as well as reducing poison progression.

Agility increases dodge/parry/block, as well as increasing maximum spending of stamina per turn (though the maximum amount of attacks for a unit is three, units with low Agility can only spend a percentage of their full Stamina value; that percentage increases as you have more agility. Also increases accuracy with smaller weapons, such as daggers.

Perception increases dodging vs ranged attacks and stealth detection. Also increases ranged attack accuracy. High perception also allows units to detect exact HP/Stamina/Morale/Fatigue levels of enemy units which are engaged to it.

Charisma is a leader-stat, but high charisma non-leader units which have a favourable stance towards you help you have better stance towards everyone.

Intellect makes units become more trained, faster (level up faster).

Willpower reduces Fatigue penalties (as in, units with high Willpower will have lower combat efficiency penalties when fatigue is high), low-morale penalties and increases Fatigue regeneration.

Luck is highly variable, and won't be in the demo yet; I want it to be a variable that is in low-high appearance per day at low-high amounts. So if you have better luck, the odds of a unit having a "bad day" (high appearance of high amounts of bad rolls) are bigger.

UI IS TRASH?

NO GAMEPLAY TO SHOW?

BETTER MAKE A TRAILER!

Don't waste our time with this shit, faggot.

I hate to agree with him,

but he's right.

There's free video recording software, VLC.

Upload that shit to a webm or Youtube and post it here.

Do post the demo when it comes out

(cont)

These are all what the stats do related to combat.

Inventory management is per unit. Managing inventories during combat is not enabled. You can manage your inventories during the looting part of the game.

Yes; mostly, skills are combat-oriented. The skills which aren't are binary. The more skill you have, the better you are at something. To grow in skill, units need to both train and battle. Only one will not do as an effective way of raising it, though it is possible to max it. Abilities can also be trained. Units can only acquire new abilities if they spend some time practicing it first from a tutor. After they acquire it, they can start using and training to hone it. Levelling up essentially "unlocks" new abilities for you to learn; abilities you unlock are not available at first, and will require practice. Tutors can either be professional warriors in big cities or your own units which already have the ability trained. Practicing takes as long as how good the tutor is.

Abilities are either passives, actives or toggles. As I said before, different units have different selections of abilities to unlock. You cannot unlock all abilities of a certain unit, so building, for instance, a unit that is primarily defensive as a powerhouse is possible; the element of surprise will be a factor, but it will never be as effective in offense as a unit which is predisposed to be a powerhouse.

I don't want to spoil the names of the tribes, but you can see from the Youtube video in the OP that Britannia has a lot of tribes in it. If you want Proto-vikings, there are several flavors of it in the map.

You bet your fucking ass I will.

As in, a type of unit or individual unit?
Because if you don't put an option to standardize a unit, that would be a hassle.

Avatarfagging is cancer. No metter if is following the politics of this month

You can manage inventory before battles and in the spaces of time in-between action. It's not a hassle as in looting is as simple as assigning units to a building to be looted; the unit's inventory will pop up, and the building's loot will be there too, it's a simple click-and-drag. If a unit is overloaded, you can transfer it to a less-loaded unit or to an oxcart/wheelbarrow/horse saddlebags. The fact you're running against the clock while looting the village makes inventory management quite interesting.

Equipment needs to be managed, as it will break/become unusable after a while, but it's very flexible in that you'd have to be irresponsible to let it happen.

All units when hired will have their basic equipment, which cannot be sold/removed, but only replaced. If the unit's basic equipment breaks (breaking cannot happen in-combat), it cannot enter combat until it has the bare basics again (ammunition does not count as bare basics).

Which brings to another question, how many units per battle?

The limit is more of a micro-managing issue than a graphics one. About ~15 soldiers per side, but that can be easily increased for special events. We are trying to make 2v2 battles which will handle about 60 soldiers in one single battle. Siege battles can have technically multiple battles in one single event, which can be quite interesting as well.

I don't have a definite number for that question, but I'm positive that commanding more than 15 soldiers will be quite difficult. Obviously, you can have a party with more than 15 soldiers and assign different groups for different situations.

Where the game at?

Hey, OP, weren't you shilling your game in the GSG thread a few weeks ago?

Hey I remember when you pitched the idea in our /gsg/ a couple of months back. I'm glad to hear that you're actually doing it.

Good luck user!

You have a cute voice user.

It's best to not go public with a game until it's finished. Just saying.
Unless you're trying to profit off of the game, in which case fuck you.

Creating vidya should be a fucking sacrifice, that way you know people would only bother for the good of the craft.

This, and other edgyisms, brought to you by anonymous.
Your game looks like it could be neat someday. Stick with it.
Faggot.

Stop.

So does it play more like Hegemony than total war? More like civ 3 (or At The Gates in concept)?

Either way ill keep an eye out.

fuck off to summer camp already kiddo

Yeah right fuck making a living :^)

That's unreal engine.
tbh (((unreal engine))) is the worst when it comes to the eula. Another example: as per the eula, if a title offends them, they can legally make u delete source code, and remove your game from all distribution platforms, or face a lawsuit.

So, it basically the opposite of Total War, with a real time campaign map and turn-based battles? Or is everything real time?

Well, fuck people who think they can make a living publishing one video game. Get a day job and then make games if it's your passion. Otherwise fuck off.

do you have more of this qt?

Just posting in this thread to inform you that
Dropped

VERY fast grass moving at incredibly hihg speed

Yay, it's the tribalnigger game. Looking forward to it.