So I had this idea for a recurring thread because we totally need more recurring threads

So I had this idea for a recurring thread because we totally need more recurring threads.

Holla Forums has a monthly e-book thread where they share/read books and discuss them.

In this same spirit, I think we could make a weekly vidya thread, with a new vidya issued every Monday that we'd play, discuss and make OC of.

I'm thinking mostly SNES, PS1, N64 and portable console emulation (or low-requirement PC games, etc.) so anyone, even those with toasters can play along.

I think this could help all of Holla Forums myself included because it would be an incentive to actually play video games.

Other urls found in this thread:

sc2.sourceforge.net/
oldgamemags.com/
retroactionmagazine.com/retrolinks/videogaming-magazine-preservation/
archive.org/details/gamemagazines
retromags.com/
poal.me/g3xws3
poal.me/wf0m3l
hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten2.htm
theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/snes/shin-megami-tensei-ii-english-translated/
justflipacoin.com/
mega.nz/#!kl1B3bTB!QwF20YGKLDx3dDZzCAppYuYMbfcCWdRzKKcj3x-5QME
mega.nz/#!px1zBaJI!vgf6N-n5QONLPpQFGk5p3BCO7fBx3bbq4sxxnDJWIyM
poal.me/pw2sea
poal.me/pw2sea).
pastebin.com/j7p3k8Xp
pastebin.com/Usx07G27
pastebin.com/Usx07G27)
pastebin.com/wWAmDss4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I like it. Let it happen.

Problem will be getting a consensus for the games. The guy on Holla Forums you're referring to dumps a good chunk of books that cover a variety of topics. Some people won't be happy with X game and want Y.

That sounds like a fun and unique idea for a thread, which is exactly why it's already doomed to fail.

I also proposed old games specifically because it's hard to find good new ones.

I think exploiting nostalgia and starting with some classics like goldeneye, spyro or medievil would get the ball rolling. We could pick 3 games weekly based on different genres too.

fuck off with your >le slash v hates vidya meme

we could read through game magazines and point out all the cringy shit in them

Weekly is pushing it, maybe monthly or every two weeks instead.

How would the decision process even work? Polling?

This is a good idea, but what should we start with?

you know what because that isn't actually playing vidya it may get more of an appeal.

Well, the proposition is still just a rough draft. Your point is sensible.

No.

ACCORDING TO THE WILL OF KEK
LET DUBS DECIDE

Checked

Think these dubs are giving your idea its blessing.

I like this idea. We could look at old Nintendo power magazines, EDGE magazine, the Archie sonic the hedgehog and mega man comics, and more.

No, that's a terrible idea. I think anons nominating games and then voting on them would be best.

Kek has spoken

How about votes for nominations, dubs for decision?

Or we could also keep a grand list of games we already played to stop that from happening.

I see there are some fellow redditors here, I'll make sure to post this grab on r/Holla Forums, thanks for the karma

Not a terrible idea, and it could totally give some more obscure or older titles some much needed exposure. does have a point, but I don't think it should discourage us from trying.
I suggest Star control 2 for the first game, it is a must play to basically anyone interested in video games and it has a free open source release.
sc2.sourceforge.net/

I could maybe see a system where anyone who gets dubs gets to nominate a game and then we vote on the nominees working

Okay so here's a new draft.

Every X period of time (2 weeks, 1 month, TBD) a thread is made where 3 games are selected to be played (+1-2 shitty game magazines to dig up cringe and OC?). Dubs nominate one game. There are 10 slots for nominees. Once those slots are filled, a vote takes place for which are the 3 we play.

A list is kept of games played so there are no repetitions.

Just do that.

I'd like to see a Nintendo Power marathon here. I bet theres stuff in there that flew over our heads and some good material to laugh at like giving some shit games a good score or cry that certain titles never get brought up again or how different people making the games were in the interviews they were in.

I like it.

how about 3 nominations total, and if someone gets quads or quints they get to choose the game

You know, I'm seeing enough support in both of these ideas so I think we should do one weekly/bi-monthly Holla Forums reading thread and one bimonthly/monthly Holla Forums playing thread.

Just video games might be good enough.

Sounds good. Maybe a game once every two weeks and a magazine to laugh at during the in-between week (with a reminder of what the current game is). That'll help people who missed the game announcement jump in next week while bringing in something extra.

What if we attempt to find video game magazines released around the time of the game, and laugh/discuss whatever the thoughts and context surrounded the game?

This is actually a really good idea.

That sounds pretty good to me.

Although maybe instead of limiting the number of nominees, have a certain timeframe in which nominations can be made (e.g. until the nomination thread 404s, until X:XX time EST/PST/PTSD) and if we don't meet the minimum number just prolong the timeframe until we do.

Although that could just result in way too many nominations and no decisive vote. Just spit-balling here.

This

Everyone play these.

What I was thinking, let's read some good magazines. I'll dump some now.

Also interesting. Let me start making an OP template and let me know what you think about it.

Yeah, that's actually alright. How would one get those magazines?

Researching archives and maybe (with some luck) anons with scans.
oldgamemags.com/
retroactionmagazine.com/retrolinks/videogaming-magazine-preservation/
archive.org/details/gamemagazines
retromags.com/

BI-WEEKLY TRIPLE THREAT THREAD

ITT: WE SELECT 10 NOMINEES (DUBS DECIDE, CHECK LIST OF PREVIOUSLY GAMES BEFORE POSTING) AND VOTE FOR 3 GAMES TO PLAY FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS.

A WEEK BEFORE THE NEXT SELECTION, WE POST DANK VIDYA MAGAZINES AND ARTICLES FROM NEAR THE DATES IN WHICH THE SELECTED VIDYA WAS RELEASED.

LINK TO LIST: idkfamtbh.org

While unrelated to the thread, I just had a thought after that Crash Retold story popped up here, that Holla Forums would eventually tackle the longest fanfiction ever which is that Smash Bros. Brawl Subspace Emissary's Worlds Conquest

Stop user, you're just making me sad
Keep going though

Oh yeah, cwc's 3 million word long fan fiction. Will Holla Forums ever be able to get through that?

this might produce some interesting OC

I like it

So when do we start? All 4 of us

Oh definitely, the OC is going to be the best part

NOW

ALRIGHT ANONS START POSTING NOMINEES ONE PER POST DUBS LOCK EM IN.

pic related

has a day of the week been decided?

Once again, I nominate Star control 2

fug
beat me to it

Monday we decide on the vydia. At least that's what I said on the OP.

Also, today is Monday.

Nominating my pick

Trips for Spyro 3. MY FUCKING NEGROID.

Nomination
Last time I played this on project64 there were major graphical glitches, like everything on that shitty emulator

CHECKED

Dubs for Luigi's mansion

KEK WILLS THIS IDEA

WINRAR

CURRENT NOMINEES:

SPYRO: YEAR OF THE DRAGON (PS1)

LUIGI'S MANSION (GAMECUBE)

Nice

Oh baby. ANOTHER NOMINEE.

I sure hope Kek approves of this nominee

your gonna love this …

Kek approves

come on man atleast link the posts to confirm the dubs

did not get dubs but covered the nomination

CURRENT NOMINEES

TIMESPLITTERS: FUTURE PERFECT (PS2)

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

Holy shit dawg.

TIME TO SPLIT

Here's hoping.

Alright fam

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

Come on lady luck

Can a pc without a gpu even run these emulators? Mine blew up last week.

Alright fine let's do this shit

Dolphin works

Nominating the game i've been shilling for months :^)

I can't possibly not back this up.

that was my normal state

*this* is Super Saiyan 1

I like the sound of this idea, but it also feels like this is a thread I wouldn't want to read through, so what's the verdict?

Shit taste.

Damn, i hoped this would be nominated

i'd be down
if it weren't for the fact that the chosen game would be manchild shit or normalfag shit 99% of the time
boy can't wait for manchildren to unironically expect me to play solatorobo and uncharted

No rerolling?

Start from and skim from there.

That's why it's three games, ignore the ones you really don't want to play.

see? you see what i said right here? >9775597
manchildren ruin everything.

OK I'll throw something up
Should there be a limit to how long the game should be?

PSX emulation should be fine, try out Dolphin for GC. PS2 emulation might work, and N64 is always a wild card

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

6 NOMINATIONS LEFT

BOO HOO NIGGA I DON'T SEE YOU POSTING GOOD GAMES

NOMINATING PIC RELATED

so you want to have people discuss three fucking games in one thread
no thanks

I don't mind reading a lot, I just imagine the bulk of the thread being:

I guess I will have to power through. Thanks user.

Good to know thanks.

checked

ROLLIN

People say summer is a myth but I'm not so sure

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

MEGAMAN X (Super NES, GameCube, MS-DOS, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Android, iOS)

5 NOMINATIONS LEFT

EXCELLENT FUCKING TASTE.

Is it okay to reroll?

I would be unbelievably down for this, but doesn't it emulate like shit?

I think just sticking to only one roll is the best, makes the thread not a clusterfuck.

Frames of War, with more Russians

enjoy your intellectual discussion about kingdom hearts my man

I emulated it, and it emulated just fine for me.

Okay, well I'm rerolling for Yakuza.

Rolling

Yeah, that sounds a little stupid. Besides, on top of my normal backlog I have to do life things. Even if I played all 3 games in the week, I wouldn't have enough time to finish them all. Playing just one game out of the bunch may work out, but having discussion on 1/3 of the thread's content isn't my idea of a good time

Also, I've played MegaMan X, Luigi's Mansion, and all 3 Spyro games to death. If the games to play for the week were more obscure titles on older systems, everyone would be able to experience it for the first time themselves

I'll nominate Resident Evil 3 since it's in my backlog.

You even got dubs, you could've nominated Hatred or something. That's the beauty of this system, even someone with shit taste like you can participate and nominate their favorite games.

Super Mario Sunshine failed, but maybe lady luck will rub her tits all over my post this time

I think discussing only 1 game is good. Alon with not nominating anything too mainstream (no zelda, mario, ect.) Castlevania cotm is good though.

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

MEGAMAN X (Super NES, GameCube, MS-DOS, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Android, iOS)

5 NOMINATIONS LEFT

ANOTHER FAGGOT TALKING SHIT WITHOUT POSTING GAMES.

Well that's me out.

Lets get this rolling. Nominating "glover".

Alright, maybe you have a point in saying we should make an effort to look for older and more obscure titles, but I just feel like pointing out that you can revisit a game any number of times and still come up with new things to say about it. Maybe your tastes have evolved since you last played this old game and you've noticed something that you haven't before? Maybe someone else may be able to point out something else about your game that you never knew?

I do agree that we should only choose one game per thread per week or maybe two weeks. Gotta give people time to digest it.

It's three games over two weeks, and you don't have to play all of them. Don't vote for games you don't feel like playing. If all the super-popular games win, then play something else for two weeks, no big deal.

Rolling.

so just shill til the next episode. it might not cater to you every time but there are choice cuts to be discussed eventually. i hope you'll at least be around for the "more acquired taste" discussions that are bound to come up.

Bad luck so far, rolling.

You raise a good point. I think that what could potentially be one of the best things about these threads is that they'll shine some much needed light on older and more obscure titles.

There's not much point if everyone's already played the game.

I THINK THERE OUGHT TO BE A THREAD RULE ABOUT NOT POSTING WITHOUT NOMINATING UNTIL WE FILL THE SLOTS

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

5 NOMINATIONS LEFT

ROLLING FOR PIC RELATED

Rolling for "shin megami tensei 2"

Nice.

I thought we weren't allowed more than one nomination? Or is it just no re-rolls?

Fucking sweet

dance furiously

Just no re-rolls or else I should quit nominating already

Its been so long since a games been nominated i think this is justified.

Please, lady luck! Grant me dubs

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 2 (Super Famicom, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, iOS, Android)

4 NOMINATIONS LEFT

Did that game ever get an english translation?

Welp this is what I get for praying to a female conceptualization of luck

Well shiiet, guess I'll nominate this then

Don't judge a book by its cover

Yeah, it's been out for a bit. Pretty good, should be available on any good site.

This thread turned out how I imagined. Well fuck it, if you want obscure games then how about pic related?

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

ASTRO BOY: OMEGA FACTOR (GBA)

4 NOMINATIONS LEFT

FUG I MEANT 3 NOMINATIONS

Nice

dubs or bust

PLEASE BE DUBS

Noice

Too bad nobody's gonna vote for it

OKAY I FUGGED UP HARD EARLIER

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

MEGAMAN X (Super NES, GameCube, MS-DOS, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Android, iOS) (You)

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 2 (Super Famicom, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, iOS, Android)

nice. tfw some faggot stole my copy years ago.

gamecube?!
shit how old am i ?

Don't start worrying about your age, it only makes it worse.

Rolling

OH LORD OF DUBS AWASH ME WITH YOUR GLORIOUS TAINT SWEAT

b-but im only 25 ;_;

No brakes on this train

There's an English patch, not that you really need it

castlevania-like

Now you're making me feel old.

Rolling for Impossible Mission.

And another

Oh nice.

FUCK THE GODS OF DOUBLES THEY HAVE FORSAKEN ME. I SHALL REFUSE THEIR SALVATION AND GATHER THE STRENGTH OF DOUBLES ON MY OWN TERMS

KILLER7

ONE LAST RECAP BEFORE I BAIL.

I'LL BE BACK BY 9:30PM EST

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

MEGAMAN X (Super NES, GameCube, MS-DOS, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Android, iOS) (You)

IMPOSSIBLE MISSION (Acorn Electron, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari 7800, BBC Micro, Commodore 64, Sega Master System, ZX Spectrum, PS2, PSP, NES, Nintendo DS, Oric Atmos)

2 NOMINATIONS LEFT.

SOMEONE TAKE OVER THE THREAD WHILE I'M GONE PLEASE.

share some of your righteous wisdom oh devil dub demigod

jfmsutbhfam

Praise be to kek

Shit, maybe the dubs gods like C64 games. Rolling for a good old one.

That's what you get, heathen.

You know no-one will.

I should uninstall and move to other things and yet…

That was a fucking great game.There is difference between the Ps1 version and Pc version?

Neither heckling nor condemnation shall prevent me from achieving DOUBLES

Rolling for bikini bitches

Oh shit

Another good one gets nominated.

I don't know, I'm afraid. I'm just picking games from my backlog.

why dose that remind me of a cretin someone..

Didn't realize someone already nominated it. Shit.

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

IMPOSSIBLE MISSION (Acorn Electron, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari 7800, BBC Micro, Commodore 64, Sega Master System, ZX Spectrum, PS2, PSP, NES, Nintendo DS, Oric Atmos)

UNINVITED (NES)

The more the merrier.

PREASE

One nominee left, rolling.

FUCK YOU I'M GOING TO BE LATE

ONE LAST RECAP BEFORE I BAIL.

I'LL BE BACK BY 9:30PM EST

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

UNINVITED (Apple IIGS, Macintosh; Atari ST; Commodore 64, Amiga; NES, Famicom; PC)

ONE NOMINATION LEFT

thanks bro.

be late fucker!!!

finish what you started

QUE TE JODAN
You don't want to give me dubs well then I won't give you serious responses.

HEAVEN OR HELL LET'S ROCK

I would play the shit out of that.

This tbqhbbq

Technically not a reroll :^)

sonic

may the dubs be with me

FUCK YOU

That's ten

THERE IT IS!!

ONE CREDIT HARDEST DIFFICULTY

well, fuck. Looks like we're out of nominations.

what are your specs?

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

UNINVITED (Apple IIGS, Macintosh; Atari ST; Commodore 64, Amiga; NES, Famicom; PC)

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (Sega Genesis, GBA, N3DS, iOS, Android)

in case OP already abandoned us.

CURRENT NOMINEES

TONIC TROUBLE (N64)

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (Sega Genesis)

TIME TO VOTE! GOTTA VOTE FAST

SO MANY DUBS!!!!!

SPYRO: YEAR OF THE DRAGON (PS1) (ME)

Should we use poal or what?

I don't know. I mean, I guess so. I'm not sure how OP would've wanted to do it, though I don't see why poal won't work just fine.

I would do AoF3, but AoF2's difficulty could make for some entertainment.

idk
but my dubs this thread are in point

poal sounds good, waiting for OP would take four hours.

poal.me/g3xws3

Would be better

The thread might die before op comes back, we should probably just start.

damnit you beat me to it
poal.me/wf0m3l

forget my poll, just use the first one

Fucking faggot beat me to it

cast your votes now!!!!!!!

Don't forget, it's Three Out Of Ten

What are the best versions of SMT2, Impossible Mission, and Uninvited?

I'll throw together a rom pack in a bit.

TIMESPLITTERS

ftw

Yeah I was wondering how that was going to work

I don't think poal lets you specify how many votes you get specifically, either just one vote or unlimited votes

I guess top three then?

how about making a ROM pack of the winners

i would think so

Let's go with top three until OP comes back, if he doesn't like it then he can bitch about it then.

Shit Mega Titties, let's do this

Guess we'll have to

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 2 in the lead

Be ready to trow download links for this shit or else no one is going to play

Should we really choose 3 games? Also, how long should this poll remain active?

download and play whichever of the 3 you like

maby 1 hr

maybe until OP gets back

I guess just until OP comes back

In the future we should do this over Saturday and Sunday, with the actual stuff starting on Monday

this thread is ours now

Holy fucking shit, I dreamed about this thread existing in January. Confirmed for divinely inspired. Guess I'm a faggot for not taking it as a sign. Also,
How's this working, are we starting a new thread for the actual playing?

Choosing three helps people pick games beyond their favorite one. It gives the obscure choices a better chance of getting some play. Top three isn't as good but it'll have to do this time around.

Yeah, doing this on a weekend would make it alot more active, but this is a good start.

thats the point numb nuts

Yeah this thread is a mess, we should try to keep the nominating threads and the actual discussion threads separate

for now lets do this
next time do the voting on sunday and let it rest a whole day so every timezone can vote then start monday

it was completely constructed in less that 2 hrs.
i think it was pretty successful

why?

More active so more anons can vote and then discussion over the week.

Gives more people time to participate if we have a full 24-hour voting period

on Holla Forums ?

This is about as active as it gets in here.

More anons will be on Holla Forums on the weekend than on weekdays.

[citation needed]

I'll participate, hopefully this will resurrect Holla Forums cause it has been fucking boring and dead over the last few days if not weeks.

Most people have most of their free time on weekends. What is so complicated about this?

I'm surprised Uninvited is doing well. I'm glad it is, though. It could be interesting to discuss with other anons.

=SHIN MEGAMI TENSAI II HYPE==

Good job, user. Be the change you want to see.

Only you can prevent halfchan 2.0 from becoming a reality.

its not complicated if you can provide proof.

Thursday Friday and Saturday are better days than Sunday.

come on you fuckers, vote spyro

I'm in too, voted for astroboy since i already started it on my 3ds and it's fucking good.

SMT2 looks fun but I'm hoping this gets in as well. Should make for a nice contrast.

But muh Timesplitters.

You're supposed to vote for games nobody's played, not games everybody's played

Then we're gonna need a new thread, buddy.

Man I'd throw up a server for Ostfront but Tripwire would ban my shit again

says who? your mom?

I doubt I can even emulate PS1 games on my toaster.

Well I mean yeah the list isn't exactly ideal in my opinion, but there are some semi-obscure games up there

hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten2.htm
Originally released for the Super Famicom, Shin Megami Tensei II also got the PlayStation treatment. And once again, the graphics have been improved with the smooth scrollling effect, with some areas featuring drastic overhauls - the disco actually looks like a disco now, and the virtual arenas are pretty cool - as well as an option for a lowered difficulty level. Unfortunately the first print run is known to be buggy, and while a fixed version was released, trying to find the right one might be difficult. And much like its predecessor, Shin Megami Tensei II was also ported to the Game Boy Advance. This port has visuals comparable to the PlayStation version but without the smooth scrolling. It also has a few minor unlockable story scenes.

According to these guys, the PSX or GBA version are best

Barring an outlier, GBA will no doubt run best for most people.

sounds fun, I've been turboing through the Doom 1 and 2 and the Jedi Knight series recently. Having a weekly thing people can get behind would be sweet. Maybe give an extra week to big RPGs, but I think it could be fun

I just don't see the point of playing games so well-known that even most normalfags have played the shit out of them

I don't think there are translations for any of the remakes though, are there?

I ain't played any of these.

I don't think so, and most of us here probably don't know the moonrunes, so SNES it is.

The SNES version is the only version with a fan translation patch available for SMT II.

This thread was made possible by people like you. Thank you

What the fuck are you doing nigger?

Well I guess now you've got something to do

the vote aint done yet.

COME ON NOW! VOTE!!!

You're not in the right poal

I count 40.

Wel fug

theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/snes/shin-megami-tensei-ii-english-translated/
HERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI ENGLISH TRANSLATION ROM. It's pre patched, so no hunting for specific ROMs with a specific header hash value or whatever.

poal.me/g3xws3

Get in here fuccboi

doin vidya gods work son

So we play SMT2 and discuss it right now, or do we have a determined day in which we all put down our vidya and start discussing and drawing stuff?
Maybe we could wait until friday/saturday to discuss it so everyone's got a decent opinion to share, and vote on another game to play in sunday/monday.

I'm guessing the poll will close when we make the next thread. Could be today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

Had the impression that we'd be playing them over the course of two weeks and OP will make the threads.

It's the top three games, some cool user offered to make a ROM pack of them when the voting's done. Discussion details will have to wait for OP or whenever the poll closes like says.

I think its the idea we have the discussionmover the week so anons can duscuss strategies, first impressions, thoughts, ect.

The poll isn't even closed mang, we should wait for op.

Jesus user, I can't beat a JRPG in two days!

I figured we'd just try to keep a thread up most of the time and post as we play

I can't imagine it'll be too active so one thread should last at least a day or two

this

I cant believe we didnt have this kind of thread a long time ago.

The idea reminds me of the old retro game challenges, but I think this is much better as it unites us and makes it more of a group activity

What do we do in the event of a tie (as we are now)?
Just nominate both games?

I'm not sure, but remember that we select the top 3, so I guess the easiest way to do it would be to just select whichever 3 end up on top

I think its based on whoever votes the latest, so you might just be able to change your vote back and forth to get the title you want to the top.

whichever game was suggested first?

We should pray to the mighy kek, and he can tell us which game should be the true winner.

What the fuck do you mean.

so lads, once we have the games to play, do we upload gameplay somewhere or just discuss shit in thread?

I'd say the top 3 games should be aight, allows for a diversity of vidya discussion in the threads.

You can do whatever the fuck you want, but most people are probably just gonna take some screencaps and make posts about the parts they liked/disliked

If you want to record gameplay footage I'd recommend making webms

Yeah, just top 3. A tie would only matter if it was for third place, and in that instance we could just make another poal to decide it (assuming the original poal is closed). It's really up to OP though.

Well, when op comes back and we have our decisive 3 games, we should start a new thread and discuss there. As long as it is relevant to the games, anything goes really (oc, maybe an user will upload gameplay, offical artwork, ect). We just cannot have it going off topic. The threads should be taken seriously on that front.

You can make a fucking let's play for all we care. As long as we have enough content to talk about it should come naturally anyway.

Done.

You're doing God's work user

Also, I hope this takes off. I look forward to Halloween week.

poals are really easy to rig though, and OP doesn't have to always be the same person.

if evens, let kek decide 3rd place
if odds, let first submitted decide 3rd place
if dubs, let OP decide

Make the games 8 hours tops. I don't want to slog through any storyshit.

Choose games that are just pure game.

So how is all this shit going to work I don't wanna read the ideas in this thread because when something is made the formation is hazy and abstract therefore hard to find like a needle in a haystack someone gimme the rundown.

Just read the thread. It's not complicated.

Meant the OP of this thread should decide how we choose the game as it was his idea (if he comes back). Nothing wrong with your idea though.

Basic format is
Nominees are
Voting is
(remember, Top 3 wins)

Someone offered to make a zip of the top three ROMs. Once OP is back in a few hours we can finalize everything.

I think we should wait for OP before we try finalizing any other rules, but so far we've definitely established this much

Basically the only thing we still have to iron out is what to do in the event of a tie

We flip a coin.

The quickest thing for a tie would be dubs though.

I thought about that, and figured that whoever orchestrates it could use something like this justflipacoin.com/ but it might end up with faggots bitching about how it's rigged or some shit

How exactly? Just if someone says, "If I get dubs it's XXX?" That would definitely work but it just doesn't feel right for some reason

If only Holla Forums had dice enabled

Or just seeing if the post end in evens or odds and basing it off that.

I think that would be better, my main issue with using dubs is that it could take a long time and a shitload of posts to reach a decision

Yeah, use random.org

Can't hurt to plan in advance.

Looking further into it.. As far as I can tell, the Super Nintendo version appears to be the only one that is fan-translated. I'll have to go with that for now.

Here's the current nominees so far:
mega.nz/#!kl1B3bTB!QwF20YGKLDx3dDZzCAppYuYMbfcCWdRzKKcj3x-5QME

I've decided to go with the NES version of Uninvited, the SNES version of SMT2, and the C64 version of Impossible Mission. If there's a superior version of one of these available, let me know.
I've had to omit Spyro YofD, Luigi's Mansion, and TimeSplitters to minimize filesize, but I'll upload them later tonight.

Doing gods work, user.

Is SMT 2 fine to play if you haven't played the first game?

It's a direct sequel to SMT 1 so you might miss a few references here and there, but it's a new MC set a decent chunk of the way into the future so you won't be lost or anything.

The only real downside to playing 2 first is it makes 1 a little bit harder to go back to, thanks to the quality of life improvements.

So, do we just play these games?

Spyro 3 BIN/CUE (Greatest Hits):
mega.nz/#!px1zBaJI!vgf6N-n5QONLPpQFGk5p3BCO7fBx3bbq4sxxnDJWIyM

On second thought, I won't upload the other two as my internet speed is sorely lacking and they're particularly easy to find elsewhere. It's important that I uploaded what I did as they're all NoIntro rips, SMT2 is pre-patched, and there's a number of essential fixes in the Greatest Hits version of Spyro 3 (and it's a bit tricky to find in BIN/CUE format).

Anyways, looking forward to see what kind of discussions come from this. It's always a bit disappointing to have completed an older game and having no-one to talk about it with. Not to mention it's a great excuse to trim the fat on ye olde backlog.

Here's hoping it isn't a complete disaster.

When will the "real" thread be made? I'll probably participate

read the thread user

Thanks man.

Im curious as to what is fixed in the greatest hits version.

The music, baby! The other changes are maybe not as gamebreaking as I remembered, but seeing as we're sitting at a tentative two weeks, I'm imagining several people might be going for 100% completion and something like this would just be a pain in the neck.

I looked, and i just cannot find the greatest hits version anywhere. You were right on how hard it is to find. Thanks for the download user. I was actually looking for a non glitchy copy of spyro 3.

So how long's this poll going on for?

I think until op comes back

Who the fuck knows, let's just wait for OP to stop being a normalfag

Since i haven't really got how we're gonna talk about three games in the same thread I'll post my idea:
The OP of the new thread should post (obviously) this as the op and then three post like "To talk about reply to this post"(maybe followed by the game cover) and so on, so to create a somewhat organized discussion.

Seems a little pointless. Everybody is going to be talking to everybody else, and as long as you specify which game you're talking about (which should be obvious) there won't be a problem.

This all could be fixed if we would only play one game every [time span] like a normal fucking book club. If the game to play weren't voted upon, it would keep the whole thing from going meta about which game to vote for (along with the fags who will vote and not contribute, or vote on multiple devices to rig in their favor, etc), and nobody would be salty their game didn't win. Imagine a group of autistic anons picking a game from some shitty franchise each and every time, shitting up the pool of games and making normal people resent the threads as a whole.

Been doing some preliminary tests on some games. Spyro runs fine on ePSXe, as does Uninvited on FCEUX. Timesplitters gets pic related on PCSX2. Never used this emulator and didn't fiddle around much yet. Timesplitters is also on gamecube but apparently it has horrible compatibility on Dolphin.

This problem could be just me though.

Don't think it needs to be so organized. We should just try a default, chaotic sort of discussion and if that doesn't work consider alternatives.

Have you tried messing with the rendering settings? Try using opengl, software, and hardware modes to see what happens. Also try increasing/decreasing the rendering resolution.

OP HERE

I'M BACK BITCHES

WHAT HAPPENED? HOW'S THE POLL LOOKING?

Best looking one I got was Direct3D9 (software) but you can't change resolution and is rather slow, though that may be because I don't have a gpu.

poal.me/g3xws3

Forgot pic. Don't know if it shows in the screenshot but it has a lot of jaggies.

TIED FOR FIRST PLACE:

SPYRO YEAR OF THE DRAGON

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 2

UNINVITED

DO WE HAVE A SOLID SELECTION OR DO YOU WANT TO WAIT LONGER? ALSO I READ SOMETHING ABOUT DOING THE VOTING ON SUNDAY, WHICH IS THINK IS A GOOD IDEA FOR NEXT TIME.

Thanks m8s

Think it's up to you man.
Also made a pack with most of the nominees.

for Spyro Greatest Hits

Looks good to me, though yeah in the future I feel like we should have at least a 24-hour voting period to ensure all timezones get a shot to vote

OKAY THE POOL'S CLOSED

OUR FIRST THREE OFFICIAL CHOICES ARE

SPYRO: YEAR OF THE DRAGON

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 2

UNINVITED

THERE WILL BE A READING/RECAP/CHECKPOINT THREAD THIS SUNDAY WHERE WE WILL BEGIN DISCUSSING THESE GAMES, THE MAGAZINES/REVIEWS THAT CAME OUT NEAR THEIR LAUNCH DATE AND CREATE DANK OC.

ON THE WEEK AFTER, WE WILL BE NOMINATING AND VOTING ON SUNDAY THREADS.

Looks good to me guys, are we all cool with this thread set-up?

Saturday or Friday might be preferable to Sunday.

Make it 48 hours, starting on Friday morning and ending on Sunday morning. That way, the games start on Sunday and give everyone some time to get into them before the work week

poal.me/pw2sea

Just fuck my shit up fam.

What do you think should happen if there is a tie for third place? And for the next time, are we allowed to renominate games that have already been, but wasn't selected in a previous top 3?

Tiebreaker game. Whoever can get the highest score in a webm gets to decide.
Possible tiebreakers are Xevious, Ridge Racer, Puyo Puyo, etc

As long as we haven't played them it should be kosher.

I was just thinking good ol' dubs fam. It helps channel the shitposting.

or it could also be some shitty online flash game and play it on a stream I guess.

Sounds like a fun idea and would actually make us play more vidya butthen how would we decide what game to use?

the face when

It would have few or no common elements with the games the tiebreaker is between, chosen by the OP or whatever. We could also make a list to choose from, by random

well I think the traffic is actually grater on weekends. I just started today because I didn't want to procrastinate on the idea.

Actually I have a reeally good idea for tiebreaker. Whoever posted the game has to draw OC of the game. Whoever draws the best OC wins.

Jesus fuck OP calm down about the OC shit
Not everyone is an artist. Shit like OC never happens when you force it

Whoa dude, relax, it's just a tie breaker. We don't need a deathmatch.

BEGONE, SATAN

Seconded.

Alright fine, what about whoever can find the best porn on that game?

What kind of a sick fuck are you

I like the idea of playing a game to decide.
More in the spirit of the board.

OP, a tie is a very unlikely event.

This thread is a good idea. Please do not ruin it by trying to be too cool for school or trying too hard to be funny. At the absolute least, there will be a week or two until the next vote, so just let people do as they will.

Oh user…

Yeah you know what maybe a screenshot of that game would be best.

Well, maybe dealing with it when it happens is best.

OKAY SO WE'LL DEAL WITH THE UNLIKELY EVENT OF 3RD PLACE TIES WHEN AND IF THEY OCCUR

there's very little input on the "when do we vote" poll (poal.me/pw2sea). So if I don't see more votes I'll just say saturday, sa it is the current leader.

I agree, but the thread was created to get people playing and talking about video games. There's no need to worry so much about a potential resolution to a potential problem when we aren't even sure if there will be enough interest in the first place to make figuring out that problem a necessity.

It's good to be prepared, just don't overdo it and sperg out. If you're looking for something to do, you could work on writing a usable OP pastebin for the next threads, figuring out how to best archive the threads, or making a header image template in Gimp (last week's games were X, Y, Z, this week's games will be A, B, C, etc.).

I feel like you may be latching onto the tiebreaker problem subconsciously because making a good recurring thread like this is a lot of work compared to most chan shitposting. I just don't want you to get lost, is all, since this thread has the most promise of anything on Holla Forums in the last three or four months.

Ah, fuck, sorry. This post hadn't loaded when I submitted .

Alright I'm not seeing any more activity on the poll so we'll be doing the nominee picking on Fridays

POLLS WILL BE OPEN UNTIL SUNDAY TO AVOID TIES

REMEMBER THAT OUR FIRST THREE OFFICIAL CHOICES ARE

SPYRO: YEAR OF THE DRAGON

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 2

UNINVITED

THERE WILL BE A READING/RECAP/CHECKPOINT THREAD THIS SUNDAY WHERE WE WILL BEGIN DISCUSSING THESE GAMES, THE MAGAZINES/REVIEWS THAT CAME OUT NEAR THEIR LAUNCH DATE AND CREATE DANK OC.

ON THE WEEK AFTER, WE WILL BE NOMINATING AND VOTING ON FRIDAY'S THREAD.

ALSO BIG THANKS TO THE user THAT COMPILED MOST OF THE NOMINEES INCLUDING THE FINAL SELECTION

AND BIG THANKS TO THE ANONS WHO LOOKED AFTER THE THREAD WHILE I WAS GONE

IN CASE IT IS NEEDED, HERE IS THE OP PASTA AND THE LIST OF PREVIOUSLY PLAYED GAMES

pastebin.com/j7p3k8Xp

IT COVERS VOTING WEEK OP AND NON-VOTING WEEK OP

Let me know if it looks alright.

Looks bretty gud, user. Cant wait for the discussion thread.

have you ever looked at your own posts

There were a number of changes in-between, like how we're going to be doing this on Fridays instead. Also, I posted the last 2 to recap everything for myself and for anyone new to the threat.

Unless you mean they look autistic. That, I already knew.

does anyone know a good high performance nes emulator? higan runs like shit on my computer.

posting so much redtext and caps lock just makes people want to kill themselves
an OP with a good picture and text that gets to the point will get more anons actually interested to the thread

also the current thread is bumplocked, so you won't need to redtext for attention (because anyone monitoring this thread are going to read every post anyways)

FCEUX
Not sure what core mednafen uses, but it's pretty resource-light last time I checked
Also try using the higan-performance executable instead of the -accuracy

I just wanted them to be easy to see. I tried being consistent with my style too. As for pictures, are you saying I should just avatarfag or pick some pictures relevant to the games at hand? Because if it's the latter I can see my recap/info posts getting lost among others

Make an infographic.

You mean with the same stuff as the pasta, right?

Yeah. It'll be nice to have in case we need to inform people in other threads about this one.

do what said and make a header image with the info
for the content of the OP, give the thread series a title in redtext and a short description. this description should be in normal fucking capitalization; nobody wants to scroll past huge walls of all caps redtext just because some fag wants to be recognized.

Alright user, but I'm warning you, I got shit skills.

the newest version of higan removed the performance and balance cores.

FCEUX works alright though, thanks m8.

i have to fill out a capatcha with every single damn post

If i had a computer, i could make a header image real easy. If no user does it i might be able to make somthing in a few days.

I'm working on the pasta and a temporary header image, but do feel free to submit your own if/when you can.

Okay new pasta link with non-caps format:

pastebin.com/Usx07G27

Check out pic related for some temporary template ideas.

I like that second one

Thanks fam. I put the 1st one up in case anyone wants to do anything else with that.

This is brilliant.

I just noticed I fucked up the pasta and the thread title reads: Friday's Triple Threat

instead of

Friday's Triple Treat.

Could someone edit that shit (pastebin.com/Usx07G27) out please cause' pastebin doesn't want me to touch it anymore for a while.

Also, edit to show the new link or let me know when the new link is up so I can just do it myself.

Fuck off parasite.

Long story short, Mr.Gibson wasn't happy when I called him a fuckwit when he was called out on all hill bullshit way back when.

So whenever I have a server up for any of their games it gets blacklisted the moment they find out who put it up. They're spiteful assholes.

Remember this?

Someone has an Uninvited cia for 3DS? I tried to do it myself but i keep getting errors everywhere.

So the discussion thead is on friday?

Do you mean for someone to take the paste in your post and edit the header on it to say "triple treat" instead of "triple threat?"

Additionally, why does the paste have a link at the top to another paste of the same information? Which, in turn, has a link at the top to yet another paste of the same information, and so on? OP, you know you can just use Notepad or something before you're happy with the wording and submit it to pastebin, right?

Also, the link in your paste which says it goes to the list of previous games just goes to another paste with the same information as I mentioned above.

How do you fuck up pastebin this intensely? Can you not just make a new paste, or an account so they don't think you're a spambot?

I fuck it that intensely because I never used it before and couldn't figure out how to link to the same pastebin link within the pastebin itself. Also can't be bothered to make a pastebin account.

Also, not the header, but in the two OPs it has, the titles are incorrect.

I made this one which I can edit to keep up to date if you really want me to, but you should just make your own account and keep track of it yourself since you need an account to edit pastes anyway. Plus, it would be a real pain to keep track of the correct pastebin URL otherwise.

pastebin.com/wWAmDss4

>pastebin.com/wWAmDss4
Editing the pictures now. Thanks mate.

Also I don't think I'll be the one to keep the pastebin in order because I'll be gone for 2 months with no internet starting next monday

Well, fuck, I guess I'll do it then.

Thanks mate.

Cool. I should probably make the new thread, then, huh?

Nah I'll make it Friday since I want to see this through for as long as I can. I will have to leave for a bit just like I did on Monday, though, so you can take over for that time. Besides you'll have plenty of chances to do it while I'm gone.