Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game

Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/
arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hell yeah, also wasn't this game canceled?

Surely it wasn't, if it was shown on this e3.

Also its great that it isn't done by bethesda this time around.

i'm pretty sure there was an infograph that told the whole story, anybody have it ?

I feel nobody cares because its first person horror. Don't think anybody would reply on your matter.

I recently played several fun Lovecraft board games, so I'm looking forward to the game

The world needs more Lovecraft

Could've done an RPG of some sort. Detective game maybe. First person doesn't do it for me.

Bethesda shitcanned the devs of the original devs when they didnt bend over like they did when People Can Fly did the same recently so they wouldnt be idSoftwared into submission
Dev died soon after due to wasting their time and money on Bethshit.

This game is completely unrelated, its being made by Cyanide Studio and published by Focus Home Interactive.

Frogwares was supposed to be developing it but they broke with the publisher for some reason.
Since Focus Home is an non jewish company Frogwares kept the assets and are making their own Lovecraftian game The Sinking City.

Heres some concept art for The Sinking City, Ill post CoC next

thanks m8.

can you give the names of those games, im interested.

What board games were they?

Heres NuCoC

I have the whole Bethshit post somewhere, cant seem to find it.

I recently bought H.P Lovecraft The Complete Fiction, as recommended by an user a while ago. So far I've read the beast in the cave, the tomb, dagon, polaris, beyond the wall of sleep, old bugs and the transition of juan romero. These stories are not really spooky so much as they are interesting. Wait, what the fuck is that by my window.

What, you don't want "MEDIOCRE FIRST PERSON HORROR GAME 2016"?

What the fuck is up with that subtitle?
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth didn't say some gay shit like that.

Obviously Lovecraft game should lack all gameplay. My cool hip friends told me all the characters in his books just look at the ugly monsters and go mad.

Eh, if they can make it fit I might be fine with that. DCOFE had guns as well.

Mate, I'd say most people here have played games like Cry of Fear. There's nothing wrong with first-person horror games.

*DCOTE

Well. Dark Corners of the Earth wasn't actually about Call of Cthulhu.

It was shadows over insmouth

Frogware aren't involved in this, they're making The Sunken City.

M8, language evolves daily. Don't be a little bitch and enjoy the poetic flow of his writings.

Boy, people bitch about Lovecraftian games not being X, but know nothing more than "There's this tentacle thing!!1"

Why do you keep posting images that have nothing to do with your posts?

That's enough to drive a man mad.

How about you read the fucking post next time?

I need an excuse to post Nyarkuo

Going to need a nice, fat citation on that. They've only ever been working on TSC and had it ORIGINALLY called CoC, but realised that was too generic in the market.

Post her in the waifu thread or 4AM thread, then.

You don't get it. Its an anime about lovecraft characters, shown as cute anime girls.

You filthy non-weebs won't understand.

hplovecraft.com/

Cthulhu shit (ebil dark gods sleeping etc.) is overdone in my opinion. What about, for example, the Dream Cycle? Why am I not killing moon pirates in the Cerenarian Sea, fighting off night-gaunts on the Ngranek, digging for ancient manuscripts in Sarkomand, petting a cat-lord of Ulthar and so on? Enough with spoopy octopi.

Whoever made that missed the entire point of Lovecraft.

It's not a Lovecraft story lad.

Wait, the entire point of Lovecraft wasn't cute Japanese cartoon girls? Thank goodness you were here to set me straight user, I learned something new tonight.

Even outside specific stuff like the Dreamworld, spoopy tentacle spookies are in diminishingly rare quantities.

This game is going to garbage, guaranteed. They are riding the well known name and slapping "Official" with dubious connection to a RPG book.

I started reading Lovecraft today. Is this a coincidence?

Arkham Horror (fantasy flight)
Elder Sign - this one is fun as fuck I played it with one friend and we had an utter blast literally winning the game on a single dice roll where the odds were stacked against us

A true saint.

Wew lad

The old ones are aware.

I might have read somewhere, to get to the dream lands physically from earth, it requires you to cross a void where a titanic spider has spun threads to connect them together in a giant nest.

Yes

You are a true gentlemen.

No, meme magic is real.

Then why the fuck is he posting in a thread about CoC?

That anime has propably more to do with the Chaosium CoC RPG than this game will have.

Because they're lovecraft characters………..

Because we are on an imageboard and because it's related to the topic at hand.
Don't insult the Don by posting his in such wasteful manner.

I've been thinking of watching it.
Should I watch the early shorts as well or only the proper episodes?

It's a mediocre character revolving harem anime. The Anime equivalent of fast food.

That doesn't really answer my question user.

if you want to watch some anime disturbing lovecraftian shit, watch Alien Nine or Narutaru

Nyarlko is mostly comedy anime

Its shit go back to >>>/a/ if you want to talk about flavour of the month shit or at least have the common decency to sage.

Where that sad screen cap of an user explaining where Dark Corners of the Earth went wrong?

I know it is.
I'm looking for some comedy anime right now.
I'll watch the one you recommended as well.

I'd still like to know whether to start with the shorts or not.

Why are you so rustled user?
The game'll probably be shit anyway.

they don't have anything to do with the regular anime. you can skip them if you don't feel like watching them

Watch crawling chaos first. Fall in love with Nyarko.

its going to be an amnesia clone. nothing more or less.

That's nice to know.
I assume they're not really worth it anyway?

>>>/a/

To be fair it's incredibly difficult to translate Lovecraft into a visual medium, mostly because the mostly agreed upon renditions of his monsters don't really look that scary.

Just look at Cthulhu, it's a big, green man with a beard of tentacles. Not really that scary all things considered. The horror of Cthulhu comes from what it represents, and what it can and will do whenever it wakes up.

I'd love for whoever did the space octopus design in Prometheus to have a crack at designing them, or that one dude that designed the monsters in Half Life.

If I had a billion bucks I'd basically make a Delta Green TV show.

user pls.
I defended it BECAUSE it is relevant to the topic at hand user.
I am not derailing bu instead I keep on persisting that it is relevant and I wonder why you are mad about this.
You should be mad about no sequel to the last Call of Cthulhu game and that this one will be trash.

Hm, I can't remember anything like that from Lovecraft's stories. In the Dream-Quest he descends the steps of slumber to the Cavern of Flame and then to the Enchanted Wood. There seems to be a way through the graveyards of this world to the place where ghouls live, deep under the Dreamlands.

Filtered :) >>>/a/
Yuri Yuro is trash as well, kill yourself you no taste weeaboo pleb Nips hate you the most

Its the same with 40K, its extremely hard to convey the sense of scale and outright destruction/power in most non imagination heavy mediums.

The writers at least use some of the more obscure characters and monsters, not like most things Lovecraft nowadays where it's just tentacles and Cthulhu all the time.

I'm not expecting too much from this game, until proven otherwise it's just a cashgrab and, again, reduces Lovecraft to tentacle shit and spooooooky Cthulhu.

Thank you based user

thread turned to shit

I don't know whether it is because Call of Cthulhu revealed too much of the monster or people basically turned Cthulhu into a meme, but I wasn't really all that impressed with that story. Which is a shame, because I loved a lot of Lovecraft's other works.

I certainly wouldn't recommend you to read Call of Cthulhu just yet. I'd probably recommend in order: "The Thing on the Doorstep", "Shadow over Innsmouth", "At the Mountains of Madness", then finally "Call of Cthulhu" in order to fully appreciate the universe Lovecraft has love-crafted and really get that grandiose feeling that he was trying give in CoC.

There was an edition of the physical complete collection that had typos due to some odd printer shit. They reissued it later with the typos corrected. Unless this is a digital copy. You can get all of lovecrafts works for free his stuff is technically public domain.

Everytime

arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/

Speaking of public domain hows Age of Conan?
Should I read the non comic works?
Hyborian setting always fascinated me with its mildly pre historic/medieval setting.

From what I just looked up, its called Atlach-Nacha from the story the Seven Geases. I personally don't know about it being valid as true canon however, as it was written by Clark Ashton Smith and collaborated with Lovecraft's input.

CoC worked best when you were exploring Innsmouth and kept stumbling over all the weird and scary shit, and the general air of tragedy, decay and rot in everything around you.

Lovecraft works best when his supernatural elements are rarely seen.

It's pulp. That being said, it's good pulp fiction, which is why it's so popular and has remained in the public consciousness all these years.

Conan is the kind of hero that doesn't win because he is the strongest, in most stories there is always someone stronger than him, he wins through his smarts.

Aye, thanks

"CoC worked best when you were exploring Innsmouth and kept stumbling over all the weird and scary shit, and the general air of tragedy, decay and rot in everything around you."

Sounds good. I tried GMing CoC in one of their Scenarios (or whatever you call them) and something just didn't feel right. The players spent two and a half sessions stumbling around looking for clues that wound up being nothing more than skill checks. Than again, they played really slow.

mgs YOU play as a snek XDR

CoC isn't his best one, that's for sure (The Whisperer in Darkness, anyone?), but it's solid.

I read the Seven Geases a while ago, and what I'm reading about Atlach-Nacha on Wikipedia isn't in that story. There's no dream-land, or end-of-the-world prophecy (it's funny as fuck though).

It's not supposed to fit in Lovecraft's world, CAS did his own thing (and was often better at it if you ask me).

It's a nice subversion of what is expected. Conan is a "barbarian", most of the time dressed in a leather pants and a sword.

Today's idea of a barbarian is something like Minsc, a dumb goof with silly dialogue that punches everything really hard. Conan is, instead, a smart hero, he can fight, but that's not how he wins and survives.

To be fair most Lovecraft RPGs are fairly lethal to the PCs in one way or another.

Why not try Delta Green? It's about an illegal conspiracy within the government that "recruits" its workers/agents to fight against Lovecraftian horrors. It tries to address the issue with CoC and shit where you get a constant stream of new people that somehow stumble upon Lovecraftian shit.

In DG, if you lose a PC, A-cell just sends a new one as replacement.

you

The CoC pens and paper is fun, but things divolve into fighting more often than it should with my group.
I guess we just like blowing things up?

I guess all that matters is that we're having fun and making memories, right?

the part where frog turned into a car killed me

There really isn't all that much to go on, but I hope it isn't something like Outlast or Amnesia. I'd like to see a nice healthy mix of puzzles, horror, and a decent combat system.

Not exclusive right? I can't stomach that.

So long as the game has a decent amount of characters, good gameplay and keeps a consistent atmosphere of creepy elements instead of relying on 'spoopy jumpscares XD' then it'll be fine.

But it looks like the god damn slendermin. Maybe I just don't know Lovecraft mythos well enough, but I don't remember any of this having anything to do with calling Cthulhu. This isn't 'Shadow of the Comet' or 'Dark Corners of the Earth' where Cthulhu was a present factor.

I'll have to give it a try later. By the way, nice trips.

Fuck man. Don't give me something interesting that will never ever happen

Isn't his work all public domain?

Le tentacles horror gaem xD

Doing a proper Lovecraft story takes effort. Effort the modern games industry isn't capable of.

It doesn't make it official.
Or what, if I make shitty flash game with kawai uguu chtulhu in it that would make it official too?

How can anything Lovecraft be "official" then? All of his shit is in the public domain, anyone and everyone can (and does) use it.

Maybe you should spend a second and check what the game is official of.

I know, just super saiyan, also, there was this tweet from some SJWs that said something about writing cosmic horror and being inclusive so "good" that they would make Lovecraft fade into obscurity or something.

I love how assmad they are Lovecraft and his ideas stay popular despite his "bad goy" status. Even cucked betas like Del Toro and Gaiman defend him and balked at the leftists removing his bust as the award.

Good luck with that.

Lovecraft stories that dont delve into his mythology or barely or scarecly hint its linked are usually the best of his works.

Personally my favourite are his short stories like the rats in the walls, Herbert West - Reanimator and the Terrible old man

And I guess you can also see why is it so hard to make a video game based on his works. Honestly, point-and-click adventure games and Western VNs would be better for this than a horror FPS. Lovecraftian horror is more about things that keep you awake at nights, not about jumpscare and hiding.

a pure survival horror could work, ala resident evil with less gunplay or a point and click like you said, something like Scratches. Then you can just pile on the dread and atmosphere without worrying about how to fit in blowing abominations away with shotguns

I think the initial part of CoC did it best. First person adventure/exploration game that does a good job of not showing anything too supernatural, just hinting that there is more going on than meets the eye.

Go to some Lovecraftian location, be it a spooky mansion, a creepy town, a remote location, and let the player explore and tie up all the puzzle pieces together.

By all means, don't make the character completely powerless (at least against mundane opponents), give him a weapon even, but make it clear that using it is the last resort.

He made so much more. I'd like a Tom Clancy's like franchise where they kind of shit on his legacy but hey other of his monsters and stories are used.

Found it

I leave the thread for 5 hours and Wronganon still hasn't reared his head. Sad times.

Reminder: start reading his works to abovr hipsterdom

A butthurt, subhuman spic upset about his literally irrelevance compared to Lovecraft's cyclopean shadow on all of modern fiction.

I'd have those people assasinated out of pure love. Not in a loud way, I'd just hire some nignog and make it look like it was just a random theft that turned into a murder. Then an other one dies in a random accident. Then a third one just disappear. The fourth one gets poisoned, but still nothing overly suspicious. You get it, slowly and quietly remove this cancer, one cell at a time.

Make it so.

But user, Hitler showed us the way. Round them up, round their families up, and to the showers they go!

The tomb was honestly a pretty happy story. Dude gets to be laid to rest in a tomb and has been accepted by his lineage to be worthy of, if not certainly an afterlife with them, to share a grave with them

I'd like to, but I don't have nearly enough money for that. Not to mention the total lack of connections.

No, in that case they will just go hiding, "breed" slowly (in their case it means brainwashing other people into their ideologies, as they aren't that good at making big families), then slowly come back over the decades. No, you have to slowly but surely ruin their success at reproduction. Remove the leaders, ridicule the followers, and make sure that normal people are constantly guard themselves against them.

Hitler never did such things, it's the jewish way you're encouraging, FBI-kun.