Might and Magic

I've been meaning to give this series a try for a while, but now there are quite a few games and I don't really know which are worth playing and which are forgettable. Also, what's the big draw to the series? What makes it better than your standard fantasy rpg?

Other urls found in this thread:

mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Forge_(town)
the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.Computing/might..magic.6.1/mm6.html
co8.org/community/index.php?threads/icewind-dale-toee-total-conversion.11868/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Play it and find out.

Most people agree that 4, 5, and 6 are the high point of the series, 7 and 8 are not bad but kind of just more of 6. 2 and 3 were good for their time but aren't really worth playing now unless you're really obsessed with the series or dungeon crawlers in general. The remainder aren't worth bothering with.
It's worth noting that 4 and 5, Clouds and Darkside of Xeen, combine to form World of Xeen. So I generally recommending playing 4+5 as the best of the older M&M format and 6 as the best of the new.

I don't know that I would say it's objectively better.
It's comfy hell, and one of the best-executed dungeon crawling/overworld wandering combo games. It's best for people who don't mind a game light on story and are more into character and party creation, exploration, removing enemies, and loot.

I was just messing around in 6 and liked the feel of it well enough, I suppose I'll go ahead and start with 4 and 5 like you suggest.

I don't mind that so long as the lore and world is good… are they good?

If you're already on 6 I'd finish that first, I really don't think it's that important to play them in chronological order.
But it's up to you.

I enjoy the setting and lore, it's an odd mix of fantasy cliches, classical mythology, and hints of science fiction. It's a bit goofy but works strangely well.

The lore is alright and is actually pretty interesting. Some parts of it you learn in heroes series, i.e. conflict betwheen Ronald and Archibald is the main plot of homm2.

That's right, I'd forgotten to mention that storywise MM6 follows HoMM 1 & 2 more than it does MM5

you can cast armageddon spell and kill everybody
you can have lich in your party
you can have dragon in your party (only MM8)

also 6-8 is my personal favorite, i could never get into 1-5

M&M 5/6/7/8

Dont touch earlier version and above M&M 9. 9 is a shit.

Thanks.

This video says it all.

Okay I am sold I want to play M&M starting from 6.

Is there a gog torrent somewhere?

Okay something really weird is going on. I can't find a single torrent of these games I remember GOG might and magic games were easily available with many seeds but searching now there isn't a damn thing.

Anyone know what is happening?

Check the share thread
Its there

I still play it often, there's hints of what it could have been to if you look in the console commands, references to other cities, an economic system etc.
Maybe one day someone at ubishit will pull their face out of the AC funded coke pile and remember the ip exists.

W-wow fucking godly

Hellraid could have been a decent spiritual successor, but that was canned for yet more zombie games. Now all we have is Vermintide for shield bashing and butt stroking rats off walls.

No way in hell. Ubisoft is so deep down the shitter I just want it to go bankrupt and release the IPs. Last time I even gave them a chance Uplay fucked up and didn't let us play the damn game we paid for.

Hey I made that!

They turn entire HoMM/M&M franchise in to p2w mobile/browser games.

M&M/HoMM is dead.

Does anybody even remember this?

How was it? it was shit wasn't it?

I played it. The game ran like dog. I don't know if they fixed it.

Also special DLC unlocks if you use origin which is another garbage mistake.

srsly

Yeah they wanted you to enter a code and it will give you some gear that scales with you right at the start of the game.

Wait, you're confusing Uplay with Origin, right?

I can't even find it on origin.

Please don't talk to me anymore.

It's got a website, user.

Scan it with MB yourself mayne

Imagine living in a world were you can check the PSN store without actually owning a playstation for a second

It was ok
IIRC it was released as early access and was absolute dogshit even when they fully released it because of how unoptimized it was but I went back and played it and enjoyed it. Its a better paced than most of the other M&M games.

Well you did a good job considering it was the video that got me to finally sit down and play the game.

Anyone mind typing out a good party build for a first run through of VI?
Also, if anyone has any tips for starting off I'd appreciate it

the default party
you dont need to do anything

The starting party works.
The builds and classes stop mattering a third of the way in. As for tips
>Get Blaster Rifles for everyone

How shit is X? I heard it is one of the few Ubisoft games that are not shit

requires UPlay

Not that shit
Its poorly optimized so I recommend you pirate it.

ok im done

It has one of my favorite soundtracks in any video game.

it was almost unplayable at release
crashed constantly and the best part was that it sometimes crashed when saving resolving in corrupt savefile that could put you back several hours of gameplay
i heard that later patches fixed it mostly but (as far as i know) you cant pirate the latest patched version and fuck buying Ubisoft games on steam in order to install uplay on your system

other that that it was ok game
i prefer the free roaming gameplay of 6-8 but this was ok

the soundtrack of those games is what makes them comfy heaven

This is why i p-lay the shitty russian HD mod
It doesnt replace the sprites with shit, it doesnt cut out features and it doesnt cost anything

Fuck ubisoft

I thought the starting party had a paladin at the front, not a knight. I haven't played in a long time, so I don't recall.

Either way, knight a shit.

For a new player, I'd always recommend having at least one sorcerer and at least one cleric, then choosing the other two classes on preference. You can't really go wrong with paladin, archer, sorc, cleric, though.

Mini class guide
Choice of weapons and armor and a stack of hit points. Too bad you're only going to choose one armor and weapon and can't actually tank for anyone.
Mainly a melee guy who can take some healing duties off the cleric (or revive a KO'd one)
Kind of a misnomer, fast, offensive melee/magic powerhouse. Can take some elemental skills off the sorc's hands. Not quite on par with the paladin defensively.
Shittiest melee weapons in the game, low hp but fairly tanky anyway with good armor and a shield. Main job for most of the game is to buff and heal the party and wish he was good at combat. Turns into a murder machine with dark magic in the latter half.
All elemental and spiritual magic available, but don't spread too thin - best serves as a backup healer plus offensive mage to take a spell school or two off the sorc. Basically a less might and more magic alternative to taking an archer or paladin. Can still dish out more melee damage than a cleric though, but will get squished a lot.
Good for destroying crowds, flying, teleporting, enchanting weapons. Only class besides the cleric that can get light and dark magic. Don't leave home without one.

Fuck yeah.
I love the character creation music.

Might as well mention that this game is pretty good as well art style aside.

I'm playing 3 right now, it's a nice game but the interface is not good. The biggest problem is that there is no info about items and spells, in order to know whether a lapis plate mail is better than an emerald chain mail I have to look up two tables in the manual or pay a store owner to tell me the stats. In order to know what a spell does I have to look it up in the manual. If it wasn't for the interface I could beat the game in like half the time or so. There is also no way of putting notes on the automap, but at least there is an automap. Yet there is something special about this game, it feels very polished and nice, much more so than other RPGs of that time.

dumped many, many points in Bow, Merchant, Mind, Earth. And only 4 points in Dark?

I love this so much.

I appreciate all the help. All my characters now have the "bow" and "repair" skill. Looking for merchant now.

What is the HoMM3 of the Might and Magic games?

Obligatory AH HA

It's close to mechnically perfect, while being dogshit in the performance and content regard. I can appreciate potential in games that are otherwise pretty meh, though, so I really enjoyed it. It's the Temple of Elemental Evil of the Might & Magic series. In a just world, they would have been given enough money and time to use the same mechanics to create a 6 or 7 sized world, but the Might & Magic series is now well and truly dead. Heroes 7 sealed the deal, Ubisoft will bury it, and there will never be another Might & Magic RPG.

Temple+ is adding in pretty much fucking everything in 3.5 that wasn't already in the game, and Icewind Dale is currently being ported to ToEE, fixing the one problem it had, that trash RTWP combat. Don't shit on ToEE by lumping it in with MMX.

Also, heroes 4 sealed the deal. The HoMM IP was only a trilogy that ended with 3.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about.

M&M X was a troubled game with a troubled development, but it is completely unlike anything else Ubisoft ever made. It has grid-based exploration, turn-based combat, and most of the 6-8 skill system (non-combat stuff being mostly jettisoned). You can criticize its content and terrible performance all day, but the mechanics are solid, maybe even better than 1-5 in some ways.

Of course, some people seem to hate it because they never played 1-5, but that's a different story…

Underage pls go

My guess is I'm older than you. Still proving my point, though.

I mean if you have actual criticisms of the gameplay mechanics, please, voice them, but as it stands you just sound like a memespouting fuck.

So you have shit taste then, glad we've settled that.

So what's the deal with Temple+? Is it a source port or just an elaborate mod? I would like to see a proper port because last time I tried I wasn't able to get Temple+ running in Wine.

Link? Does that mean making a converter to import assets from the original or a remake by hand? If it's the latter it is doomed from the start, it's too large of an endeavour for such a game.

bump

I know that the demons are a type of alien but still…

And why was the missing piece of the machine a Plumbob?

Well, your channel is shit. Making half of a million views on LoL videos about a nigger having a big dick is degenerate as fuck. Gas yourself.

This game is pretty tough. I'm at level four now and my party is two knights and 1 cleric and 1 sorc.

Just one thing is puzzling how am I supposed to be playing the game? I have my 1 hand on the mouse and the other on the arrow keys but that way I cannot access jump or quickcast spell.

Is there an optimal hand layout?

Buy a bow skill and an actual bow for each character in your party and attack enemies at a distance.

It has been giving me the perfect amount of challenge.

You don't need to jump and quick casting is not that useful.
You can also navigate using just the keyboard and then start using the mouse when you initiate combat.
Also you can blow through the turns of your characters by alternating A and S. This can be useful when dealing with numerous enemies.

hold down the right mouse button to freeze the action. Then you can do everything comfortably and don't need the quickspell that much. Hold right mouse, press C, choose spell, fire at enemy, repeat. Pretty good for hit and run tactics.
The regular jump isn't useful as far as I recall.

You could have played it as a kid with the english instead of the german version and have trouble to even understand what's going on making you focus more on the:

Open world aspect.
It's quite open world, especially in comparison to other games I played around that time, making it stand out quite a lot.
I especially liked to visit Sandro, because he was a hero/villain in Homm3.

Glitches.
It was extremely fun in Might and Magic 8 to cross over open water and go to places you weren't supposed to. I tested myself daily with new characters and doing random stuff.

Challenges.
Might and Magic 8 was indredibly fun for 8 year old me. I loved to do solo runs, even back then. Just my own character. Fuck the party.
It was so fun.

After watching some walkthroughs on youtube years later, you really kinda get a totally different feel for that game. It's really fun if you play it as an openworld rpg as a little kid.
You will probably have less fun with it, then I have.

Also did I mention that I have a childhood boner for the real life art style of older games? Before they went fully CGI/3D, they actually used real portraits/photorealistic portraits of people. Which is extremely cool.
Some of the art was pretty amazing and immersive.

OH! One more thing. The games also got a bonus from childhood me, because they sometimes included the models of the units you saw in the strategy game, in the roleplaying game. IIRC Might and Magic 7 did it heavily.

I thought you only browsed 4chan

Who here bought the HOMM3 HD for Steam?
and who here didnt regret it?

get yourself the latest unofficial patch (loc patch 1.11.2), turn on mouse look, rebind movement to wsad and Q,E for attack and quick spell

Fucking awesome dude. Does playing with the patch ruin anything that I would have experienced normally in the game? I wouldn't know as this is my first playthrough.

I am seriously considering re-rolling to replace my two knights with hybrids like archer and pally.

not as far as i know
it just fixes some bugs and adds some additional features like mouselook

Is that kinda stuff easy to get? Do ranged weapons need ammo?

Blaster weapons are given to you in 6-7 by a point in the game that the game is already pretty much over. It's basically an extended epilogue at that point.

blasters are end game loot and you can't get it till you reach certain late game main quest

also no ranged weapon needs ammo

I love this.

too bad we never got Heroes 3 expansion that considers MM7 bad ending cannon (see )

mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Forge_(town)

being a M&M fan is suffering.

Details?

Wait okay so there is a skill that makes you learn better making you level faster? This sounds like something I'd need.

I have remade my party to all use bows at the start and they are all level 3 from delivering the letter where can I go to get this learning skill?

Watch the vid related and then play it already.

Part of next game should be in Crogan dimension.

Levelling is limited by the gold you have, not the experience.

That town is SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

You don't need mouse lock though.

you dont but with the mouse look its much more convenient to control

pic related

It was never a problem for me as a small kiddie.

All right so there is someone called a factor who will take 5% of my gold but increase the gold I find by factor of 5?

Does this mean he is worth it? What are the good hirelings for beginners? I currently have none.

master of wind - can cast fly spell once a day that lasts 2 in game hours (great at start when you dont have the skill to cast fly spell, speeds up traveling around map)
master of gates - can cast town gate once a day (spell that teleports you to a town of your choosing)
these fuckers take each 20% of your income but they are worth it
also after reloading the hirelings change sou you can constantly reload till you get desired hireling

also beware of pic related

Cheers man. I picked up this girl that can portal by bunnyhopping to evade attacks (no level scaling on this game lol) and exploring. I feel very frustrated whenever I pick up coins with this girl though.

Now I just need to get some gold and gear still using basic crap…

for ultimate guide check out this site:
the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.Computing/might..magic.6.1/mm6.html

also if you want to go full jew on the game sell everything at the starting town couse the rip you off the least (this applies for MM6-8)
also if you are like expert merchant 6, buy stuffs from store, enchant them (enchant item is water magic spell) and sell them back
and hireling take fut only out of gold in chests and on the ground, the dont get cut from selling items at store

*take cut only…

I don't want too much just some vague tips. I feel I am going well now.

What's the deal do I need at least 1 in trader skill to get benefit from this trader?

personally I found it a blessing too, especially when targeting little shits at your feet and when flying.

I think it would feel weird though.

I have so many memories of those games without mouse lock.

so do I, but it's still a straight upgrade. With it I found it super smooth, moreso than say Gothic or Daggerfall.

I will probably try it, if I decide to touch those games again.

I just need to close my eyes and I have the lizard island from M&M 8 right before my eyes again.

I wish you could play as a lizard. I always imagined as a little kid what it would be like to be the chosen lizard hero of the island. And have them adore you and during night time the entire tribe gathers to cuddle together deep inside the main pyramid.

Also clearing out the first pyramid, I always saw as giving the lizardman their high-culture back. The pyramids are obviously aztec/mayan styled, while they live in rather poor conditions.

Oh well.

Oh, believe me I did that, friendo.
I hated going into that pyramid.

I loved to abuse the game mechanics and explore the seas and visit the different islands.
That was fun.

I remember one was the earth (do I remember that right?) portal and I went to an area I really wasn't supposed to.

volcano with library, portal to earth plane and obelisk

Oh yeah, I did that. I am not sure if I just drank a ton of health potions or did a different trick.

Some guy found editor tools for the game that are even more powerful than the hack job the glorious bastards managed to do with Co8 the past decade, so now he can do pretty much anything he wants to the game. Adding in prestige classes currently, which used to be impossible.

co8.org/community/index.php?threads/icewind-dale-toee-total-conversion.11868/
These are the autists on Co8, I know they will finish it.

bump

So it is just a mod after all, not an engine replacement. Better than nothing I guess, but it still won't run in Wine.

We'll see, but the OP was from May this year, so it will be a long time until we see anything.

öne lust bump

Playing MM7 and started the Light route. Feels like a huge difficulty spike.

I DO CRACK! RAAWWR!

get that nigga drunk or insane

invisibility spell is your friend

Won't I miss a lot of experience then?

Last I checked he was also editing the executable to fix some UI stuff and render issues, so it's more than most mods

Basically as close as a total rebuild as you'll get

Yes he did.

I could take that alone and screw all the new content, it's the single greatest improvement to the game and ui navigation I've seen in its entire lifespan.

tbh user, I just dont see how half naga tanks could ever get defeated by swordsmen

Its just that Scifi generally trumps fantasy unless godlike entities are present
That or ghosts, Ghosts are anathema to science unless you have ghost busters

Still. did they add a different castle instead? Like i mean did we get the conflux as a castle as a replacement or did we miss an entire castle by itself?

Or magic.

I think conflux was the replacement yes and 5,500 Power liches will beat just about anything

5500 Azure Dragons

Okay…. I am gonna reroll just one last time MM6.

I read about the game mechanics and saw how I messed up my starting party (and how it doesn't really matter after a certain point)

I am thinking of having two sorcs 1 cleric and 1 archer for my party. Is this optimal for someones first playthrough?

What is the best character to be slot 1 as the party leader? I was thinking Archer or Sorc.

Level 9999 Tazar and 1 azure dragon

6 and 7 are the best tho some claim that 5 is also a candidate

The problem here was that while M&M from the beginning was a sci-fi setting dressed up as fantasy, HoMM was entirely fantasy with no or little mention of ancients, their tech, Sheltem and so on. So The Forge was LITERALLY out of the blue.

Soon™

get some tank (knight) or you will get slaughtered

Also worth mentioning in Might & Magic many "magical" things are just country bumpkins not understanding science. For example, all the worlds you play on in Might & Magic RPGs are artificial, flat planetoids created by the ancients. The demons being an alien race, etc. The Heroes fans apparently didn't like this, but it was that way from the very beginning, before the Heroes series even existed.

Am I a bad person for not wanting to play a good game?

The whole RPG system appeals to me though
I might consider it when i have more free time

Some [CURRENT YEAR] indie games have worse graphic.

I am starting MM6 right now the gameplay is 10/10 just amazing you can do whatever you want I'm constantly finding new things.

Right now I am being an "Attack helicopter" I have one Mage cast fly and my Archer and Cleric shoot arrows and my Mage uses meteor storm then when they are low on mana I go "refuel" at the temple.

I'm having quite a bit of satisfaction from this because I got killed by the very first pack of goblins at the start of the game.

Also the graphics are pretty good the character paper dolls and portraits are top quality. They really don't make them with this kind of craftsmanship any more. Look what happened when those Germans purchased the rights for Jagged Alliance and tried to make 3d portraits it looked like dog.

also when you enter turn base combat you can still fly up and down to avoid enemies projectiles

I've been circle strafing that seems much easier.

I just need to clear up some maps for XP or find some easy quests I'm only level 6 so far.

you have access to Grand Master Light and Body magic. How the fuck aren't you cutting everything to ribbons? Everything without Dispel of course.

I think you're an agreeable fellow.

I finally feel like I am getting somewhere with this game.

I gave all the horseshoes to my water mage and I can finally give this Gatemaster henchman the boot, Water master at level 11 not bad…

What should I have for henchmen now?

Stats really don't matter very much in 6-8. You reach a softcap with their effectiveness in the mid game, and everyone will reach that soft cap without much effort.

M&M much better then moded Skyrim

yeah pretty much after your stat is above 50-75 diminishing returns starts to kick in
pic related

I play solo as a challenge though, not because it's easier.

Not to mention some stats just don't do much at all in the 6-8 game systems. Speed primarily. Oh boy I shaved a few recovery points off my melee swings that don't do fucking dick!

It is my first play through…

I like having a party so far more castings of aoe things is great.

Had a good laugh clearing out Bootleg Bay pretty cool half cannibalised female adventurers. Old games used to have super gory sprites that are more disturbing than modern 3d games.

It makes me wonder if someone did a high resolution game with sprites would it look as good.

Followed the adivce of getting Light Magic and holy fuck, that shit is strong. Instantly got it to grandmaster. Clerics, fuck yeah.

Also got my first blaster, and holy fuck that rate of fire.

use haste and equip a Swift weapon in the off hand. It's pretty funny.

You've pretty much won fights automatically once you're far enough for a blaster.

Also, how to bypass the 3rd tier of Gargoyle monsters' defenses? I can't fucking kill them with cleric/monk. Behemoths too.

Alright at lvl 20 now on mm6 and still not very strong. Does melee ever get useful?

My spells seem to be the way to go playing the game so far. Shrapmetal is like some kind of shotgun at close range and seems to be the way to go for taking out single targets.

What is good to use vs multiple targets indoors?

melee is stronk when you have the buffs to back it up. Teach your cleric/sorceror the light magic buffs and watch heads roll.

Why are the Arena monsters so random? At knight, one time I have titans and other higher level shit and the other time I just got medusas and dwarven commadners.

I'd go ahead and start on 6 since that's the most enjoyable and allows you a good bit of customization to do in your party layout as well. Playing 6 also has some really nice voice acting which adds flavor to dialogue, interactions, and combat grunts/banter. It's really good and the world/art style is really good too.

At least once, save your game and get everyone in your party drunk at an inn, it's really hilarious.

After playing 6, you'll be prepared for the gameplay and continuation of the story that goes on in Might & Magic 7, though playing Heroes of Might & Magic 2 will help you understand the back story a bit more since the three games are set in the same timeline, with Heroes of Might & Magic 2 coming first, then M&M 6, then M&M 7.

At some point I'd give M&M 4, M&M 5, and whatever other Xeen games there are a try too, but being based on a grid and fully in turn based mode (and some archaic looking presentation) may take some getting used to, and may not be as fun as what Might & Magic 6 onwards offer.

For an unusual but deadly party combination, try

Knight, Knight, Paladin, Sorcerer

Early game healing will be a bit tough to come by, but you can heal at temples without spending too much money if you get the hang of things, and spells later on will make healing a much smoother process. In exchange, all kinds of offense and one offensive spellcaster doing all sorts of cool stuff.

Dogs are pretty decent runners

You can tank using a high level Spirit Magic spell later in the game, which is actually the best healing spell you can get besides the one which has bad side effects and costs way more mana (and takes forever to get). So all you really need is one Paladin or one Cleric and then having a Knight or two helps to tank and add dual wielding damage dishing.

One other thing to remember with the more melee combat focused characters, is that dual wielding is king. Early on for the first few areas of the game using shields and two handed weapons aren't too bad, cus you don't really have the skill level and money to deck yourself out with much equipment yet. And to dual wield a sword you need Master rank in the skill, compared to just Expert with a Dagger. But once you get your fighters up to Master level in swords, then you can dual wield a sword in the off hand, then wield something else like a spear or an axe in the other hand for distributing the best equipment you have around (and getting the most out of multiple weapon skills). The AC bonus from shields later on doesn't matter much cus you want those characters to tank anyway and they'll still have a lot more AC than your main spellcasters, and unlike a similar game in Wizardry 8 you can't use formations to have your fighters in the front and take more hits than your spellcasters. There's also the fact that using two magical weapons (or even decent quality weapons) heavily beats out the little extra damage bonus from using a weapon two handed, like with spears/polearms and such. Using those weapons in one hand and having another weapon in the offhand is always better, so by the mid game it's not likely you'll be using shields or two handers at all, and Sorcerers can even dual wield daggers which isn't too bad.

Focusing on offense and buffs is generally good, unless most or all of your party are spellcasters. Killing enemies faster is always the way to go so mobs of monsters don't get as many free attacks in.

One other small little thing. It may not be immediately clear unless you read a guide or the game's manual, but you can enter turn based mode by hitting the enter key. In some dungeons and situations this will be good, as you can target fire better to take down enemies or take the time to cast the spells you want. It can also be good if using ranged attacks to shoot at enemies while they're not moving, since in real time mode they tend to move diagonally and avoid a number of your arrows unless you time it just right. Depends on the situation and whether you're using hit & run tactics or not.

also vampiric enchantment on all your weapons basically breaks the game

Mana regeneration items (outside of weapon enchantments) are arguably the most helpful for the dungeon crawling areas too. Spellcasters will really want those. Health regeneration can help out too, especially if a character gets knocked unconscious it'll help wake them up (especially useful if your healer gets knocked out before you get the ability to travel fast with spells).

I have three mana regeneration items on my mage on mm6 and can barely notice any regen even when I rest for an hour.

i think they regenerate like 1 point of mana per 5 ingame minutes

I know it's a completly different genre, but I loved Dark Messiah.

It's mainly useful for dungeon crawling in the early and midgame. Later on you'll have more convenient ways of getting mana and health back very quickly if you plan right. Passively it will help though to have those extra bits of mana crawl back, more recommended for someone flinging offensive spells around since they need the influx of mana the most to deal their damage.

Since sometimes getting out of a dungeon could take a long time to do (and get back to an inn or temple for healing), that's one reason the small bits of regeneration help even if it doesn't seem all that noticeable at first. An extra fire bolt here, an extra torch light there, just little bits of help to make sure you don't run dry of mana. It's helpful to have those little bits of mana when you need them, cus needing to recast a spell like Wizard's Eye or Torch Light in a dungeon without being able to get mana back is a pretty big deal, and mana potions in M&M 6 are very weak and better used for mixing into more advanced potions for other stuff.

DM is a M&M spin-off. Atleast DM have a good fighting even without Drop-Kick.

I have just been using keeping a slot free for beacon so if I am low in a dungeon I'll mark and recall to the super cheap temple of Baa.

Is there any negative effect from using temple of Baa healing? I mean only 2g and that ominous laughing when you leave…

the only negative effect from temples I'm aware of is the Pit temple in 7 when you resurrect a dead party member

That and negative reputation from donations

The super cheap healing from a Temple of Baa will set your reputation to the level you start out with at the beginning of the game (average I think). It could affect your fame too, you'll want to save and check your reputation and fame after using their healing. Fame and reputation will come into play later in the game so it does have an effect to use the Temple of Baa.

An easier way of doing things in M&M 6 is to just cast Town Portal to New Sorpigal, which by the time you can cast Town Portal at Master level, is still incredibly cheap healing and donating there can help your reputation out too if you need it. Mainly though, it's also saving your beacon slots for more important locations, as Town Portal is a much better use for getting healing done. Even if not at master level yet, save beacons for locations in dungeons or Castles you can't easily get to or use Town Portal to get to, then you can always use Town Portal to get yourself to the closest temple for healing if you actually need it.

Whatever the case, never use the Temple of Baa healing, as there is a downside and a few measly gold pieces extra for healing in New Sorpigal is more worth it Also never donate to Temple of Baa as it won't help your reputation.

bump

Currently up to two blasters, and using it with hate / hour of power is insane. The land of the Titans is scary as fuck, bless invisibility.

Do you have more of these BIG M&M images? Always loved this one so thanks for posting this one.

wow what a stupid game
you just kick everything and you win?

Its just a WebM. You cant kick most enemy's after Spider temple.

But when a humanoid enemy shows up a very convenient spiked wall is nearby

Or a pit or long drop to kick them off
Regardless, i think the ice spell is even more lethal
Didnt some guy time it right so every humanoid enemy in the game died by slipping on ice? (apart from a few like the boss)
Still most of the time throwing shit is more effective than kicking, Telekinesis will kill literally anything as long as you have a big enough projectile
Fire pretty much one shots most early game enemies and Sanctuary is invulnerability, which combined with staff of manasteal and full mana regeneration makes your character unkillable apart from flying enemies (that dont melee)
Still supposedly on the higher difficulties the enemy is harder to kick and its not like the enemies cant kick back

Pretty much.

it's hard to call any of them forgettable. Each of the first 6 or 7 is ambitious as hell for the time, and while I haven't played 7 and up I can at least provide some recommendation for the earlier entries
1 through 5 have an interconnected metaplot regarding what will ultimately become the villain of 5 (and if you play through 1 you'd recognize the name in 5's intro)

1 itself is bland and kind of clunky even by standards of the genre, but it is HUGE in scope. I suppose if you can't bring yourself to play through it, you should at least read Thuryl's LP of it on LParchive so you can get the story

2 is insane and possibly the most ambitious, even involving time travel. And it demands skills of the player. There are sidequests that are started when you go into a dungeon, find a part of a message, manually write it down on a piece of paper, and find more parts in other dungeons. That's to START the quest.

3 represents a gameplay shift that has the monsters exist in real gamespace instead of an encounter screen. You can snipe them from afar or let them home in on you. The plot revolves around an actual choice between giving a number of mcguffins to a good king, an evil king, or a neutral king. And you can give them on at a time so you can balance the whole game down to the last mcguffin.
the premade heroes will appear again in a later title as supporting cast

4 and 5 are best played together, installed to the same directory. This fucking bridges the games and is awesome; you can take your party from 4 over to 5's half at any time and fuck off back to 4 whenever you like.

6 advances the gameplay to optional realtime full FPS style movement. you can take out legions of enemies from afar while they all mill about, or get grim and gritty with the hacking and slashing
tons of NPCs and, IIRC you can hire anyone to join you as a support

huge worlds that aren't shit, massive metaplot, a clever and unexpected tweest in world design that applies to all games except possibly 10 (no I won't tell you, play one instead. The dawning realization is too priceless to spoil), and it served as an early bridge between western and eastern RPG party design

Do Adrenaline Strikes by the boy of frost freeze enemies permanently?

*Bow of frost

Just don't touch MMX, Ubisoft fucked that game big time. It makes MM9 look good.

Do you like to skull fuck enemies that used to kick your ass, but now you're unto a god next to them? Enemies don't respawn at all.

Do you like exploring and discovering new little things that you missed previously, like a fountain on a tiny island that gives a permanent stat boost, and in general having freedom? Tough shit, you can't do any of that. See that big ocean over there? You can't go there. What's that? Water walk? Nah, that's a retarded "buff" and even then you can only go where the devs want you to go.

Did you like figuring out the somewhat cryptic riddle from the obelisk that made players at least think for a fucking second? Don't worry buddy, we made a step by step instruction on how to get the treasure so you don't have to use any brain cells. Except we are so retarded we managed to fuck up even the simplest instructions because we're Ubisoft and we drink wood glue.

Do you like having a fast amount of spells to throw at enemies? Well, we thinned the spell selection, so now you have less of them, and they're less interesting.

Do you like completing all the quest you find? What a shame, we made some quests impossible to complete because you don't have the right class for it, even if you actually do kill everything that's needed. Don't worry about that haunted house filled with murdering ghosts, eventually a paladin will show up and clear that. Until then we'll sit on our thumbs.

Do you like being able to pick and choose which race/class each character is, like a goblin sorcerer? Cool, because classes are tied to their race. What's that? You want a dwarf paladin? Don't be silly, that would actually give players what they want.

Did you like how the characters made a quip when entering a dungeon for the first time, but it wasn't bothersome by constantly being repeated, and got excited when they identified a valuable item? Awesome, we made ours talk constantly if enemies spot them, making the same joke over and over and over again. Great, right?

Did you accidentally aggro a monster that can kill you in two hits? In our game they will always follow. Forever. Oh, and don't try to teleport to another town, because that will cause a game breaking bug where you can't rest or enter a town again because the game thinks you still have a monster after you.

Speaking of bugs, do you like them? No? WELL FUCK YOU, OUR GAME IS BATHED IN THEM! "Fix" our game? What do you mean "fix"? Oh, you mean "make a DLC and then give up on the game entirely a few months later"? Sure thing, buddy!

I could go on, but no, I can't do it anymore. They already broke me once with Ultima 9, and now with Might and Magic.

one last bump

You didnt know? Ubi$ dont even make this game - they hire another developer for make this shit because Ubijew to busy making browser p2p HoMM game.

It wasn't worse than MM9, you're just letting the anger get to you.

Actually, it wasn't as terrible as you make it out to be. I still prefer 6/7, but I enjoyed 10 enough to beat it one complete time and halfway through a second.

I do wish the community would have finished the MMX they were planning on making themselves. I don't go to the boards anymore, but last I checked the lazy fag(s) making it barely had the weapon art done, let alone even a single dungeon.

How did they break you with the best game in the series?

I wanted to beat MMX but I couldn't, anytime I went to the mountains my computer would suddenly drop to about 5 FPS, so I gave up on that prospect. Didn't enjoy the overall story of it either, but I would be lying to myself if said I was surprised about it. After all, after Ubisoft grabbed the license they decided to give their own spin on the overall story, and personally I don't like it. Just more fantasy kitsch about dragons and shit.

I dunno about that, I enjoyed 9 a whole lot more than X personally, but that's like saying I enjoy a brick to the face more than a brick to the junk. Still, each to its own.

bump