Battlefleet Gothic Armada

Is this game worth buying?

I'm a pretty big 40k fan, but I have little experience with naval videogames. Reviews on steam seem to be fairly mixed.

See >>9747299

It depends, if you are a fan of the Warhammer universe, like Space Ships, and fucking want to purge the Heresy, get it. It also has a good story that's pretty lengthily.

It's not worth it right now. The multiplayer balance is tremendously fucked and Eldar are basically God Mode, and this unbalance creeps into the singleplayer campaign since there are randomly generated missions to keep the Gothic sector under control, and some will feature you vs. unkillable, uncatchable and invulnerable space elves

It definitely is. One of the best fleet simulators out there, plus very good WH40k feel (watch the trailers and you'll know what I mean)

Maybe you're just shit, because in SP campaign, I demolished the Eldar every time.

Are you sure about that? I just saw the latest patch notes and the Eldar didn't seem to recieve anything that looked like a massive nerf. I've heard your type of comment before though.

What's the maximum number of ships I could field?

You had a point limit, with bigger ships costing more. So, if you fielded the biggest ships you could, often as few as three. If you decided to field the smallest, I think at least a dozen, if not more.

I'll probably buy it after work tonight. Sounds fun.

How viable, and which faction is best suited to, a dozen low cost ships? I want fast raiding swarms that basically control like dog-fighters.

Fast raiders sound like Eldar. They need to pretty much constantly zoom across the map at max speed

Maybe you should consult the 3 other threads already in the catalog?

Even in Assassination or Data Recovery? Because you literally can't catch them, full stop. Even if you Taunt them - oh wait, they patched that ability out of the fucking game - they'll rarely hold still long enough for you to actually ram them. Their holoshields make them dodge 80 fucking percent of your shots. But they won't be needing that - that'll just boost out of your range, do an instant 180, fire pulsars and torpedoes, then do it again and again.

The latest patch nerfed Pulsar damage *but increased weapon speed), messed with a couple cooldowns, eliminated the Taunt ability and some other shit. It's a disaster right now and virtually the entire community is divided on the issue - Eldar players saying they're fair and balanced, everyone else saying they're not.

Eldar were already enough bullshit and now we can't use the one thing that allowed them to be rammed?
Did they nerf Chaos again?

It's fairly meh
The single player will keep you occupied for a playthrough, but the way they structured the multiplayer is retarded

They brought in the "grind for points to buy new ships" system from FtP games, and it doesn't translate well
Especially since you can soup up a few ships with equipment, but in game they don't cost extra points to field over the standard ship model

Just purchased this. Fucking amazing, even controlling one or two ships is crazy fun.

I recommend this to anyone that was previously on the fence.

Have they fixed the long as fuck loading screen bug when starting the game?

W8 they removed taunt ?
What the fuck am I supposed to do as an orc ? I can't even catch up to imperium ships, let alone eldar.

Nigga, my ships weren't even built for fighting eldar and I demolished them every time.
Their AI is shit and focusing on their engines cripples them

Vs AI it seems ok, but all AI is by default retarded.
Vs a good player you end up running around the map since he comes, hits for 2 seconds and fucks off with that skill that lets them turn to face the direction they came from.
Taunt somewhat mitigated that before.

i pretty much refunded because of that. waited half an hour and was still loading. aint nobody got time for that shit

It's not bad but could be better. They tried to directly translate the rules of a turn-based tabletop game into a real-time tactics game. They did a pretty good job of it, but honestly I got the feeling that it would work better as a turn-based game. If you like WH40k I'd recommend it, especially if its on sale.

Anyone?

Loading doesn't take too long for me.

I've got two gameplay questions though:
and

how come none of you lazy nerds are making webms?

I've never bothered with the multiplayer.

The campaign was nice though it started getting tedius near the end, you can only do the same 3 skirmish missions so many times. The system in place for losing worlds doesn't carry much weight and by the end you'll very likely have more deployments than actual threats to deal with. Which is a shame because early on when you were dealing with more threats than you could actually address per turn added some gravity to your decisions.

Fuck me if it isn't disappointing that every race did not get their own campaign.

Bump for spesh mareens

Are the Spess Mehreens bad or do I just need to git gud?

Tried a cruiser clash against hard chaos and absolutely steamrolled. Their ships are no good at range, but they are too vulnerable up close.

Considering how much shit has been produced with the license, this game is pretty damn good by comparison, and a decent game overall

Well at least I still have my Traktor Beams

I bet you cant catch up to the Eldar as well git gud

Traktor beams and slam them into each other. Their paper armour doesn't like that.

Two words for you user

"Boarding Torpedos"

Marines are all about the boarding actions, homeboy. Send those Thunderhawks, wreck all their internal shit, smash them with boarding torpedoes, and only close in to finish the job when they've got multiple fires and half their weapons are fucked. If you get the Terminator upgrade for your Lightning Strikes, try using it first, it debuffs their troop value so further boarding actions have a higher chance to succeed.

Considering Space Marines are broken, yeah, you need to git gud.
Just board all the time forever and you can't really lose.

Boost + mini warp jump + boarders with focus on engines + lightning strikes + nova cannons + the occassional barrage when they get too close.

just learn other tactics than just ramming, and you'll be fine. Assassination only needs you to take out one shit, which is easy with the above mentioned, and for data recovery, THEY need to get to YOU after you grab it for the first time, AND they need to lower your shields, while they don't have any.