Whats the point of religion if we know that a god does not exist?

Whats the point of religion if we know that a god does not exist?
Explain, christian and islamic gommies

There would be literally no point in faith if you didn't have doubts.

Almost like faith is a bad way to arrive at conclusions.

But seriously, we don't know god doesn't exist, that would be impossible to prove. We can only say that there is no evidence that god exists.

But thinking that something based on faith can just be disproved by saying "there's no evidence" is completely missing the point. I'm not religious at all but new atheist scientism can fuck right off.

deepak chopra confirmed

But really now. Occam's razor can't disprove anything as I just said but it does suggest there's no reason to believe in god. Faith has no predictive power whatsoever.

I'm not sure how you could know (in a strict sense) that God doesn't exist, but there are such things as atheistic religions. Even if Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, etc aren't literally true it could still be the case that they have some symbolic truth or piece of wisdom that we won't find elsewhere or is harder to explain without divine language.

Faith is a pretty broad category, fam. I mean you have faith in the results and methods of science and philosophy presumably right? I mean other people have faith in Scientology. Obviously they're not equal in describing the truth, but faith as such isn't the problem.

There's the difference between faith and something derived at through evidence. We can see that the scientific method is an accurate way to arrive at the truth and have justified trust in the findings of the scientific consensus. That's not the same as faith. Faith is explicitly belief without evidence.

lel, only a god could say this

??????

Nice shitpost

But you have faith in the people telling you they have arrived at a conclusion through evidence

Meaning you don't have evidence, you just have faith that others do

as in

your science is a religion

fuck you

I can check their papers with enough effort to understand the subject myself, anyone can. Plus I can perform simple experiments myself if I want. Again it's justified belief.

I just dropped something heavy and light at the same time, they fell at the same speed.

Well fuck you too buddy

This is a pretty strict definition. I prefer to think of faith as just belief in something – accepting that thing as true. I'm pretty sure under your definition, many (maybe the vast majority) of theologians and theistic philosophers would be considered as not faithful… because they have evidence for what they believe in.

Okay. I guess there's a few definitions. But certainly evidence is not strictly needed. The bible admonishes people who ask for evidence (doubting Thomas), no idea about other beliefs. A particularly illuminating response is a christian who when questioned on god belief concluded: "I know it, because I know it, because I know it".

Peter also tells us that we should be prepared to give a reason for our faith. This would be pretty hard to do if we had no supporting evidence.

Sure, but the evidence is like "for the bible tells me so". What compelling evidence is there?

Why is this autistic faggot saging every thread?

There's a ton of work being done in Christian apologetics to look at, as well as centuries of Christian philosophy from the past, personal experiences, and the historical claims made by the Bible, like Jesus Christs' literal death and resurrection (obviously context is important here). But even if all of that was bunk, there are legitimate arguments for atheistic Christianity and other atheistic religions (that I don't think I can begin to understand tbh).

Heard it, none of it impresses me. It's usually very tedious stuff.

Philosophy can't really prove anything but I know what you mean, again it's not anything actually proof

cmon

Wut?

Never heard of atheistic christianity but it sounds pretty dumb

Our knowledge of the subject is meaningless. For instance I know that money is just paper but I act as it is a reference to other commodities. Another case would be simply that on one believe is Santa Claus, but we still believe and decorate as if he does exist. So, what is the point of religion then?
1. Because it is structured in our social systems (Christmas, Our Legal System..etc)
2. Because God exists through the belief of other peoples.
3. The legacy of religion still has more value than just "Do you believe in God?" (Do Televangelists actually believe that what they say is Christian?)

sage before this gets into a fedora tossing contest.

Context is important for interpreting the Bible (and other religious books) so that we don't inappropriately take literal, something metaphoric. I.e. The world is 6,000 years old. But Jesus Christ actually existing as a person seems like a pretty straightforward historical claim.

Personal experiences are also literally the strongest evidence you could have for believing something… it doesn't mean you can't misinterpret something completely mundane the wrong way though.

Jesus existing isn't so clear cut, it's possible he did or didn't… But even if he did, that's no proof of anything in the bible, and certainly no proof he was anything more than another of millions of sectarian preachers or cult leaders. Also, 'interpreting' the bible just means throwing out what you don't like, basically. Convenient how once science disproves something the bible is interpreted to fit.

The strongest evidence YOU could have of something, not anyone else. And even then, they aren't at all reliable. I'm sure 99% of the people who ever met serial killers before they were found out thought they were perfectly nice people.

The only actual need for religion is social gatherings and so on.

You can easily replace that with party gatherings or even .. .. Pokemon Go.

There is no need for relegion, other than priests getting money.

I don't think I'm qualified to interpret the Bible, the Quran or whatever Buddhist manuscripts are out there. I don't think you should put stock in the intelligence of the average persons reading of these things.

But do you have proof?

the one mirror reflects it's self

the one mirror sees it's self

Do you not understand the concept of the burden of proof?

But even if there's no evidence, that doesnt mean it's PROVED there's no god.

True, but you can't prove that there isn't a giant unicorn living on Pluto.
Void ≠ Something
God is a concept theorized by humans since well before they figured out agriculture.
Do you really trust a stupid caveman to correctly postulate the origin of the universe with no data to work with?

Correct. So if we're talking in concrete 100% terms, I wouldn't say I knew that wasn't true either. I don't believe in god and I strongly disbelieve in god but it's irrational to claim to know you can prove a negative.

But there are an infinite number of of ways to theorize how we came to be, that doesn't make them all valid theories.

Sorry, but there's no way to prove god doesn't exist, at least a nebulous deist kind of god. If a god is defined by a holy text that can be scrutinised but then you could just say that the Christian God is real, the bible is just mistranslated/fallible.

Doesn't mean you need to be 50/50 on whether god exists but it does mean it's stupid to walk around like a fedoralord saying you can PROVE god doesn't exist, because that means you've taken on the burden of proof for something you can't possibly prove.

Airtight argument

Fucking idiot. Why don't you try reading and actually understanding next time. Go back to opinionstube.

Hell I'm not even saying anything that the majority of atheists don't think.

Ok buddy :)

I will skullfuck you

I don't know if there is or isn't a god or some supreme being because my mind can't fathom it. Doesn't mean there isn't, honestly. I don't know.

I do think religion is pretty stupid though. Not in the edgy "I hate going to church!!!" way but in the fact that it will take control of people's lives. I actually enjoy the people at my mom's church and when they need volunteers for things I always make sure I'm available to help.