mega.nz/#!NAk1DILa!atTlcpZbJXR5JbRPoAAIIoo219icDhVXrLqFy4GZqsg
pc98.org/main.html
yu-no.jp//common/mp3/yuno001.mp3
mega.nz/#F!SgYmDLJC!12Feh-o_B9Fv1pWXtU2fJw
tss.asenheim.org/
mega.nz/#F!F59WkSqQ!quGKSFIswBgv0rxAAaF8Pg!E0UnjLCQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I fucking love dithering.

I love me some dithering. Is there any list of essential games for obscure Japanese computers?

I want to dither.
How do I dither?

Tell me more.

Okay, what's the tech meaning ?

Pic related.
It's pretty much transitioning from one colour to another with limiting amount of colours.

I remember reading an article about specific dithering algorithms/techniques/patterns used by PC-98 devs, but I can't find it.

What I'd really love to find is an explanation of the exact process/workflow of the creating of PC-98 art. I know YU-NO had some or all of its art done traditionally first, but I don't know if it was referenced by the pixel artist or somehow scanned and converted before being touched up manually.

When you see checkerboard patterns in an 8 or 16-bit game's graphics, that's dithering.

I miss these games and their cheesy adlib music. We used to get them from the jap side of usenet back in the day and try to figure out how to progress without knowing moon runes. That and KiSS. Anyone remember those? I don't know if KiSS was ever forgotten, but if it was, this thread would love it.

Tell me more.

You had one job.

mega.nz/#!NAk1DILa!atTlcpZbJXR5JbRPoAAIIoo219icDhVXrLqFy4GZqsg

If you are interested in PC-98 games check pc98.org/main.html

>Watching this while listening to yu-no.jp//common/mp3/yuno001.mp3

Posting the 12.54 gigs of PC98 goodness a kind user uploaded a few threads ago. mega.nz/#F!SgYmDLJC!12Feh-o_B9Fv1pWXtU2fJw

>you will never see a continuation of Agga Ruter

I had just played Rusty recently. Though it was the DOS version, not sure what the actual differences are outside of the music.

What's the thing with all the different file types and how do they work on Neko Project II?

Help a retard out

Neat.

I'm too lazy to explain it so here's a generic youtube tutorial explaining mounting files in different emulators.

japs easily btfo

You blind son? Go back to codex and circlejerk over dead studios some more.

.fdd files are floppy disk images, .hdd files are hard disk images.

glad to see the games I uploaded are still making their way around

Try posting an EGA game for a fair comparison, and let's see how "easily" it beats any Jap game. :^)

Sorry I meant .fdi and .hdi. Most of the other formats are also floppy disks.

hey whats the website where you can play these games in your browser, I can't fucking remember what it's called but I played some old dating sims on it, not flash games but shit I can't fucking remember what it was it's pissing me off

tss.asenheim.org/

my fucking hero

If you haven't played it I recommend Divi-Dead. What a fucking ride.

Man it's been like 10 years since I played that, I should replay it one of these days. The story was fucking weird, all I remember is someone stole your body and everyone on campus was on some hypnotic drug or something.

Yeah, the story is kind of insane and nonsensical. I takes a few playthroughs to understand what the fuck was going on.
I just like how absolutely nobody is who they seem to be

Is it just me or was the anime aesthetic a lot cooler looking a few decades ago?

I went through Divi-Dead Scenario A & B about a month ago. A confused me more than anything because I was trying to wrap my head around everything. B's plot twists at the end were fucking wild and I loved it. I still need to do Scenario C, but the B endings were a good resolution to me. I maintain that Yuko is best girl. Any girl who forcefully demands that you sleep in the same bed while holding hands wins by default.

noirlacsourced.tumblr.com
mega.nz/#F!F59WkSqQ!quGKSFIswBgv0rxAAaF8Pg!E0UnjLCQ
mega.nz/#F!SgYmDLJC!12Feh-o_B9Fv1pWXtU2fJw

Embarrasing.

said the thread killer

This gon be a good thread, sadly I had to format my hard drive a month ago and lost all my pc98 images.

You can get them here.

Oh shit, those were images AND games? Sheeeeeit.

Oh I thought you meant images as in disk images. No that's just games, sorry.

the Ancient Japanese Vidya link is here

I bet you think games like Teleglitch look "retro".

Teleglitch looks like absolute shit.
Which is a shame, because it's a good game.

what game is this?
asking for research

Probably the Nadia game made by Gainax that you can download here

i dont know jack diddly dickshit about PC-98/88 let alone nadia so thats why i asked. i'll take a look, thanks.

So is there an on the fly translator or something availabe for any pc engine emulator? So far like 99% of the games i've tried thus far are basically unplayable due to either being covered in moonrunes or covered in broken moonrunes. then again whats the difference between either :^))

Theres one and that is learn moon

Trips

(checked)

You are too kind i love you.

you weren't lying when you said it, tripdubs

Witnessed.

why would i dither when i can just use shading effects and bloom in flash

wtf i thought divi-dead had only 1 ending?

SOCKO

Why would you think that?

I played it at random and got to the end, i thought that was that.

So good. The hard part is picking what to play. I wanted to play Dokyusei but apparently there are better versions, some even voiced.

Are you the same user from the VN threads who I spoiled Yuko's and the nurse's identities to a few weeks back? Was I right about them, I havent played the game in more than a decade. But if I recall you don't find out till the C endings. B is Sachiko, right?

Do you mean Kisekae Set System? Yeah, some of those were great, especially the FKiss ones. They did some really cool lewd things with what was basically a freeware paper doll engine.
By that time, most of the online repositories were gone and I could only recover a small portion of it. I especially regret not being able to find copies of this one Nip artist's sets. He had some neat scripted stuff like dial a code into a cellphone prop, making it vibrate so you could stick it up…a certain place. Plus the art was great, a semi-realistic look with huge chararcter "sprites".

It's kinda sad Divi-dead was just so badly translated.

It's a miracle I still understand what's going on.

That seems to be par for the course for any VN made before 2000. All the translations are complete shit for some reason.
It's gonna be great when I finally learn moon and no longer have to put up with them.

The team who translated Divi-dead said thank you for buying the game so that his kid could go to college.

Wait, was Divi-Dead's translation an official release? I thought it was just a fan project.
Shit, that makes it even worse, people were actually paid for it.

fucking disgusting

One thing I like about these old games is the backgrounds. They're always so detailed.

OVA 4 is happening, dude. Starts this fall.

Also go watch Photon, El Hazard, and Isekai.

This is my favorite thread all week

Damn, if you do manage to track it down, please post it. I'd love to read through it myself.

I have a bunch of them, but they're almost all Sailor Moon themed.

Why can't things be good anymore?

Of all the possible futures, the one we got was cyberpunk, but with almost none of the features that made cyberpunk cool.

Pretty sure it was someone like JAST or Peach Princess. Also fuck that map, having to go round campus just for something to trigger a flag.

That map was bullshit. After I got one ending I just used a guide because there was no way I would ever get the others without one. Half the time it doesn't even tell you when there's more than one location with a flag, so which you get is just down to the luck of where you choose to go first.

It was actually C's Ware. Their translations tend to be a bit… iffy, compared to JAST, G-Collections JAST, and Peach Princess JAST.

What makes you think we're living in a cyberpunk future? Cite Gibson's books in your reply or fuck off.

Woops my bad. In the back of my mind I sort of remembered that JAST and PP were the same company.

Also does anyone remember when the girl in the library talks about her favorite books, and the protag mentions LOTR and possibly the Earthsea books? Were there any more that they mentioned?

beautiful

C's Ware is the developer. They don't do the translations.

Some of those flag "events", were like "You see a cat walk by" or something. How would anyone playing blind even know that was important and not just flavour text?

Or stuff like, if you were supposed to see MC's uncle, you'd have to check the parking lot to see if his car was there first, he won't appear if you go straight to his office.

I love the game but some things are too much.

tfw no high quality CRT monitor

That's obviously a big rat

What is this ditchering you guys are all talking about?
All you're doing is posting old japanese pixel art.
Am I missing something?

Dithering is the shading technique used to make full use of a limited color palette. The dots in the sky here blending one color into another is the dithering.

these dots you see on the images are supposed to blend and look like a different color shade on a crt monitor, kind of what it looks like on the thumbnail, that was called dithering and was used to make a game look like it had more colors

I've noticed this stuff since I was a lil' kid messing with Windows 98, but didn't realize the thread was about this specifically.
Cool, didn't know that effect had a name.
It does look very nostalgic.

How hard is it to emulate PC-88 and/or 98 games? Do you need to mount images or anything like that?

Not at all. Get the emulator and games here:
mega:///#F!SgYmDLJC!12Feh-o_B9Fv1pWXtU2fJw

Hmm…
Any of you guys knows the source of this gem?

Looks eerily reminiscent of the Screamer, I'd start around there. Sourcing these games is like a shitty art form since this medium is long dead and buried. Good luck, man. i assume you've reverse searched and took a dip into nip google and shit

Alright, I did some digging. There's a decent chance this isn't even PC-88, but rather from a japanese console called the "fm towns marty." That oughta narrow it down by a ton since game consoles of that era came and went with few vidya produced for each of em.

"Sekai de Ichiban ga Suki!/Cocktail Soft/1990"
found it, it is fm towns marty

Shit, first time I've ever been actually able to source one of these games.

Are there modern games that utilize dithering?

Are any of them good?

There's one, but since it just came out I feel like a shill for mentioning it. It's more-or-less a VN with barkeeping elements called "VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action". It's pretty alright. Not great, but not entirely terrible. I'll grab it when it goes on sale, probably.