Thief Thread

I've had a craving to play Thief for the first time in years. If I've got Thief Gold on steam what shit do I need to add?

Google seems to suggest Tfix and/or something called Newdark. Do I need both?

Also general Thief thread I suppose.

Other urls found in this thread:

ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Forgot to add: should I alternatively just get the GoG version?

You fucked up.
Pirate it and get Tfix.

I got it in the squeenix bundle user. If it makes you feel any better I intend to torrent the second one (technically isn't piracy if you already owned it).

But otherwise Tfix it is. Also I appear to have these sitting in a folder, are they accurate?

The second image has all of the missions from the first image and more. Just trash the first image, it's redundant.

Didn't notice.

Since the third image mentions Tafferpatch for 2 I assume that is all I need once I get around to it?

Also does Deadly Shadows need anything? I remember it being tolerable if somewhat simplified so I'm going to give it a second try after the first two games. Obviously I'm not touching the shitshow that is nu-Thief.

Tfix = Thief Gold
Tafferpatcher = The Metal Age

No idea about deadly shadows, but definitely download The Dark Mod, it's basically another Thief.

I've heard good things about the TDM but still haven't got around to it. I'll probably slot it in after DS.

Thanks for the help user.

For deadly shadows I would use Thief 3 gold, it removes a lot of the loading screens from the vanilla game and tries to make it feel like the other thief games.

As in it sticks the maps together instead of them being chopped up into console-friendly chunks?

Interesting.

All that you need is the Tfix patch 1.23 is the latest one IIRC. When installing it will ask if you'd like to turn on AA. Say yes and then make sure to configure the controls after patching so that you can use the mousewheel and extra mouse buttons that it enables.

It tries at least, here are some of the features that don't include spoilers from their page:

Spoilers aren't a concern for me since I've finished them all before though I suppose others lurking might see them.

ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

This appears to include it (Thief 3 gold's forum post gold links to it saying as much) so I'll probably go with that.

Looking at all the shit it includes I'm looking forward to DS now. Should be fun to play it in a form closer to the original games.

Will do.

Well sadly the mods can't really fix things like the smaller levels and the preanimated blackjack hits from the back, but it does show a good effort in trying to make it feel like the first two thief games.

It's nice to see someone caring enough to try at least. Certainly any improvements are welcome in my book.

For all of its flaws in terms of dumbing down T3/DS has some good parts. The really depressing thing is that T1 and 2 essentially created the 3D stealth genre and still haven't been beaten. Fucking 18 years and no progress (indeed we've arguably gone backwards).

post some theeef lookin' shit

Get lost, NeoFAG!

postan thief-related shit

Truer words have never been spoken, and vid related even goes into detail about this. I don't think we'll ever get any stealth experience that improves or is even on par with the first 2 in this day and age unless a person, team, or dev company is willing to break out of the comfort zone that is AAA gaming and decides to match or outdue the standard that is Thief 1 and 2 (even with their flaws).

They don't understand stealth, the whole fucking point of it is to fucking go undetected. You do the mission without alerting anybody or anything, you are a ghost, if you are discovered you already failed. Devs don't fucking understand that the latter is an absolute necessity, it's a failure state that they should fucking implement and not glorify that you can go on playing even when every fucking asshole in the level knows you are there.

This only the first step and they fail miserably, every AAA stealth game they tried to make fails on this step. Dishonored is a good example, as an action game it's a very fun game, but as a stealth game it fails because the failure state of getting discovered is to become an action game instead of failing the objective.

more places to hide shit

Goddamnit, did no one really think to tell OP to play on expert?

Always play Thief 1 and 2 on expert OP; the game was designed around that difficulty and the lower difficulties were added later. In some instances in Thief 1, entire sections of the level are blocked off in lower difficulties.

MGS you ple as a snekXD

why does no one make a list like this for TDM?
every time I play that game I get discouraged because their list of maps is filled with shit or otherwise unfinished maps.

a ple aas as

as asnaka a asssnak a snek XD

get a load of this pleb

Splinter Cell is better.

It's basically Thief in a modern setting.

You play as an NSA field agent, a SIGINT ninja.

Depends on the game. Pandora Tomorrow was my cocain. never played the newer ones.

I would have thought the bonehoard was a scarier mission the the mine.