Xbox Play Anywhere

I mean, it's hard to complain about free stuff but it's an obvious desperate move to challenge Steam and to a lesser extent GOG's monopoly on the PC game market, which worked so well for EA, Ubisoft, and most recently Bethesda. But hey, monopolies are never good for the consumer, right?

Microsoft and Valve are presently making futile attempts to cancel each other's software platform. Microsoft's attacking Steam with UWP, and Valve's attacking Windows with SteamOS. Ultimately Microsoft will fail to displace Steam because PC gamers look for more open software platforms with customizable, modular hardware. Xbox gamers have neither the specs, budget or technical know how to take advantage of PC power, to say nothing of the PC Masterrace stooping to peasantry. SteamOS will likewise fail because Microsoft Windows adoption has skyrocketed long past any other commercial OS for x86 processors, and that ship has long sailed. There is no market for SteamOS outside the PC gaming minority's minority of hardcore Linuxfags.

What does 8/v/ make of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/GJmUu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think you are right, more or less. It's odd microsoft thinks they can compete with steam in terms of a sort of digital catalogue. This is the same as EA with origin, where they seem to be clearly trying to get in on blizzards launcher. It just isn't going to happen.

And the same backwards with steamOS. It's so weird they think it will actually be a thing.

As a Holla Forumsfag I'm absolutely thrilled Linux and Vulkan are finally getting the attention they (maybe) deserve. Linux is the logical end of open platforms, which is really what PC vs Console, Linux vs Windows, or even Android vs iOS are all about. I bet much of the PC Masterrace crowd would switch over to Linux if they could.

Why shackle these games to Win10 though? I get that it is a ploy to pull people still on older OS versions over but all it is going to do is stunt the sales potential of the games.

How long do you suppose it will take the halo community to get it on a sensible version of windows and easily piratable.
It took 5 days when halo 2 came out vista only

I need 2 conditions before I'd switch to Linux

1. There needs to be some kind of game I want to play (Just Cause 2 made me switch to 7) that needs me to switch
2. There needs to be an option to press a button to install it and then it "just works".

Aside from all the M$ bullshit we already discuss daily, this alone will prevent this idea from moving units. Nobody wants to keep track of which games have this option, least of all casuals.

If they want any shot at this working, they'd have to commit to it being all or none. I mean, I still wouldn't buy a bone, but I could see some people being drawn in if they had the option to play all their M$ exclusives on the console or pc as is convenient.

As far as displacing Steam goes, they don't seem to understand that their exclusives are mostly shit. The only way to get some to migrate to another closed platform, is to have significant offerings that competitors don't. They need a few of the equivalent of a console "system seller," and they don't seem to be aware that they just don't have one.

It's not free, the price is your soul.

Installing Linux is easier than installing Windows.

Does it change if you are actually installing it?
Because I've virtualboxed linux and you're a damn liar.

Installing windows is downloading a torrent and installing. Linux you have to find the exact version of Linux you're talking about first, then downloading and installing. That at least makes it one step harder. And what happens when I want to play a "windows exclusive" game? It doesn't "just work" it means I have to go through hoops to make it work.

And I still need a game to make me want to switch. I have Windows 7 right now that was never ever updated and has never asked me to update to 10, never caused any trouble and everything "just works" so I don't see a reason to leave Windows 7 yet.

Installing Windows 10 on my computer is not a price im willing to play.
Hell I wouldn't even do it for a blowjob.

Would you do it for… 2 blowjobs!?

I bet it was a meme distro like Arch or Gentoo.

You're really valuing a blowjob too much.

It's Microsoft preparing an exit strategy from hardware.

In some ways, GNU/Linux is easier to install then windows. Installing the more mainstream distros like Ubuntu and it's flavors isn't any more complex then windows, and you have no drivers to install and you can update while you use the system instead of having to wait hours for windows and you have built in disk encryption. Installing Lubuntu on my 2600k takes 15mins. Another 15mins to install everything I need thru terminal and setting everything up to my liking. Also you can get almost anything you need thru terminal.

However Linux still has it erks and installing software from the internet is complicated however there is .deb packages and sometimes they have their own repositories that you can add like OBS

I wouldn't even do it for 2 hours alone with a pair of bicurious 16 year old son.

See

That last part was supposed to be 16 year olds. Fucked autocorrect.

It's fine the version you initially posted works too

Sure thing, faggot.

It changes fuck to fucked too. Makes me sound foreign.

If you're into that I guess.

you have to install a specific version of Windows, like 7 or 8.1 for example. no difference there
every Linux distro seems to have torrents, at least the popular ones.
have you ever installed Windows 7? its a crapshoot whether or not installing via USB will work, and you pretty much need to install via disc. then it takes forever to install and reboots a bunch of times. Windows was never that easy to install, its just that people got it pre-installed on most things. ubuntu based distros have been easier to install for years.

you mean through Wine?

Its ok that you like little boys. Just do not cry when the police raid your house.

Until that tard on his blog invites you to create 5 partitions before installing your distro.
Worse; i actually did it just for the kick.

You could always try it out by installing it directly on a usb. Thats what i did for a while, then a got a 2nd HDD and boot windows 7 to play games

Besides the Master Race part, I'm literally waiting to install Linux because about a year ago the Linuxfag I know in real life was nagging me to install Linux, and even then I knew that near native performance can be achieved in a VM, so I told him if he S ranks DMC4, I'll install Linux. It effectively stopped his nagging, but more than a year from that he hasn't achieved that, much less he ended up playing his VNs as usual.

I like teen girls 16 is just barely legal here. I still wouldn't install windows 10 for 2 barely legal big girls.

No? I have to install the version of windows I was looking for. In my case it was Windows 7 because a game required it. Stop ignoring me previous posts autist.
Who in their right mind would even try that? And you keep ignoring my second demand.

Why? Why would I ever do that?

A suggestion? You may as well start getting used to it unless you plan on installing Windows 10 in the future.

Learn to read posts before replying to them then since you clearly haven't read any of mine.

Would you also happen to be Jewish?

Oyster vey

I give it a couple months. The guys that tackled Halo 2 didn't have to deal with UWP and Denuvo.

Microsoft really is adorable. They try to pull off what Valve did way back when.

Valve brought out HL2 and CS 1.6 and as a negative bound them to Steam. Everybody hated Steam but it was worth dealing with it for many. Steam eventually got better and through years of dirt cheap games and replacing worse DRMs earned the consumer's trust.
It's not exactly loved but people can deal with it.

Microsoft brings no interesting game. They shackle it not only to a console that's entirely pointless but also an OS that's poorly supported and hated so much that not even normalfags want that shit for free.

I really don't see Microsoft pulling a success from that.

No self-respecting linuxfag is going to touch steamos.

inb4 MUH LINUX, as if that can run games.

I agree with your first point, until Linux gets alot more OFFICIAL support vidya wise, and the games I want to play that don't are playable on WINE, then I'm gunna have to pass, Im sorry but compatability wise there's pretty much nothing that beats Win7 that is also convenient and userfriendly

which is why Win 8 and 10's comparability issues with various games and the fucking tablet OS type thing they have going on absolutely baffles me

Sounds great I can't wait to play my Xbox One games on my Windows 10 PC!

Microsoft is really pushing their feature set!

I knew it would be worth the purchase!

M$ already conceded on releasing games onto Steam.

archive.is/GJmUu

CS was bound to steam before 1.6 you dumb shit.

why do you want hardworking cops to eat IEDs, my man

isn't it a bit early to bring the insurgency to the states

the fuck are you talking about?
i clearly remember playing steamless CS 1.5 on lan parties

I mean Im not going to use Windows 10 for it, max a dual boot with a different HDD.
But Id definitly play those games, I really enjoyed Horizon 2 and KH3 at a friends house.

I'm currently on Windows 7 (pirated), but I do want to play a few of these Windows 10/Xbone games like Scalebound and Dead Rising 4. Should I upgrade to 10 and disable the botnet bullshit?

hahaha oh wow