So are there any games out there that do stealth correctly?

So are there any games out there that do stealth correctly?

All of the stealth games I've played have done really bad jobs of making a balanced stealth system that isn't abusable.
Granted, I haven't played very many stealth games, but I don't really think there's that many to begin with.

Hitman
Deus Ex HR
TES, FO3, NV, FO4
Dishonored

Anything good out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodolgaming.com/downloads/index.php?dir=ka/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thief

Thief is pretty much as far as you can take stealth without making it arcadey or shit. Deus Ex in general is a shit series for stealth in comparison. It's like DDR, like, how can you take rhythm step games farther than DDR without making them retarded?

The first two thief games for sure

Metal Gear Solid 3

Dark Messiah (enemies are fairly dumb but there is a lot of variety in how you can deal with them).

Also i'm fairly sure we're not going to see traditional Stealth games because some marketing faggots say it's boring and not fastpaced enough or some bullshit like that. Remember that Deus Ex HR was considered a risky premise by many too.

/thread

Good lord OP

Deus Ex 1 had fine Stealth gameplay, what's your problem with it?

Also i guess Dishonored can be counted as a fairly okay Stealth game IF you ridicolously limit yourself to only use the teleportation power and nothing else.

So are there any games out there that do shooting correctly?

All of the shooting games I've played have done really bad jobs of making a balanced shooting system that isn't casual.
Granted, I haven't played very many shooting games, but I don't really think there's that many to begin with.

Halo
Call of Duty MW2
Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Fallout 4
Gears of War

Anything good out there?

sly 2 and 3. But they are colorful, and aren't pure stealth games

If you want stealth games you've got Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and Thief to choose from. Beyond those three series I don't think there's much else that has a focus on stealth.

>lists ONE (1) stealth series

the point was to list a bunch of garbage ass shooters like how OP listed a bunch of garbage ass stealth games.

fam I listed Call of Duty, GoW, and Bethesda Fallouts. You don't have to be a contrarian hipster to think that those are atrocious shooters.

Siren

The stealth variations might be Manhunt tier, but the unique feature of seeing from your enemies' eyes is fresh and innovative.

I'll check out the Thief games for sure, and also maybe look into Metal Gear, but that seems like an enormous series to get into and I don't have a console.

Well yeah. That's the point of asking for recommendations, right?
I haven't played anything good, so I'm trying to get some good games to play. I acknowledged that the games I've played are trash.

IGI
Death to Spies
First 3 Splinter cell

Thief(The Dark Project/Gold, The Metal Age, The Dark Mod. Maybe give Deadly Shadows a try, but it's not that good)
Splinter Cell(1, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, maybe Double Agent. Convicition is the worst game of that year and I haven't played Blacklist)
Styx Master Of Shadows
(turn based stealth) Invisible Inc
Death to Spies(The first is incredibly clunky and difficult but worth a shot, the second is great. Alekhine's Gun is irredeemable trash that shouldn't even be looked at)
Shinobido(PS2, very overlooked game, incredibly good)
(2D) Mark Of The Ninja
(2D) Trilby the Art of Stealth(free, probably the best of Yahtzee Croshaw's games. Link: cdn.themis-media.com/media/sites/escapistmagazine/games/yahtzee/artoftheft.zip)
Tenchu(up until Wrath of Heaven. PS1, PS2)

Upcoming to keep an eye on:
Styx Shards of Darkness
Path of Shadows
???

emulate the first three games, also there's a port for MGS2. It's okay but you need a controller for it because keyboard controls are shit for it, MGS4 you can watch on youtube because most of the boss gimmicks and gameplay isn't that good unless you really want to stare at an old man's ass, Peace Walker you can emulate but in my opinion it's garbage and MGSV is on PC and it's also not that good in my opinion

:^)

Thief 1 and 2 are the best stealth games I've played. I still need to give tenchu and splinter cell a good run through, but thief has absolutely tremendous design.

Why did she do such a poor job of taping down her tits? They're still huge and perky.

how was that contrarian you fucking troglodyte

BM was an action game more than a stealth game, with faster sneaking and lockpicking, conveniently placed boxes to hide a body in, overpowered disguises and syringes. Silent Assassin was the game that did stealth correctly. Maybe you just prefer action to stealth?

struth.

while we're at it just ask for the mechanics you want done best so you can get the whole Holla Forums pantheon in one hit

Thief 1
Thief 2
Thief 3

Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

best of all times are thief and thief2
best modern is styx

Yep, ppl forgot about splinter cell.

Can only vouch for Chaos Theory since I didn't play the others, but it's definitely good stealth.

How can people forget SC?

SC defines the stealth genre.

When I think stealth, I think Sam Fisher.

Yes.
goodolgaming.com/downloads/index.php?dir=ka/

No wonder.

Well duh, don't you know how hard that game was butchered by Zenimax? Play Thief, you dummy.

Actually, why the fuck wasn't Thief the first thing to come to mind?

Like OP, I haven't exactly played every stealth game known to man, but I've never been especially blown away by them either. I think my biggest problem is that there's simply no good way to deal with what happens when you get caught. If the enemies react too dangerously and aggressively it might as well just be a game over the moment you're seen, but on the other hand, and in most games, being caught just means some super boring, unfun hiding and waiting until the enemies retardedly forget you exist thanks to goldfish attention spans and go right back to their old routines. Getting caught's either too punishing or not punishing enough, it never hits the right balance.

The other thing that bugs me is that being seen is always a strictly yes/no thing. If you're in the line of site and within range, the enemy will always instantly recognize you as something of note. If not, they never will. There's never a grey area where you're in a shadow or just barely peaking out around a corner and they need to look at you for a second before they're sure they got something. Well, aside for one game that did that, and I liked it. More games should implement stealth where in some cases the enemy can need a second or two to be sure if they're really seeing you or not.

Also, more distractions would be nice. If your character has an arm, they can throw stuff to make a distracting noise to draw attention while darting across an alley. But too few games let you do stuff like that. Or maybe you can make distractions, but you're weirdly limited to using really limited specific consumable items for those purposes as opposed to just throwing random stuff lying around. What, would it make stealth too easy or something if you basically had infinite distraction rocks/empty cans/random office supplies/etc-as-appropriate-to-the-environment to throw?

All the things you said don't apply to Hitman. You can always shoot your way through the levels, it takes a while to blow your cover, and you can distract guards with shooting or coins/bombs in blood money.

Strangely the "stealth" game I've enjoyed the most recently is one nobody seems to like.

It's Shadwen by Frozenbyte, the AI is shit, the stealh is janky and the game is as badic and video gamey as it can get, it could have been immensely frustrating, but time only moves when you move and you can rewind time at will so it ends up feeling like an open puzzle game with constant rewards, I actually find it difficult to put down once I start playing.