Why is the Nintendo 64 emulator is still not running properly? Audio pops up...

Why is the Nintendo 64 emulator is still not running properly? Audio pops up, Mario Tennis is fucked even when you put some extra settings on, Kirby has transparent enemies, ect. Didn't they have more than enough to make it work?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/61dvb4n9xk25oo6/Project64.rar
emulation64.com/files/info/204/project64.html/
wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/VCInjections_Compatiblity_List#Nintendo_64
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
kat.cr/n64-roms-collection-t714274.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Weird hardware architecture mostly. It mapped well to GLide, and to some extent OpenGL, but it wasn't perfect. Dolphin managed to gain a lot more traction, I imagine because it's open source.

is there an open source 64 emulator?

Mupen. It's best used through retroarch.

Mupen or BizHawk. mupen64plus is CLI only unless you download a separate front-end.

Or retroarch as mentioned by the other guy.

How do I use that?

I actually downloaded it from somewhere as as a rar file, no installer.

Thank god i played all of the good stuff for the 64.

The only game i did not play for its library was Goemon 64 which i will play someday but i heard its just ok

oh and Ogrebattle 64 but that one isn't hard to emulate

n64 emulation will never be good, you're much better off picking up the real hardware at a thrift shop or yard sale and sticking a flash cart in there.

Project 64 is open source

The adware got removed

Angrylion is getting a vulkan based fork which runs a several times the speed it used to.

user both of those are mad on emulator.

It seems like Project64 2.1 works better than 2.2. The fps seem to be around 60 instead of locked at 60, so it works without small audio and video high ups. With the proper core or plug even Kirby and Mario Tennis seem to be not go complete crazy.

I never realized how much of Kirby 64 was just textures

The thing that keeps most N64 hobbyists away
I agree, and to think an actual good controller came out, in the end of its lifespan and Japan-only

I only play a handful of games online via kaillera, but I know that Project 64 is pretty much useless for certain games like Goldeneye. If you want to play that game online you have to use another emulator like Mupen 64.

I wasn't going to but I downloaded Goldeneye just to try it. Other than the abysmal controls it was running just fine.

So let me actually explain what I am using.

Mostly 2.1 from here mediafire.com/download/61dvb4n9xk25oo6/Project64.rar
It has a bunch extra plugins like Glide that let Mario Tennis and more importantly Kirby run properly.

Also 2.2 from emulation64.com/files/info/204/project64.html/ Toy Story 2 was running at ~42 fps for some reason on 2.1 so I tried with 2.2 and it is running just fine, but many of the other games have some very small stutters here for some reason.

I have one of those Hori mini pads and the joystick is way oversensitive for anything that needs fine control (like aiming).

At least you dont have to screw it/adjust it again every time you play for more than 3 hours

Oh I should've clarified, it only screws up if you go online with the kaillera plugin and try to play with people. It has desync issues with Project 64 (or at least it used to) Smash Brothers and Mario Kart work fine though.

I just use custom Virtual Console injects for Dolphin at this point, it's better N64 emulation than pretty much everything and the inaccuracies inherent with the method would be present on an actual Wii.

Isn't Project 64 shit due to the fact that the actual software without Adware is primitive, while the one with adware is constantly updated?

Isn't the compatibility limited for playing N64 roms on your Wii/vWii? I couldn't get the few games I wanted to work last time I tried it, which was around 3 years ago. Not that it matters, as I have an ED64 for my actual N64 anyway.

Never actually tried Dolphin, is it possible to play with a real n64 controller?

I'm mostly interested in the popular first party games anyway, so I would assume they run well, being officially released by Nintendo for VC.

Sure you do
wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/VCInjections_Compatiblity_List#Nintendo_64

There used to be an awesome N64 to USB adapter, don't know if it's still made though.

you realize you can just not install the adware that's bundled with it, right

you have to look closely during the install process but it's doable

Can we make this an Emulation thread?

What's the best Game Boy/GBC core for Retroarch?

Gambatte.

I just notice that there are some audio issues when using gamebatte, but maybe thats just the dot matrix shader. Now what's the best cores for the systems with multiple cores?

is CEN64 doomed to be vaporware?

I didn't even need to post.

From what I remember, mGBA for GBA (gPSP is faster if you can't run it), GPGX for Genesis/SegaCD (doesn't do 32X though), FBA for all the system it can do, bSNES-mercury balanced for SNES (SNES9x if you can't run it fullspeed), Nestopia for NES (FCEUX if you want OC).

Marathonman is kind of a strange person so It's not impossible the project will crash'n'burn long before final release, thankfully there's already a backup plan if that fails.

Do you use a custom controller that doesn't have a shit joystick?

As I've been following for some odd years off and on, let me tell you it's fucking retardedly stubborn autism by the devs. They are extremely loyalist to how the N64 is supposed to run but it's pretty much impossible to get it right however the alternative solutions that would achieve a "close enough" result for everybody is always shot down for the most retarded reasons especially now that they've come this far you "merely" need to use cheat engine some they'd have achieved more if they went for one of those alternatives.

Fuck you I liked the N64 controller

It's not like you need two joysticks for anything other than FPS games

Strangely enough, apparently that's why Nintendo releases VC games at such a crawl; they refuse to release emulation that isn't as perfect as possible.

We will never get Starwing or original Yoshi's Island, dammit.

Weirdly enough, IIRC Goldeneye had a control scheme that used two N64 controllers for a twin-stick setup.

I distinctly remember the share thread mega archive having the full N64 shebang with the best emulator and some plug-ins of all the games everyone wants to play except those with compatibility issues. otherwise there is hordes of N64 roms floating around all over the place.

Some weren't included though because reasons for example some of those some games are still incompatible (Winback still has that fucking grey cube but if your autistic enough with Cheat Engine you can isolate it and shunt it off the screen). Don't use the latest Project 64 emulator for anything off the big list of the most popular stuff because they removed customization options. Assholes.

I'm pretty sure there are other windows based front ends

I remember having a list of all the different n64 games and which emulators with which plugins worked best. Anyway the emulation wiki maintained by halfchan and plenty from fullchan let's be honest is your best bet for this sort of shit in general.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Does Body Harvest work yet?

Nope.

You can literally torrent every n64 rom in existence.

kat.cr/n64-roms-collection-t714274.html

When I play Quake as soon as I go into any water, everything fucks up.

The N64 controller was garbage in hindsight.

What's wrong with that?

I don't wanna move my hands

The only games that used both the joystick and the d-pad were the mario party ones and you had plenty of time to switch in between them between minigames

Emulation thread?

I've been pulling my hair out trying to decide which ePSXe video plugin I refer. Each one has some kind of advantage paired with a disadvantage that makes me not want to use any of them.

On the upside, the latest ePSXe supports XInput now and fixed some other problems it had.

The analogue sticks constantly broke, and there's no point to having 3 seperate hand holds when instead you could design your controller like say, the Gamecube, PS2-4, Xbox controllers.

Imo the Xbox is the most ergonomic controller out there right now, followed by the GameCube (It just fit my hands extremely well and I had lots of hours playing RE4 on that platform)

Yeah that's actually what I meant. I don't wanna move my hands form one position to another.

which platform?

Windows.

Also, I know Holla Forums tends to prefer PCSX-R but last time I used it that emulator failed to render certain particle effects in Spyro the Dragon properly despite using the same video plugin, so I dropped it at the time.

That's just because they're old now. When I played the N64 way back when they were fine

Yeah but there's no detriment either

I don't know why people ain't making games for the N64

The dev tools have been leaked online just look

What would be the point of that? Not only will they not sell, but I doubt most people could even handle developing for such and old platform. They are too coddled by modern game engines that would never have a hope in hell of fitting on the N64.

Yeah you called me out on that one. Mednafen is also considered superior but it's accuracy-focused so no high resolutions. I'd imagine that issue with PCSX-R is fixable.

Yeah, developing for the N64 wasn't fun when it was new (even according to Nintendo), certainly wouldn't be fun now.

So far I think I prefer setting the internal resolution to 2x or 3x the original, but then still outputting the image to 640x480. It feels classic and yet improved.

Lately I've been using the Pete's OpenGL2 Plugin v2.9, but I've noticed that it has a nasty habit of not quite outputting straight lines of pixels. It's not really noticeable if you aren't looking for it, but I am looking for it so it drives me nuts.

Last night I tried using gpuBladeSoft but for some reason I couldn't actually get it to increase the internal resolution at all. In the GUI is it greyed out, and changing it in the .ini file just gets ignored.

making a game for it is hard but doing simple things is fun

like for example making 3d text that you can spin

I think I remember 1964 working pretty well.

Get one of these. And if you plan getting more than $100 worth of games, then get a flashcart instead.

N64 controller works fine for everything but the original Mario Party, which I'm thinking of basically making a controller with the top of the thumbstick being a Dr. Schols gel pad thing to ease the pain of "rotate the stick" mini games