Videogames that start pretending they are fantasy but reveal later they are the real world so far after an apocalypse...

Videogames that start pretending they are fantasy but reveal later they are the real world so far after an apocalypse that the few signs of our civilisation like skyscrapers are their 'ancient ruins'

This is the best trope. Its the fucking tits in every game its ever in.

I know Etrian Odyssey did this, as well as Crystalis.

Shit taste, tbh fam.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

It's not really hidden but Nier had a nice aesthetic for this.

Get out.

Knock off the niggerspeak.

Adventure time?

Rip off

Get out

no user, please not this

not again….

It's sort of a big twist.
Breath of Fire 3

MOTHER 3 starts as the real world but ends on the apocalypse.

Xenoblade was the tits

To OP's credit, that TVTropes is an SJW shithole isn't very visible to the average person, and it's not mentioned here enough for all anons to necessarily know that fact.

Why not? Wasn't this what OP was looking for?

Weather you like TVTropes or not, tropes do exist and it is the correct term. Deal with it.

Pretty sure the word is cliche.

Chrono Cross takes this to another level.

cliche is an overused trope.

This is the second thread I've seen in as many seconds wit the word trope in the OP.

Fuck off, stop making threads you tvtropes faggot.

You have to go back.

Endless Legend

Phantasy Star Three

this

It's a way to deprive them any ownership of the English language, so they'll be forced back to their native chimp chirps and whoops.

Tales of Phantasia does it. Does a pretty damn good job of hiding it until it comes up too.

Auriga was a creation of the Endless and breeding ground to their Dust creations, evidenced by all of the life and their utilization of Dust as though it were magic instead of the nanotechnology that it truly is. Even considering the Vaulters/Mezari they crash-landed into Auriga and attempt to escape.

Where does Earth fit in?

Yes. One of the reasons I liked it.

You try coming up with a game world and premise that has no tropes.

One that people often forget or don't realize:

xenoblade chronicles

>we're talking there is only two remaining "people" who reshaped themselves into "gods"
>the computer that reshaped them still exists
>the only reason the cycle of constant death and rebirth is stopped is because the computer got bored
>at the end when the heroes ask the computer who/what he is, he blatantly tells them "I can tell you exactly what I am, but it's not possible for you to understand." and then he tells them anyway and they have no clue what he said

Shit was cool.

smh

That site is shit, but understanding narrative conventions AKA tropes - and why they are that and/or why they are used actually improved my writing. If you understand that such narrative conventions are not set in stone, and rather there for you to use, twist and turn them into your own, mixing and matching and warping them to suit your needs then it will only improve your knowledge and consciousness of your own storytelling.

Splatoon.

Secret of Mana used it well, one of the later dungeons had you fighting through a series of subway cars. Too bad the enemies were shit(zombies and duck soldiers)

>Xenoblade Chronicles

One day I'm going to finish this fucking game, but it is so hard.

Age of Decadence does this too

Might and magic.
witcher

Etrian Odyssey has magic and stuff though, which kinda gets in the way of OP's "real world" part.

Though OP might be fine with the "real world" getting magic and generally becoming less real way after the apocalypse, in which case yeah, it counts. I have no problem with magic and fantasy elements, but I'd say that's a different version of the whole "it was the future all along" twist. It's not really the "real world" anymore if unrealistic things are happening. Though magic re-awakening or whatever is actually my preferred version of way post-apocalyptic stories.

I really would have liked it if the game expanded a bit more on that whole ancient advanced civilization aspect, it was kind of a tease to show so little. Also, the ducks don't really make sense, but the zombies totally do. They're all those subway travelers that got caught in there the last time the Mana Beast destroyed everything.

With that said, I'm pretty sure that even the society that made those subways and such was probably more of an advanced fantasy society than a direct equivalent to our totally non-magic modern society, so I don't think it's what OP's talking about. The other ancient structures were totally magical style palaces as opposed to modern buildings.

Decent game, shit ending.

Chrono cross did this
by saying that all life on the map you're playing was artificial
its weird to me because i had that same idea before seeing binnysauce play throught chronopolis

This being said, if you use tvtropes instead of allthetropes, you deserve to be bullied.

troper tales was Holla Forums: the blog.