Dead by Daylight

I've been hearing a lot about this game outside of Holla Forums but not at all inside, so I was curious if any of you guys have played it and any impressions you had about the game.
I haven't tried it out myself but I probably will sometime soon and then just refund it in under 2 hours if I don't like it. From what I've seen though it looks like someone has finally managed to make a real horror game by realizing that a computer is never going to be a spooky a people at least not consistently.

Well, I saw some gameplay and it looked extremely boring. Basically it looked just like hide-and-seek, but with omg so spooks.

Maybe fodder for some screaming youtubers.

Looks like its going to get boring really quick and that pretty much assures any multiplayer is dead on arrival

Gameplay-aside, theres a major flaw in that you cant party with friends nor is there any means to communicate in-game. The closest thing you can do is make a private lobby to play but you dont gain things from playing like that and progression/levelling up your shit is just about the only thing to do considering the content is minimal. And since the community is minimal at best you will be lucky to get a game full of randoms as-is.

Its also pretty boring, repetitive and somewhat reliant on RNG. You may or may not get QTEs when performing objectives (as a human) which exponentially increase the rate of doing the thing or, if you fail, reset you AND alert the enemy to your position.

Similarly, if you get caught and stuck on a hook you can roll a dice to get out which outright saves your life or kills you. Meaning as the killer you have to babysit the hook not only to prevent a saviour but also a self-save giving everyone else plenty of time to go do the objectives.

Its basically just Evolve in a different skin. Everyone who does have it will play a few games, learn the meta and best hiding places and then its just going to be rinse-repeat. If the community even lasts long enough for that.

My impressions from youtube vids
It looks like a 1 man left 4 dead to me with all the problems that entails.
Winning as the monster seems basically impossible because of the trapdoor mechanic. Survivors can grab teammates off of hooks the instant the monster puts them on.
Getting put on a second time instakills you so there's no impetus to actually defend the hooks anyway as a monster.
Survivors can vault the interactive barricades so they can't accidentally screw each other over.
If you go up against a team that is godly at the quicktime events you're just fucked because you will have 0 information.

There's no strategy to monstering, it's a case of hear loud noise, go to noise maybe catch idiot survivor. Hook rinse repeat. There's no tactical team plays because you're the only monster and traps are pretty much limited to a bear trap that blind people will stumble into on occasion.

Not to mention I've only seen 1 monster and 1 map, I'm not even sure there are more.

This is the biggest problem, because the game gets incredibly boring if the killer camps. Sometimes he will back off a bit and bait people to try and free the person, which makes it more fun. Doesn't seem to happen often, though.

3 killers, not sure how many maps but there's more. The game is released now. There's a Hillbilly which has a chainsaw that after charging allows him to dash straight really far and one-shot anyone to the ground, and destroy barricades. There's a Wraith that can turn translucent and rings a bell (think the Demon's Souls enemies in the Tower of Latria) when going in and out of translucent form. Being translucent also stops heartbeat/music being played, but after leaving form you can't attack for about a second.

And obviously, every small team-based game is full of morons so you would have to carry, unless you played with friends. But apparently you can't level up in private lobbies which means you get less stuff to play with unless you go to public games.

I watched a bunch of streams because I found it interesting, and now that it's out I want to see how good it is with the new stuff before I commit.

Oh, right.
The beta was full of bugs. I don't know if those were fixed.

I think there are 4 maps but they all pretty much look similar and I saw a wight monster with some sort of invis ghost form and a killer with a chainsaw dash

It's the sort of thing that you should have for multiplayer for a game that has extensive singleplayer with a story.
This seems to be multiplayer mostly.

I played the beta the first time the game popped up around here.

The game is horribly balanced and rather poorly designed. It makes a terrible horror or monster game, you never feel truely hunted or weak as a survivor and hardly feel intimidating or powerful as the killer. Both side's objectives and toolkits are barren and rounds involve lots of running in circles dodging awful hit detections while running back and forth to objectives with 0 communication.
The game is also buggy as hell, especially with the lobby system, and looks like shit; most notably the animations, which are floaty, clip like crazy, and are all around underwhelming.
It's also made by the Payday 2 devs so you can expect no support, minimal content on release, even worse balance, way too much DLC, and a disgustingly boring and broken progression system.

You mean on Reddit. The last thread I saw about this said it was popular on Reddit.

I just saw bro team and some other youtubers playing it as well as some videos this moring

Yeah that's a pretty good point, I guess I'll stay away from it unless something major happens

theres been two threads about it at least

thats nothing new. there were Starcraft custom maps like this, there was a pretty interesting one based on The Thing where you had a temperature meter that went down when outside and went up while near heat sources/inside, and there was dynamite and stuff. then on Warcraft 3 there was the Parasite series, Phase Killer, Zerg Infestation, etc. Parasite 2 was great fun, there was a nuke and bombs, you could get drunk, fly spaceships, bombard the planet, etc. theres also this Doom mod, embed related. although Dead by Daylight is stand alone, it looks to be inferior to pretty much all of these.

The game is ridiculously unoptimized, you get framedrops even on the lowest settings.
There is no advanced graphics options, you just get a "low medium high ultra" slider.
You need to edit the ini file to turn off v-sync
Controls cannot be rebound at all.

In the beta there was a shack were you could infinitely stall as a survivor and be completley impossible to catch.
They fixed this shack in the full game, but the new maps have other buildings you can infinitely stall too.

It takes forever to actually start playing a match, I have had lobbies where it took half an hour or more to get enough players to start the game. Not sure if this is because shitty matchmaking or if there just isn't enough survivor players to match up with each killer player.

There is no way to queue ranked with friends other than to constantly leave and rejoin matchmaking until you randomly get into the same lobby as your friend. Devs have said they will implement a separate "team ranked" mode though.

The game itself is pretty buzzword when you actually start playing, but there are still absolutley massive issues with it.

Bother, I did a really long review of my short beta experience but never bothered saving it as a pasta.

In short; it's great fun with inexperienced players, random or friends, and has a very interesting premise, but the longevity is questionable. Like Evolve 2.0, but less shit in gameplay and less shekelmeistering, at least so far. A good survivor team will run silent the whole game, destroy every hook, and never get caught. I came near to this on the day I binge played it, but managed to catch out all but one of the players, who I patiently left to bleed out rather than let them wiggle away trying to carry them all the way to the basement where the only indestructible hooks were. A bad one may or may not find success, but they're probably going to have at least two fatalities. Your best time to get it would have been as a free beta, but now is the second-best time early in the release, where you'll get some mileage. Alternatively, wait for patches to refine the game and buy on a sale that'll bring an influx of fresh shitters to matchmake with who won't be impossible to catch as the killer or impossible to avoid as a survivor. Better yet, don't buy if you're frugal.

I loved doing this. Had a bit of success at it, too. Didn't figure out the trick to getting bear traps under hooks, though, in retrospect I think I had to sit behind the survivor so it can't shoved me back.

Jason is our only hope now.

seriously, losing points because the HOST disconnects is the stupidest shit.

the game is pretty fun, but fags like this just ruin it. it honestly feels like an early access title.

Yeah, theres so many issues, I dont see how the fuck they thought this was a acceptable state for full release

The biggest problem right now, I believe, is that there is absolutely no incentive in helping troubled survivors. Best case scenario, you help the guy, but since you're pretty much assured the Killer is going to camper, you either do not bother to begin with, or there is a high chance you're gonna die as well.

It's much more efficient to play selflessly, which for a coop game is a pretty big problem. I wouldn't even say you're being selfish, actually, because not dying like a retard does actually aid your other friends who are also not dying like retards.

Welp, I mean selfish, not selflessly.

Another thing, what is even the point of the Wiggle thing? It was super overpowered during the beta, but now you're pretty much guaranteed to not be able to fill it even at 75%

was in beta, it's shit.

The wiggle thing does work in some situations. If you have a guy who can sabotage the hooks, then the killer has a long way to carry you… which breaks the game cuz you literally can't score a point as a killer unless you have a perk to make wiggling harder.

This guy is pretty spot on. I get the feeling there will also be a bunch of DLC coming out, both because the game is pretty barren right now and the fact that it is published by Starbreeze. I have about 3 hours played with friends and have no intention of playing public lobbies aside from the allure of leveling, but even then the two friends that have gone and played public lobbies seem no better off than I or anyone else I play with is. Overall it is buzzword, I just doubt it will last anyone more than 10 hours. At 3 hours we can already easily clean house as the survivors unless I am the killer, then they have only gotten down to 1 gen left.

Im pretty sure this is going to end like Evolve or something