Dungeon Crawler thread?

I remember this genre being a pretty popular a couple of years ago, why did it decline?
The genre still has some life in it; LoG 1 and 2 prove it.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/ppz1jihdfqar5ao/Brandish_4.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It didn't decline. It is as popular as it was before, Vita gets weeb shit dungeon crawlers and Stranger in Sword City was released. If you want action one then the TES series is essentially a glorified dungeon crawler.

Its just that there are other games much more popular than it.

Modern game design would dictate the game be one straight corridor with a dozen cutscenes peppered along the way. You can't make a dungeon-crawler out of that.

Dungeon crawling was outdated before video games even existed.

Niche genres are a no-no today.

At least you always have older dungeon crawlers like Wizardry or M&Ms. Wondering what LoG guys will do now.

Fixed

Got it.

Etrian Odyssey perfected the genre in EOIII and everybody else gave up trying.

Pls, we're talking about WEAL games

Wolf/Doom mortally wounded them. I didn't see a single dungeon crawler being used to demo hardware at computer shows after that. A lot of the dungeon crawler audience turned out to be the FPS audience and that gobbled up the best devs. There was also burnout as crawlers were the RTS of their day - you're unaware of the huge number of awful ones that have been forgotten, especially in the shareware space and even online.

As an old oldfag, if you're able to handle some old and are interested in crawler history, I'd recommend trying to play Telengard. It's from 1982 and you might be shocked at how many mechanics it had gotten right that early. Don't break the experience by using save states, it got the gambling aspect right and it's a big part of the game. And yes, there's an RNG hump to clear for the first 1-2 levels as was common with games back then (it took decades for people to agree this was a bad idea), deal with it.

I remember lots of those, they were terrible but comfy at the same time.

Did anyone play the old bard's tale series? Any good?

can someone post the chart?

is it their fault dungeon crawlers died in the west faster than your mom came after my dicking, while the genre is flourishing in japan from a long time up to today

I'd not call it flourishing with how EO4 was gutted of all challenge to get people to play it who aren't the crawler type. The writing's on the wall.

Are the Bard's Tale game even dungeon crawlers?

Don't tell me what I can and can't post

Meant for

This is why I love dungeon crawlers. Even terrible ones are still enjoyable.

There is some dungeoning, I think games likr this are so close that they should count. If excluding it one should also exclude M&M.

I can't see it
where is it

It's a genre that's just hard to fuck up.

And they can be very different while looking similar. Look at smt sj (and the other smt games), they have a constant changing party dynamic. Then look at DT2 with its elements system. Even EO does things very differently and those are only jap dungeon crawlers.

I never really liked Japanese ones, I was always more of a fan of old PC dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master.

Fair enough. There are plenty of wDC i liked. M&M 4 and 5 were my overall favorites. Now if only i had a pc and knew how to code so i can make my dream dungeon crawler.

Are there any good modern grid based ones that aren't grimrock?

Might and Magic X is not good.

Are there any dungeon crawlers with strange, arcane environments? The more alien the geometry the better.

Are you willing to go into handheld territory? If you want you can emulate etrian oddessy 1-3 on ds, shin megami tensei strange journey on ds. I think there were a few on 3ds and quite a few on vita. DT2 on vita, demon gaze, there was one just released on vita and pc that i cant remember the name of. There really are not alot of dungeon crawlers on pc recently, but alot on handhelds.

no thanks, just PC, nvm then, I will just play something old or something else.

How can you forget a classic like this?

Enemies can attack you as much as they fucking want, but you've got a cool-down period.

Stranger of Sword City? I've been playing it lately and it's good. It can be quite grindy, though. It kinda feels like a cross between Strange Journey and EO to me. I recommend giving it a go if you liked those two games.

It was my understanding that Id took heavy inspiration from dungeon crawlers when creating Wolfenstein and Doom, particularly in level design and player progression.
e.g.; You're dumped into a maze filled with monsters and traps. The maze also contains the tools you need to survive, go find them. Explore the maze, kill the monsters, find the exit.

It could be argued that the exploration-focused FPS is an evolution of the dungeon crawler ethos.

Real-time blobbers are fundamentally flawed because you can always circle your enemy safely and never take damage. Ultima Underworld is an exception because it doesn't use a grid and you can't exploit it.

You're not old enough to be here.

Grow up kid

Its shit

Playing through Elminage Original and going through the post-game dungeon. These extra bosses are horseshit. They can kill you in one hit and drain your level multiple times too? Go fuck yourself game.

Can't wait to see what the next boss will do to me.

Not always, you don't always have enough space to safely circle around them. And if it's more than two enemies at once then you're just fucked.
LoG has some real problems, like enemies doing way too much damage.

i am the rogulike, pls send shekels here

Share your dream dc with us user

Check out Demise: Ascension. It's one of those games that really throws everything out of the window but once you get into it's fun. Combat is somewhat lacking (as far as I have seen) but the map is great.

Reminder that Falcom already perfected the genre with their Brandish series of games.

Just back out to a room with more space. Easy.

No you're not.

How so? Because you like the graphics?

That plus great graphics, addictive as fuck gameplay, excellent level design, superb controls and awesome soundtracks. Go Etrian Odyssey for turn-based, go Brandish for real-time.

playing moe chronicles, pretty comfy, but its a pain getting all the panties for the qt monstergirls

Just compare both pics

Closest thing to Ultima Underworld 3.
Not well known since it came out same time as Morrowind, but there's something extremely comfy about that underground city.
I can't help but replaying that game every odd year.

The idea is: the equipment levels instead of the characters. They level and gain increasec stats, as well as give the character skills. Equipment can also be enchanted to put custom skills so any combination on equipment and skills are possible.

Half the time you'll back straight into a fucking dead-end.

I hate that.

Is there a link to 4/VT? The only torrent I could find has no seeds.

mediafire.com/download/ppz1jihdfqar5ao/Brandish_4.iso

Dumped by yours truly.

You sexy, sexy man.

Where can I get this?

I hate saying this but git gud

you just need to buy a VITA and import your asian-english copy goy!
Its ok, babies first dungeon crawler, with lots and lots of monstergirls qt and lewds

It looks like a VN.

Damn I thought it was for PC. Thanks anyway.

dungeon crawler with VN elements

NEVER EVER

It's like that game would show me a picture of Faye Valentine and tell me it's a sasquatch.

That sounds pretty shitty, honestly.

yeah, that problems with the designs, most 80% of them just look like qt qirls in monster costumes

Years of over saturation and no/failed innovation.

It's a niche genre now. Either devs cater to the few remaining elitists who can only be satisfied with every increasing difficulty to satiate their numb and swollen palettes, in the process losing the chance at attaining new customers, or create something innovative to attract new customers and get nothing but denigration from the elitists for not being a soulless grind.

Devs can't win with dungeons crawlers.

What's worse is when four enemies start fucking gangbanging you from all sides.
They could be snails, but one of your party members will probably still die.

just make a love story with cinematic experience and easy mod, but make the game hard as a diamond dick in normal mode with endgame and NG+

Considering the game you're posting, I assume you're the kind of person who'd play the former?

I was entertained, to say the least with Sakura Dungeon

I tried Crimson Shroud on 3DS but that one section where you needed an item that a random enemy drops pissed me off.

never played a dungeon crawler before, so i went for an easy one, when i finish it, i will play stranger of sword city and get raped.

I love that game so much but stopped my playthrough because a new Libertatis version is coming out and because the crypt is nightmare fuel

Why not try one of the games OP posted? Dungeon Master isn't that hard, and it's rather fun.

Any dungeon crawlers similar to the Brandish games out there?

Which is the best brandish game?

Dark Revenant is the best translated one

Forgot to mention 3 and 4 are great too despite not being in english.

1 and 2 are good, but the SNES versions are pretty shitty

when i finish SoSC, backlog of vidya is getting longer

I usually abused doors in that situation. Attack with all characters, then close the door for the cooldown period. Open it back, then repeat.

Anyone know that one dungeon crawler where I believe you are somehow put into an alien body and have to communicate with npcs by putting together symbols? It was pretty obscure but it looked neat.

You can exploit the hell out of Underworld. There are two mechanics to be aware of: pushing things out of the way, and swing timers. Prep an attack, run at full speed into an enemy and hit it, the enemy will begin its swing (this has a long timer), the game will push the enemy backwards like any other NPC, then you run backwards until you hear the whiff of their swing failing to connect. Repeat. Once you git gud at this, just like LoG, you will never get hit. Not even once.

What are some of the best dungeon crawlers when it comes to party members? I'm talking customization, creation, and variety. I've recently replayed Wizardry 8 and I'm looking for something heavy with the party.

M&M 4&5? Game is very quirky and your party can get ridiculous and fucked up by lots of status ailments. If you don't savescum the party dynamics get interesting.

it didn't have the case, but considering how no other places in 50+ miles had it and for 15 bucks I can't really complain. I'm just glad I'll finally be able to play an Etrian Odyssey… and from the sounds of it, the best one at that.

also, I've heard it has some Lovecraftian influence which makes me all the more hype.

just saw NISA localized Stranger in Sword City… how's the tranlsation?

link requested, and also
I'm also at the crypt

Stranger of Sword city came out recently. Is pretty good.

Ultima Underworld 2 has the ethereal void and Talorus (?) which fit strange and arcane, plus there's like several other environments b/c you're jumping through worlds and stuff.

They actually had no hand in the translation from what I hear. They just handled publishing.

imo if you want to have the most fun with it, avoid reading build guides or ban yourself from using the one skill that is the most broken.

very nice, I'll have to give it a go then.

I'll hold off on that then, and what is that skill I shouldn't use?

I'd attempt playing without Warrior Might. It's too broken and all builds with it wind up with the party being nothing but support for it.

Gotcha, I appreciate the advice and will avoid that skill.