Regarding comfy games

While it is true that some games are "comfy", it seems to me that it always varies from person to person. It's hard to really nail down what "comfy" is, since everyone is going to have a different opinion on it. What's comfy for one may not be comfy for another. There's no point trying to pinpoint the term.

So, instead of trying to nail down what the definition of "comfy" is in this regard, post an example of what you think is comfy and then elaborate on why you feel that way. Let me hear what fond memories these games inspire or why it's relaxing to play. Give me details, something to go on that can be discussed. I will start with my own example, it being VTMB. Usually I don't experience "comfiness", but this is the rare exception.

I like hanging around in this game because of how "alive" the cities are. Everything from architecture to the background music feels just right. There are billboards, flashing signs, people milling about, basically everything found in a city. The dialogue is very colorful and overall the game happens in a very believable setting, all things considered.

The "comfy" factor for me is the eternal night aspect of the game. You prowl the streets and talk to people always during the night, when everyone else is asleep. I've always enjoyed being around empty streets at night with nothing but the lamp-posts lighting the way. It's strange but also relaxing to see the usual busy streets with the people and the cars suddenly calm and empty. VTMB isn't exactly filled to the brim with civilians, so it's nice to sometimes walk around Hollywood or Downtown for example and see that there are only a few people around you. It's also fun going to the apartment and just idling, listening to the radio as I look at my latest e-mails while the TV is on in the background. The apartment has really good lighting, or at least lighting that suits my tastes. I also like hanging around the bars, especially the one found in Downtown. I sometimes pretend I'm sitting at a table there, so I jump onto a table and crouch in first-person. That is damned comfy (no pun intended).

Looking up NPC's skirts abusing the camera or staring at their asses is also a favorite past-time.

The game seems to give off this 90's feeling. I can't explain myself any better in this regard in that it feels like it is firmly rooted in the late 90's. TV is still big, computers and the internet are big news and hell, even the game's theme, which is vampires, seems to fit in with the 90's feel, since there were TV shows around the time concerning the supernatural. Everytime I play this game, it feels like going back in time, in a good sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8t1VlJlPTr0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I actually think that Pathologic is quite comfy.

Sure, you have health, hunger, reputation, disease etc etc to think about, but once you get to know the village and the characters it actually feels quite comfortable to walk the streets, barter for goods and talk about the events of the day.

Especially when you go out of the village in to the wild, a barren land with no disease, humans or problems. It just feels like a breath of fresh air.

youtube.com/watch?v=8t1VlJlPTr0

I love it!

I agree it's comfy and feels alive, I can't really tell why.

Pretty sure it takes place in 2003 or 2004 though.

While I like games that are classic comfy thread material like Atelier etc., I really think survival horror games are the peak of comfyness.
That feeling of being alone and hunted with the constant melancholia dripping from most of these games make them perfect imo.
Favorites would probably be Fatal Frame 2, Silent Hill 2.
Another game that comes to mind is Fragile Dreams for the Wii.
Not really Survival Horror, but the melancholic atmosphere and the setting, which is a more mellow post-apocalypse(not sure if that word really does it justice, but I wouldn't know what else to call it) mixed with sweet and sad ghost stories, give it a similar vibe.

Is it worth waiting for the remake for a first playthrough or not?

I also like games that take place solely at night. It's silly, when you think about it, but it's a nice feeling.
I want a game that takes place in polar night, so we can have a night-only setting that doesn't fall apart when you think about it for more than ten seconds.

It's hard to define comfy, even personally, but I can say this much: Points of no return are absolute comfiness destroyers for me. I guess a comfy game is one where I don't feel like I'm worried about missing things, or having to choose just the right build, or otherwise screwing things up. Doesn't mean they can't be hard, but there's a difference between dying and reloading/trying again, and realizing you saved after missing something and now have to totally restart the game. Comfy is definitely more about game structure and design than actual tone and subject matter, for me at least.

To me it's any game you want to see EVERY part of because you know it's not an infinitely repeatable experience, due to being mainly story based, an older game that never got a sequel, or a genuine labor of love. It's bittersweet because you can't really go through them twice unless you almost deliberately try to miss shit, but it's a comfy ride and you easily get a few extra hours from completionism.

Anachronox was one for me. Going around low-detail levels which aren't particularly nice to look at with different characters to get different and usually hilarious dialogue from NPCs. No other goal than to see all the lines the dev crammed into the game, and appreciating the fact that they didn't have to.

Well, the remake is going to be quite different from the original game, which is also why the developers released that 'HD' version of the original one. It fixed the atrocious translation as well, so I heartily recommend playing it!

"Comfy" is a buzzword used by people to compliment games that the speaker likes, but is either too lazy/stupid to analyze, or is aware that the game sucks, so they call upon "comfyness" to shut up opposition.
You could just as well call a game "Bodacious and Radical".

pretty much this

>windows phone

Comfy just means comforting. As in, the human emotion of relaxation. Are you familiar with it?

Comfy is a way of life! Your opinion is worthless!

Comfy is a conclusion, not an argument by itself.

Using the same logic you say that "good" is a buzzword, or "fun".

So don't interpret it as one.

Comfy games, eh?
The most comfy game in my mind is DCS A10c, and I don't really know why either.
It's hard as fuck to get into, and you will have to do the tutorial missions over and over again, but after some time and practice you will simply understand what to do in certain situations. At the beginning you will read the manual and think "I have no clue what I am doing, but it's working. So I better keep doing it until I know what I am doing", and I tell you, when that time comes, and you know what you are doing, you will feel great.
The best story I can tell is the story of a cold and long night. I set up a mission to start on the exact same time it was IRL, took off from Batumi, set course for Iran, and started reading a book.
As I read and listened to the sounds of my engines running at 100%, checked the fuel every couple of minutes to make sure that I dropped the drop-tanks in time, checked the map to ensure I was on course (even though I was off the actual game map quickly), and time passed in game and IRL I felt this strange feeling, which to this day I can only describe as being at a state of inner rest.
I honestly don't remember what book I read, but I remember it being very shit and about some German prince who failed to execute orders in battle and got in very deep shit because of it.
And if that is too boring for you, you can always just jump into a mission with radar sams and get your shit kicked in, or get the Ka-50 Blackshark module to fly the second best helicopter ever build.

Kill yourself my man.
Not his strongest work I agree.

I'm sorry

ya used too many comfy man

Dark Souls is comfy for me because I know every nook and cranny by now and yet the gameplay hasn't become repetitive.
basically any game where "just walking around" is fun.

what instrument is that?

I couldn't get into it, I love the atmosphere and the overall feel and story of the game, but the walking was so tedious, going from point A to point B in a slow walk for 2 hours wasn't a great way to start.

A Dinduphone

Christianity is comfy.

Pic related. Because it has great lore, great graphics, great music, and is overall very chill to play. Endless Legend is the one game I go to when I just want to relax.

Funny how that works out. There was an user in a Bloodlines thread a month or so back talking about how the game's comfiness felt like "a pleasant burn-out" - like seeing everything go to hell but not having a care in the world for any of it, and there was a link someone posted to an interview with the composer of the game's soundtrack where he said just about the same thing about how he was feeling when he was putting it together.

Pathologic 2016/2017 ;_; is really going to be more like a reimagining than your usual kind of remake. I say go for the original, definitely.
Wait a sec-
Here it fucking is again.

you imply too much, comfy is a semi subjective term used to describe games that hold therapeutic value to the player.

It never implies anything about the quality of a game as a game.

comfy is usually just another word for atmosphere that someone happens to like