Bullshit vidya achievements

I'll always remember this friend I had at school

I am amazed by these claims, since I have played multiplayer against this guy and he's fucking garbage.

Anyway, next time he comes over to my house, I ask him to show me his skill.

He boots up Duke nukem, and basically save/reloads so often that it's like a TAS. I'm talking every 2 seconds. He was playing like shit but just needed 2 seconds of 'good' gameplay before he locked in his progress. I asked 'what are you doing, this isn't playing the game!' and he said with a shit eating grin 'it's part of the game, it's allowed'

After 10 minutes of save/reload he gets through the first stage. We then try Unreal Tournament. First thing he does it set game speed to 50% in the options menu. I can't say I was surprised.

People are lying to themselves if they cheese a game to this extent to win.

Savescumming, gamespeed options, it shouldn't be allowed!

Say what you will, but if I actually want a game to be easier, slowing it down would be my absolute first choice for what to change instead of enemies doing less damage or whatever. But nope, that's almost never an option.

My current coworker is like you op where he complains about how other people play their games like there is some unwritten rule. Like the only way to play a game is on the max difficulty and every story beat has to be treasured like a fart from the angels.

Who cares?

You.

Missing the point. I don't give a fuck how you play the game. Just don't bullshit me that you're some kind of pro when you cheesed the fuck out of it to win.

I doubt would claim to have beaten the game on a difficulty if he knowingly gave himself Neo-like reflexes by halving the game speed.

lol

this is basically most of early PC games ever. not that duke is like that but many games had to be played like that.

developers didn't care about balance or being able to beat the level in one sitting since you could just quicksave a lot, and they accounted for that.

the result is magnificent amount of trial and error or artifical difficulty in badly designed games like, for example, Messiah. and trying to beat a level from start to finish is absolute chore compared to games like Doom where each level were designed to be beatable from start to finish spawning with only pistol.

quicksaving was pretty much the preludium to the checkpoint cancer that prevents you from failing the level altogether

a steady breeze can destroy a mountain given enough time.

Yeah. You sure ain't cheating.

Yeah, I wouldn't brag about beating a game on slow mode or whatever, just saying I'd rather win because the game gave me more reaction time than the game just let me get hit way more. Slightly facetanking everything isn't even slightly cool, but having super speed reflexes so everything seemed slow to you would be awesome, every game should have optional bullet time in place of other forms of lowered difficulty if you ask me.

What if plate tectonics are still active in the area and gradually pushing that mountain up at least as fast as erosion is taking it down? A steady breeze only wins if it's the only active force at play.

That's not a rebuttal to my point retard.

You're contradicting yourself.

I know a lot of people on this board think quicksaves are a casual feature and shouldn't exist, but I have to disagree. So many developers lack basic competence these days that a frequent save option is necessary, if only to minimize the impact of bugs and crashes. For example, even if Fallout 4 had been worth playing, I still wouldn't do it on the Survival mode, because Beth games are so crash-prone that the inability to save would make it near-unplayable.
I would rather deal with idiots bragging about cheesed non-accomplishments than constantly have to run through the same areas making up progress lost to unavoidable bugs.

Besides, from a gameplay standpoint I don't think savescumming is necessarily always bad either. There are plenty of times I will repeatedly reload a save and try different approaches to a situation, comparing the effectiveness and outcomes. I personally don't even consider that savescumming, though plenty do.

The only people who do that have mental disabilities.
You have mental disabilities too if you take them seriously.

It's not just about the savescumming, it's about the fact that this kid had no skill at all. He sounds like he's just shit. Anyone can beat the hardest difficulty by quick saving/loading every few seconds. That is not an achievement of skill so much as one of patience.

OP is, as usual, a faggot.

99 or 2k4?
That's a pretty big difference because 2k4's Axon is a fucking nightmare i still can 30-0 him but that's not really saying much

Are there any games where savescumming is acceptable?

I'm considering a playthrough of Baldur's Gate and it seems that saving after every single encounter kind of eliminates the challenge and risk…

I think the absolute definite no-no's would be a racing game and a fighting game, but why are they unacceptable for saving mid-stage but something like an FPS or RPG is?

Any game that is prone to crashing. Also JRPGs because of random encounters and massive RNG involvement.
Basically, anything that overuses RNG and turns game into a russian roulette NKVD edition where there is five loaded chambers instead of one.

99, when I tried 2k4 lately I've discovered that it looks like I've never done it with 2k4 since I've got my shit pushed in hard.

shiggy

The same shit happen in League Of Legends, like "i'm op with this champ", then you play with him/her and feeds all the enemy team and we lost gggg.

Good point. Technically cheat codes are 'in game' tools. Saving is basically cheating.

Some people have no shame in always going for the easiest difficulty available.

Any game that allows you to savescum is badly designed.
It's just lazy, bad design.
Instead of making a proper mechanic for you dieing/failing, or making proper save locations/checkpoints, they just make nothing and make it so you have to load if anything wrong happens, might as well allow you to save anytime.
This makes penalties for you failures purely tied to how often you save.

This ruined Dragon's Dogma to me a bit.

Unless they're blatant cheats, such as ones in the old N64 007, yes, they are. Much like choosing easy difficulty to make the game easier, or even grinding to make your party stronger than it should be at a part, if the save system is there for you, you can use. If it's easily abusable to absurd results, it's just the game being shit.

Saving is not cheating, in most games you're even forced to save or you lose all progress if you die.

Define "blatant cheats".
Because for example game can provide a map editing tool with a possibility to insert a game ending trigger(like a script "change level credits.map"). So would that be cheating or not?

if i'm playing custom games in warcraft 3 i sometimes get salty at the undead and use cheats to give myself resources
that's about it though

user, what if you just refrained from savescumming, you know like anyone who actually enjoy a challenge would.

Would you limit saves, like typewriter ribbons in resident evil, or
have something like dedicated savepoints?

Lolno

Have a rank system which decreases you're overall grade the more you save.

Is EU4 savescumming allowed? I hate when I get 2 regencys in a row, I just have to sit on speed 5.

We need more games with DMC style turbo modes.

I think it would be much better to base any such score not on actual number of saves, but something like the average number of loads per level.
The act of saving itself is not savescumming, it's the repeated reloading until you get the outcome you want. If you save very frequently but almost never actually go back and reload, I don't see why that warrants penalization.
I would also go further and exclude loading from the main menu from that stat, since many short sessions versus one long one has nothing to do with savescumming.

Also did so. Don't remember much about '99.
But certainly did UT3(didn't play all that much though) and 2k4.
Damn I played that shit more than any other game in my life(UT2004) and enjoyed the fuck of it. Started since UT2003 which was like beta of 2k4 and ended when there was pretty much nobody to play with. Perhaps it was me who alienated some of the playerbase as matches often ended like 40:-3 and this with people who played a lot before and claimed that going to kick my ass. Back then i didn't think about their feelings or some shit.

Then kids started playing COD. It was COD4 at a time. I decided to give it a go. I played few matches and didn't really like it. There was spread, slow movement and other shit that made more random and less skill-based. But there was a room for a skill. So once we player 19 on 19, I went to make some tea and got back to see all my team is wiped and enemy is still like 12 ppl left. They rushed at me so i killed like 4 with a nade and wiped rest after flashing them. Some started to say that i'm cheating and that would be end. But next match I wiped out whole enemy team in like 30 sec, before any of my allies had a chance to get a frag, and was permabanned(for alleged cheating probably). At that point I felt like I finally completed the game anyway.

What am I trying to say is some people have memories of some actual achievements or first date or something. And we have this.

I was that kid. I used to say I was level 48 brigadier in halo 2 online, when I went over and played with a bunch of pro sponsored professionals they wiped the floor with me. I had carpal tunnel syndrome from playing so much and they bought it. I think I was like 13-14

They kept saying "Wow you can't even BXR gud, what a nub"

It was still very embarrassing and I never did it again

Blatant cheats like secret codes or anything the very game calls a cheat.
Top tier game if it doesn't count your score or changes stuff from the playthrough if you use them.

If you have to cripple yourself like that the challenge loses it's purpose. The game should challenge you to use your wits and use every mechanic available to you win. Just like games that allow you to cheese a otherwise challenging boss with some ridiculous backwards tactic, it's bad design. Doesn't make the whole game bad, but it's a bad thing in it.

You don't need to make the save count limited, but just make so that you can't save anywhere in the game, the game devs should design the spots for balanced saves that keep it fair while challenging. Top tier game if the game doesn't force you to load if you die, but rather gives you an acutal penalty and the game continues with your death.(like in dragon quest).

Best save system I've ever seen is in the dark souls games, autosave everything, npcs, item uses, deaths, what is done is done, every risk is real but you also don't have to do stuff all over again if you die without having to save all the time. That's what I like, at least.

That's not savescumming though. I can play an iron man game of Alpha Centauri and have the computer auto-save every turn or so in case of a crash. I won't be reloading those saves unless I quit the game or it crashes.

TBS games like X-Com use RNG. Savescumming those is ridiculous because you're essentially forcing the game to turn X% into 100% hit chance, which is stupid.

If you don't like RNG then don't play those kind of games. Rogue-lites also feature extensive RNG, but fortunately most don't allow you to savescum at all, strictly save on exit.

We definitely agree on that much. I'm not saying all RNG use ever is bad, it just depends on how much potential there is for one bad random number to totally screw you over, either via direct loss or putting you in such a bad place you have no chance of recovering. When that potential gets too high, it's not the game for me.

I wouldn't mind cheating on an RTS…provided if it's a counter to the AI cheating like a motherfucker.

All who have committed the sin of cheeseing may confess here and be absolved.

I beat Forced Conversion in Deadbolt by hiding in a vent as the clock ticked to zero, because I was too slow.

I was playing through Morrowind, and decided to give the Temple a go as a faction. I didn't realize that you could even get into Red Mountain without finish the Lion's Share of the story. When I realized I could, I beat the game. I gave myself noclip to get over one non-traversable hill, but use levitate potions I found in dungeons for the rest. I also gave myself the one glove that you're supposed to get from Vivec because I wasn't about to run back to him and kill him just to get one. Next time I play it, I'll go the back way proper, but I just became overwhelmed with a desire to beat the main game for once in my life.

Oh, and I also grinded out high stats using the Soul Trap exploit, but I do that every run. When it comes to The Elder Scrolls, I have a cheese addiction. Send help.

Shit like this is why you shouldn't say you're good at fighting games until you've played against other human players. Also,
Is there anything wrong with the Dreamcast version?

FUCK YOU ANDREW YOU SUCK

One thing I found to make MW a bit more fun is to pick at most two schools of magic, and outright never use any magic items that have effects outside of your chosen school. Or like, you pick Alteration and Destruction? Don't learn any other spells and never enchant items with other effects.

Alternatively, make about 4 custom spells with different functions and drawbacks and never cast anything else. Eg, I made an ice damage AOE that also lowers speed of the targets, but deals damage to me, etc.

fuck that boss. seriously.
Wasn't even his attacks that fucked me off it was the camera.

I suppose it balances out in that I beat awakened Alma 3rd try

Nearly stuck my fist through the screen.

its the only version you can play gill without hacking

I summoned to beat Bell Gargoyles, first and only summon in DSI
To this day they're the only boss I can't solo for some stupid reason

Whenever I play Harvesr Moon or Rune Factory I use to save and reload before sleeping such that it rained pretty much everyday except festival days

I abused the everloving shit out of tank traps & barbed wire to funnel the AI in Company of Heroes Blitzkrieg whenever possible. It's such a bastard about throwing itself into weak points that it couldn't know about that I couldn't manage otherwise against the harder AIs' buffed unit swarming otherwise, though I'm sure it's possible.

A guy at the place I work claims to of gone from Bronze 5 to Diamond 1 in League of Legends in 3 days.

If you ever played the game you should know how bullshit this is.

Back when I was a kid, I would never savescum. Then I accidentally killed Articuno in Pokemon Blue. Now I savescum all the time. Fuck the police.

Lying about something so unimportant is a good indicator that the guy is completely untrustworthy, so you should be thanking him internally for that. Also, you now also know he wants your approval/respect by trying to impress you.

on my first playthrough of Fallout NV, I used console command "movetoqt" for almost every quest

Hey bro I caught a gold Chimchar
I'm not lying bro