Religion Games that are good

What are some good games based on religion that actually utilize their doctrine in the narrative?

I think Devil Survivor (kinda?) and Digital Devil Saga are the only two I know.

DS1 is the only DS that matters

There really are none. And no, Japanese games about evil or spirits don't count. That's barely lip service. Japanese can't into organized religious systems of thought.

Sage so the thread goes away. I don't want fedoras and Christ-chan posters arguing while some hipster anons try to share their grade school tier opinions on various dogma and gods.

I've heard something along the lines of a SFC game called Granhistoria incorporating various religions into it, without calling them good or bad. Unfortunately, no one's apparently bothered with fan translating it for whatever reason.

Strange Journey has the whole noah's ark thing going on for it.
With its 3 endings you change the course of the "flood" or completely prevent it.

Most SMT games deal with freeing mankind from providence. Chaos Seed has a few Buddhist elements
FFX has its own fantasy religion which is an analogy of the catholic church

Well there are definitely none based on religions that are still alive besides small references like in diablo.
I mean it took entire world structure out of Christianity but it also didn't followed it much, so 0 following the doctrine here.

We actual have a lot of games that takes from religion but none of them take it, lets just say, seriously.

It is actually weird but Jap could be a place to start searching.
Just like we have no problems with making games based on dead ideologies like Greek or Norse gods, I have no idea how God of War managed to be example for both of them because they are dead and we can commit any sacrilege we want to.
However for most part in Japan all religions are more or less dead so they wouldn't have problems making some absurd evil spirits based on Christianity. Now to find such game with character that actually is following bible and we are done.

That said I have close to zero knowledge of jap games so I won't be of great help here.

Not really, no. I think there are a few crusades game but they never have you fighting actual Saracens, only demons or "corrupt" crusaders or the French/Spanish.

I guess fighting the french counts as fighting the Saracens huehuehuehue

Yeah. Granted that God/YHWH in the SMT games is usually a cunt, he seems reasonable at least as far as Remiel goes.

op said good.
learn to read you nigger

Morrowind is the only decent showing of religious anything in a video game ever.

How do sand people know what snow is?

The story started out like it wasn't going to be a Paradise Lost fan-fiction but then Kaido happened.

I wonder why no one mentions that in SMT:SJ both Jimenez and Zelenin basically lobotomized the rest of the crew in their respected routes.

movies

Also we have the incredibly rare hail, once it happened during our christmas and it was pretty comfy

Oh yeah. Last year I actually got hail in the middle of summer where I live so it makes sesnse.
Maybe the original Hebrew said "hail" instead of "snow"?

It's not really so much that religion is dead in Japan, it's more that religion is just reduced to more of a cultural thing, there are still plenty of devout Buddhists and Shintos in Japan who take their religion seriously and in fact dislike a lot of the modern pop and/or otaku culture. Like, when that one Tsunami happened, I think it was Abe or someone who got in trouble because he suggested that it was some wrath of God on the Japanese people for being greedy.

But a lot of the Japanese polls that say Japan is the most atheist are inaccurate because it's more that Japs just put down no religion but this doesn't necessarily correspond to a lack of belief in God or spirits.

With video games and anime, it's kind of just that these areas have developed a sort of chuuni subculture of writers who basically just google random shit and try to write a plot.

I think its because they let themselves be brainwashed in a way.

I always see it like this:
People chose Zelenin because she's the best Russian waifu in a JRPG, though she does sadly get ruined when she becomes a pop idol

People chose Jimenez because they either like edgey edges or because they liked the lil' demon bro or because they wanted to raise a flag with Hot Lucy

People chose Neutral route because they are manly men and know what a true friend is.

This always frustrates me, too. I can dig a conspiratorial plotline regarding the Crusades, but really? Not ONE where you are just a Christian dude who gives up everything to fight for the righteous cause and actually do it?

There's so much rich history to pull from but most game devs are Marxist drones today, and teh Japanese devs can't even bother to try looking at anything historical of Christianity. They can't even open a Bible and see what it says most times, just writing off things from what they've picked up through osmosis. It's why most anime which incorporates even vague Christian imagery is so insanely confused, if not utterly retarded.

Didn't Morrowind have its own religion, though?
It's not as difficult as using source material.

Sounds interesting!
oh

Wasn't there a good Lucasarts inspired adventure based on the Book of Mormon?

I'd like a game more like DS1 or DDS where the source material is given a neutral stance, if not outright respect.
Not admiration or preaching, just respect.

I know a lot of games with Church-like organizations which ALWAYS turn evil in the end because

I heard El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron wasn't half bad. Based on Judeo-Christian fanfiction, but not bad.

Why IS that? Don't they have Shintoism or something?

Don't the Japanese have a pagan system of their own? I only ever see it toyed with in their media though, mostly as loli manifestations.

I've noticed that too. It gets especially awful when they pull things like Asura's Wrath or this abomination here

Oh, look, the only SMT game ever that actually gave YHVH some sort of characterization beyond "huge asshole" and has probably the best Law route in the series.

And also best Law waifu.

Inquisitor

Well, somehow. You're an Inquisitor after all but spend most time hunting and fighting demons than spreading the word of the Lord.

Its the only one I can think of besides E.V.E

You mean the game where the Devil, "god of this age" and "king of the air" is some hipster douche with a cellphone?

The one with the GQ jean pants commercial protagonist?

I know nothing about it aside from those elements. Did it go anywhere?

Overclocked vaguely ruined it with the additional "8th Day" thing, which I still haven't played because the original story of DS1 was great on its own. Additions only ruined things. But yeah.

Refined taste

how the fuck do you take religion seriously in a videogame?

Wait what?? HAhaha

We can have a game where I play as an inquisitor but be based demon slayer, but stars forbid we have a game where we play as a crusader that isn't all about demonizing the Crusades.

I disagree, The Law 8th day is fairly okay
Chaos gets more of course, the devs are chaosfags
In LAW-8th you teach the angels about Repentance and that how to reform people without killing them

Who is best angel why is it Remiel?
SMTIV:APO ruined everything

All I know is that DDS is Hindu, The original SMT games are a take on the Old Testament where God has gone bizonkers, and Persona is based on modern day humanism, as in the human consciousness is what causes miracles and we're the ones who create the gods and shit (Nyx being a manifestation of the human death wish, Izanami being a being who tries to serve man but fails, Nyarlathotep, being a Lovecraft creation, IS part of humanity in that he's human malice given form, etc etc) with shit from Greek myth, I think.

But it's not the main focus, and just uses the themes from the religious works (DDS uses that wheel of life shit and reincarnation, SMT uses rebellion as a theme).

shit like that.

are there games where they demonize the crusades?

in the end game:

It's not hard and wouldn't be stale or dull to use even Christianity as the basis for a vidya and take it seriously, but certain folk would rather you think Christianity is dumb, boring and old-hat and that all religion is empty of meaning or interest to be taken seriously.

>In LAW-8th you teach the angels about Repentance and that how to reform people without killing them

Wait, REALLY?!
I now have a reason to replay the Law route of Devil Survivor. I'm down for that!

Because Remiel acts the most like an actual angel.

I like how in the Neutral route everyone is shocked that Remiel is willing to help them anyway, and Remiel's response is basically

I also like his ascot

SMTIV ruined everything to begin with. Strange Journey was the legit SMTIV until the Japanese got uppity it wasn't set in Tokyo, and then SMTIV came in with demonic looking archangels and Black Squidward Lucifer.

APO just took the crap stick and ran with it

Fallen Crusade and Dante's Inferno come to mind immediately.

lewd!

It would be more fun just playing as Jesus and cleansing the world with holy fire.

cant find shit about that, only some WOW stuff

Hahaha! Perversion of the highest order
OH! I'm so stupid! I completely missed this part, yeah.

I can dig this.

I meant "The Cursed Crusade"
Just look at the art cover alone, let alone teh story itself.

Well, there's the Stronghold games, every other game has Crusaders somewhere, usually removing kebab

Ah, I didn't know about those. I'm new to PC gaming so I have no idea about these kinds of titles.

no surprise, they aren't as good as AoE2 for example.

El Shaddai was a chaotic mess of a story, which actually reflected the original material (The Book of Enoch) it was based on fairly well. It was weird, surreal, visually beautiful and is overall quite fascinating.

Shame about the rather simple combat, it really is a game more focused on style over substance. Worth checking out.

watched a video which explains the story, its fucking retarded, but it said that the knight its cursed because his ancestors were assholes and he wants to get uncursed
couldnt keep watching the rest.

Exactly, also one of the Crusader leaders is evil and other garbage

I suppose it would make sense they took from apocrypha

Really, no Xenogears? The one that's basically all about mostly Gnosticism? Or did the shitty second disc scare you off of it? Because disc 2 is really bad and I blame FF8.

I don't know about Xenosaga because I didn't bother with much of it, and Xenoblade did it's own different thing, so that doesn't count.

sounds fucking awesome nigger

Go play Xenogears if you want to get redpilled on organized religions.

Milo Tosser exists.

Edgelord Christianity is best Christianity.

Go be autistic about your favourite book somewhere else.

I had no idea I could win arguments by crossing out everything that I don't want to deal with and pretending to be witty

go back to reddit, i heard dawkins is there doing an ama

Playing alphabet soup with that image is even more autistic than the image itself, congratulations fedoras.

Strawmans and political cartoons aren't arguments, user. The first pic was mixing the Big Bang and evolution theories and calling them 'Atheism', of which the dictionary definition I circled. You might as well have
and it'd be just as retarded.

FUCK YOU LUCIFEL YOU LITTLE FUCK

demons in the smt verse come from human consciousness too

but user, we are just star dust

That's what Satan wants you to believe.

maybe, lets see if we see the end of the world, if not, oh well, it was a nice ride

Yeah, I'm really not sure why it hasn't really been picked up. It sounds interesting to me, between the focus on religion and making a better future, but maybe people have thought "not another SFC time travel JRPG" or something? Or maybe it's actually not that good? I have no idea.

Behold, I come bearing relative information

I think few people know about it, or maybe it has a lot of text/complicated text. That's what kept Fate/exrtra CCC coming to the West, though that's definitely not the kind of game this thread mentions

This actually looks pretty cool…maybe.
Are you sure the game doesn't WE WUZ David or his soldier bros?

I'm not sure, I've had it in my wishlist for a while now.

But I looking into it and people say it's pretty accurate , dunno