System Shock Thread

Time for a new shock thread.
Post your favorite:

Mechanically, I think that SS1 was better than SS2 because of the depth of weapon control and the availability of ammunition. Being able to decide the power of your weapon's blast made the electric and laser weapons much more useful against a wider range of enemies than the ones in SS2. The supply of ammo let you actually use your guns as your main tool for the whole game, but made you want to conserve ammo, making the pipe a fallback weapon (By the end of SS2 you already have 200+ shotgun shells and 60+ grenades, regardless of difficulty. You also need the skill points to actually use the weapon, which makes lots of them useless if you don't have the points.
Time for a new shock thread.
What are your favorite:

Mechanically, I think that SS1 was better than SS2 because of the depth of weapon control and the availability of ammunition. Being able to decide the power of your weapon's blast made the electric and laser weapons much more useful against a wider range of enemies than the ones in SS2. The supply of ammo let you actually use your guns as your main tool for the whole game, but made you want to conserve ammo, making the pipe a fallback weapon (By the end of SS2 you already have 200+ shotgun shells and 60+ grenades, regardless of difficulty. You also need the skill points to actually use the weapon, which makes lots of them useless if you don't have the points.

The wait for SS3 continues.

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/games/citadel
systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8402.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does the enhanced version of SS1 change anything drastic?

I have the Steam version of SS2, but I know there is also a cool unofficial patch that got released a while ago. Does the Steam version us it? If not, can it be applied to the Steam version?

I've never tried these.
I enjoyed Ultima Underworld 1&2 and Bioshock 1 & Infinite, are System Shock on the same level?
(Probably Infinite doesn't fit in here)

SS1 was far better than 2 but its early 3D design likely makes it unapproachable for most cancer today.

It's basically just a pack of two mods: mouselook and higher resolution. Also runs natively in windows, so there's that if you can't run dosbox or whatever.

Also forgot to mention my biggest qualm with EE is they missed an opportunity to offer the amazing Mac OST in options.

No, it doesn't. And yes, use it. You could just read Steam guides or forum to understand that. Come on, m8.

System Shock is way better than Bioshock.

The laser rapier for the first. The grenade launcher from the second is pure sex.
Anything to go fast.
Executive from the first and recreation for the second.
Either hacker that gets good at almost everything through extra exp or psyonic.
The second.

If you want Ultima Underworld the first one should be your choice. Bioshock is more like the second, but in a really bare bones way. SS2 makes Bioshock look really lame. I'd always strongly recommend playing the first System Shock before the second.

also why are there two of these threads in the catalog?

When I submitted the thread I got a cloudflare error, dunno what the issue is. It's been like this since the full integration.

Is there anything that the cd version has that enhanced doesn't?

nah i'm just a purest fag who likes to play games how they were originally released, and the cd version supported higher resolution.

also i'm not a pleb that needs mouse look

Sir you left your fedora and your neckbeard at the door when you signed in.

The mouse look has to be turned on by pressing f if I remember correctly. You can play it without the entire game. I remember in portable you could disable all of the mods.

Nah, you press E. Honestly, there's no reason not to use mouselook, because your alternative is to slowly and clunkily pan the camera around with the keys.

The enhanced edition also includes the original unedited game.

The way the mouselook works is similar to the "interact" mode of the first game, but it turns the camera and is locked in the center of the screen. You press e to toggle between mouselook and interact, which is honestly a great system. You can also remap to use the original look keys, and not use the cursor.

If mice had been more popular when these older games were released there would have been mouselook. There is no reason not to have mouselook, it makes everything so much more enjoyable, not to say that look keys are bad, but in an open 3D FPS they really are better.

It wasn't mouse popularity, it was that it took a while for the idea of mouselook to be established. Early mouse games had movement on both the X and Y axis. Even Quake 1 didn't initially have mouselook on by default.

Thanks, I remember now. It's been a while since I played portable. I think the game is more enjoyable with mouselook.

but it wasn't the game would probably be horrible unbalanced, because the devs didin't take mouselook into account, but i haven't really played it so i can't make that assumption, wheres the best place to get the enhanced edition?

I like the Phaser. I'd carry around a bunch of batteries just so I could keep using it on a stupidly high setting.

Is it system shock or bioshock the one that shares the same universe with gone homo?

Bioshock probably.

First time playing /ss/.

How the fuck do I change the controls? There's no in game control settings and changing it from the notepad file is pretty difficult. Any mod for it?

Anyone have that image that compares the level designs from SS1 all the way up to Infinite?

i just downloaded the enhanced edition, where the fuck is the music.

why is it so hard to discuss this game without the thread dying within ours.

basmp

Isn't it midi music? It's always a bitch to make that work, especially on linux.

Reminder that this is a thing.

w-w-w-what's that?!

Should I actually play ss2 or get the first one and play through that?

The remake of the first system shock being done by Night Dive Studios

SS2 is probably the easier one to get into, but if you want the story to be complete you should probably play the first game before the second.

The reason why mouse look is added in enhanced edition is because it's better.

Finally a way to play the first system shock without having to fuck around for three hours trying to get all the colors to not be neon red and white.

It's still going to be good, surely.

Higher resolution, mouselook, native Windows EXE with Direct3D.

If you hook in something like Reshade too, since it's D3D (if you are a light touch with the settings you can get some good results).

are you sure you're not confusing it with the other fan project remake (which I honestly want more)

moddb.com/games/citadel

Reminder that Night Dive has the source code and still haven't released it.
systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8402.0

Only played SS1 I'm kinda sad I saved up all my superweapon ammo and never used it in the game. I can't download it for free online anymore since GOG took down the site that was able to download it

fixed it for you

Hmm. Now that is interesting.

Of course we can't rely on them releasing the source code. But…if they did…that wouldn't just affect SShock. Pic very much related.

SS2 has a lot of modern game cancer. Immersion breaking tutorial shit and handholding everywhere, the first part of the game tries to pretend it's a survival horror game and you'll have no ammo and the mobs respawn anyway, the skill system is so broken that you'll never get to use most of the weapons you find unless you used a guide or played it before, and it doesn't have the atmosphere of the first game.

Once we have the source we could make a modernized controls version of SS1 and everyone would agree it is the objectively better game.

Nigger, you should play System Shock just to see what a dogshit casual series Bioshock really is.