Abandoned Vidya / Scam Artist Devs

What are some games that have been released recently that were shortly abandoned by the devs before the game was even completed?

Stuff like Towns, Gnomoria and Mr. Shitface's Spacebase DF-9.

You know of any other games that were dropped and the devs ran off with the money? Did you buy it? What's her name Holla Forums? With the advent of Early Access I'm sure this has to be a rather long list by now.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/gamegrumps/comments/3cgyrp/whats_this_about_the_new_kings_quest_being_made/
kickstarter.com/projects/475057068/frog-fractions-2
mindmeister.com/657363408?t=T2QuVC6xXt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

StarForge

Steam EA, Halo-esque aesthetic, crafting/building shit with FPS elements. At one point, devs abandoned all of their lofty 'plans' for 'it's done now' with shit like a bug where all of the stuff you build just randomly disappears left in the game. All criticism of their jewry was then deleted or ignored.

And it's still on the store too. Fucking shit.

just starbound. To be fair I thought it was sequel to terraria.

With a disabled discussion forum, to boot. Can't have the goyim knowing, and all. Besides, it'd be old news. They're on to their next scam now, 'Reign of Kings'. A game which reuses the engine of their first scam.

Ok. I'll ask again later.

come again? Please tell me how Gnomoria relates to such train wrecks like towns or spacebase or what makes it a scam. Did something happen recently that i didnt notice? Havent looked at the game in a while but ive liked it so the dev turning out to be a kike and running with the money would be a shame.

They pretty much did exactly what the Towns dev did. Removed it from Early Access without upholding most of the promises they made. It's still buggy as shit and they haven't updated it since.

CUBEWORLD UPDATE WHEN?

Project Zomboid
Godus

It's a shame that game got abandoned. It was actually really fun, and pretty comfy looking.

Seriously? Fuck. I had no idea.

Are you sure? They're still making posts, updates and shit on the discussions and it's still getting all positive reviews.

Never did never will. I dont pledge kickstarter or even preorder. If there's a free demo I'll try it out, but I'll buy a game I'm interested in only if it's completed and ready for sale.

It is still 'active', but let's talk about appropriate time frame to finish a game.

I bought Zomboid back in 2011 for 10 bucks. Honestly, over 5 years, nothing much has changed. Sure there is now multiplayer, lots of graphical improvements and optimization. But what about game play? Beyond the first couple of days where you have to survive and scavenge, then go straight to farming, there is not much game play.
Even Catalyst:DDA with furfags at the steering wheel has more content and that game has 0 cost and open source, if one is inclined to care about that. At least there I can raid a lab, drink all of the mutant potions and turn into some horrible extremely fast metabolism monster that can't eat meat. Or deal with the late game threats of fungals.

In Zomboid, there are hordes and mobs that attack your farm once in a while, rest of the time, you farm. Exciting!

I will say however, multiplayer in Zomboid is very fun when you find the right group to play with and split up the various jobs, build mega bases and what not.

Still, took them 5 years to do that. By this rate, the game will be finished in 2050. I have had my $10 worth of fun in the game, but my final review would be to either way or buy a bundle with your friends.

Then again, they did get their hardware stolen (or so they claim) back in 2013, along with the source code (who the fuck doesn't carry backup of their game!?). So maybe it was because they had to redo the game? I don't know, I didn't look enough into it. Just saying, 5 years, little to show for it.

Dev went off to make a sequel shortly leaving early access after despite the massive issues and broken promises of the first game.

Technically still being worked on but at an appallingly slow rate. We STILL can't limit the rotation of our steering couplers resulting in vehicles tearing themselves into pieces sometimes. Overall part types is only slightly more than when the game first launched. The singleplayer, while neat is largely unfinished. None of these would be an issue but they crank out a silly small update only every few months.

Wew.

I'm gonna hijack this shit for a moment and ask a retarded question:

I just pirated Subnautica and got real autistic with it for a couple of days until the content ran out, which was fun, but now I've acquired a taste for half-finished early access shit of preferably an "okay" or better quality as a result. Anyone know of any other shit that of at least the same quality as that I could pirate, if not better/entertainingly-shit?

In any case, I'm not giving anybody a fucking dime for something that ain't out yet, I'm no fool.

The Stomping Land

I don't know why this piece of shit never gets brought up.

At least this one doesn't seem to be on the steam store anymore. I wish Valve would be more on top of these scams instead of just accepting money for bullshit. There has to be some kind of accountability.

Nah man, you throw any consumer rights down the drain when you signed that agreement nobody read during account creation.

How about Star Citizen? Still too "early" to tell?

Let us not forget The Odd Gentlemen, who swindled Andrew Hussie out of his Kickstarter money:
reddit.com/r/gamegrumps/comments/3cgyrp/whats_this_about_the_new_kings_quest_being_made/

Same camp as Project Zomboid in my opinion.

Shit takes forever to get anywhere. Who knows, in the year 3000 Star Citizen may be the greatest game known to man and with all of the money funded by good go- I mean players, Chris will live forever as a head in a jar.

I paid $10 for Zomboid and got my worth out of it. Those people that paid $17k, life savings for virtual goods that can't be delivered until sometime in the future? I'm surprised Chris ain't selling sand in Sahara with those kind of skills.

Killing floor 2 goes past abandoned by devs into the realm of devs that are so petty and pathetic they would destroy their own games to spite their player bases.
The very first iterations of the EA game were created by an entire group of people who no longer work for the company, now the remnants of the company are hanging around completely failing to understand what made the game good, and every time they tweak something in a worse direction and the community hates them for it, they go
They don't even hide it anymore that they are actively sabotaging the game since they got enough out of the early access scam to fund their new VR scam.

What a fucking joke.

you might hate the game but it's not anything i'd called abandoned. technically speaking it isn't feature complete, but you could realistically stop all development on it now and call it done if you wanted to. they added the sharpshooter class just yesterday from what i read on here.

I'll be honest, I bought it (well not really, my friend got it for me to play with him) played it and enjoyed it. I can still get enjoyment out of it, most of which comes from just being fucking better than 70% of the playerbase and outperforming the scrubs. Strictly in terms of ONLY the gameplay, I'm fine with it; but way back when, when my friend got it for me, I told him straight up "even if the game is fine, these devs are turning to shit, fast. look at all these things they did, they're drinking the SJW koolaid more and more," and I showed him the thing in the KF2 EULA that basically says "we reserve the right to stop you from playing the game for doing anything we don't like." As in, boot players from the game for saying problematic things, for example. as it turns out, fortunately, they haven't ever used it in that way, but the fact that such a fucking thing is there is still a HUGE red flag. My friend didn't really buy into what i was telling him and said that this EULA condition wasn't a big deal. Fast forward to yesterday's thread about the rockabilly SJW character being introduced, I showed that to him and he just said "great, everyone's going full retard these days" and I got to tell him that i told him so like a year ago.

subnautica is tons of fun and the atmosphere i great, even if half finished. no joke, going into the deep ocean where i can't see anything is scarier and more unsettling than any "horror" game i've played.

Agreed, it's the only thing from Early Access that's both still in that bottomless money pit and of a good quality that I've played. Everything else I've seen or tried has been either complete trash that's better off dying in that shekel farm, or a game made by competent people on its way to release (i.e. Shovel Knight, Shantae) that only jumped in to get free extra cash and hype while it was a fresh concept, before getting the fuck out of that hellhole ASAP.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm paranoid the devs will go full kike the moment I give them my precious shekels for it, as happened to me a few times before I got wise to the scam in the pre-greenlight days, I'd blow a decent lunch's worth of cash on buying it and only it, before swearing to never purchase another Early Access thing again because that one-in-a-million chance of finding a genuinely-good E-A game sure as fuck won't ever come by again.

yeah i would say pirate it until (if) they fully release it.

While we're on the subject of the handful of games that ever pulled through what EA was intended for, Grim Dawn is absolutely fantastic. A Diablo 2 spiritual successor that has everything you would expect and more. It's not in early access anymore and is actually fully released, but the devs behind the game clearly knew what the fuck they were doing, made good progress the entire time, and managed to fully release a game that's polished, fun, has tons of customization options for characters and replay value, and overall is simply a phenomenal game you could get tons of hours of play from.

Project Zomboid is still being developed, slowly, but still. That doesn't mean you have to like it or what the devs are doing, but that's not what this thread is about. Now DayZ and WarZ/Infested/Big Rigs:Zombie Editon are literal scams.

I want a Hardy Boys adventure game, LucasArts-style. I loved those books.

Meant to quote

Dayz is still being worked on though. Which is why its got such a massive beta going now for the next update.

Really? I just checked the Steam page and every recent review is raging about the slow/non existent development.

It's about the resistances for me honestly, the SJW character is just more bullshit. The gameplay WAS good, and that's why I'm saying this is an active sabotage, go and play it and see for self. Shoot a bloat in the head with .500 magnum it survives, shoot a stalker in the face with your DBS and it lives because it has 75% resistance to shotguns. A fucking STALKER which use to be trash is now as tanky as a mid tier zed like a husk to every class but the commando because they want the game to be rock paper scissors garbage.

wait, what? they gave fucking firearms resistances to zeds? you have to be fucking kidding me. the only resistance that ever existed was explosive resistance to scrake and fire resistance to husk.

that sounds like a fucking horrendous concept, i hope you're trolling

kickstarter.com/projects/475057068/frog-fractions-2

Nope, and to further drive home just how retarded it is, here's the worst example.
Crawlers always gave firebugs bonus xp and they were their hard counter , but they are now 100% resistant to fire. They can't even keep their own rock paper scissor shit straight, it's a bad joke.

good fucking god, you're right, that studio is burning the fuck down
what in christs name is happening over there, this is like spray painting graffiti on a competently carved statue, holy shit

I've read that it's actually further along in development than fucking DayZ. It allegedly has features that make it fun. I've seen people say that here and on the steam forums. I remember the webm's and jokes back on cuckchan when this first came out but this seems to have something going for it. Or have the devs dropped it again? It's been awhile since I've seen anyone even mention it but that was the general consensus months and months ago.

They are quite transparent about their intentions too, I'm sure it is a coincidence that the commando is the most popular class, and that the assault rifles have 5 times more skins than any other guns, and that they are the least effected by resistance changes.

i'm scrolling my way through steam discussions right now
sounds like firebug (my favorite class) is practically useless now, there's absolutely no reason to ever choose it anymore. It was ALREADY highly limited, really only useful for early-mid waves and for racking up cash stores, but now it seems like it only exists to give an extra challenge to players who are masochistic (as if shitty teammates weren't enough to already do that).

Didn't one of the co-founders or lead developers or whatever bail on DayZ because everyone just played it as a shitty deathmatch and that's all they wanted balancing for?

Terraria lost its spriter to Starbound prior to the latter being released. It's one of the two reasons that Redigit stopped making Terraria after 1.1.

eternal crusade, not really abandoned but went from a 40k planetside to space marine multiplayer made by indies

mindmeister.com/657363408?t=T2QuVC6xXt

Do the Postal devs even do anything these days? Only things I've heard from them is pro-gg attitudes, rereleasing Postal 2 and some swipes like this at the faggots.

It completely evaporated from the map not even Holla Forums remembers this.

Fucking Earth's Special Forces. Played the original mod a ton, found out they were making an upgraded remake with fucking crazy tech still running on goldsource and got hype as all hell.

It's been over a decade now. Updates have stopped and there is no sign of them finishing the fucking thing. The worst thing is they refuse to just release what they have done and just sit on it with the "When it's done :^)" excuse.

I just wanted to play the game.

They've released Postal 1 redux couple of weeks back.

Kinetic Void is another title the devs worked on, then suddenly decided to fuck off and run saying the game was "done" despite having numerous bugs with it. The fact I bought those two games on EA is the reason I don't do EA anymore.

Subnautica is unique in the Early Access Indie arena - the devs release large updates on a monthly basis, the game in its half-finished state is fun and compelling, and it doesn't seem to be exploding from the seams with SJWism.

I backed this for a few bucks. The kikestarter update one day just said "half the dev team quit and shit is all fucked…but we're still going to try!"

I thought at least nips probably have some work ethic, but I was wrong. I was so wrong.

I didn't back it myself but I'm still super disappointed that Unsung Story turned out to be a scam. I'm a big Yasumi Matsuno fan and FFT/A, Vagrant Story and Tactics Ogre are some of my favourite games of all time, and I'd had high hopes for the project because of that, and because his name was attached to it.

It looks almost completely dead in the water, though. Disillusioning.

Miner Wars 2077 was the original early access scam AFAIK. Still salty.

How about abandoned vidya that was resurrected, but the living corpse is such an abomination that you realize it should have stayed dead and you no longer feel bad about it being abandoned?

These two are my favourites.

Confederate Express($39k):

Yogventures($567k):

Ah yes. That yogscast shit. I remember that, i can't believe people backed a game based off a YouTube shitshow.

What about them is so compelling that a game had to be made about them?

It was abandoned by the original team and then picked up by some talentless hacks to limp to release.

Don't expect anything good out if it, and its a shame too because it was supposed to be a successor to that smurf marine game.

They wanted to cash in on the minecraft craze. Their demo video was a joke.

I'm not sure anyone here can explain that. Their claim to fame is Minecraft videos, which are mainly popular with very young audiences. This doesn't explain the Kickstarter getting funded though, since that takes a credit card.

Not so much abandoned as it is vapourware. Story mode is never ever.

the greatest thing about Yogscast was that they showcased it at E3 that year

Thinking about it, we didn't hear much about Shenmue 3 either..

Shekels

What about games that were abandoned due to lack of money to continue development?

March of War was pretty fun.

Ayo, so my friend was actually friends with the lead dev CanadaZerg (or whatever his name was). Apparently someone fucked his finances and did a cut and run with the money on Starforge or something like that, so he had my sympathy.

However, said friend is a furry with lots of vore/snuff fetishes, whatever. Anyways, despite being friendly acqauntainces, CanadaZerg did this whole moralfag "It's against my religion to be friends with blah blah blah" shit and removed him (I know how my friend is, he's actually real downplayed and chill on his furshit when he wants to be), so I get the feeling the dev ended up being a massive crazy cunt for no reason.

Incidentally, I think I still have a gift copy of it in my inventory.

It's more of a spiritual successor to Titan Quest than Diablo 2.

Same devs and engine as TQ.

Why is that even a thing
Who buys this crap

Starbound is up there.