RTS Thread

Time for an RTS Thread anons. Thread theme is about RTS games with great artillery.

Other urls found in this thread:

hiveworkshop.com/threads/the-future-of-warcraft.277296/
hiveworkshop.com/threads/developer-interview-campaign-designer-david-fried.279851/
hiveworkshop.com/threads/world-domination.262706/
cnc-online.net/
cncnet.org
youtube.com/watch?v=BaRhK7EvgfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JAyGbj-1t8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=a4htJV6cmb0
youtube.com/watch?v=Cynj9EZybCQ
twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?731998-Announcement-Europa-Barbarorum-2-2a-is-released!&s=150fede6ae5eea7c8357fb4f35787028
twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Europa-Barbarorum-(EB)
youtube.com/watch?v=coGpmA4saEk
xwis.net/forums/
xwis.net/game-account/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So anons got round to playing Giggty Goo and holy fuck it is boring as hell. So remarkably average it's tedious.

There was nothing quite as priceless as imagining the face of an Earth 2150 newbie who thought himself untouchable behind several rows of towers and pillboxes, only to have both bombed to kingdom come by UCS Mechs with Heavy Grenade Launchers.

The Grenade Launcher tech was awfully underappreciated in general. Everyone always and inevitably went plasma and rockets.

kek what an ass rape

Name me a RTS with an alive multiplayer, that is not:

I'm considering AoE2 but it's pretty hard and everyone and their mom is playing turkshits there.

There are some active niche mods for C&C Generals, also the same goes for Men of War Assault Squad 2.

The HD Edition of Age of Empires II still has a semi-decent multiplayer community from what I've heard. That is, if you game doesn't crash or desync halfway through the match.

Dawn of Craft Alert: Yuri Goo Aggression

SupCom: Forged Alliance
Get on Forged Alliance Forever. Jump in with average joes.

I have it, but I am somwhat dissatisfied with it.
People wall off everything early, build up economy and throw knights with siege stuff at you.
Or jannisars that are ridiculously OP.

You can't hope to do much to walls early since they are pretty tough. It just doesn't feel like the combat strategy I want it to be.

Aren't they mostly dead ?

Holy shit. Installing.

Like I said, mods like Rise of the Reds have small communities to go with them. Men of war is living and breathing greatly with an amazing modding community.
If you want a really active community though I'd follow what is saying, SCFAF is always alive.

They actually already nerfed walls via longer build times. Plus, even if they build up walls, why not abuse this by denying them any resources outside of them? The game does allow for rushing if you do it right, but it's not the only exclusively tactic.

How about Company of Heroes 2?

Company of Heroes 1

Why would you play that abomination?

Red Alert 1 had good artillery before they fixed the grenadier bug.
Make some grenadiers, tell them to throw somewhere in their range, and while they're in their throwing animation, tell them to attack anywhere else. The grenades will fly there, even if it's all the way across the map.

Cycle through all of the possible spawns and if you see swearing in the chat, you'll know they're there.

Why not? Judging by the most recent matches that I've seen, it improved.

Eastern Fronts honestly does what COH2 does but a lot better.

Sell me on Eastern Front. What it does better than CoH 2? Genuinely curious, because couldn't find any comprehensible descriptions or more recent videos of it.

World in Conflict is top tier for arty
Men of War series is pretty good too

Better selection/more accurate selection of units. Panzer motherfucking III's! Genuinely better balance. Germans have option to literally salvage any tank on the field and reuse them as their own.

Also surprisingly a fuckton more customization upgrades, even adds in more units for existing factions.

Perhaps the best thing about it though is that it's no longer really 1941/42 Russians vs 1944 Germans. Both sides progress from 42-45 era so you don't feel like "WTF? Why am I stuck with T-34/76's vs Tiger II's? Where's my T-34/85's?" and other weird bullshit like that.

Warcraft 3.

I'd know, I still fucking play it.
I don't think it will ever die, even if they actually made WC4.

Just a quick question, any anons save the RTS tier chart?

Fuck, you got me there. I'm still salty over this. Why anyone at Relic thought that this was a good idea? Was this done to reinforce "le human wave tactics" maymay?

Too bad World in Conflict is dead. Though men of war is pretty fuggin great.

It's actually quite nice to see that there's still so many people playing it.

Though I fear most of them are bots hosting DOTA games

It's mainly cause Relic are actually massive Wehrboos. They didn't just do it to the Russians.

The US Forces in the Battle of the Motherfucking Bulge no less in COH2 get equipment from 1943! Fighting against Germans with shit from late 44 and even 45!

To put it in perspective, during the Battle of the Bulge the US had gotten rid of it's 75mm Howitzers in Europe and had them all at 105mm or better! Their AT Gun were all 76mm's not the 57mm's. Plus over half the Shermans had 76mm guns, it was rarer to find one with a 75mm! Plus the M24 Chaffee debut was the Bulge so it should have replaced the Stuart Light Tank.

You could tell that the screams of Wehrboos when the Brits came was more for the fact they were fighting a faction from 1945 like they were living in instead of fighting obsolete shit.

I'm surprised Holla Forums isn't drooling all over this game. I mean, the plot was literally "ebil gommies being ebil gommies and your protagonist is (((only sane man)))".

Fuck I love this game.
The artillery is top tier. Nothing quite like shelling some robe jockeys and their stupid floating tin cans.

Wouldn't be surprised, they attributed a lot of shit the Germans did to the Russians as shit the Russians did to the Russians.

Quite literally you burn civilians out of their homes in the first few missions as Panzer IV H models storm down the road in a mission set in 1941.

Most of the custom games are made by bots, which is shit because it clutters the damn list (not to mention that all of them are usually empty).
The grand majority of people only play ranked games because of that.

The bots aren't as numerous as you think, but it would help with custom maps if blizz did something about them.

Gotta love historic revisionism.

Why a closet nazi would want to play any battle after 1943 is beyond me. I mean at the Ardennes offensive the Germans got slaughtered after the weather cleared, they didn't even have any fuel left to make it to Antwerp no matter what happened. The allies had vowed to fight the Germans untill their unconditional surrender.

Well you got to remember user, according to history the Nazi's had 6 gorillion Tiger Tanks and were posed to strike from their moon base using their space alien allies to invade New York with flying saucers! :^)

Got to love the History Channel at times

Guys, there are news Blizzard are trying to curb the bot spam hard for the next WC3 update. Also it's seems there's a chance of WC3 moving to battle.net 2.0 which means authentication with a slim possibility of simplified hosting without all that port nonsense.

There's not much concrete info so far, that's all we've got so far:
hiveworkshop.com/threads/the-future-of-warcraft.277296/

Also if you like me enjoy WC3 level design you might like this interview:
hiveworkshop.com/threads/developer-interview-campaign-designer-david-fried.279851/

Are they still planning to re-release it with upgraded graphics?

age of empires III, on gameranger. It's got a bunch of fun modes, including colloseum that's a lot more tactical (unless you play portugal and insta-win at 1000 kills) it strips economy out of the game, and turns it into a contest of killing as many units while keeping your units alive. Also, AOEIII's gameplayer is a lot easier in multiplayer (as far as I know)

i've been playing warcraft 3 custom games recently
why the fuck are the undead so overpowered
when the gold mines run out, if i'm still alive, the undead are still pulling infinite resources out of their asses

also, just a heads up, 50 percent of all players are fucking turkroach kids

even though i'm making a TBS game, i find it hard to nail down balance issues in RTS's unless they're very obvious. Why are the undead in your opinion overpowered?

No info on that, but it's very unlikely. They seem to be content with WC3 visual side as it is now, plus there's a lot of models to recreate and they only remastered them for a Starcraft 2 mod adding all the old WC3 assets to SC2 for modders.

Here's my favorite WC3 map at themoment:
hiveworkshop.com/threads/world-domination.262706/
It has some Supreme Commander-esque economy system mixed with zone control, has both AI and multiplayer support, and allows you to summon Cthulhu or start a zombie apocalypse for laughs.

IIRC they only added upgrades models to promote the Starcraft II Map Editor.

well, once they get frost wyrms, i'm fucked since they stop my towers
they also seem to swarm me the easiest since ghouls cost close to nothing, and necromancers can make skeletons, while the rest of their units are too beefy/fly
and the fucking dreadlord hero constantly makes my units fall asleep

It's disappointing.

I don't know how to fell about it, I don't expect it to have a better balance than SC2,and it doesn't seem very original unit design-wise.

Have you seen the new WoW models they spewed out of their asses?
They look abysmal.

Nice.

Not nice.
Besides, you already need to authenticate the game on their website to even create an account in the game itself.
What more do they want?

There's your problem.

Cancel sleep by ordering one unit to attack the affected hero.
That's it.

Towers are great for keeping the enemy out of your base if he doesn't have any siege weapons, but you can't expect them to do much more than slow them down.

What race are you playing?

i've mostly tried human/orc since they seem to have the best defenses

Seems kind of neat. The sort of innovation Starcraft actually needs. Don't think its going take off like that 'Starport' didn't.

Wunderwaffen!

The Germans made some fantastic things but if you don't have have the production capacity to build them it's pointless.

That's all nice and dandy but has shit all to do with balance.
Just because 57mm was shit irl doesn't mean it's shit in game.

Maybe you faction fanboys wouldn't be so mad if you noticed pretty much every faction has stupid balance shit and historical innacuracies that quite frankly don't matter shit.

I used to watch History Channel a lot.

It still hurts.

Current WC3 accounts are NOT connected to rest of Blizz game accounts, plus authentication is optional. In any case b.net allows the game to host server outside of the host's computer, which means no port handling and shit. Personally I'm fine with it because I already have b.net for SC2.

Oh don't get me wrong, penal battalions being armed with SVT-40 is fucking stupid, but it's just a drop that adds up to the sea of shit.

Eh, everyone made some interesting projects, Germans were just the guys who were most obsessed with them.

I know mang, but thing is the devs are retarded so best we can hope is for something resembling balance between the factions.
Anything else is too much to ask from those idiots.

Hell maybe even balance too.

Actually, it's the Undead who have the best defences.

I think you just need to rethink your strategy.
Orcs are fantastic since they have raiders who can ensnare both ground and flying units making the any advantages useless.

It's all right to be somewhat defensive with Humans since they are weak early on, but don't let it carry on when you're half way through the game.
If you know the enemy is going to make Frost Wyrms (you see the building and the animation), make Dragonhawks.
Also stop spending all of your money on towers.

I'm mostly concerned about being forced to use a permanent account.
I know it's a good way to stop smurfing, but I simply dislike it.

Reminder all RTT games are a sub-genre of RTS and are also considered on of the worst sub-genre

Turn-based > Real-time

Why does noone play nightelves?

Sure i know they're the weakest team to solo and are only useful for a few counters but noone seems to like them
Normally i play night elves or humans

I used to solely play them before because I really liked the Demon Hunter, but over time I moved on to Humans.

Holla Forums playing a FFA Warcraft 3 game when?

For me its never ever
being Australian is suffering
Due to blizzards inability to make game capable of selecting more than 12 units at a time, as well as the low pop limit micro managing ever more important in some battles
Unless you play orcs

The Demon Hunter is the single most loathsome hero in the entire game for me. Not because of his actual gameplay, but because he's so fucking edgy that I can't help but believe he spawns twelve-year-olds and emos around him every time he opens his mouth.

That Illidian was "CRAWWWWWLING IN MY SKIN" tier did not help, either.

Hey fellow ausfag. It's late, shouldn't you be sleeping? I'm sure you have some important things you need to do tomorrow!

AA+repair support was always the way to go. Support player who deployed arty were notoriously knows as "arty noobs" and were kicked off servers.

If you could select more than 12 the formations would probably be a clusterfuck.
Imagine 30 units trying to fit anywhere on a map.

Also, there's a built-in 1.5 second delay for those with less reliable internet.

As a former teen, I could relate to his edginess.
But to be fair, he only looks like the pure embodiment of edge because he is the edgiest of them all.

Overall, he's not that bad, just somewhat mentally unstable.

That's what I meant.

Maybe "somewhat" was a bit of an understatement, but you get the idea.

well he was a double agent, he did everything to help the elves

No problem user
I just finished my exams the other day
Unfortunately i have no friends to go drinking with and i'm poor

If so, he was an exceedingly poor double agent.

The main reason why there is a limit on units is because Warcraft 3 pathfinding, despite being pretty great for it's age, is extremely terrible at large crowds so all sorts of congestions may appear, compare CnC Generals with it's unlimited selection and narrow urban map streets for instance.

This is also a reason why game engine and editor have a hard limit for max unit speed, super fast units may cause a lot of confusion for the pathfinding system,

Speaking of blizzord, why the hell isn't Warcraft 2 in their battle.net thingy?

My laptop doesn't have a disk drive so I can't play my WC2 Bnet edition even though I own it legally. I've not been able to find a crack or a workaround to make it work.

you will never build that many scathis in a real game

it's still a fucking great game

Because all pre-WoW classic titles are either abandoned or being worked on extremely slowly so they're not exactly ready for the move to b.net 2.0 proper just yet.

I'm pretty sure he did everything to increase his own power. Helping his own along the way was only for those bonus PR points.
Also because he wanted to fugg Tyrande.

If there is one thing that is irredeemably bad in that game, it is the pathfinding.
Although the model collision sizes also help with making it terrible.

Yeah, Starcraft 2 kinda resolved it by allowing your units to push one another like bumper cars, but this just made intensive and tedious microing trying to move aside the injured units more crucial. I think Grey Goo kinda eliminated that, but not sure how good it's pathfinding is with large crowds of units.

This is why no one wants to make new RTS games.

Grey goo had pushing units too.

After 1943 Germans were outnumbered 1 to 10 in almost every single battle mate… But in a videogame battle after 1943 it's balanced and both sides can have the same size of armies.

Maybe calm your autism a bit, Jew lover.

more like

Do not pay attention to those people. It is likely they don't have very much experience in the genre.

I thought they kinda bumped one another too hard, which delayed the retreat in crowd instead, more or less.

Well it does have the best editor an RTS ever offered, too bad modding scene is dead due to early mistakes.

wow…. it didnt even sound like he was shilling. he was legit excited

is there any ww1 rts?

There's the great war mod for Company Of Heroes 1

OP said RTS not RTT

RA1 and TS
It's shit and 99% of it's playerbase is from leddit, don't ever mention that garbage again.

Well, there was Entente which played like a Cossacks mod, and then there was CoH 1 mod, like this user mentioned.

Anyone got that story user posted who forced them to change how engineers worked cause he knocked out two devs by capturing not just one, but two bases in the same match

Any of you faggots playing FAF?

Wargame: Red Dragon. Are the first two games dead.

What mistakes.

I've been playing the campaign for the last week or so. Such a comfy game. Night Elves have the best hero but are the worst race.

The mistake of being soulless Gooks!

I personally cant play CoH anymore after I played Men of War. Which to me is a direct improvement of CoH

Sure if you like pitiful animations and particle effects. As for the much vaunted realism of MoW, why don't you take a look at it's artillery mechanics and ranges? CoH has BK mod to fix it's realism issues. What does MoW have?

It was one dev, and he not only did it twice to the same dev, he did it 3 times knocking out the dev and someone else while on a foward tank-position by just using Navy Transports.

The buttmad was so massive that they made engineers so useless you can't even do an engi-rush on a small map anymore.

Voobly has a more active community, since they still use the classic PC version they have alot more mods and a lot less bugs/lag.

You're complaining about the standard and easily countered meta game, there is one solution: Git gud.

That's one unit that is very expensive and easily countered. Turks are a shit tier civ, if you think they're OP then cry less and play more.

Damn that is real massive kek.

Honestly I get maybe getting fooled once, maybe twice cause you don't think they are bold enough, but how do they fucking fall for it 3 times?

Hey, c'mon now anons, be fair, building some infantry is hard.

Time to get comfy

I don't know what's funnier, either that 500cred engineers prior to the nerf only had about two bursts of a 100cred rifleman's health, and you needed 3 engies to take out a building, meaning even one or two rifles near their refineries/MCVs could have saved their bases. Or the fact that they also made all tank shell types instabig them asides from the 5-second delay before even entering buildings.

How hard of a concept is this for people to grasp? Even the fucking AI in several C&C and RA games knew to do this.

They're fucking scrubs m8, they even added the RA2 flak trak for the Russians (despite Russians already having stupidly strong aereal superiority compared to Allied Longbows due to Yaks, Hinds and Migs) that can not only snipe enemy craft from beyond the fog of war's view but it can also snipe infantry and light vehicles with that same retardedly long range.

Men of War has mods like Valour, German Soldiers Mod and various modern mods like Red Rising; all of these are complete overhauls of the game.

Not dead yet. Both this thread and Cossacks 3.

halo wars 2

NEVER EVER

They announced HAAH WAAW 2 at E3, for PC and box.

And you honestly believe it will be good? They will find a way to fuck it all up, believe me.

I like it.
Too bad I haven't played SC in a while so I won't play it. I would like to play it against a friends or at least with gold player skill, because there is any match making in it and I don't won't to be too brutally raped.
But holy fuck I love defending from early rushes and nydus at 4 min mark.

Lets hope it will survive longer than StarBow. I like the fact it want to be fun more than repair SC2.

Also I started playing CO-OP. It is fun.

Have console RTS ever been good?

Well, from what I remember Halo Wars was the only good. Okay-tier was occupied by Endwar and Red Alert 3, and Shit-tier all belonged to Stormrise.

Another one of those scripted videos. Better than nothing i guess. They were promising that the beta will start any day now for months, so they should have functional gameplay at this point though.
As in you should be able to play a full skirmish match because otherwise it wouldn't really be beta and there would be no point in having any outsiders play it. Maybe they actually don't and that's why the signups have been going on for a while and still no indication when it starts.

I have yet to find my WC3/FT keys. I thought I'd registered them on battle.net a while back (like 2007-2008), but it doesn't seem to have carried over. :(

Check your account and see if the games show up or try registering them again.
If all else fails, contact customer support. At least Blizz still has the best one around.

And stop being a gay nigger faggot.

I'm looking for an RTS that has a 'world' campaign where you don't necessarily have to follow the story of a hero and can do your own thing.

In some RTS thread, some anons recommended playing Rise of Nations, but it somehow felt too simpllistic compared to the RTS games I've played before.

I've heard of the Total War series, and that Shogun 2 and Medieval 2 are the 2 best games the series has to offer right now.

Which of the two, if I only want one, should I get?

How about Rise of Legends?

I looked up, down and sideways in my account, no sign at all. I'll see if support can help. I can't reregister them (yet) because I don't know where the jewelcases are, hence why I tried to see if they were still registered so I could get them.

If there is no other recommendation, I'll try it out. Thanks!

this thread will never die

If you can't find the cases or at least the CDs, you might have a problem, since they'll probably ask for a photograph in case they don't find any trace of the games on your account.

God, no.

If you really want to try TW, get Rome 1 first and play with it since it's the easiest game.
Then move to Med 2. Finally, if you feel like having some more, there's always a plethora of mods.

the image is missing age of empires 3
i think it probably belongs in purgatory

how?
It wasnt that bad of an age of empires and it tried a bunch of new stuff, some parts worked, others didnt

It wasnt as good as age of empires 2 but it wasnt a bad game, I dont see how its on the level of red alert 3 or grey goo, games that were universally horrible

At the very least it didnt kill off its franchise

I thought you would be more annoyed at the "we wuz kings" expansion pack they released

I'm the user who actually did this. I shall retell my glorious tale of the OpenRA engineer rush which caused butthurt leading to the Engineer nerf.

Prematch Setup – Road to Kek

Start – The 1st Base Capture

Midgame – Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…..

End – Mopping up

Wait are you people telling me Command and Conquer has mutiplayer?

Capped for future prosperity

Like aren’t RA1 engineers the weakest ones in the series anyway because they only damage buildings unless it is in the red so you need several of them to capture rush ?
Why would you even nerf them further.
Well other than butthurt from i guess.

whats wrong with snip and paint?

Total war Warhammer has the best artillery in the series

Are you sure about this user?
I havn't play the total war version, but they did terrible in their previous games

Also the latest total war games before it was shit

I preferred my artillery like the ones in Company of Heroes

I cant even count the amount of times i accidentally fired on my own team

American had the most op artillery with the firestorm one, but i still preferred going the Axis

Shogun 2 artillery was pretty hard to beat but they outdid it.
TO THE POINT OF RAGE
I'm playing vampire counts and artillery is the bain of my existence since i don't get my own artillery or even ranged units. Magic makes up for it though since i can decimate enemy lines with the most powerful magic in the game. All the artillery is good save for the chaos hellcannon which is only slightly better than the Medieval 2 cannons.

except it did
there was no age of empires 4 after that game

Is there any video of this battle?

It does: cnc-online.net/

Also a while back the pre-Generals games on WOL were transferred to some other entity, it kept running but still required valid CD keys since apparently they got the database as well. Dunno if it still exists and I forgot the name anyway, started with an X or something.

Sadly no user, it was a spur of the moment thing and didn't save a replay

Just because theres no direct sequel doesnt mean the franchise is dead
What about Age of Empires II HD edition user?
I still hate what they did to the food icon
Who the fuck had the great idea to chain it to grain?

There were other reasons why Age of Empires 4 never came out

I'm still waiting for my Warlords Battle Cry 4 never ever

*Change

It's a damn real shame that they used an alpha version of the game, slapped steam-locked networking and some graphics from community made mods and called it an HD edition. It's still even buggier than the original game without the Conquerors expansion after all the patches, monks keep teleporting across the damn sea.

Anyone up for a few matches? I haven't played RA in a long fucking time and this seems like it's easy to setup.

Age of empires HD was a slap in the face to any true RTS fan
Now its just filled with Steamdrones, Reddit shills and Gookclickers

Age of empires 4 never came out because of Microsoft shutting down ensemble studios, but AOE HD pissed on the remains

Fuck, i guided myself on the other screenshot, i meant cncnet.org

I like the African campaign.

Campaign isnt the problem
Its the teams, they're leaps ahead of some of the other teams
Considerably one of them was in the top 3, although i cant remember which

Fucking archer elephants, times were much simpler when it was just the persians

Dawn of War 3 is coming out, any of you guys think its going to be good
it looks like it came out of league, all the characters look like toys

it will be shit, UNLESS they change direction completly. they still can do that, they are in alpha. problem is, they most likely wont.

DoW was never good. The first ones had randomized damage; I don't know if DoW2 had randomized damage too but it was just pure shit anyways.

user your treating it like theres a chance

pics related

Randomized damage, squads that ignore your precise controls in favour of AI determining unit position, overall shit balance. It was not a good RTS.

I use Greenshot is that good, I only ever use this shit for screencapping.

Well this is interesting, we're popular enough to get fucking targetted advertisement spambots now.

where the fuck are you mark

Did it recognize Spongebob from and post targeted advertisement?

Would it advertise Hey Arnold if someone posted reaction images from that?

i disagree

Those dont make it a bad game, it exceeds in almost all aspects
It had flaws which we expected to be fixed in DoW2 fyou cant imagine how fucking pissed i was
Theres nothing wrong with randomized damage values as long as there aren't huge differences between the minimum and maximum damage
Micromanaging units in battles isnt everyone's stick, hence the automated AI determining wasn't that annoying unless i'm trying to specifically move them to the correct place
Honestly it might not have been a bad idea if they allowed us to select units specifically in a squad to make them get into specific positions but it wasnt that bad
Some people found that fun user
Its nigh on impossible to make teams exactly balanced when they're significantly different as well as trying to fit them to lore standards.
I will admit that some teams were over powered, Specifically Eldar and imperial guard, but supposedly they were significantly nerfed in the patches but not enough

I would've thought that you would have attacked it over the low unit caps, shitty air and the fact that 1 unit in a squad still takes up its entire cap
While i admit there are flaws that doesnt make it a bad game

Also concerning your problems, i happen to think you would immensely enjoy starcraft 2, it suffers none of those problems and allows for precision micromanaging

Yes, it probably would of any related image.

Everyone, Post Your most Hated RTS

Bonus Points: its not something in the shadow Realm or Purgatory

I can post a few.

Count me in for Deserts of Krap - the only good thing about the game was dune terrain, everything else was "we want into esports" shit and mediocrity. The campaign was complete shit too, the end is literally "a wild ion cannon appears", don't mind that the home got burned to the ground, we got ion cannon guiz, that means we win game, the end.

How do you get good at RTS. I've played over 50 hours but I just can't seem to get good, what are tips to help. I play Company of Heroes and OpenRA but I've been thinking of acquiring Assault Squad 2 and Red Dragon.

I've actually heard some good things about homeworld deserts of jewrak
Not great things, but supposedly the first 3 levels are fun but then the whole game becomes repetitive and boring

Either way, since its treating itself as a prequel and is likely not to have any sequels, i cant really say it killed off the franchise pretty sure they must be working on a new homeworld

so for now until some user changes it, its in purgatory

Halo wars on the other hand killed off ensemble studios and all halo RTS's
Such irredeemable filth bel9ongs in the shadow realm

You watch how better players play and learn from them. You learn hot keys and tricks. You figure out how to outthink your opponent and plan for a rainy day.
And when that all fails, you accept that you'll eventually fall into a place your comfortable with and play against people you're happy to play against because you play for fun

And like that i'm already regretting my decision…

There's still some videos of it floating around, though. Too bad we'll never get to actually play it.

youtube.com/watch?v=BaRhK7EvgfQ

youtube.com/watch?v=JAyGbj-1t8Q

youtube.com/watch?v=a4htJV6cmb0

youtube.com/watch?v=Cynj9EZybCQ

I'm not much of a fan of the Halo franchise only played 1 and 3, but that looked like fun

Now my blood is boiling

I got whatever the fuck this Polish tub is I liked the art style.

Why is being a Halo fan suffering?

Patch 2.2a for Europa Barbarorum 2 was recently released.

twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?731998-Announcement-Europa-Barbarorum-2-2a-is-released!&s=150fede6ae5eea7c8357fb4f35787028

Europa Barbarorum 1 has had an update released after 8 years and will see more development once again. They're switching over to using the Total War Alexander engine because it has a bigger hardcoded unit roster limit.

twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Europa-Barbarorum-(EB)

This
Halo is just a rip off of Ring World crossed with Starship Troopers mixed with the antagonist from "The Thing"
Its got barely anything original in it and i find anyone who was a fan after Halo 3 intolerable

I bet he ended up talking trash about red alert 3.

i haven't played C&C 3, but this is a thing

Because you're munching on that corporate microsoft cock.

Don't worry user, there is more suffering incoming

What was wrong with this game? Other than it made me reinstall Zero Hour rather than want to play it

Hit me with THE BEST singleplayer RTSs, Holla Forums. Played Stronghold and Swarm Assault and that's all I know about RTSs
Are any of the stronghold sequels good by the way?

stronghold crusader is more of the same +sand and is good. stronghold2 sucked ass thanks to camera.

as for good single player campaigns:

Earth 2160

Because it was a forgettable spiritual successor of Act of War made by same devs. The new ideas didn't work out so great, plus the game lacked the awesome live-action cutscenes, had a more forgettable story and some balance issue. Worst of all they decided to create a "reboot edition" that downgraded all the innovation the game offered turning it into a slightly more modern version of Act of War with slightly altered tech trees.

Seriously though man, if you loved Generals, you should give a try to Act of War.
It's like CnC Generals except with better graphics, Prisoneers of war and vehicle damage systems, and a pretty damn challenging if not lacking in live-action cutscenes expansion.

Also, despite being a frog-made game it's very America Fuck Yeah if you're into that:

Red Alert 2
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Dawn of War Vanilla and Winter Assault

I will miss beautiful buildings and formations from C2

Supreme tastes. How did you get it to run? I tried to put it on a windows XP virtual box with no luck.

Those fucking puzzles in the campaign were the bane of my existence.

NEVER FORGET

Start with basic mainline RTS like RA and Warcraft 3 and continue from there.

Don't listen to anons that say "it's shit" on newer games because your tastes may be incompatible.
RA2 and Warcraft 3 were "hated" on realese too.

Never forget what?

The betrayal, the pain and the agony

[X}Tell me more

supcom 2

Total war sounds right up your alley. I'd get either Rome 1 or Medieval 2 to start with, as Shogun 2 (While still a lot of fun) is where the DLC practices started getting out of hand. Summer steam sale is expected next week, Rome & medieval 2 will go probably for about $1 each

uwot

At least I am old enough to remember this.
RA2 was called "cartoony"(which is ironic because RA2 fans said the same about RA3).

Warcraft3 had all kind of "blunder of century" "Blizzard is dead" endless complaining (and also too "cartoony"). People complained about every-fucking-thing that was different from W2 from heroes to no ships.

The pattern repeats infinitely.

What happened next?

I dont remember any of this shit
Didn't warcraft 3 sell better than warcraft 2?
I grew up preferring seven kingdoms and age of empires to the warcraft series, but warcraft 3 was essentially their best
And I'm not counting mods in that

I'm too young to remember how the release went, but I remember that everyone I knew was in love with the game.
Then again, it was 2005, we were all 12 or so and we had never even heard of Warcraft before that. Funny how it all repeats, eh?

I did play WC2 much later though, and I can tell you that I'm glad they took the ships out because all they did was inflate the play time pointlessly and had little value since controlling the water wasn't very useful and they couldn't effectively engage ground targets.

KANGZ

I'm not even joking, someone should post their newest blunders.

Hah. We can say this about any modern sequel or reboot because usually the audience spreads with predecessors fame.

"Dedicated fans"usually let emotions get the better of them especially if nostalgia clouds poor design decisions.
I know it because I did it too. Then, when RTS drought came, I picked many of those games I thought I disliked and ended up really enjoying them.

Probably worded that poorly, what i meant was how could it be called "the blunder of the century" if it wasn't a catastrophic loss

Also i remember that stuff about red alert 2 being too cartooney, but tbh i didnt really care

Ensemble studios isn't dead? Aren't they making the new one with 343? I liked Halo Wars just because it was simple and fun to play with friends.

Of course Warcraft 3 sold better. It was simpler and easier to play, lower unit count, emphasis on powerful heroes with in-game and fully animated cinematics.

But it was largely simpler. I remember a level 10 Arthas could basically destroy the entire undead base on the final human mission (on normal) just because loldivineshield.

I'm pretty sure the lower unit cap was due to pathfinding being absolute garbage and not casualisation.
Also, heroes had to be equipped with all kinds of items in order to get the most out of your army and there were a lot of combinations of units and various details that you had to keep track of.

Not to mention that it was a 3D game with very good graphics for its time (which is what probably got so many people to buy it) that hold up to this day and don't look ugly or dated.

I heard the lower unit count was to compensate for processing or something. But the point still stands, less units are easier to manage. And hero item management was not hard. You might put each one on a hotkey, then most of your units on another hotkey.

Going to set up a massive game of AoE2 HD edition with open entry in about an hour.

Anyone who has it on steam (or if you can connect to a cuck like me who has it on steam) come join.

Wew m8 it actually makes PA somewhat decent

they should focus on the real KANGZ

Neat.

Do you think if he was Jewish the Jews would see him as a hero and Saint?

Ofc they would

Let's keep the thread focused on vidya

Okay then,

METAL FATIGUE 2 WHEN

NEVER

They would just fuck it up anyways

Why do you hurt me so?

AoE 2.
CANT
BEAT
TREBS
BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

fug well anyway, it's up and waiting

do you have aofe

and AK too

nope, just vanilla.
Come join before we get flooded with gooks.

i only play with superior and definately not op malians 8(

Four more slots.
Probably starting soon.

You know damn well that there is such a thing as pushing too far into cartoony and blizzard has reached it with overwatch.
Hell I find myself agreeing with the guys that disliked hero units in wc3. They push away from the RTS focus.

Anyone ever heard of Theocracy?
Is there a game similar to it?
What I mean by similar is: RTS game with a fair bit of "exploration", missions and whatnot

Successful game. Thanks to everyone who played.

I can smell the greek asshurt from here

Basically

ARE WE STILL PLAYING AOE 2, WHAT ABOUT IN THE MORNING OR NOON.

I'll set up another game in an hour ish
Would be nice to make this a regular thing if we get enough demand.

welp, guess it's time to see if i can get aoe 2 to work on mac

well aren't i lucky, i found a mac osx version with all the expansion packs at the top of the list on kat.cr

Just end it fam damn

I'm running a legit game through steam so if you can get it to work, sure. Current version is 4.1.919850.

It's moments like this I wish RTS games had terrain deformation physics. I'd love to see the massive hole left by that.

i wish for death during every waking hour of my life

This is the same feeling i get when i heard Darwins theory of evolution was tampered with by his wife

Or that Galileo's research was destroyed by his relatives

I love Cena sometimes.

fuck man, you're going to give me nightmares. Fucking eldritch nightmare fuel. That manga was fucking messed up.

Since the Summer sale is 5 days I was wondering if I should get AS2 and remembering some memories from the first AS what does CoH 1 have over it.

kek, this was etiher made by some 4chon fag who idolizes anonymoose or someone from plebbit.

Damn m8, you could buy CoH1&2 for like 8 bucks with all expansions in Humble bundle some time ago.
I never played AS2 because of problems I had with AS1 and Gamespy.
I did hear some not really reassuring things about AS2 like unit unlocking and problems with stable connection. I always felt that CoH is better for multiplayer and MoW for single player.

tbh fam in last human mission he got frostmourne and could one shot everything

downloaded entente. it is cool, only one problem, the buildings look like this.

Saved from page 12.
AoE2 game is up and waiting
There are 8 slots, full tech tree unlocked, 500 pop cap.

Room name is Just Fugging Join

Where is it.

RIP jesus horseman

Could have been worse.

Next time I've got to remember to make the map smaller.
Great job everyone who came.

This is unrelated to RTS games, but why do people always justify their opinions on something being shitty and unoriginal because it was based on multiple other sources?

By that logic, Star Wars is garbage because it knocks off Flash Gordon, The Dam Busters, and The Hidden Fortress. Lord of the Rings is garbage for taking everything in its setting from the folklore and history of England. Shit, The Thing, which you mentioned, was just a gorier remake of the 1950's movie "The Thing From Another World", which in turn was based on a novel.

Or hey, let's even make this about RTS's and look at the fact that Command & Conquer is based on a combination of Dune and the Yugoslavian Civil War, which was ongoing at the time of the game's development. They even take the idea of Tiberium straight from a shitty 50's B-movie called The Monolith Monsters.

The idea that Halo is bad for being inspired by a myriad of different settings, a combination that actually made it quite unique, is really uninformed about how the human imagination works.

Very nice post user but Dune was made by the same company.
Where the fuck is the reflection unto the game.

It's a televised war between UN peacekeeping forces vs guerilla armies engaged in genocidal operations, with locations in the Balkans taking up a large portion of the game's campaign. Nod's Temple is even located in Serajevo.

Actually, in general, C&C seemed to follow a lot of fears and conflicts at the time. Tiberian Sun took place during an era with no real wars being televised in America, and so Nod was turned into a faction that represented a lot of the fears of the internet and cybersecurity, with the devastation brought to Earth by Tiberium likely also being inspired by a lot of the panic of global warming and environmental catastrophe that was really starting to take shape in the late 90's. C&C3 had the most overt references, with Nod becoming more like a fanatical jihadist faction that employs suicide bombers, obviously paralleling the then recent wars in the Middle East.

Another thing, too, is C&C contains some more overt Biblical references, as well (Kane being the most obvious).

Also when I brought up Dune, I was referring to the series as a whole; Frank Herbert wrote Dune long, long before Westwood made PC games based on it.

Anyway this isn't me arguing that there's no such thing as something seeming uninspired; I think there are things that are blatantly unoriginal. For example, that new Star Wars movie, which copy+pastes nearly everything from the original 1977 movie (even down to shoehorning in old cast members), while doing almost nothing new for the series. That's very clearly an example of something being unoriginal, uninspired, and safe.

That's right, Jay.

are you joking user? is this bait?

Inspiring doesnt do what they did justice, there was not a myriad of different sources
The whole thing was rehash of the Ring Worlds universe with a generic Hero plot shoved on top
they took key points from the ring world universe, slapped the soldiers from starship troopers on the front, added the eldritch horror known as "the thing" And then called it a game, there was nothing else original apart from the generic shitty Hero plot.

The ring worlds were taken from Ring World,
The Weapon that destroyed all life in the galaxy to prevent Cthulhu from taking over was taken from ringworld
The war between Humanity and an alien race of slavers occurred in Ringworld
The fact that humanity didn't originate on earth but actually came from somewhere else as refugees after a civilization collapsing event occurred in ringworld
Even the precursor civilization, the fact that their home world was destroyed and that humanity are refugees occurred in Ringworld

Are you telling me that COD isnt shitty, despite the fact that every game as subsequently copying each over and over?
Are you telling me those generic Shounen mangas are quality despite the fact that they almost entirely rip off each other?
Are you telling me if i rip off something else entirely apart from a few names, that no aspect of it being copied should have any role in its judgement?

Still this is all irrelevant, a game shouldn't be judged solely on its plot, Namely Gameplay is the deciding factor of the quality of a game, Everything else is completely subjective
If we were just discussing the setting and plot of halo then it might be relevant

I think his point wasn't that games/plots that have been rip offs of other things are good, just that it's a flimsy reason for saying a game is bad.

The vast majority of stories can be said to be a ripoff of Gilgamesh in one way or another but that doesn't mean they're automatically bad. Some blatant rip offs are good, sometimes even better than the thing they're ripping off.

Way to completely miss my point. You frame originality as something that is not at all based on anything else, when there is no such thing. All of human invention stems from something before it.

And anyway, to reiterate my point in my other post:

You can call things unoriginal for being clearly based on market research and trends to try and make a quick buck. That's why COD-clones are reviled, since they clearly borrow the visual and mechanical details of Cowadooty, because it's an easy way to get at least decent sales.

Compare that with Halo, which genuinely seemed like a passion project of Bungie, who wanted to develop a shooter that played on a larger scale than its contemporaries, and had more military elements, instead of being more fantasy-like. Though if there's anything really uninspired about Halo, it'd have to be the guns, which somehow manage to all have really striking, memorable designs yet all feel totally bland and by-the-numbers.

Also I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Starship Troopers, when Halo was clearly more inspired by Aliens, even down to having the cigar-chomping black sergeant. If anything is a knockoff of Starship Troopers, that'd be 40k (which by your reasoning is the most unoriginal setting ever, since it rips off Dune, the Catholic Church and every 80's action movie ever).

Anyway, this is a topic that extends far beyond the scope of videogame plots. This video elaborates better on what I'm talking about than I could: youtube.com/watch?v=coGpmA4saEk

I aint clicking on that nigga

Nothing to fear there, user. It's just "Everything is a remix" album.

Bam

New game up
Just Fugging Join (kiwiland). Same shit as last time.

AoE2 HD Edition.

Anyway, great work everyone who showed up. Input lag at its absolute worst though. Fucking Argentinians.

I want to fug that Spurdo

Age of Mythology

So anons, is there any RTS's that are coming out worth talking about?

Xwis aka strike-team xwis.net/forums/ xwis.net/game-account/
But it is relevant only for RA2 and Renegay, also was for TS but cncnet took over whole TS playerbase.
Xwis requires original cdkeys to play
CNCNet doesn't require them

remember using attack ground on battleships/juggernauts ballistae/catapults to bust up submarines?

im not judging dawn of war 3 until i see it played for real

Cossacks 3 maybe.

One of the big problem of the game (same with the wargame series) is that it's a small studios that doesn't have a good play testing base. During the beta they were making crazy changes, and ultimately they revamped the whole games after launch (reboot thing).

Blizzard play test too much, Eugen not enough.

Don't forget about the BLUFORCE bias, although that's to be expected from eurodevs.

Don't the Redfor absolutely rape and are OP as fuck in Wargame?

Can someone please explain to me why Supreme Commander 2 is shit compared to FA? I want good points to counter plebs who think downgrading it and making it accessable is a good thing.

There was also something from with the mass fabricators if i remember
Like you actually had to click on them to get them to work

Not to mention the art design was absolutely shit.

You could tell Square Enix was publishing it, it was full of edgy weeb shit

Is there any torrent version that's been used for the AoE games or can I use any copy as long as its HD? I feel the itch to play the damn game again after years and want to git semi-gud. And out of curiosity, why the lack of expansions?

Am I the only one who kinda liked DoK? I mean the campaign had next-to-no replayability to it, but the units were pretty cool and the gameplay was pretty solid… as long as you don't count the broken AI in skirmish mode or the fact that the enemy units just keep spawning in the campaign instead of being just a solid set number.

Okay so maybe it wasn't that great, but it just holds something that I like about it. Maybe I'm just too much of a Homeworld fanboy.

Those aren't the actions of someone who loves Homeworld user, those are the actions of an idiot of mistakes a franchise for the game
Its like the people who defend hearthstone because they like WoW, blizzdrones if you will

regardless DoK wasn't actually too bad a game, its just that it got empty very quickly as the missions became repetitive and easy, almost to the point of a chore

But yeah, i can see how people can like it in the first few missions

Not a fucking clue. I'm using a legit steam copy because it's what I have. I got gifted it for my birthday a few years back.
Because I don't want to shell out the sheqles for them.
As I've found, though, if you don't have he expansion and you join a game set up by someone with them, you get all the extra research and abilities from the expansions but can't play any of the expansion civs. For example I played Britons and had the ability to research arson which you can't in vanilla.

I couldnt get a torrent of one with the multiplayer working so i instead bought it online when it was Cheap
regardless that was a while ago so thers probably a working one now

Well that's a fucking bummer. Fucking things 20 bucks on Steam and while I wouldn't necessarily feel bad for paying that much for HD, I'd rather not waste money on it if we don't somehow get consistent Holla Forums games going and shit

that is in no way worth it
Wait for a sale
Or alternatively grab a better game, like WBC3
Shits on sale at GOG if you want to buy

The people profiting off this aren't the original devs, I wouldn't pay more than 5 bucks for it.

I'll set up a game in an hour. Same deal as before though this time it might actually be an hour exactly.
Have a best girl to tide you over in the mean time.

HOW DARE YOU BAD GOI
These people are spending significant portions of there time working and slaving to bring this game back to life, If it wasn't for them you wouldn't even be playing AOE
If you truly loved it the original Devs, then give to the current devs that are developing the game for HD
Shame on you Goy

Bloody hell, need to find a torrent to see if it works with pirated copies now.

Eh, for fun times in MP and relieving my childhood I wouldn't mind the price tag, I just doubt this shit has an active enough community to be worth even those 5 bucks else I'd jump on it.

If you find a copy with functional multiplayer, I can wait for you.

I did manage to get my hands on an African Kingdoms torrent that seems to contain every other expansion, but as far as it actually working I'm not entirely sure. I do believe GameRanger could make it work but it might be too much of a headache for you guys.

Alright it's up.

You know the drill:
AoE2 HD Edition
Regicide this time
Just Fugging Join is the game name.

FUCK

what are my options?

you're fucked user
I'm in the same boat

I hear supcom is still popular, you could possibly try RA2 mental omega which has to have some fans

You could try Kingdom Wars 2, i played the first 1 and it was pretty neat if not for the almost pay2win option
Waiting for a steam sale for the second one, although I'm hearing its even more p2W

Anyone here played it? the second one i mean

DoW "we want the MOBA audience" 3 looks like shit so far. I hope I'm wrong and it's going to be amazing though.

Every time i here that i hear Dungeon Defenders 2
Its like "Hey you know whats a good idea? lets Alienate our entire Audience because LOL is making money and MOBA's are fun"

MOBA's are cancer and even there title is cancerous, They're so cancerous that even other games will get infected by them

Moba's are dead. They found the next big huge popular game type that's going to be popular to pander to, and it looks like Overwatch is the winner.

Enjoy an entire generation shaped by rise and fall ASSFAGGOTS (since none will topple the ones that exist) and CRAPCUNTS trying to be the 'Overwatch killer'.

Noice

But seriously at least this cancer has moved onto FPS, and therefor shouldn't pose a threat to RTS's anymore
right guys?

Okay maggots, what should be the theme of the next RTS thread?

Starwars Galactic Battle Grounds

'I Just Wanted To Play a TD' Edition

New Thread where

Soon. It has to hit page 16 first.

How about "Someone actually join a game edition"

I mean I'm down for almost anything, as long as it doesn't involve buying shit.

New Thread: